NEW BOOK - Farewell State Transit by Greg Travers

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

NEW BOOK - Farewell State Transit by Greg Travers

Post by J_Busworth »

For those who haven't already seen, Greg Travers has released a new book through the Sydney Bus Musuem titled 'Farewell State Transit'.

It is a complete history of Government Bus Services in New South Wales between 1932-2022.

https://shop.sydneybusmuseum.com/produc ... cst=custom
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Re: NEW BOOK - Farewell State Transit by Greg Travers

Post by Ben_Daui »

I got my book in the post yesterday, it’s a very nice Hard Cover book.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I've only been able to have a short look at the book however it is a very lovely detailed book packed full of STA History history & I believe photos that haven't really been seen before(?). I've learnt from the book that some of the O405 PMC 160 buses had a short stint in Newcastle I believe prior to the MAN 11.220 Ansair Oranas arriving to Newcastle where I then believe after the MAN's were introduced the O405 PMC's down in Newcastle went back to Sydney.

The book also mentioned prototype m/o 3511 also visiting Newcastle on it's original demonstrator run, but shame Newy didn't end up getting the L113CRL's unfortunately. (Tho later in life an ex STA Scania L113CRL did get to have another short but well lived life in Newcastle with Newcastle Transport, former 3698).
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

How much of it is a repeat of his 1982 book? A lot has happened in the subsequent 40 years.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
HunterLine5

Post by HunterLine5 »

Also goes well with the book put out called “End of an Era” the history of the S.T.A. and it’s predecessors here in Newcastle, very well put together by Margaret Parnell, A very respected Newcastle Buses driver and Trainer.
Super chuffed to have both books, damn lots of great pictures and memories, thanks again, Greg and Margaret!.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

I have received my copy of Farewell State Transit.

Having been part of the STA for over one third of its existence, I found the book to be very comprehensive and look forward to reading it in detail.

Even the period when STA ran the ferries is included. I particularly enjoyed Greg's account of his time in Operations and Depot management, and relate very much to not only the daily challenges of depot life, but also to the Olympic period and the joys and satisfaction of service planning.

Congratulations Greg on producing such an awesome tribute to our STA.
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

I love reading my copy of the book but is there a pdf version of this book?
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
DavidSiefert

Post by DavidSiefert »

Special_K wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:45 pm I have received my copy of Farewell State Transit.

Having been part of the STA for over one third of its existence, I found the book to be very comprehensive and look forward to reading it in detail.

Even the period when STA ran the ferries is included. I particularly enjoyed Greg's account of his time in Operations and Depot management, and relate very much to not only the daily challenges of depot life, but also to the Olympic period and the joys and satisfaction of service planning.
I didn't even know such books existed. It's interesting what they write about. Just recently I was studying the american imperialism essay, used that site for that. Now after reading I want to study this bus transit. Maybe it's strange, but for me everything new becomes automatically interesting.
Congratulations Greg on producing such an awesome tribute to our STA.
It is something new for me
Last edited by DavidSiefert on Mon May 01, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's 10 years since those largely disliked (misunderstood to me) MAN SL202s at M were withdrawn. They would have saved State Transit considerably in fuel bills over their 24 years in service with them. They were very reliable and would have been out on the road bringing in revenue more than the other buses.
I remember Greg Travers stint as depot manager at M. It would have been about 1999 from memory.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”