WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

actually

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by actually »

Enviro 500 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm
actually wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:15 pm

I used to do a morning 16 into the city at about 6:50. It would always get a seated load before it joined the 60, then would be full standing load by Walcott St.
I also remember doing 16’s on a Saturday, into and out of the city 5 minutes behind a 60 with only a couple of old ladies on board if anyone at all...definitely the good ol days
When did Saturday trips on 16 stop operating altogether?
Can’t remember....years and years ago
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

The route 16 Saturday trips were withdrawn in August 2015 and the weekday service was cut to peak times only at the same time
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

A new tender has been released for the supply/installation of windscreens for the Transwa coaches, and while it's not a noteworthy tender by itself, it does state we're getting two new coaches early next year:
'Transwa operate twenty three Volvo/Irizar i6 road coaches, with two additional road coaches scheduled for delivery in early 2022.'
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

actually wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:28 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm

When did Saturday trips on 16 stop operating altogether?
Can’t remember....years and years ago
Checked my timetable database - 9/8/2015
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
wachris

Post by wachris »

Does anyone have insider knowledge on when Airport Link bus networks are going to be made public or open to opinion?
sylar

Post by sylar »

Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:01 pm Looks like the area in front of Melville SHS.
Nope, it's stop #10863 Leach Hwy Before Winthrop Drive. There were reports in the media tonight that there has been safety concerns raised about the placement/location of this particular bus stop, whether these concerns are legitimate or have any substance is another matter.. as I don't live in the area or use that stretch of leach hwy in any form I'm not in a position to voice an opinion on it. Upon researching the area using various online resources it appears stop #10863 was constructed and commissioned into service in April 2019, prior to that there was never a bus stop at that location.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

sylar wrote:
Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:01 pm Looks like the area in front of Melville SHS.
Nope, it's stop #10863 Leach Hwy Before Winthrop Drive. There were reports in the media tonight that there has been safety concerns raised about the placement/location of this particular bus stop, whether these concerns are legitimate or have any substance is another matter.. as I don't live in the area or use that stretch of leach hwy in any form I'm not in a position to voice an opinion on it. Upon researching the area using various online resources it appears stop #10863 was constructed and commissioned into service in April 2019, prior to that there was never a bus stop at that location.
It should be moved or retrofitted with a enclosed bus bay, leach highway is pretty well known for its rear end accidents doesn’t help that it’s one of the main freight trunk routes from the inner harbour with a lot of truck movements this one in particular to Dorsogna at the corner of leach & stock I don’t want to reignite the roe 8/9 vs outer harbour and increased rail on freight debate not here anyway. A stop should never have been installed at this location it can be very difficult for truck drivers to row the gears and brake in time and in this case it being peak hour couldn’t merge right and go around I do travel quite regularly along leach highway, the freeway as well as Armadale road and Tonkin highway and it can be quite confronting when you have to merge and there’s a massive B triple or the occasional massive oversized load in your blind spot or coming from opposing direction of travel a safe compromise at least in the short term would be to widen leach highway with separate bus & truck lanes and comprehensive grade separated interchanges at key locations however that was part of the original PFL plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The stop in question appears to be West of Winthrop Dr., and was relocated quite some time ago from a stop before the lights (much closer to the more prominent Ross Park stop).
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

TP1462 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:21 pm
sylar wrote:
It should be moved or retrofitted with a enclosed bus bay, leach highway is pretty well known for its rear end accidents doesn’t help that it’s one of the main freight trunk routes from the inner harbour with a lot of truck movements this one in particular to Dorsogna at the corner of leach & stock I don’t want to reignite the roe 8/9 vs outer harbour and increased rail on freight debate not here anyway. A stop should never have been installed at this location it can be very difficult for truck drivers to row the gears and brake in time and in this case it being peak hour couldn’t merge right and go around I do travel quite regularly along leach highway, the freeway as well as Armadale road and Tonkin highway and it can be quite confronting when you have to merge and there’s a massive B triple or the occasional massive oversized load in your blind spot or coming from opposing direction of travel a safe compromise at least in the short term would be to widen leach highway with separate bus & truck lanes and comprehensive grade separated interchanges at key locations however that was part of the original PFL plans

What Leach Highway needs is a viaduct from Carrington Street to Murdoch Drive.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:
TP1462 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:21 pm It should be moved or retrofitted with a enclosed bus bay, leach highway is pretty well known for its rear end accidents doesn’t help that it’s one of the main freight trunk routes from the inner harbour with a lot of truck movements this one in particular to Dorsogna at the corner of leach & stock I don’t want to reignite the roe 8/9 vs outer harbour and increased rail on freight debate not here anyway. A stop should never have been installed at this location it can be very difficult for truck drivers to row the gears and brake in time and in this case it being peak hour couldn’t merge right and go around I do travel quite regularly along leach highway, the freeway as well as Armadale road and Tonkin highway and it can be quite confronting when you have to merge and there’s a massive B triple or the occasional massive oversized load in your blind spot or coming from opposing direction of travel a safe compromise at least in the short term would be to widen leach highway with separate bus & truck lanes and comprehensive grade separated interchanges at key locations however that was part of the original PFL plans

