Railway Observations for 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Glen

Re: Railway Observations for 2022.

Post by Glen »

Randomness wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:52 pm https://rtbuexpress.com.au/nsw-governme ... XTmEgCR954

Union Statement dosen't say much about full or partial service reinstatement. There are however, some probable industrial actions for tomorrow that i'd imagine would be the reason for a limited service:
- Continuing the Overtime Ban
- Continuing the Foreign Depot working ban
- Train Crew will not accept altered working
- Train Crew to sign on and off at their appointed Home Depot.
- Train Crew to not accept any change to their current Master Roster
- Train Crew will not accept transpositions slips
- Regional Drivers will not accept changes to current timetabled stopping patterns
That's an interesting list. Where did you find that?
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Glen wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:33 pm
Randomness wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:52 pm https://rtbuexpress.com.au/nsw-governme ... XTmEgCR954

Union Statement dosen't say much about full or partial service reinstatement. There are however, some probable industrial actions for tomorrow that i'd imagine would be the reason for a limited service:
- Continuing the Overtime Ban
- Continuing the Foreign Depot working ban
- Train Crew will not accept altered working
- Train Crew to sign on and off at their appointed Home Depot.
- Train Crew to not accept any change to their current Master Roster
- Train Crew will not accept transpositions slips
- Regional Drivers will not accept changes to current timetabled stopping patterns
I believe some of these issues, such as discontinuing the overtime ban, were resolved in the agreement that was reached on Saturday, which would enable trains to keep running. The government reneged on that agreement based on some spurious safety issues, yet to be identified, by shutting down the network.

As Scott4570 pointed out, the agreement reached on Saturday still stands, so there is no reason for any further disruption to services, while negotiations on outstanding matters continues.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I can't remember how long ago it was but some years back (not too long ago) I remember a dispute that caused so much disruption it was like they just made up the timetable as they went along.

I recall standing at Central platform 18 & 19 watching as trains rolled in and station staff would check with the driver and then shout out "He's continuing on....."
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

https://rtbuexpress.com.au/ministers-co ... al-action/

Despite it being on their website, the RTBU didn’t state the actions on their Facebook Sunday evening. Created a bit of mixed messaging to members from what I’ve read on the post.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Interesting, I found this there too.

Judging by this you'd think nowhere in the world operated DOO trains.

Reminds me of the early design of the Tangaras for a roving Guard.

Ministers’ commitment on the NIF and further industrial action
Feb 12, 2022Loco Express News RTBU News
Arising from the commitments given by the Transport Minister on Tuesday, on Thursday 10 February we sought confirmation on his commitment regarding the NIF.

Specifically, we asked for confirmation that his commitment meant:

The Agreement (or Agreements) will contain a term prohibiting the use of Driver Only Operations.
Enable the crew cab door to open as the train is arriving at the platform and remain open as the train departs the platform.
Reposition the bell and passenger door controls to the crew cab door to allow the Guard to supervise the boarding and alighting process and provide an “Absolute Right of Way”.
Move the CCTV monitors in the crew cabs to allow them to be used as an aide for the Guard in the departure process while standing at the open crew cab door, and to ensure the Driver is not distracted while driving the train.
Alteration to infrastructure to ensure that the Guard is in a crew cab (not the drivers crew cab) that is on the platform at all times
Mandated procedures on the following:
Station Staff or On-Board Repeater’s ability to indicate to the Guard both visually and audibly that it is safe to commence the departure process.
The Guard to be the primary source of accountability for the departure process.
The Guard is to visually and audibly manage the platform train interface.
CCTV screens in drivers cab to be turned off, at all time.
No inward facing in-cab camera will be operative in the crew cabs.
We also sought confirmation that this commitment had equal application to the New Regional Fleet (NRF) project given the reference to Passenger Service Supervisors (PSS). Once we receive a response from the Minister, we will inform members accordingly.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Glen wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:43 pm I can't remember how long ago it was but some years back (not too long ago) I remember a dispute that caused so much disruption it was like they just made up the timetable as they went along.

