Xtrapolis Vs Comeng

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Admet75

Xtrapolis Vs Comeng

Post by Admet75 »

Last weekend I ventured out to Werribee Zoo with my lovely wife we caught the train and then a bus from Werribee. The train ride using the Xtrapolis from Southern Cross to Werribee limited stop was okay until after Newport and even before that we noticed it swung alot along the way especially over points. I don't know if it was the track or the train itself that was at fault. However, returning we had a Comeng and it was a smooth ride? Can someone please explain the differences.
1whoknows

Re: Xtrapolis Vs Comeng

Post by 1whoknows »

We dont call em Xcrapolis for nothing.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Heihachi_73

Re: Xtrapolis Vs Comeng

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Just like most of Victoria's train tracks, the Werribee line has been asre since forever. Even a Comeng or Siemens with brand new bogies (including airbags, shocks and bushings) bounces all over the place on bad track.

Like with every other train, there are good X'Traps and there are bad X'Traps. The bad ones ride just as terribly on their own turf (Burnley/Clifton Hill groups) even at low speed e.g. 60 km/h, and you will hear the worn-out suspension bushings clunk while feeling every single bump and mud hole (X'Traps don't have platform-height gouges in their sides for nothing - in fact, an Up X'Trap clobbered platform 2 at Ringwood in 2015 on day 1 of the station having been rebuilt). Disc brake Comengs also make clicking noises when the bushings are shot - tread brake cars with worn shocks also make a ton of noise through the airbags(?) as well, whenever I hear the sound of a tread brake Comeng bouncing on rough track it reminds me of someone spamming the Howzat button in Super International Cricket.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”