Lakeland’s station

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Lakeland’s station

Post by TP1462 »

Funding has been secured to build the train station at Lakeland’s just off Lake Valley Drive the state government still remains committed to Karnup station so both will be built including the multi story car park at Mandurah station. Further funding has also been secured for the Tonkin Gap project with construction now starting mid next year this will lead to faster development timeframes for the Morley Ellenbrook line

Overview
Residents in Lakelands, Madora Bay and surrounds will have a new travel option to choose from with the newest Mandurah Line station being built in Lakelands.

Located on the Mandurah Line between Warnbro and Mandurah stations, which are 23 kilometres apart, Lakelands Station will help ease the growing demand for public transport in the southern suburbs by reducing the need to travel significant distances to access train services.

More than 2,300 passengers are expected to board at Lakelands Station each day in 2023, growing to 3,500 in 2031.

The project will be jointly funded by the State and Commonwealth Governments, with 80 per cent funding coming from the Commonwealth.

Work is expected to begin in 2021.

http://www.metronet.wa.gov.au/projects/ ... ds-station

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... stion.aspx

Joint media statement - Infrastructure to boost jobs and bust congestion

Wednesday, 20 November 2019

The WA economy will receive a $940 million boost from additional Federal and State infrastructure funding over the next four years.

A $868 million injection of Federal funding will increase total federal infrastructure investment in Western Australia from about $4.5 billion to about $5.4 billion over the next four years.

The Morrison and McGowan Governments have been working together to get more projects underway to drive jobs, strengthen the economy and get people home sooner and safer.

In addition, the Commonwealth and Western Australian Governments have announced a new round of road and METRONET projects in Perth and surrounds to further bust congestion, boost jobs and improve safety.

More than $200 million in Federal and State contributions will fund six projects including the widening of Mitchell Freeway southbound between Hodges Drive and Hepburn Avenue and construction of a new METRONET station at Lakelands on the Mandurah rail line.

The latest package of works will generate around 1,000 jobs, adding to the thousands of other jobs being created by other WA infrastructure projects that are either under construction or in the pipeline.

The State Government highlighted what existing projects needed a bring forward of funding to meet the State Government's ambitious timeframes for construction.

At the same time both Governments have progressed a number of congestion-busting road and METRONET projects in and around Perth, boosting employment and improving road network safety.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the eight existing projects where funding has been brought forward would help drive jobs and the economy, and deliver the roads and rail WA needed to help bust congestion.

"With $817 million in additional federal funding being injected into these eight projects over the current forward estimates period we're focused on getting people to work and home sooner and safer while also boosting WA's economy," the Prime Minister said.

"We're delivering this package of critical road and rail projects sooner as part of our $100 billion pipeline which forms a key plank of our plan for a stronger economy."

Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan said the new package of works will generate around 1,000 jobs, adding to the thousands of other jobs being created by other WA infrastructure projects that are either under construction or in the pipeline.

"We're already embarking on the biggest road and rail building program WA has ever seen," Mr McGowan said.

"This new agreement with the Commonwealth comes on top of the almost 500 road and METRONET projects currently underway or in the pipeline - when complete it will be an unprecedented transformation of our transport network.

"My Government's number one priority is local jobs - this new infrastructure package will create more WA jobs and more opportunities for local businesses.

"The bringing forward of funding by the Commonwealth also ensures that the State Government can get on with building the projects."

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann said that this package again demonstrates the Federal Government's commitment to ensure WA gets its fair share in federal infrastructure investment to boost growth, create more jobs while improving road safety and busting congestion.

"Since 2013, the Federal Government has committed more than $13.5 billion in additional federal infrastructure funding to support projects across Western Australia.

"Our Government is focused on delivering projects which deliver real benefits to Western Australians, whether it's upgrading the Great Northern Highway and Apple Street intersection ensuring better safety for motorists or improving commuter congestion on the Mandurah rail line.

"The package of works will significantly benefit all West Australians now and in the future," Senator Cormann said.