I recall standing at Central platform 18 & 19 watching as trains rolled in and station staff would check with the driver and then shout out "He's continuing on....."
I remember that happening back in the 1970s when they introduced the shambolic timetable that was impossible for trains to keep up with.

One evening I was waiting at Central for a train to Campbelltown and chatting to the relieving guard for that service. He asked the CSA when the train would be due, they told him it had already left.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Two edits about D & V sets, which are also being discussed in another thread, have been deleted/
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

At Central today, T3 Bankstown services are operating from platform 19 and T9 Hornsby services from Platform 22 via CC.

A couple of nights ago, there were no T1/T9 services operating between Central and Wynyard, with North Shore passengers having to catch CC services and change at Wynyard.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Route548

Post by Route548 »

So I tweeted at Trains Info to find out whats going to happen this weekend (as they appear to only tweet the next day's service level very late in the day) and got told tomorrow is still the same timetable as this week but Sunday will be back to a Sunday timetable; whether that means its a normal Sunday timetable with 15 min services in most metro lines remains to be seen.
I am the herring-slapper everyone fears (well not really but still....)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Has anybody seen an explanation of actually why trains are so limited at the moment? (i.e. which specific industrial action).
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2022/maj ... y#homepage

Major disruption 26 February: Trains will run to a reduced frequency
Friday 25 February 2022

On Saturday 26 February limited rail services will run on the Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink intercity rail network.

Delays are expected on Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink Intercity services. Trains will run to a reduced timetable and some services will be cancelled.

On Saturday 26 February

Limited train services are running on the Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink Intercity network.
Trains will run every 30 minutes on some Sydney Trains suburban lines, and services will be stopping at all stations so customers should expect longer journey times.
T5 Cumberland Line services are cancelled.
Buses will replace trains on the T3 Bankstown Line between Bankstown and Lidcombe. T3 Bankstown Line services between Liverpool and the City will continue to run, however at a reduced frequency.
Buses will replace trains on the T8 between Campbelltown and Macarthur.
NSW TrainLink Intercity trains will be running limited services, every hour on most lines.
NSW TrainLink Regional services are running but may experience delays.
Buses will replace trains on the T1 between Hornsby and Berowra.

If you need to travel, please consider:

Driving where possible or catching taxis and rideshare. Traffic may be heavier than usual on major roads so allow extra travel time. You can check real-time traffic conditions on www.livetraffic.com before travelling.
Walking and cycling for shorter trips
Using alternative transport modes including regular buses, ferries or light rail services. Remember that COVIDSafe service capacities are in effect and services will be busier than usual.
Sydney Metro North West trains will run to normal timetable however you should allow plenty of extra travel time for connections to Sydney Trains services at Epping and Chatswood.
Driving to a nearby station commuter car park to have better connection with alternative transport services.
All transit lanes are open to all drivers

A limited supply of buses will be running on the following routes, see full stop route listings below.

T3 Bankstown Line between Lidcombe and Bankstown. Trains between Liverpool and the City will continue to run at a reduced frequency.
T8 Airport & South Line between Campbelltown and Macarthur.
T1 North Shore Line between Hornsby and Berowra.

Please be aware that these replacement buses are limited. Fares will not be charged on train replacement buses.

Bus marshals and Transport for NSW staff will be out on the ground at key stations and transport hubs to assist customers.

Sydney Train and NSW TrainLink continue to negotiate with the union in good faith and are focused on meeting with employees and reaching an agreement.
Replacement buses
T3 Bankstown Line
T8 Airport & South Line
T8-08 Macarthur to Campbelltown and return
Macarthur to Campbelltown loop service
Stop Name Stop ID
Menangle Rd opposite Macarthur Station, Stand H 256077
Campbelltown Station, Interchange Stand C 2560468
T1 North Shore Line
Living in the Shire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

It’s was same timetable as earlier in the week. Back to regular timetable today.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

see https://transportnsw.info/news/2022/ser ... n-services

Service update: Increase in overall train services
Sunday 27 February 2022

On Sunday 27 February:

Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink Intercity services will run to a Sunday timetable.
NSW TrainLink Regional XPT and Xplorer services are planned to run as timetabled.

No replacement buses will be running on Sunday.