What Leach Highway needs is a viaduct from Carrington Street to Murdoch Drive.
Mostly agree something is better than nothing and the labor government hasn’t really provided any short term alternatives to deal with the issue of truck movements along leach highways apart from lengthening some of the turning lanes so they do know it’s a problem the more long term strategy is to build the outer harbour in Cockburn Sound and the new east-west freight route along Anketell road with Tonkin highway upgraded to freeway standard south of Albany highway/Kelvin road realistically that’s at least a decade or more away from completion and they haven’t even started construction let alone received environmental approval. At least in the short term instead of saying the PFL is evil some of the original plan should be adopted the part for grade separated interchanges along leach highway at least use some of the $1.2 billion in federal funding, a viaduct could work but would be very expensive

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Stock Rd and Leach Hwy has the perfect topography for grade separation, but probably not the room to achieve it. I think the better goal is to get more of the freight on rail, which is about the only thing the incumbent Government has accomplished, to some extent.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

I recall at one point seeing bus routes split into categories based on patronage, however it was old (2017-ish) and I can't seem to find it now. Is there an updated version of that list available anywhere?
And is there also a graph of reliability of bus services split by contract area?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Appendix 1: Bus Route Data from the Auditor General's report on the Planning and Management of Bus Services. Hopefully that is what you are looking for.

I have not seen a publicly-available graph of service reliability by contract area. Although it would stand to reason contract areas that operate on heavily-congested roads (or those with highly-variable travel times, e.g. Canning Hwy, Kwinana Fwy) would not have such great service reliability as a contract area which primarily focuses on the outer suburbs.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Hi just want to to. is the one who decided to change in one contract area is operator or PTA. because it look coincidental when SWAn take over other operator they change a lot of service after that. (for Example: When SWan tookover Karrinyup in 2011, suddenly there are a lot of service changes for Marmion contract route for example withdrawn of After hours and a lot of additional service. Also when SWan tookover joondalup suddently change a lot of service for Girrawheen/Marangaroo area). while Transdev when they took joondalup 2012, they tend to not change the route just add a lot of service time. Same happen when Path with Kalamunda in 2012.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

These are the 10 Worst Transit Systems...I have encountered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lte5Vs5YoA

Quite disappointing to watch this video, as see that Perth was his first choice.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

boronia wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 pm These are the 10 Worst Transit Systems...I have encountered

Quite disappointing to watch this video, as see that Perth was his first choice.
Depends how many transit systems this person has experienced I suppose... If I were ranking the worst system's I've used, Perth would be in my top 5 simply because I haven't been around much! But that doesn't mean it is bad.

They also don't really provide any reasons for why they think the Perth system is bad compared to anywhere else, and to see that numerous other places make it onto their list because of 'ugly light rail cars' and 'old buses / rolling stock' makes me think one really shouldn't put too much weight on this guy's opinion, that is, if it is a genuine opinion and not just low-effort clickbaity content to rile up the locals.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Squiddy wrote:
boronia wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 pm These are the 10 Worst Transit Systems...I have encountered

Depends how many transit systems this person has experienced I suppose... If I were ranking the worst system's I've used, Perth would be in my top 5 simply because I haven't been around much! But that doesn't mean it is bad.

They also don't really provide any reasons for why they think the Perth system is bad compared to anywhere else, and to see that numerous other places make it onto their list because of 'ugly light rail cars' and 'old buses / rolling stock' makes me think one really shouldn't put too much weight on this guy's opinion, that is, if it is a genuine opinion and not just low-effort clickbaity content to rile up the locals.
I agree with you on this one, I don’t think his option really matters that much

pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

for me perth transport alright. the only downside is probably lack of frequency service (where most of route on weekend and off peak) tend to have an hourly service and lack of crossover service (especially around north west area) perth tend to prefer all travelers to go city first then transfer. so maybe the people who think transperth is worst transit system is people who live in area who only had hourly service or they tend to travel to area that if they use bus it would take very long.

although i must to say the frequency of transperth is way better than 10 years ago
komen_413
Favourite Vehicle: B8s with VOITH Gearboxes!

Post by komen_413 »

I've used public transport in Perth now for 7 years and I've never really had any significant negative issues with it, for example my local route (345) has services leaving Morley every 10 mins during peak hour and every 15 mins throughout the day on weekday timetable which is quite convenient.