"These projects guarantee work for local trades and keep money flowing through local businesses throughout the construction phase and beyond."

Federal Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure Alan Tudge said starting construction on $430 million worth of Urban Congestion Fund projects across Perth was a top priority.

"This string of Urban Congestion Fund projects will bust congestion to save WA commuters and business precious time and money," Mr Tudge said.

"We also want to improve the overall safety and capacity of Perth's freeway system, which is why projects like the Mitchell Freeway widening, due to be completed in 2021, are crucial."

From 2014 to 2018 there were 560 crashes on this freeway including one fatality and 126 crashes in which people required medical attention.

Western Australian Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said this is a significant undertaking by both governments to add to the existing pipeline of road and rail works across the State.

"The package of works has something for Perth's northern, eastern and southern suburbs which are all experiencing significant population growth," Ms Saffioti said.

"These road and rail projects will join a long pipeline of other major infrastructure developments such as METRONET that will create local jobs and set the foundation for our economy to grow.

"The State Government put forward an ambitious timeframe for the existing projects and we're working hard to get new contracts underway, as soon as possible, including having to work through Federal environmental processes."

The McGowan Government is committed to building Karnup Station, and with 80 per cent of funding on offer from the Commonwealth for Lakelands Station, the State Government has also agreed to progress with the construction of Lakelands.

Senator Cormann also pointed out that in the Perth's Hills, two intersections connecting Great Eastern Highway and Old Northam Road - one in Sawyers Valley and one in Wooroloo - will be upgraded to improve safety.

"These upgrades, worth $14.4 million, will create 70 jobs and reduce the risk of serious crashes," Senator Cormann said.

"A new roundabout at the intersection of the Great Northern Highway and Apple Street in Upper Swan will improve safety and help reduce congestion as population in the area continues to grow.

"Seed funding of $2.5 million has also been provided to plan a full grade separation at the intersection of Reid Highway and Erindale Road in Balcatta. The resulting planning will enable both governments to consider future investment to build the new interchange."

New infrastructure projects:

Mitchell Freeway (Hodges Drive to Hepburn Avenue) Widening southbound
Cost estimate: $76 million
Jobs created: 530
Funding split: $38 million Federal, $38 million State

Lakelands Station (Mandurah Line)
Cost estimate: $80 million
Jobs created: 200
Funding split: $64 million Federal, $16 million State

Great Northern Highway (Apple Street) Intersection Upgrade
Cost estimate: $14 million
Jobs created: 90
Funding split: $7 million Federal, $7 million State/City of Swan/private sector

Wanneroo Road (Morley Drive) Intersection Upgrade
Cost estimate: $15 million
Jobs created: 90
Funding split: $7.5 million Federal, $7.5 million State

Great Eastern Highway (Old Northam Road) upgrade two intersections at Wooroloo and at Sawyers Valley
Cost estimate: $14.375 million
Jobs created: 70
Funding split: $11.5 million Federal, $2.875 million State

Reid Highway (Erindale Road) project development for grade separation
Cost estimate: $2.5 million (seed funding)
Jobs created: TBA
Funding split: $2 million Federal, $0.5 million State

Project funding brought forward:

