Railway Observations for 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: Railway Observations for 2022

Post by Linto63 »

To allow it to be quadrupled in the future. Quadruplication of the line in full has been on transport master plans for decades.
Transtopic

Re: Railway Observations for 2022.

Post by Transtopic »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:17 pm Does anyone know why the Meadowbank Bridge has only 2 tracks but the pylons have capacity for around 4?
Because the new bridge pylons were built to accommodate future quadruplication of the Northern Line and will form part of the next stage of the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor program, completing the quad between Rhodes and West Ryde. A business case is currently being prepared for submission to Infrastructure Australia. This stage also includes extending the third track from Thornleigh to Hornsby.
swtt

Post by swtt »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:17 pm Does anyone know why the Meadowbank Bridge has only 2 tracks but the pylons have capacity for around 4?
No different to the NorthConnex: built for 3 lanes, marked for 2.

South of Epping, the most expensive part would be to do quadruplication through Rhodes and possibly West Ryde.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

swtt wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:45 pm South of Epping, the most expensive part would be to do quadruplication through Rhodes and possibly West Ryde.
There will be a new platform 1 at Rhodes and platform 4 at West Ryde, completing the full quad from North Strathfield to Epping. Existing tracks on the approaches to the John Whitton Bridge across the Parramatta River will need to be slewed to line up with the new track pair on the western side of the bridge. Brick abutments were built at the same time as the existing overbridge for a future Suburban (Relief) Down line bridge across Victoria Rd at West Ryde .
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Maybe they were also made for the proposed freight line between Rhodes and Pipita? The "Treillage Tower" in bicentenial park was built on what was the tip siding, which was marked for where the link would go via. Plus, it's the correct time period for it to happen.
I prefer my catches rare.
Nat

Post by Nat »

The more complex and disruptive part of the quad would be at Meadowbank Stn.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

If we are still on the point of why the pylons on the John Whitton Bridge were built to carry four tracks, it was to allow for the line to be quadrupled in the future. Reported in various sources when built in the last 1970s.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Banksia upgrade complete.

https://youtu.be/ZyfBZq3A7HI
Stu

Post by Stu »

V set travelling on the up line through Holsworthy today at about 16:00, I wasn’t able to see the set numbers.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Probably Y1, the ATP test set.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

Y1 hasn't been operable in ages.
I prefer my catches rare.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Stu wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 pm V set travelling on the up line through Holsworthy today at about 16:00, I wasn’t able to see the set numbers.
It’s most likely was at Campbelltown yard for NSW Trainlink crew training then going to Sydney Terminal to start a peak hour service.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Nat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am The more complex and disruptive part of the quad would be at Meadowbank Stn.
Actually Meadowbank Station should be easy.
The Bank Street overbridge to the south of the station already has arches on each side of the main span for the extra tracks. From memory this was duplication work done a long time ago (pre-1980's at least).
At the station itself. the space is there for the extra two tracks, and looking at Google Maps satellite even a lot of the facing for what would be the new platform 1 was built a long time ago. The relatively new pedestrian overbridge already spans the space for the extra down track to the east. They'd just need to drop in an extra bit of overbridge to span a new up track and connect to the existing plaza to the west and all would be good!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

TransportNSW must have really sunk themselves here, tomorrow there is Trackwork taking place on the Hunter line from 3:00 AM & from what I can gather have really messed up with organising replacement services either that or they've done a bad job at communicating the ordeal.

Trip Planner is saying if one wants to catch a replacement bus from Maitland Station to the Interchange for example, there is a single "rostered" replacement bus that leaves Maitland at 3:52 AM, getting to the Interchange at 4:45 AM. Then after that there is no more replacement buses & no trains, just says to take a whole heap of regular service buses (183, 145, 140) to reach Newcastle Interchange. So they've got Trackwork going on, most people would have to be at work or school before 9:30 or 9:00 AM and there is absolutely no replacement buses so how are people (besides those who can drive) suppose to get to Newcastle & how is this okay scenario in this day & age?

