WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

pasha241

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by pasha241 »

Hi i just want to know how changeoff work for Circleroute when the broken at Far location from origin depot. (for example; Canning Vale/Fremantlebus broken around Stirling station while doing cirleRoute, Morley/Bayswater bus Broken at Fremantle/Murdoch).

Is they gonna send replacement from closest depo of the location (CV bus get a replacement bus from Karrinyup for CircleRoute, Freo bus get replacement from Wangara/Joondalup (before 2020) for circleRoute, Malaga/Bayswater get replacement from Welshpool for Circleroute).

(eg: 960 with Malaga-Welshpool, 549 Rockingham-Freo, maybe 355 (Ellenbrook/Midvale-Beenyup/Wangara)
or they just send a replacement bus from same depot to the next shift after they doing circleroute (that would mean if the bus broken they decided just to wait for next bus, however i am not sure what happen if it on sunday when circleroute 30 minutes frequency)
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

A replacement will come from anywhere (not between operators to the best of my knowledge), it boils down to what can be arranged quickly. I'm not sure if there are arrangements between the operators for breakdowns near other depots; it would seem more sensible than paying for a tow across town.

As for managing late running from a breakdown, this can be managed in a myriad of different ways. It might be the trip is dropped if sufficiently late for several buses to have passed (which can incur financial penalties). The trip might also be allowed to run late (particularly when frequency is low), and another driver does an extra run or two so the original shift can complete their trip, and resume running on time.
Those are two examples of what might be done - logically the solution would be to minimise penalties for late runs, dropped trips in addition to overtime costs. There are some very talented individuals working behind the scenes to manage these issues on a daily basis and make everything seem completely normal to the end users. Hats off to them.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

In my experience on circle specifically, buses can get changed from anywhere but usually get changed-off with buses from the same Depot.

Fremantle is the closest Transdev Depot to anywhere on the circle, for Path most of the depots are relatively close together so it's not really necessary to change-off from somewhere else. Swan would be the most likely to do it but they don't seem to like mixing buses up. Again, just my experience.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Buses are never changed off between operators. This can't happen for a multitude of reasons, those of which I won't be mentioning.

Generally if a bus breaks down on the circle, a mechanic from the nearest depot, regardless of operator is dispatched to attend to the disabled bus. This is part of the reason why the circle route is required to be operated solely by Volvo Buses. It used to be a pain when a Gas Bus would break down, lets say at Southlands shops for example... A mechanic from Canning Vale would be dispatched, arrive to find a gas bus there, which he/she is not qualified to touch, so they would return to the depot and advise that a mechanic from the bus' home depot would need to be dispatched.

Change off buses are usually sourced from the bus' home depot, except occasionally for Malaga/Bayswater, where a Welshpool Bus may be sourced if the breakdown is closer to that depot and they have the resources avaliable
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
komen_413
Favourite Vehicle: B8s with VOITH Gearboxes!

Post by komen_413 »

Gas buses can be operated on shorter circle routes for example ones the terminate and depart UWA and terminate/depart at stns such as Stirling or Morley vice versa.

But yes Volvos are put solely on the full on circle routes and the only time you would see a gasbus on a full circle would be a result of a change off.
Last edited by komen_413 on Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

CNGs were never supplied by CVDEP anyway. The OCs on 98/99 were from Palmyra and Malaga (and occasionally, Gosnells). A breakdown OC at Southlands could be attended to by a Palmyra (or Welshpool) mechanic, while one at Stirling would be seen to by someone from Malaga (or Karrinyup).

By comparison, a breakdown B7 at Stirling can be substituted by one from Mount Claremont easily.

A side note, OCs doing late night runs in Belmont broke down a lot, that's why 1399-1428 were sent to Malaga in exchange for B7s.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

As I was looking up on the Transperth app for this weekend rail closure between Cockburn Central and Mandurah, I noticed that instead of a full trip the 909 is split into 2 different routes serving selected stations which means someone who hopped on at Kwinana and is going to down to Mandurah will need to change buses at Rockingham and one going from Rockingham will have a choice of a faster or slower trip to get to Cockburn. Does anyone have a clue why it's arranged in this way?

