Ferry Observations for 2022,

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Ferry Observations for 2022,

Post by Fleet Lists »

A tweet just received
F1, F2, F3, F4, F7, F8 and F9 ferry services are reaching capacity and may not be able to pick up all passengers. Wharves are also heavily crowded. Consider alternative travel options.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:23 pm
Also noted that the MFFs and the Pyrmont Bay shuttle were being promoted as being free, but not the F10.
For details see https://transportnsw.info/news/2022/tap ... l#homepage
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:05 pm Tripview shows that as having been the case all day. And it shows that up to and including next Monday.
Yesterday and again today there appear to be 3 Emeralds operating every 20 minutes plus one Freshwater every 2 hours in addition.
With the Balmoral departing from Circular Qauy at 1.30pm followed by the Freshwater one 1 minute later. But as at 1.37 neither appeared to have departed. But both had departed by 1.39.
The Victor Cheng and Fred Hollows show as the next 2 Emerald departures.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Inside the $5m mission to retrieve the wrecked Baragoola

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/ins ... 5ae95.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Re: Ferry Observations for 2022

Post by Linto63 »

The Sydney Heritage Fleet has lifted the Kanangra from the water, now sitting where the John Oxley did for many years at the end of Victoria Road in White Bay.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:22 pm https://www.northernbeachesreview.com.a ... E2ahX8Su4w

Manly Fast Ferry operator: NSW Government puts tender to market
As it is now over three months since the tender was supposed to have closed in January, is there any further news on this?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The actual tender document is at https://www.tenders.nsw.gov.au/?event=p ... 0A2682CAA1 and covers separate tenders for the Manly Fast Ferry Service as well as ferry services on the Lane Cove River, with the view of the new services commencing on 1 July 2022. Which only leaves six weeks.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Given that the Manly Fast Ferry has had its biggest advantage over the Sydney Ferries' service, the ability to offer quicker journeys, eliminated by the latter introducing high speed craft, would be surprised if the service was still viable. If that is the case, then unlikely anybody will be interested. Did hear an unsubstantiated report that My Fast Ferry have been operating the service on a cost plus basis since the new ferries were introduced, as TfNSW had changed the ground sufficiently to allow the operator to walk away and seek damages.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I recall an explanation a couple of years back that NRMA didn't want to continue the MFF when the contract expired, and this was the motivation for buying the Emeralds.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The fast ferry service is operated under a franchise model with rights to operate the service awarded for a period of time, after which the franchise it is retendered. It was operated initially by Sydney Fast Ferries, then retendered with MFF taking over under a seven-year contract having been selected from several bidders. Had the NRMA not wanted MFF to continue operating the service beyond the contract's expiry, it just would not have lodged a bid.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Frustrating that the Lane Cove River services remain the "red-headed stepchild" of Sydney Ferries. Why can't they be assigned a route number and be included on maps, etc? It's not like we don't have the F10 which a service outside the subsidized Opal network as well. And I'm pretty sure the Lane Cove services receive school student transport subsidy as well, so it's not like it's a fully private service. So frustrating that this hasn't improved even with the quality of transport information on almost all other services having greatly improved in the past decade.

(To some extent my complaint could also be extended to other Sydney area "private" ferries such as Bundeena and Pittwater, etc, but the Lane Cove are especially egregious since they are in Sydney Harbour right along side the Sydney Ferries network.)
boronia

Post by boronia »

Linto63 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:17 pm The fast ferry service is operated under a franchise model with rights to operate the service awarded for a period of time, after which the franchise it is retendered. It was operated initially by Sydney Fast Ferries, then retendered with MFF taking over under a seven-year contract having been selected from several bidders. Had the NRMA not wanted MFF to continue operating the service beyond the contract's expiry, it just would not have lodged a bid.
I understood that NRMA bought out SFF and renamed it?
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

jpp42 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:22 pm Frustrating that the Lane Cove River services remain the "red-headed stepchild" of Sydney Ferries. Why can't they be assigned a route number and be included on maps, etc? It's not like we don't have the F10 which a service outside the subsidized Opal network as well. And I'm pretty sure the Lane Cove services receive school student transport subsidy as well, so it's not like it's a fully private service. So frustrating that this hasn't improved even with the quality of transport information on almost all other services having greatly improved in the past decade.