Now there was a sign at one of the stations this afternoon saying "Buses replace all trains between Maitland / Newcastle Interchange 24th May" but when you go to look at Trip planner there is definitely a huge gap when a bunch of timetabled replacement services should be in place. I spoke to 131500 about it and they were a little bewildered about it but nothing they could escalate or do to find out what the go is. Again incompetency & weak communication on someone's end because when the Hunter Line faces issues, it's no big rush to have it resolved.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There appears to be a more viable service provided on Wednesday.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/ems-5082
There appear to be a lot of replacement rouites
Incident activity

Tomorrow, 3:00am - May 25, 12:00am

Details
Tuesday 24 May

From 3am, buses replace all trains between Scone, Dungog and Newcastle Interchange.
Plan your trip before you travel for up-to-date real time information.

Bus Routes
1HU: Telarah, then all stations to Newcastle Interchange and return
4HU: Dungog then all stations to Maitland and return
6HU: Singleton, then all stations to Maitland and return
7HU: Warabrook mini bus shuttle
9HU: Scone, all stations to Lochinvar and then, Morisset
14HU: Scone, then all stations to Maitland and return
15HU: Muswellbrook, then all stations to Maitland and return
18HU: Scone, then all stations to Maitland, Victoria Street, then all stations to Newcastle Interchange and return
19HU: Dungog, then all stations to Maitland, Victoria Street, all to Beresfield, Warabrook, then all to Newcastle Interchange and return
26HU: Singleton, then all stations to Maitland, Victoria Street, all to Beresfield, Warabrook, then all to Newcastle Interchange and return

and then for Wednesday
https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/ems-5083
Incident activity

May 25, 2:00am - May 26, 10:10pm

Details
Wednesday 25 to Thursday 26 May

From 2am Wednesday until 10.10pm Thursday, buses replace trains between Scone and Maitland. Buses also replace some trains between Telarah and Maitland.
Trains between Dungog, Maitland and Newcastle Interchange run to a changed timetable and reduced frequency.

Wednesday from 6.30pm until 4.30am, buses replace trains between Scone, Dungog and Newcastle Interchange.
Plan your trip before you travel for up-to-date real time information.

Bus Routes
1HU: Telarah, then all stations to Newcastle Interchange and return
4HU: Dungog then all stations to Maitland and return
6HU: Singleton, then all stations to Maitland and return
7HU: Warabrook mini bus shuttle
9HU: Scone, all stations to Lochinvar and then, Morisset
14HU: Scone, then all stations to Maitland and return
15HU: Muswellbrook, then all stations to Maitland and return
18HU: Scone, then all stations to Maitland, Victoria Street, then all stations to Newcastle Interchange and return
19HU: Dungog, then all stations to Maitland, Victoria Street, all to Beresfield, Warabrook, then all to Newcastle Interchange and return
26HU: Singleton, then all stations to Maitland, Victoria Street, all to Beresfield, Warabrook, then all to Newcastle Interchange and return
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

TripView shows no rail replacement buses from Maitland between 03:42 and 09:17 on Tuesday, but trains running on Wednesday.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Is it just a case of data not being loaded in time?
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Glen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:46 am Is it just a case of data not being loaded in time?
Wouldn't have the slightest clue, they were able to upload the data for the supposedly 3AM replacement bus however not anything after that again until after 9AM. No idea how they could mess up this so badly & confuse commuters but the situation is indeed confusing. People are going to be looking at the applications and going like myself "Oh there isn't a replacement bus running between X & Y time" but what if there is? People who actually need to be at work or in person meetings or whatever may have just lost a days pay because again the communication is poor. Word it right and there wouldn't be any problems. This is what I find frustrating and why I'm saying what I'm saying, something happens on the Hunter line (whether it'll be canceled services, delays or whatever and you have to be at the station in person to know about it, nothing comes up on TransportInfo alerts) or you end up relying on 3rd party information. Yes I get that happens everywhere else too but given the lack of investments on our line, I personally feel by the state government this line is just seen as a minority (Why does the HU line still run on an outdated 2 car services that get really crammed pack of a morning & afternoon? That is a topic for another day anyway).

