Dress Standards on Public transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
ZD30Nissan

Dress Standards on Public transport

Post by ZD30Nissan »

Hi all,
I know I have read somewhere about required levels of dress on Public tpt (ie. males have to have at least a singlet on) I thught it was part of the Passenger Transport Act, however cant find it anywhere.

Thanks for any help
hugh45

Re: Dress Standards on Public transport

Post by hugh45 »

I have noticed young women wearing costumes on buses from Bondi and Coogee. Also young men only wearing a pair of shorts. However, most passengers wear appropriate clothing on public transport.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

While there isn't anything I can see, the Act (in NSW at least) that more likely would cover such a thing is the "Passenger Transport (General) Regulation 2017", particularly starting from Part 5 ("Conduct of passengers and other persons in or on public passenger vehicles, trains and railway premises").

Edit:

Part 4, number 35(2), now repealed used to say:
"The driver of a public passenger vehicle (other than a taxi-cab or a private hire vehicle) must be clean and tidy and wear clean and tidy clothes including enclosed shoes) when driving the vehicle for the purpose of providing a public passenger service.
Maximum penalty: 10 penalty units."

ie. the driver had to be neat and tidy (even that's not the case any more?), but if there was a clause for passengers it must have been long repealed from legislation.
Last edited by pgt on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Even if there are rules, enforcement of them is usually discouraged by the powers that be for fear of offence or undue inconvenience :roll:
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I can recall from years back there was a requirement that passengers had to wear at least a singlet or equivalent. I’ve seen people denied boarding buses without it.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”