$283.6 million for the Bunbury Outer Ring Road
Funding to flow immediately from this financial year over the next four financial years to enable the commencement of works in early 2021 after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2022-23
Australian Government contribution to the project is $681.6 million ($283.6 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $170.4 million
$82.8 million for the Albany Ring Road
Funding to flow over the next four financial years to enable the commencement of works in late 2020 after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2021-22
Australian Government contribution to the project is $140 million ($82.8 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $35 million
$36.2 million for the Alice Springs to Halls Creek Corridor Upgrade
Funding to flow immediately and over the next six financial years to enable the commencement of works in 2020 after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2022-23
Australian Government contribution to the project is $75 million ($36.2 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $18.75 million
$16 million for the Fremantle Traffic Bridge
Funding to flow over the next five financial years to enable the commencement of works in 2021 after previously being allocated beyond 2021-22
Australian Government contribution to the project is $115 million ($16 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $115 million
$156.7 million for the Karratha to Tom Price Corridor
Funding to flow immediately and over the next six financial years as construction on Stage 3 is already underway after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2022-23
Australian Government contribution to the project is $248 million ($156.7 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $62 million
$40.8 million for the Newman to Katherine Corridor Upgrade
Funding to flow immediately and over the next four financial years to enable the commencement of works by 2020 after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2022-23
Australian Government contribution to the project is $70 million ($40.8 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $17.5 million
$40.8 million for Port Augusta to Perth Corridor
Funding to flow immediately and over the next three financial years to enable the commencement of works in 2020 after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2022-23
Australian Government contribution to the project is $50 million ($40.8 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $12.5 million
$159.9 million for Tonkin Highway Gap
Funding to flow immediately to enable the commencement of works in mid-2020 after the majority of funding previously being allocated beyond 2021-22
Australian Government contribution to the project is $232 million ($159.9 million brought forward)
Western Australian Government contribution to the project is $58 million
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Lakeland’s station

Post by Merc1107 »

Oh more freeway widening... I suppose someone has to keep the road crews busy.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:Oh more freeway widening... I suppose someone has to keep the road crews busy.
It’s a known congestion hotspot and is definitely long overdue for widening, Northbound was completed not that long ago so it makes sense to do southbound Hodges- Hepburn too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

TP1462 wrote:
Merc1107 wrote:Oh more freeway widening... I suppose someone has to keep the road crews busy.
It’s a known congestion hotspot and is definitely long overdue for widening, Northbound was completed not that long ago so it makes sense to do southbound Hodges- Hepburn too.

Give it two years (if that) and the 'widened' freeway will be just as congested as it is now. Widening freeways sounds good on paper (and to voters) but in reality it does almost nothing to help relieve congestion
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

It's human nature really.
"I'll go down the freeway today" for thousands of people = freeway congested.
Freeway congested: "I'll take the bus/train instead" or "I'll go on X Road instead" = less freeway traffic.
Freeway congested also means widening.
Widening finshed: "Oh I'll take the freeway again." = freeway congested and the cycle repeats.
The key to long-term traffic relief is having people recognise the cycle and then persist to take alternative transport. That means making public transport attractive to more people, which means improvement of services in either frequency or rerouting to increase catchment area. PT is the only viable solution to relieve congestion, and once there is less congestion, people will leave PT to head back to their cars. This keeps an on-and-off flow of people through PT. This then means that really, freeways should just be left as they are as investing in roads without imposing a toll is just millions of dollars gone again and again. However, a long-term investment into PT can result in a bit of money back and also, if it is designed to match demands 10-15 years later, you don't always have to invest again and again.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Bus Suggestions wrote:It's human nature really.
"I'll go down the freeway today" for thousands of people = freeway congested.
Freeway congested: "I'll take the bus/train instead" or "I'll go on X Road instead" = less freeway traffic.
Freeway congested also means widening.
Widening finshed: "Oh I'll take the freeway again." = freeway congested and the cycle repeats.
I see you took road-building 101 as well!

Take the giant freeways in places like Houston or Los Angeles. A lot of these have 10+ lanes in each direction, and do they still get congested? They sure do!

I never quite understood it. Governments want to help relieve congestion and get people out of cars so they do that by... making driving more attractive?
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