As I said in my OP, I contacted 131500, I understand they were not able to resolve anything but was hoping they may have had more insight or been able to escalate the issue and then come back with "Okay it is a glitch in our System as to those replacement buses not showing, there is definitely a bus running at that time otherwise". They were just as in dark as I was, not a good sign.

I'm just a little frustrated myself because driving to the CBD is something I want to really avoid as it's already hectic enough getting down there (And the fuel prices) and when I need to be at work on a certain time I can't be playing around.

TransportNSW needs to lift their game, seriously, it's embarrassing.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Two Oscars running on Test at St Marys Penrith bound at 11:05 this morning both look like they havnt seen the carriage wash in weeks.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Some observations on a FB page this week that there are no longer any food outlets on the North or Grand concourses at Central (apart from a convenience store) and the Newslink bookshops are due to close at the end of this month.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

Are the Eddy Avenue ramp food outlets still trading?

In my time working at Central, the main Eddy Ave eatery knew my order after a few visits.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

This is a follow on from the Post, dated November 7, 2021.

To accommodate the continuation of the Tangara TTU Project, 1 x 8T set Roster has been deleted from the Timetable commencing June 4, and 1 x 8K set Roster has been added.

This is a Summary of Set-type allocation.

As from June 6, the Weekday Timetable calls for the following Rosters (by set-type):-
Sector 1 (T4 services) .. .. .. 29 x 8T sets.
South Coast .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . 2 x 4T sets.
Sector 2 (T2, T3, & T8) .. ... 11 x 8K sets, 11 x 8M sets, 19 x 8A sets, 34 x 8B sets.
Sector 2 (T5 services) .. .. ... 6 x 4M sets.
Sector 2 (T7 services) .. .. ... 2 x 4M sets.
Sector 3 (T1 & T9) .. .. .. ... 14 x 8T sets, 53 x 8A sets, 3 x 8B sets.

Sets required for Repair and Maintenance and Fleet usage (by set-type):-
Usually, for older set-types usage equates to 80-85%, for more modern sets usage can be up to 95%.

K sets .. .. .. .. 18 x 4car sets .. .. .. Total Fleet 40 x 4car sets, 55% usage.
(Note: set K96 was allocated to the Automatic Train Protection Testing associated with the New Block Signalling project)
T sets .. .. .. .. 23 x 4car sets .. .. .. Total Fleet 111 x 4car sets, includes 3 x 8T sets for TTU project, 79.3% usage.
M sets .. .. .. . . 5 x 4car sets .. .. .. Total Fleet 35 x 4car sets, 85.7% usage.
A sets .. .. .. ... 6 x 8car sets .. .. .. Total Fleet 78 x 8car sets, 92.3% usage.
B sets .. .. .. ... 4 x 8car sets .. .. .. Total Fleet 41 x 8car sets, 90.2% usage.

As from June 4, the Weekend Timetable calls for the following Rosters (by set-type):-
Sector 1 (T4 services) .. .. .. 17 x 8T sets.
South Coast .. .. .. .. .. .. ... Nil
Sector 2 (T2, T3, & T8) .. ... 1 x 8T set, 8 x 8A sets, 35 x 8B sets.
Sector 2 (T5 services) .. .. .. 4 x 4M sets.
Sector 2 (T7 services) .. .. .. 2 x 8A sets.
Sector 3 (T1 & T9) .. .. .. ... 5 x 8T sets, 36 x 8A sets.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

boronia wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:18 am Some observations on a FB page this week that there are no longer any food outlets on the North or Grand concourses at Central (apart from a convenience store) and the Newslink bookshops are due to close at the end of this month.
When I went into the Newslink outlet on the Central Grand concourse on Saturday just passed, I asked when they were closing and they answered "next Saturday".
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”