Driving where possible or catching taxis and rideshare. Traffic may be heavier than usual on major roads so allow extra travel time. You can check real-time traffic conditions on www.livetraffic.com before travelling.
Walking and cycling for shorter trips.
Using alternative transport modes including regular buses, ferries or light rail services. Remember that COVIDSafe service capacities are in effect and services will be busier than usual.
Sydney Metro North West trains will run to normal timetable however you should allow plenty of extra travel time for connections to Sydney Trains services at Epping and Chatswood.
Driving to a nearby station commuter car park to have better connection with alternative transport services.
All transit lanes are open to all drivers.

From Monday 28 February

Sydney Trains will return to a full weekday timetable.
Monday to Friday Sydney Trains services will run every 3-4 minutes during peak times in the inner suburbs, with service frequencies of less than 10 minutes for the rest of the metropolitan area. 
There will be an overall increase in the number of NSW TrainLink Intercity services.
NSW TrainLink Regional XPT and Xplorer services are planned to run as timetabled.
Living in the Shire.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Honestly, the current train situation infuriates me!!! A friend was intending on catching a Mtns train from a non-express station to the city this morning. According to Anytrip, Trip Planner, Opal Travel, Tripview, it was scheduled (based on Sun timetable) to stop at the station....lo and behold...he told me that it had become an express train - so not stopping at the station. Now he has to wait another whole hour for next train...hoping it also doesnt get cancelled or become an express!!!

How is this acceptable????

(Not stating which station for obvious reasons)
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
boronia

Post by boronia »

Howard Collins announced on Ch 9 tonight that 3801 would be "steaming across the Harbour Bridge" during the bridge's upcoming 90th birthday celebrations.
@ The Museum of Fire.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

There hasn't been any trains on the Richmond line for a couple of hours now, due to a train fault at Merrylands.

Previously when this kind of disruption has occurred, a shuttle train service has operated between Blacktown and Richmond. I presume the current industrial action makes this kind of altered working impossible.

The useful information provided states to utilise "other forms of public transport", of which there aren't any that go to Richmond or Windsor at night other than the train.
Glen

Post by Glen »

This is my favourite:

Driving where possible or catching taxis and rideshare
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2022/ser ... s#homepage
Service update: Increase in overall train services
Monday 28 February 2022

From Monday 28 February

Sydney Trains will return to a full weekday timetable.
Monday to Friday Sydney Trains services will run every 3-4 minutes during peak times in the inner suburbs, with service frequencies of less than 10 minutes for the rest of the metropolitan area. 
There will be an overall increase in the number of NSW TrainLink Intercity services.

Some industrial action by the RTBU remains ongoing which may impact our ability to manage incidents on the network which could reduce service quality.

Contingency planning is in place, and customers will be updated if necessary.
Living in the Shire.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

Noticed the postponed stickers on a track work board at Lidcombe. Could this be because of the weekday timetable being used or just more additions to the long list of deferred maintenance some refer to?
Attachments
C42C374F-9732-497E-B162-BF5018CB97FA.jpeg
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Those trackworks have been deleted from the trackwork email I received earlier today.
I would say it is all part of the industrial action.
The first priority at the moment is to get the normal timetables working with negotiations about trackwork taking a lower priority.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Randomness wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:35 pm Noticed the postponed stickers on a track work board at Lidcombe. Could this be because of the weekday timetable being used or just more additions to the long list of deferred maintenance some refer to?
I noticed the same postponed stickers on the trackwork board at Liverpool this afternoon
Glen

Post by Glen »

Are the consequent train changes caused by weeknight trackwork defined as 'altered work' in this industrial dispute?
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Glen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:55 pm Are the consequent train changes caused by weeknight trackwork defined as 'altered work' in this industrial dispute?
Yes
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

All Trackwork for the Weekend just gone, February 26 & 27, was also Cancelled.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I hope some auditor eventually figures out how much this extra stupidity will cost. Cancelling trackwork, especially at last minute, likely causes huge penalties to be paid to the contractors who were planning to conduct the work. Not to mention the delays to projects which rely on these possessions as part of their overall schedule, particularly the Bankstown line metro conversion. What a mess.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”