I don’t know if it’s entirely fair to compare Perth with LA even though we do share very similar geography LAs population is 2x bigger than Perth although Perth is about 3x bigger in terms of metropolitan area the most congested freeway in LA is the I 405 (interstate 405) sections of that has 14 lanes and that’s the major north-south corridor LA has made some serious strides in its investment in public transport infrastructure however it is a traditionally very wealthy city mainly for the Hollywood elites who choose to live in the hills and Calabasas and can definitely afford to drive now coming back to Perth most of the revenue raised by the 3 tiers of government comes from vehicle regos, stamp duty, fuel excise and the parking fees so that money does have to be invested back into the road network it creates short terms jobs and stimulates the economy, I agree we need to invest more in public transport light rail is the solution to most of our problems especially for the inner city and connecting the knowledge arc corridors at least it doesn’t help that apparently no-one in Perth knows how to merge either I don’t think we really need anything more than 3 lanes in either direction in the most congested corridors flyovers and free flowing grade separated interchanges are better than traffic controlled intersections as that’s where most of the congestion comes from and idling you use more fuel which just increases the amount of Co2 and pollution released into the atmosphere

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

TP1462 wrote: It’s a known congestion hotspot and is definitely long overdue for widening, Northbound was completed not that long ago so it makes sense to do southbound Hodges- Hepburn too.
That may be so, I'm just sick of these tiny bits they keep doing that causes huge disruption (never mind I've rarely seen anyone actually WORKING - they dig it up and leave it for months) then a couple years down the track, they dig everything up to widen the next bit.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

The tender as a design & construct (D&C) for this project will go out for advertising next week

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

The tender for this has gone out and does include Karnup station as an additional works package a review on the concept design is due in July however there is no commitment from PTA towards the additional works package it’s options based on project synergies. Lakelands station is a split 6car station Karnup station will be an island station. Lakelands station will have 400 parking bays 4 new bus routes will also be introduced as part of the project this won’t offset the multi story that’s under construction at Mandurah station that’ll cater for growth.

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

4 new routes? Sounds interesting. Wonder if it will resemble what was discussed here some time ago, such as splitting thr 558?
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Merc1107 wrote:4 new routes? Sounds interesting. Wonder if it will resemble what was discussed here some time ago, such as splitting thr 558?
When Lakelands opens. I think it's safe to say route 558 is on borrowed time along its full route as per currently

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Leyland B21 wrote:I think it's safe to say route 558 is on borrowed time along its full route as per currently.
I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they retained the 558 for those passengers who wish to travel further than the next station (not just the types looking to avoid the paying the fare on the train to Rockingham, obviously), but also introduced or upgraded other services to provide a higher-frequency service between Lakelands and Mandurah Stations.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

To expand a little, the tender document states:
Tender Docs wrote:It will enable expanded bus services within the catchment with five bus routes feeding into the station, four of which will be new
At a complete guess (anyone reading this in two years don't judge me!), my prediction is the following, keeping in mind this station is two years away so I imagine they're planning for future development a little.

- 558 stays as is with a deviation to Lakelands Stn

- 587 withdrawn and split into two new routes to better serve Lakelands and Meadow Springs, since they've both grown a bit since the 587 last changed

- New route to the development to the North of Lakelands, down Redwood Ave

- New route to Singleton/Secret Harbour
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

METRONET Lakelands Station gets funding boost ahead of opening in mid-2023
Thursday, 8 December 2022

• Lakelands Station on track to open in mid-2023
  • 18 new staff to come on board to support the station's operations
  • Bus network consultation for new station to begin in January 2023
Transport Minister Rita Saffioti has today toured the new METRONET Lakelands Station, which is on track to begin operations in mid-2023.

The State Government is set to bring 18 full-time equivalent staff - including additional railcar drivers, transit officers, customer service officers, and communication systems personnel - to support operations at the new station.

The station is a new addition to the Mandurah Line and will service the growing Lakelands community, taking pressure off Mandurah and Warnbro stations. It will include an entry building, pedestrian overpass, two platforms, kiss-and-ride facilities, a bus interchange, a 400-bay car park, and cycling facilities.

Recent project milestones include:
  • completion of the Lakelands Station main roof;
  • platforms now ready for tiling, with 320 linear metres of steel-edge angle installed and 120 cubic metres of concrete poured to date;
  • Western Power substation installed and commissioned;
  • completion of the communications equipment room, a critical link to the operations centre;
  • the bus interchange structure taking shape, with steel framework built;
  • installation of fire pump tanks and infrastructure; and
  • completion of platform canopy rooves.
Over the next few months, works will continue on completing the southern carpark, lift installations, and the internal fit out of the station building, as well as commissioning and testing of the station.