Trip A - to/from Mandurah, express to Rockingham and stopping at Warnbro
Trip B - to/from Rockingham, stopping at Aubin Grove, Kwinana and Wellard
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Going through the suburbs around Kwinana takes quite a bit of time. If every trip ran all stops between Cockburn and Mandurah it would take forever which isn't ideal. Even skipping Wellard, Kwinana and Aubin Grove, the trip from Mandurah takes 1hr 10mins on the timetable to get to Cockburn. Running all stops would add about another 20-30 minutes onto that trip.

Splitting the trips up is best for everyone. People South of Rockingham don't take two hours to get to/from the city, people in Wellard/Kwinana/Aubin Grove will be more likely to find a seat on their buses, and fewer buses are needed if they aren't all doing full trips.

While it's true that people going from Aubin Grove/Kwinana/Wellard to Mandurah will have to change buses, that isn't a particularly common trip for people to make.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Zidanehartono wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:52 pmDoes anyone have a clue why it's arranged in this way?
Express trips typically operate on the Perth-Cockburn shutdowns too; such that passengers making an onward journey have a departure from the City that will typically connect with a southbound train at Cockburn. Depending on prevailing road conditions, the time saving of this trip is often 15-30mins (it can be done in about 30mins), which greatly reduces the inconvenience to passengers impacted by a shutdown. For comparison, the all-stops trip can take nearly an hour.

During Cockburn-Mandurah shutdowns, the Rockingham Express trips are run for precisely the same reason as above - to reduce the inconvenience to passengers impacted by the closures (they only run Cockburn-Mandurah for nighttime shutdowns - I am unsure of the arrangement for daytime closures). There are typically a couple of "Express-Express" trips direct to Mandurah during the night time closures too.
Usually, the express will arrive at Rockingham at about the time an all-stopper arrives, so passengers can make their way south with relative ease. The time saving of the express trip is such that you will meet the all-stops trip that left Cockburn 15, or even 30mins prior.

For shutdowns of both the inner and outer sections of the line, the last bus or two will not meet a train (e.g. one to Mandurah for a Perth-Cockburn closure, or one to the City for a Cockburn-Mandurah closure), so those will operate the full trip.
Enviro 500 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:39 am A side note, OCs doing late night runs in Belmont broke down a lot, that's why 1399-1428 were sent to Malaga in exchange for B7s.
There's probably more to it than that.
komen_413

Post by komen_413 »

And also it's not really practical for a Fremantle bus to be dead running all the way to Mandurah to commerce a 909 back to the city vice versa if that's what's happening in the past.

It's probably going the be the case of that Rockingham/Mandurah buses operates a majority of 909s between Rockingham to Mandurah vice versa and Fremantle and some Rockingham buses operating a majority to Perth and back.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

While that's a completely logical statement, in practice, it isn't as clean cut as that.
The 15min frequency from Perth runs much later into the evening than from Mandurah, and for closures on the outer section at night, you've only got the all-stops trips coming back up every 30mins. So there's generally a reasonable bit of back and forth for this to all work.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

i just want ask maybe people that live around mirrabooka/girrawheen or a lot of time been there know. Is karrinyup ever run 374 or not? Because I only saw Beenyup bus (Marmion contract area) doing it but never saw karrinyup in this route.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... nched.aspx

The upgrade of Smartrider from RFID to NFC to allow for the integration of Apple/Google Pay & digital smartrider will be operational from 2023 this includes the replacement of over 4,000 smartrider and ticketing machines across Perth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
komen_413

Post by komen_413 »

By the looks of it Transperth have scrapped the cash box system on buses so drivers are now able to give out change when handing cash fares.
Last edited by komen_413 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

komen_413 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:19 pm *Unsure if this belongs in this thread so apologies goes to the mods & others.*

But by the looks of it Transperth have scrapped the cash box system on buses so drivers are now able to give out change when handing cash fares.
To me it makes scant difference. I grew up with the cash box system in 1980s and 1990s Singapore so I'm used to that.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

If cash is going to be accepted, I think it goes against the principal of customer service (and common decency) to refuse to give the passenger change. It may even induce fare evasion, which is seldom-policed outside the train network.

