Fastest areas on the Brisbane network?

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Fastest areas on the Brisbane network?

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Hi all.
Planning a holiday to Brissy and I'm wondering where the fastest areas that EMUs, IMUs, SMUs, etc. run. Trying to find info on the Brisbane network is proving quite difficult for me, I can't figure out what lines the IMUs run on for example. I love riding and filming trains at speed, especially older models.
Any other interesting parts of the network would be greatly appreciated.
I prefer my catches rare.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Fastest areas on the Brisbane network?

Post by Merc1107 »

Gold Coast & Airport lines are more or less the exclusive haunt of the NGR. It seems as though Ferny Grove - Beenleigh is mixed bag of all the other types (very stop-start) and not NGRs. From there, you get varying mixes of the fleet types.

A few services to the North like the Caboolture line have a number of skip-stop patterns once you leave the congested inner-city areas of the track which may be useful for videography.
Some of the platform indicators will show an icon to denote a service operated by an NGR. That gives you a starting indication of what to expect.
GriffinRoads1

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

I'll mostly be based around Bald Hills, what are the stops skipped along the Caboolture line?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

I'm not familiar enough with the geography of Brisbane and surrounds to really say - be best to pour over some timetables to answer your question on what is skipped on a Caboolture service:
Caboolture
Inner City
Inner North
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The curvy nature of the Brisbane train network precludes speed in general. The Gold Coast line south of Beenleigh is the only serious candidate for speed, apart from the intercity tilt trains. The Gold Coast trams keep up a reasonable pace, the fastest Australian tram line along with Canberra.
TLK
Favourite Vehicle: QR's EMU 14
Location: Waiting to see which 30 series EMU is next to be overhauled.

Post by TLK »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:01 pm I'll mostly be based around Bald Hills, what are the stops skipped along the Caboolture line?
For Caboolture services they run express from Northgate to Petrie.
Formerly Mullet111
Tell me you didn't just say that!
AirBusTrain
Favourite Vehicle: VSTs and Commodores.

Post by AirBusTrain »

Best bet for anything at high speed is definitely Beenleigh to Varsity Lakes (GC line). If you're keen, wait at Beenleigh around 6pm during the week, you may score a chance of getting an IMU160. Rarely do 100/120/200/220s run down there, as well as EMUs, which are rare as hens teeth to be ran on the GC line. For EMUs, your best bet is Beenleigh line and Ferny Grove line. Other than that, NGRs are dominant on a lot of the lines, except Beenleigh and Ferny services.

If you're the film-on-platform kinda bloke, best spot for filming trains is Sunshine station, Springfield/Redcliffe trains stop there, but you can get The Tilt, express services (pretty good especially during the arvo where you could possibly spot an express EMU, maybe), diesels (Aurizon and PN) and other express/ fast trains. Note, some of my info may be a bit off as I haven't been train spotting for quite some time.
I like big bus and I can not lie.
GriffinRoads1

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Heading off tomorrow, thanks al for your information. I'll put it to good use.
GriffinRoads1

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Wow, what a week. Staying in Uralla right now, thank you all for your helpful information. One of the highlights was flying along to Petrie on a rush-hour EMU, lights flickering, motor roaring, horn blaring, carriage rattling, the whole nine yards.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”