On 6 January, Transperth will begin community consultation for the new station's bus network, inviting feedback on proposed routes, maps, and timetables.

This consultation will be available via the My Say Transport website, with more details available closer to the opening date.

The $72 million project - which is supporting about 200 jobs during construction - was jointly funded by the State and Commonwealth Governments.

Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:

"It's fantastic to see the progress being made on the new METRONET Lakelands Station, which is going to service this growing community for many decades to come.

"The station is really starting to take shape - and there is a lot more planned for the next few months - with the construction team working hard to finish the project.

"Once finished, Lakelands Station will give commuters in this growing community another option to make the trip to and from the city for work and leisure, and take pressure off both the Mandurah and Warnbro stations.

"The new staffing allocation will ensure this new station operates smoothly for the community when it begins operations in 2023.

"In early January, we will also begin consultation with the community on changes to the bus network to support the new station. It's really important the community take the time to provide feedback during this process, so they can help shape the future of their public transport network."

Comments attributed to Mandurah MLA David Templeman:

"It's fantastic to see we are now on the home stretch, and that Lakelands will soon have its own train station that will service the community for many decades.

"In early January, we will begin consultation with the community on changes to the bus network to support the new station. It's really important people in the community take the time to provide feedback and have a say in the future of the local bus network."
https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... -2023.aspx
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

The survey site and the proposed bus route modifications are up for now from the URL below.
https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Servic ... us-network

Here's the brief summary of the bus route changes.
  • Route 558 will be split into 3 routes: 558, 574 and 585, route 558 will be shortened to servicing between Rockingham and Warnbro Station only
  • Route 562 will be renumbered as route 559
  • Old route 559 will be withdrawn, and will be split into routes 558 and 574 as stated above
  • Route 561 will be shortened to Warnbro Station (originally from Rockingham Station)
  • Route 574 will be servicing between Warnbro and Lakelands Station, mostly along with the old 558 route in the same section
  • New Route 577 will be run between Lakelands Station and East Lakelands area
  • Route 584 will be extended to Lakelands Station
  • New Route 585 will be run between Lakelands Station and Mandurah Station, mostly with the old 558 route in the same section
  • Old route 586 will be withdrawn and will be merged onto new route 586
  • Route 587 will be renumbered as route 586, and will be extended to Lakelands Station
WEMBLEY 75

Post by WEMBLEY 75 »

When the Lakelands Station is opened and with the likely number of passenger journeys increasing on the Mandurah Line, is there a possibility for some or all of the current "W" pattern trains to operate to the "K" pattern which terminates at Rockingham Station. Currently there is only one "K" pattern service per weekday scheduled.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

WEMBLEY 75 wrote:When the Lakelands Station is opened and with the likely number of passenger journeys increasing on the Mandurah Line, is there a possibility for some or all of the current "W" pattern trains to operate to the "K" pattern which terminates at Rockingham Station. Currently there is only one "K" pattern service per weekday scheduled.
The plan is to eventually to run a new shuttle that’ll run between Rockingham & Clarkson on top of the Whitfords- Cockburn once the new signalling system is operational a new siding and overnight stowage facility will be constructed along Ennis Ave and just north of Clarkson station
WEMBLEY 75

Post by WEMBLEY 75 »

Thanks for that TP1462. Do you mean Ennis Avenue north of Rockingham Station?
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

WEMBLEY 75 wrote:Thanks for that TP1462. Do you mean Ennis Avenue north of Rockingham Station?
No south

shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Just announced that the station will open on 11 June 2023.

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... ation.aspx
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:32 pm
WEMBLEY 75 wrote:Thanks for that TP1462. Do you mean Ennis Avenue north of Rockingham Station?
No south

Before or after Warnbro?

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”