NSW Electric Bus Plan

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: NSW Electric Bus Plan

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:16 am Trying to contain so much energy capacity in limited volume.
Mobile phone batteries shoot out fire in spectacular fashion too, if you breach them.
https://youtu.be/AAZ62tUtc0w
There was also the debacle of the faulty laptop batteries in the mid-2000s as well - I seem to recall it was Dell that was worst-affected.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:30 am
There was also the debacle of the faulty laptop batteries in the mid-2000s as well - I seem to recall it was Dell that was worst-affected.
Was Hewlett-Packard affected? They seem to make solid stuff but can't help what happens with those who make the batteries for them if they go the outsourcing route, which is very routine for electronics makers.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Transit Systems new Yutongs have entered service. As a heads up, from the outside / a distance they look surprisingly similar to the BYD Gemilangs.

Interior is more or less the same as the Yutong demonstrator except the seats themselves, much nicer/better than the BYD’
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Anyone know if and when the Elements at Penrith will be back? 5002 hasn't moved in over a week. Mulgrave and Glendenning seem to be operating more and more Penrith work lately?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:47 pm Anyone know if and when the Elements at Penrith will be back? 5002 hasn't moved in over a week. Mulgrave and Glendenning seem to be operating more and more Penrith work lately?
I'd say that they're waiting for the French independent report on the Bollore batteries and then the all-clear if that's the case.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:03 pm Transit Systems new Yutongs have entered service. As a heads up, from the outside / a distance they look surprisingly similar to the BYD Gemilangs.

Interior is more or less the same as the Yutong demonstrator except the seats themselves, much nicer/better than the BYD’
Interestingly via the real time tracking applications (yes this story again) I've not been able to track Transit Systems Yutong E12's when using the electric bus filter, this includes Interlines too. There's one running the 858 to Oran park as of this post but as soon as I filter them by E-Buses they disappear. Looks like they were never added to the DB correctly to show up as an electric bus.

So I guess a heads up for enthuistists trying to filter out the rest of the other E-Buses just to show the Yutongs only, going to have to search deep to find the ones that are currently active.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:46 pm
Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:03 pm Transit Systems new Yutongs have entered service. As a heads up, from the outside / a distance they look surprisingly similar to the BYD Gemilangs.

Interestingly via the real time tracking applications (yes this story again) I've not been able to track Transit Systems Yutong E12's when using the electric bus filter, this includes Interlines too. There's one running the 858 to Oran park as of this post but as soon as I filter them by E-Buses they disappear. Looks like they were never added to the DB correctly to show up as an electric bus.

So I guess a heads up for enthuistists trying to filter out the rest of the other E-Buses just to show the Yutongs only, going to have to search deep to find the ones that are currently active.
Yes another heads up I forgot to mention, on the app, the brand new Transit Systems Yutong bus I got was listed as Merc. 0500LE Custom Coaches CB60evoII.

Also, the buses feature USB outlets to charge your phone near each seat which was another nice touch
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:07 pm Also, the buses feature USB outlets to charge your phone near each seat which was another nice touch
The Yutong electrics at Interline also have USB ports they might come as a standard feature in that model of Yutong
Swift

Post by Swift »

Might affect range. Makes more sense in diesels as they have a built in generator lol.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Think is fair to say that the amount of energy required to power at most a couple of dozen mobile phones would be negligible for a unit moving a 10 tonne vehicle.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Linto63 wrote:Think is fair to say that the amount of energy required to power at most a couple of dozen mobile phones would be negligible for a unit moving a 10 tonne vehicle.
Yep.
Most of those USB chargers are 5V1A (maybe 5V2A)
So you are talking say 50W for 10 devices (about the same as an old light bulb), or consumption of 50Wh if plugged in for an hour.

Electric buses consume over 1000Wh per Km.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:32 pm Might affect range. Makes more sense in diesels as they have a built in generator lol.
If you plug it in, did you know that the bus sucks the charge from your phone every time you go up a hill? (jks)
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:43 pm
Swift wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:32 pm Might affect range. Makes more sense in diesels as they have a built in generator lol.
If you plug it in, did you know that the bus sucks the charge from your phone every time you go up a hill? (jks)
Ahh. Now it all makes sense.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

The electric bus rollout timeline has changed, we will no longer get 8000 electric buses by 2030.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/z ... s-new-gear
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Australia is no longer alone in downgrading the low floor Yutong E12 into a low entry bus (high floor at the back). Cardiff has joined the club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yqCdszlBu4

You'd think the claustrophobic headroom at the back would trigger a clue for them, further evidence that many people working in transit agencies and operators never actually use buses to travel themselves. So far, all RHD E12s outside Australia (England and SIngapore) have retained the low floor design.

Good thinking here, stacking all the buses and their chargers like sardines inside a shed. I hope they don't have one of those combustible events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRGNBzcHqe4

I know the Brits don't like having rear doors, but why do they put the emergency exit on the offside into the traffic? It would be much safer, if they're not having a centre door, to have it on the near side in that position.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: I know the Brits don't like having rear doors, but why do they put the emergency exit on the offside into the traffic? It would be much safer, if they're not having a centre door, to have it on the near side in that position.
Provides an exit it the onside of the bus becomes inaccessible. Has long been a feature of UK buses, even those with two doors.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:49 am
tonyp wrote: I know the Brits don't like having rear doors, but why do they put the emergency exit on the offside into the traffic? It would be much safer, if they're not having a centre door, to have it on the near side in that position.
Provides an exit it the onside of the bus becomes inaccessible. Has long been a feature of UK buses, even those with two doors.
Compare it to here, though - you have your nearside doors (typically two for public operation on a rigid), one or two breakable windows on the nearside, another one or two on the offside, and a breakable/removable rear window (on older buses) for emergency egress. Some buses also have emergency escape hatches in the roof.

The Yutong shown appears to have an escape hatch, and the offside door. Not sure if there is anything else beyond the front door. Quite a contrast.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:12 am a breakable/removable rear window (on older buses) for emergency egress.
Many of the new electric buses should have the rear window as an emergency exit. The Element has two each side and the rear window (and perhaps the roof hatch). However, it's quite common to see emergency exits covered by wrap. I don't know if any authority has looked at that issue.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Have been on a couple of buses with advertising wrap, where one of the bonded windows was not as bonded as you'd hope. The advertising was visibly torn around that particularly window - judging by that it might not be too much of an issue. What could be problematic is a person's vision being obstructed by those damned wraps.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Relating to electric buses???
Living in the Shire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Tonyp the emergency exit on drivers side is incase the bus rolls and you have an exit on all sides of the bus. I note that the Scania Volgren single door buses at Busways have the Emergency exit window in the same spot the emergency exit door is on a UK spec bus post 2008. Wonder if they had some British design input or if the Volgren design was a rip off of some uk/ni design features?
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

What gives?

Checking real time trip tracking, there's been no BYD Gemilangs out all day from Transit Systems tho there is currently two out running rail replacement for the T3 line from Punchbowl bus Company.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

CDC NSW is getting Volvo BZLs with the Volgren bodies.

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... nd-volgren
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Seems the Custom Elements at Waverley have been having teething problems?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:52 pm Seems the Custom Elements at Waverley have been having teething problems?
CD is waiting for the all-clear on the Bollore batteries, the brand that suffered a couple of bad fires in France. This affects all Elements at the moment.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”