WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Traklink

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by Traklink »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:25 am Bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone has digitalised copies of timetables from the early era of electrification on the Transperth Trains network?
The Metrobus archive has 1997 timetables in plain-text if that helps?

Armadale Line Map Timetable
Fremantle Line Map Timetable
Joondalup Line Map Timetable
Midland Line Map Timetable

Not sure what's happening at Mt Lawley inbound, but I think the times for East Perth onwards need to move one column to the left, then add an extra minute to get the correct arrival time at Perth
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
HL7619
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz OC500LE Diesel

Post by HL7619 »

Here's my Predictions for the 2024 bus fleet for Transperth and Regional Fleets
16xx series Future Buses move to regional fleets and Path Transit Welshpool
2124-2127 move to Busselton to Replace the 8xx series Buses.
NHs get retired in Carnarvon and get Replaced by Buses 2128-2130.
More Gas Buses get Retired 16xx series and some 19xx series
New 34xx series buses move into Swan Beckenham
Path Transit takes over the Canning and Southern River Contracts this will mean That Path will gain Beckenham, Southern River and Canning Vale Depots
Swan Transit will Keep Joondalup, Marmion, Claremont, Midland and Ellenbrook Contracts this will mean that SWAN will have Joondalup, Karrinyup, Beenyup, Midvale, Ellenbrook, Wangara, Claremont and Shenton Park Depots
Transdev will continue the Fremantle and Rockingham Contracts
PATH Will continue the Morley, Welshpool and Kalamunda Contract
First 35xx series Buses gets delivered to Transdev to replace the 19xx series GAS Buses and 22xx Future Buses that go to Wangara in Mid 2024
New Ocean Cat gets launched in November 2024 and Buses 2278, 2279 and 2280 will operate the route out of Karrinyup Depot and will be Painted in Cat Livery and will Operate from Hillarys Boat Harbour to Scarbrough via Karrinyup Shopping Centre
New Bus Route 356 gets Launched and operates from Greenwood Station to Ellenbrook Central via Whitfords Shopping Centre, Hillarys Boat Harbour and Kingsley Shopping Centre and up Hepburn Ave through Wangara Industriual and up Gangara Road via Ellenbrook Secondary College into Ellenbrook Central with Karrinyup and Midvale Buses Sharing the Route
New Regional Fleet Starts Up TransMargaret River and will operate 2 routes using 3 Volvo B7RLE Future Buses 2130-2132
22xx Series Numbers 2233-2243 Future Buses Move up from Mandurah to Wangara in May 2024 to Replace the 21xx series Future Buses that will go to regional fleets
Buses 2442-2455 move to Karrinyup to Join Buses 2246-2299, 2417-2422 and 2536-2547 as Buses 2432-2440 get moved from Karrinyup to Beckenham and 2441 gets moved to Midvale
Bus 3070 gets moved to Karrinyup as an additional Artic
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

It makes more sense to farm out Morley/Midland/Kalamunda as a mega package like Claremont/Marmion/Joondalup. Given Swan Transit already wrested Joondalup and Kalgoorlie, it is likely they may lose Midland. Having Path Transit in Midland makes a lot of sense as the region is completely sandwiched between Morley and Kalamunda. 955 can receive input from both Morley and Midland contract regions. 940/290/291 can be dual Midvale and Redcliffe control.
HL7619

Post by HL7619 »

Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:42 pm It makes more sense to farm out Morley/Midland/Kalamunda as a mega package like Claremont/Marmion/Joondalup. Given Swan Transit already wrested Joondalup and Kalgoorlie, it is likely they may lose Midland. Having Path Transit in Midland makes a lot of sense as the region is completely sandwiched between Morley and Kalamunda. 955 can receive input from both Morley and Midland contract regions. 940/290/291 can be dual Midvale and Redcliffe control.
Didn't think about that that's a Great Idea that would make more sense that Swan Transit has the Claremont/Marmion/Joondalup Contract, that Path Transit has the Morley/Midland/Kalamunda Contract and then Give Transdev the Fremantle/Rockingham/Canning/Southern River Contract
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

HL7619 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:42 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:42 pm It makes more sense to farm out Morley/Midland/Kalamunda as a mega package like Claremont/Marmion/Joondalup. Given Swan Transit already wrested Joondalup and Kalgoorlie, it is likely they may lose Midland. Having Path Transit in Midland makes a lot of sense as the region is completely sandwiched between Morley and Kalamunda. 955 can receive input from both Morley and Midland contract regions. 940/290/291 can be dual Midvale and Redcliffe control.
Didn't think about that that's a Great Idea that would make more sense that Swan Transit has the Claremont/Marmion/Joondalup Contract, that Path Transit has the Morley/Midland/Kalamunda Contract and then Give Transdev the Fremantle/Rockingham/Canning/Southern River Contract
There is a blog that discusses the economics of public transit in fine detail and I'm pretty impressed by them. There is an article that expounds on the logistical issues behind how each contract area is operated and how it could make it unprofitable for the winning operator in the long run. Although the context is about Singapore, some of its principles are also applicable to Perth. I think I know why Transdev couldn't hold on to Joondalup. It was basically being run as a silo while the rest of the contract areas in the south enjoyed some economy of scale.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

Bunbury is temporarily gaining a high-frequency bus service :P

Route 825 will run every 5-10 minutes between Bunbury Forum and Koombana Bay for the Bunbury Sky Fest, not sure if such a service has happened before in a regional town?

https://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Portals/15/Tr ... vpew%3d%3d
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Traklink wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:54 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:25 am Bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone has digitalised copies of timetables from the early era of electrification on the Transperth Trains network?
The Metrobus archive has 1997 timetables in plain-text if that helps?