One slight negative thing is on the Saturday timetable throughout the morning and afternoon there would be services leaving Morley 20 mins apart and then you would have to wait 40 mins for the next service eg there would be 2 services leaving at 12:00 and 12:20pm then you would have to wait for the next service at 1:00pm, whereas it would probably be more beneficial if they left 30 mins apart on Sat just like the Sunday timetable.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

pasha241 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:09 pm Hi just want to to. is the one who decided to change in one contract area is operator or PTA. because it look coincidental when SWAn take over other operator they change a lot of service after that. (for Example: When SWan tookover Karrinyup in 2011, suddenly there are a lot of service changes for Marmion contract route for example withdrawn of After hours and a lot of additional service. Also when SWan tookover joondalup suddently change a lot of service for Girrawheen/Marangaroo area). while Transdev when they took joondalup 2012, they tend to not change the route just add a lot of service time. Same happen when Path with Kalamunda in 2012.
I think it was to streamline Swan Transit's operations with neighbouring contract areas already held by them, reducing dead runs as a result. If Path Transit snatches Canning and Southern River in the next few years, expect to see some changes like what Swan has done in the northern beaches.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

If they think Perth is bad, they haven't travelled far enough in Australia.
Take Darwin, the only thing that's consistent about their bus network there is that there is no consistency in terms of service frequency or connections.

I have not used many other public transport networks in Australia, or even overseas, so I don't have much to draw comparisons with. Perth's network has generally worked well for the sorts of local trips I have used it for.
The only bug-bears for me are, as Pasha says, the city-centric nature of the network where it doesn't always make sense (train connections designed for commuter movements where passengers might travel either way - 910s at Canning Bridge come to mind), the notion that demand for buses, even 900-series ones, suddenly vanishes at midnight and feeders operating at hopeless 'frequencies' outside of peak, without particularly great service span, either. It is wishful thinking to expect feeders to improve significantly, so maybe we can ignore that particular point.

That said, you could take any transit system in Australia and discuss its negatives. Pointing out what modes are or are not available, the age of the vehicles or what colour they're painted are minutiae that don't affect the traveller much. What matters is frequency, directness-of-route, service reliability, cost, and of course, accessibility. If buses do that, great. If trams or trains are needed too, great.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Wasn’t quite sure where to post this however it does have some relevance as it’s related to the ownership of Volvo group this is probably more for the car business rather than the bus/heavy industry business however it’s good to see Volvo independent of Geely group

Volvo buys itself out of Geely joint venture
Chinese production of Volvo vehicles to come under full Swedish ownership
22 JUL 2021

Volvo to take full ownership of Chinese operations
Swedish company will buy out Geely's stake
China is currently Volvo's largest market
Volvo Cars has bought itself out of its joint venture with parent company Geely Holding, purchasing the Chinese company's stake to take full ownership of its production facilities in the country.

Through the deal, Volvo has acquired an additional 50 per cent of the shares in Daqing Volvo Car Manufacturing Co. Ltd and Shanghai Volvo Car Research and Development Co. Ltd, allowing it to assume full control over its operations in China – the manufacturer's biggest market.

While no financial details of the deal have been revealed, it's understood the plants in Chengdu and Daqing, as well as its research and development facility in Shanghai, will now be solely owned by Volvo.

CEO of Volvo Cars, Håkan Samuelsson, said: "With this agreement, Volvo Cars will become the first major non-Chinese automaker with full control over its Chinese operations."

Geely Holding CEO, Daniel Donghui Li, believes the deal will work best for both parties in determining a more transparent ownership structure.

"Geely Holding Group and Volvo Cars are continuously evaluating the best way to collaborate and structure operations within the wider Group," he said.

"These two transactions will create a clearer ownership structure within both Volvo Cars and Geely Holding."

The deal comes off the back of the Chinese Government lifting its requirement for foreign automotive manufacturers to engage in a joint venture partnership to manufacture vehicles in China, set to lift in 2022 before the Volvo and Geely agreement comes into effect in 2023.

Volvo Cars was sold to Geely from Ford in 2010, with Chinese production starting in 2013 and expanding in 2014 to allow the joint venture to grow locally. Sales in the country now account for 25 per cent of Volvo's worldwide deliveries.
The Swedish brand has entered a wide range of joint ventures in recent months relating to the production of its future vehicles, from the formation of an in-house battery development company, and a commitment to developing fossil-free steel, to its plans to use LiDAR tech in autonomous vehicles.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/vo ... nt-venture
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Volvo Cars and Volvo Group are independent entities aren't they?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A ridiculous error of judgement including Perth in this. The credibility of all the other assessments in the video is in question because of it. A visual brain fart.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

tonyp wrote:

A ridiculous error of judgement including Perth in this. The credibility of all the other assessments in the video is in question because of it. A visual brain fart.
Already been covered however many of the reasons on the list are so arbitrary like ugly and old…seriously? seems rather childish and petty the person needs a reality check. The addition of Cambodia was so unnecessary too considering what happened there

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”