(To some extent my complaint could also be extended to other Sydney area "private" ferries such as Bundeena and Pittwater, etc, but the Lane Cove are especially egregious since they are in Sydney Harbour right along side the Sydney Ferries network.)
There are also the pseudo tourist services operated by CCC and Matilda, which show up in TripView and I presume in the trip planners?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I understood that NRMA bought out SFF and renamed it?
That is not quite my understanding
In July 2014, expressions of interest were sought for the next franchise with Bass & Flinders Cruises, SeaLink Travel Group, Sydney Fast Ferries and Transit Systems responding. In December 2014, the franchise was awarded to Bass & Flinders Cruises.

Bass & Flinders commenced on 1 April 2015 with three existing vessels from Bass & Flinders fleet along with two leased vessels. Four new Incat built vessels were delivered by the end of 2015, Taking over from Sydney Fast Ferries.

In September 2017, Bass & Flinders was renamed Manly Fast Ferry and commenced trading as My Fast Ferry.[17][18]

In December 2017, the business was purchased by the NRMA.
The fast ferry service is operated under a franchise model with rights to operate the service awarded for a period of time, after which the franchise it is retendered. It was operated initially by Sydney Fast Ferries, then retendered with MFF taking over under a seven-year contract having been selected from several bidders. Had the NRMA not wanted MFF to continue operating the service beyond the contract's expiry, it just would not have lodged a bid.
I dont believe the NRMA has ever made a bit unless they have submitted one for the current tender, but that would be most unlikely.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote: In July 2014, expressions of interest were sought for the next franchise with Bass & Flinders Cruises, SeaLink Travel Group, Sydney Fast Ferries and Transit Systems responding. In December 2014, the franchise was awarded to Bass & Flinders Cruises.

Bass & Flinders commenced on 1 April 2015 with three existing vessels from Bass & Flinders fleet along with two leased vessels. Four new Incat built vessels were delivered by the end of 2015, Taking over from Sydney Fast Ferries.

In September 2017, Bass & Flinders was renamed Manly Fast Ferry and commenced trading as My Fast Ferry.[17][18]

In December 2017, the business was purchased by the NRMA.
Presuming Wikipedia is correct. :D
Fleet Lists wrote: I dont believe the NRMA has ever made a bit unless they have submitted one for the current tender, but that would be most unlikely.
No but it is the parent of MFF, and the original suggestion was that the NRMA, as opposed to MFF, didn't want to renew.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

> In September 2017, Bass & Flinders was renamed Manly Fast Ferry and commenced trading as My Fast Ferry.[17][18]

This isn't quite correct. Bass & Flinders separated the Manly Fast Ferry business into a separate company at this point, making it possible to sell it to NRMA. Bass and Flinders Cruises remains operating in the Georges River (Botany Bay) as a much smaller organisation going back to their roots -primarily operating the MV Bass and Flinders (which is the same vessel they had prior to starting Manly Fast Ferry in the 2000's).

(I thought the renaming from "Manly" to "My" only occurred after the sale to NRMA, but perhaps Wiki is correct on that point - regardless of that many of the vessels still say Manly Fast Ferry on them even now, 5 years later).
boronia

Post by boronia »

The little shuttle ferry across Pyrmont Bay is promoted under the Manly Fast Ferry banner, causing a lot of confusion.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A new F1 timetable was introduced on Monday 30/5 with no apparent changes on weekdays but on weekends services have been increased to every 15 minutes in both directions with every 4th one apparently operated by a Freshwayter class ferry. So no longer an irregular service in one direction.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The t/t still shows weekend departures from CQ at 15, 30, 45, 50(Freshwater) which it was previously?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Oops I compared the wrong ones - I dont know what the differences are now.
Living in the Shire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

As it would cost too much to move the Cahill expressway perhaps the wharfs could be upgraded one at a time while creating more space next to the station by about 20m even with a roof with solar panels.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Strangely enough, there is a move to do that - remove the Cahill, put Circular Quay underground and demolish one of the wharves.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There have been suggestions this should be done for years, but nobody has moved on them.
Putting the station underground would require replacing most of the line between St James and Wynyard. It might be more feasible to leave the line there, and move the station to the west, over the park and George St?
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Aurora wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:10 pm Strangely enough, there is a move to do that - remove the Cahill, put Circular Quay underground and demolish one of the wharves.
Yes I read about that but rather than spending heaps on making more people space on the south side for the yuppies it may just be better to add another 20m to the overcrowded side for the tourists while upgrading the wharves slowly.

I imagined a solar roof high off the top of the station protecting it and others below from the rain.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Glen

Post by Glen »

Do the Rivercats run to Watsons Bay very often?

I noticed Dawn Fraser on the 10:15 ex CQ today.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”