Armadale Line Map Timetable
Fremantle Line Map Timetable
Joondalup Line Map Timetable
Midland Line Map Timetable

Not sure what's happening at Mt Lawley inbound, but I think the times for East Perth onwards need to move one column to the left, then add an extra minute to get the correct arrival time at Perth
Yes, that was a help, thanks for sharing that!

Still amazes me the impressive frequency of the Joondalup line at the time, perhaps necessitated by predominantly 2-car trains in use?
esperanceguy47

Post by esperanceguy47 »

From the Esperance Weekender, Jan 25 (edited by me, with thoughts by me in bold)

Op shop visit a day out

Nulsen residents who rely on the local bus service say a trip to the Esperance Care Services thrift shop in Chadwick is an outing of almost 6 hours.
According to the TransEsperance timetable, a bus leaving Winston Way at 9am will arrive at Esperance bus station at 9.22, just in time to catch the 9.30 bus to Castletown (the 810 becomes the 811, so they wouldn't be able to miss it!)

This arrives at ECS at 9.57, allowing 31 mins shopping before the bus takes you back. People who need more than 31 mins to shop have one more option, the 11.28am bus, which drops you off at the bus station at 11.55. You need to then wait until c.2.28/2.30pm for a connection to Nulsen, which will drop you back at Winston Way by 2.47pm.

And that's the end of the article :roll:

Think that's bad? You still cannot get a bus to West Beach before midday, and you only have 9-10 mins at the other end before the last bus brings you back to town :lol:

There's a whole bunch of bus shelters supposed to be going up on certain parts of all routes, especially & including the two stops at the main shops and the hospital, no idea if they'll include timetables.
former Perth public transport fanatic 1991-2005 and still fanboying to this day in Esperance
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Why have shelters when there are more pressing usability issues with the service?
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

News on the proposed extension of the Whiteman Park tram to Whiteman Park station

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 5f406.html

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/media- ... n-20240211
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

A nice move.

That said, did the #66 tram to Inglewood survive as today's Route 66 between Morley and EQBS via Beaufort Street?
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

66 was actually the fleet number, not the route.
HL7619

Post by HL7619 »

Does anybody remember the fleet numbers of the Mercedes Benz O305G Artics, NHs, Renault Artics and O305 rigid buses that were based at Karrinyup/Trigg Bus Depot from 1982-2017 because that's when my uncle neil used to drive out of there and they were the types of buses he drove. He also drove the Gas Buses 2038-2097 and First Generation of Volvos 2431-2455 out of there Aswell in that era. I know that the 24xx series b7s are still at karrinyup and the Gas Buses have now gone to Rockingham and Fremantle because karrinyup ditched their gas fleet 3 years ago if i remember correctly and now they have got 22xx b7s and 25xx b7s there now aswell as some b8 artics and b12 artics.
the c man

Post by the c man »

HL7619 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:53 pm Does anybody remember the fleet numbers of the Mercedes Benz O305G Artics, NHs, Renault Artics and O305 rigid buses that were based at Karrinyup/Trigg Bus Depot from 1982-2017 because that's when my uncle neil used to drive out of there and they were the types of buses he drove. He also drove the Gas Buses 2038-2097 and First Generation of Volvos 2431-2455 out of there Aswell in that era. I know that the 24xx series b7s are still at karrinyup and the Gas Buses have now gone to Rockingham and Fremantle because karrinyup ditched their gas fleet 3 years ago if i remember correctly and now they have got 22xx b7s and 25xx b7s there now aswell as some b8 artics and b12 artics.
2455 was never delivered to Karrinyup depot, it was delivered new to midvale. Where it's been since delivery
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

105,000 boardings on the Ferry in December. Even higher than the record set when Elizabeth Quay first opened, and the first time it's ever reached 6 digits :!:
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Interesting development. I hope it's workable.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 5f8kx.html
rhino_marshall

Post by rhino_marshall »

I decided to map all of the Perth bus routes on Google My Maps...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

It's colour-coded into train lines and updated pretty regularly. Different layers can be toggled on and off.
Last edited by rhino_marshall on Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Thats very good but suggest changing yellow routes to purple or something as the yellow blends too much into the road network.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

rhino_marshall wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:38 am I decided to map all of the Perth bus routes on Google My Maps...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

It's colour-coded into train lines and updated pretty regularly. Different layers can be toggled on and off.
That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

HL7619 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:53 pm Does anybody remember the fleet numbers of the Mercedes Benz O305G Artics, NHs, Renault Artics
I recall 672 673 674 and 696 during my tenure there (1998-2006)
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
esperanceguy47

Post by esperanceguy47 »

I thought I was a pretty big enthusiast back in the day, but Transport of Perth's videos of the C-series on youtube kinda leave me in the dust! Kids & teens are PT enthusiasts - who knew!

Don't suppose Mr ToP is a member of this forum...?
former Perth public transport fanatic 1991-2005 and still fanboying to this day in Esperance

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”