SmartRider Upgrade

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Traklink

SmartRider Upgrade

Post by Traklink »

Finally some tangible progress on this.
SmartRider Upgrade Project

The State Government is investing approximately $58 million to modernise SmartRider, Transperth’s cashless ticketing system.

The project involves the replacement of all SmartRider readers and upgrades of the back-end technology.

Rolled out in a staged approach, the upgrades involve the installation of new SmartRider validators and software, a new generation SmartRider card with more advanced card encryption technologies, and the ability to pay for fares by credit card, debit card or smart device.

Stage 1 Testing

Stage 1 will involve the testing of the next generation readers at Claisebrook, East Perth, Glendalough, Perth and Warwick stations.

Additionally, new Add Value Machines will undergo public testing at Warwick and Joondalup stations. Along with adding value these machines will be able to sell standard SmartRiders.

Testing is expected to commence in late 2023 and run until early 2024.

For more information on Stage 1 testing, please visit the Transperth Website.

Stage 1 Rollout

Once testing is complete, the first stage of the project will see the installation of over 4,200 new SmartRider readers at train stations and on buses and ferries.

The new Add Value Machines will also be rolled out replacing the current machines.

SmartRider was introduced over 15 years ago and was widely recognised as the best cashless ticketing system in the country.

For more information on the changes to SmartRider and the ticketing system visit the Transperth Website.
https://pta.wa.gov.au/projects/current- ... de-project
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: SmartRider Upgrade

Post by Merc1107 »

Honestly, why hasn't a SmartRider vending machine been rolled out sooner? This would be a great addition to Perth Airport, and other areas popular with tourists, where it is not always clear who & where SmartRider vendors are, and if they are at the Station, would at least make SmartRiders readily available vs kiosks with limited opening hours.

Much as I applaud this step, it's somewhat redundant given other payment methods will soon be available.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

From the ministers Facebook page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

My query is regarding the "new generation SmartRider card" - will existing SmartRider cards stop working at some point in the future?
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

will this new smart rider can pay by credit card (Like Opal sydney and new GoCard QLD)
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

That's what it says in the opening post!
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

pasha241 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 am will this new smart rider can pay by credit card (Like Opal sydney and new GoCard QLD)
Also SimplyGo system used in Singapore since the past year or two.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

New SmartRider readers have been installed at Claisebrook and East Perth, however are not yet active.

EDIT: Also reported to be installed in the same inactive state at Glendalough.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Bus Suggestions

Rollout of new validators on buses has commenced, 3200 noted with new readers installed on an afternoon 441.

Two fare gates at Perth Station have had updated readers installed and entered into service as of yesterday - these are on the eastern (upper level) concourse opposite Boost Juice.

Verdict? I went to the city this afternoon, and while the display is nice and large with readability in mind, the processing speed is noticeably delayed - a shame, since this was a strength with the original equipment. The "tag on success" beep of the new readers sounds the same as the "out of service" beep on the current readers - great ( :roll: ) for those who can quickly associate negative/positive consequences based on sound cues. Although the reader itself and interface have a sleek and clean modern design, their installation can make them seem a tad... ungainly.
Bus Suggestions

Images taken by a friend who was onboard 3200:
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

I used the Glendalough Station one yesterday, and while it looks much nicer than the two old gen ones, I agree with how much slower it seemed to process. The beeps for the unsuccessful tag on were quite loud too (which I can get for that spot since its under the freeway and next to a main road), but its still a fair bit louder than expected.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The new ones in Brisbane are also noticeably slower than their predecessors, which were extremely sensitive (far more so than the SmartRiders).
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 pm The new ones in Brisbane are also noticeably slower than their predecessors, which were extremely sensitive (far more so than the SmartRiders).
And the new ones in Adelaide also seem slower! Maybe adding the functionality of bank card requires it to be a bit slower?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:31 pmMaybe adding the functionality of bank card requires it to be a bit slower?
Aside from the validators having to identify which type of card is in use, the back-end must now charge credit/debit cards and keep a record of which card is where, so the appropriate fare can be charged, all in real time. Whereas the current SmartRider system operates, for the most part, offline as I understand it. Touching on and off buses, top-ups on buses etc all typically take 24hrs or more to appear in your history (although it is instantaneously applied at train stations or add-value machines). So at least in theory, the validator identifying the card, and applying the correct means to process the transaction, would definitely take longer than a machine designed specifically to work with the present generation of SmartRider.

It would be interesting to hear if people's SmartRider history is now showing up instantaneously now that the rollout of the new validators is starting.
Bus Suggestions

Merc1107 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:17 pm It would be interesting to hear if people's SmartRider history is now showing up instantaneously now that the rollout of the new validators is starting.
Not quite instantaneous, but much quicker than previously - had a go at Warwick (where one fare gate has had the new readers installed), transaction showed up on My Account within 15 minutes.

The following buses have been observed with new SCVs:
Italics denote buses beyond the original trial fleet of 10.
List last updated: 4th December 2023, 20:55 AWST
Last edited by Bus Suggestions on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

3224 has stickers inside the bus 'promoting' the new validators, while 3222 doesn't.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Bus Suggestions

RE: my previous listing above…
Transperth have since gone ahead and put the new SCVs on more than the 10 initially stated to be trialled. Most Beenyup B8s appear to have them installed, apart from 3201, 3203-06, 3209-10, and 3213-16, although may receive them in the coming month anyway.
Bus Suggestions

2559 is the first B7 to receive new SCVs, bringing the total number of buses with new SCVs to 18 (accounting for about a third of Beenyup's fleet).
Bus Suggestions

The new Add Value Machine at Joondalup is active, as of yesterday. Will check to see if the Warwick one is online, and get pictures soon.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Have noticed the new readers are now rolling out along the Joondalup line, while Bayswater is getting the new AVMs (one card, one cash so far).
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
hack404

Post by hack404 »

The new machines are apparently on track to be installed by mid-year
When will these be installed across the Transperth network?

The deployment of the new machines will take place in a phased manner following the successful pilot phase. The rollout of these machines is expected to commence and be completed during the first half of 2024.
subtekjr

Post by subtekjr »

High Wycombe's got the new readers too, I would assume the other Airport Line stations do too but don't quote me!

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”