For the most part, cash fares and top-ups comprise a relatively small number of total boardings, so it isn't as though everyone's day is being greatly held up, and thus any arguments about what century we live in are largely irrelevant. For occasional users (particularly those on the fringe of society who rely on cash), a SmartRider may simply not be worth the cost, or the hassle of boarding, only to find it needs a $5 min. top-up.
Planned implementation of the debit card payment option will likely reduce the need for cash further, but I don't foresee its demise as a payment option just yet.
komen_413

Post by komen_413 »

I was told by a source that there was a low risk of covid transmission when it came to handling cash, but imo I believe that there were complaints received by both drivers and passengers in regards to the cashbox system. For example a passenger purchasing a Standard $3.20 ticket but tendering a $5 note and not being able to receive change, although I'm sure quite a few drivers were nice enough to give out change when it came to situations like this.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Regarding risk of transmission, correct. Few (if any) Governments, or the World Health Organisation have suggested any risk is posed by handling cash during the pandemic. In fact, with the Delta Strain, even if Perth was using back-doors only, I suspect the risk of a driver being infected would be quite high due to the fairly 'sealed' nature of the present bus fleet.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

The idea of giving out change on public buses harks back to the conductor era, which some third world countries still have.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Well then the idea of giving out change works. It's common sense, passengers only pay for what they'll use. As the saying goes, why fix what ain't broken?
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

It seems the reason for 1467-71 heading to Kalgoorlie is due to the diesel OCs moving from Kalgoorlie to Esperance. Does Esperance need that many vehicles or are the Esperance NHs due to retire soon?
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Enviro 500 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:02 pm It seems the reason for 1467-71 heading to Kalgoorlie is due to the diesel OCs moving from Kalgoorlie to Esperance. Does Esperance need that many vehicles or are the Esperance NHs due to retire soon?
The Esperance NHs have officially retired today. They made a stop for a refuel and photoshoot at Ravensthorpe Roadhouse this afternoon, on the way back to Perth: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUtRVvSpUDN/
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:02 pm It seems the reason for 1467-71 heading to Kalgoorlie is due to the diesel OCs moving from Kalgoorlie to Esperance. Does Esperance need that many vehicles or are the Esperance NHs due to retire soon?
The Esperance NHs have officially retired today. They made a stop for a refuel and photoshoot at Ravensthorpe Roadhouse this afternoon, on the way back to Perth: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUtRVvSpUDN/
In that case, expect them to pop up at Manheim with 1188 and 1199 in the near future.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Enviro 500 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:45 pm
Bus Suggestions wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 pm

In that case, expect them to pop up at Manheim with 1188 and 1199 in the near future.
Why would they go to Manheim? 1188 and 1199 have been in storage (with the other remaining Transdev NHs 1190, 1197 and 1200) since 2019 and there's no reason to think they won't return to storage now. Same with the others.

In fact, no NHs have been fully withdrawn in a long while (I think 1842 was the last one?)
esperanceguy47

Post by esperanceguy47 »

In regards to this, there's a (yet another) proposal to introduce a town bus service, spear-headed by an individual who runs something called SEED Hub in the *charming* back suburb of Nulsen; she was also running for a seat on the Council elections on the 16th, but has had to pull out. Town services beyond the morning & afternoon school buses (which the public can catch) have been discussed for years, with nothing ever coming out of it, or with limited success. This time around, the proposal is directed around running a touristy-type service out to Twilight Beach over summer, and/or some kind of shoppers bus which would have to operate outside of school hours, 9am-2.30pm-ish, but from where to where & by what route & how many times a day/days per week, is yet to be worked out. There's meant to be some bigwigs from TransRegional coming along this month or so, with a final decision being made during November... unless it all falls apart, that is :roll:

But by all means, send us more of your green 'n' silvers!! :D
former Perth public transport fanatic 1991-2005 and still fanboying to this day in Esperance

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”