Newcastle Transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Newcastle Transport

Post by Fleet Lists »

Cant find anything about it on their website. (or on Transport Info)
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Yeah I can''t really explain why all the other driveless shuttles to my knowledge got some sort of mention on the official operators website & social media pages but the Newcastle one hasn't unless it has since been removed and with the pandemic why keep redundant information up but you'd then think there'd be a trial left behind of it's original announcement or something?

From what I recall, it was suppose to run along Newcastle Beach but I never witnessed it doing so, then the Supercars came and the driverless shuttle got moved to Civic Plaza to do a round autonomous loop of the plaza and I may have been told by a Newcastle Transport employee (which take this as a grain of salt but it makes sense)that after the Supercars was finished it would be moving back to operating along the Newcastle Beach but I never really got back to verifying if that ever happened and with my life becoming a lot more busy this year and the pandemic, I kinda forgot about it until the story about it came up on the news.

I don't expect Newcastle Transport nor KD to make any further news posts on the autonomous shuttle on their website, if they didn't when the trial started running I certainly don't see them doing it now.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 pm The Driverless trial has been running since late last year
It was just a once off publicilty stunt for it.

See this NBN TV video: https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2020/05/26/u ... -bus-trial

The Herald does have an article, but it's behind a paywall.
---------
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 pm From what I recall, it was suppose to run along Newcastle Beach but I never witnessed it doing so, then the Supercars came and the driverless shuttle got moved to Civic Plaza
I think it was meant to go along Wharf Rd & maybe Newcastle Beach possibly to & from Queens Wharf. But if it does that, it's just doubling up on what the tram does.

And another thing, how would it know if a passenger wants to get off at a middle bus stop?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

It seems to be a council initiative, not TfNSW:
https://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/Counci ... ss-vehicle
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Everything you need to know about upcoming changes to Newcastle bus timetables

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/newcastle/ ... e/12864574
The local bus timetable in Newcastle will look a bit different from December 13th, 2020.

It's part of some changes being made by Keolis Downer, which will aim to get you around town easier and quicker.

So, what can we expect?

ABC Newcastle's Paul Turton spoke to Mark Dunlop, General Manager for Keolis Downer Hunter, to find out more.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Newcastle Flyer

Some good & bad changes.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

Re: Private Bus Observations 2020

New bus timetables and maps out for times from Sunday 13 December 2020.
https://newcastletransport.info/news-ev ... provements.

Good & bad points.

Improvement for Route 23 for the terminus, but they should've sent it the former way by Foreshore Park to terminate at Parnell Place, and just added the Nobbys Beach stop that was already there. I think I know why they changed the Newcastle East terminus though.
White lives matter too.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

2739 ST (Volvo B7RLE Bustech VST) was operating a 59D on demand service around 1:50 PM in Charlestown today.
Newcastle Flyer

Happens quite often.
White lives matter too.
Nat

Post by Nat »

3406, formerly of Newcastle Transport, sighted today still in full livery and reg M/O3406 at Putney Shops in Sydney. Desto stated 'Shuttle'.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

3406 is owned by NKV Tours Milperra,have had it since 9/2020
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Well great to see the O405N's still getting some love and you know... not mashed up into a 101 bits and pieces of scrap metal.

Does NKV Tours do any rail replacement by any chance or just charter?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

They did what State Transit couldn't manage. Bring one down to Sydney!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Both the STA Mercedes O405N's were originally based in Sydney (I believe Port Botany Depot, correct me if I'm wrong) and when the Airport Express service was dissolved only did they then move up to Newcastle and spend the majority of their life up there.

I believe there's an old thread on here or perhaps on Flickr that these were due to be moved back to Sydney in 2010 or 2009 but one of them broke down on the way to Sydney and STA pretty much shrugged their shoulders and had the buses kept in Newcastle Instead.
Swift

Post by Swift »

They're pretty much a Mercedes equivalent to a Brissy Volvo B10L with the Orana body.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

If you've looked at the Fleet-lists lately, you may have noticed some B10BLE's are on the way out with one having already been confirmed sold to Diggers Shuttle Service, as for the others currently not sure who the new owners are.

This would also mark the first batch of the "STA" B10BLE's to be withdrawn with STA & Transit Systems having withdrawn none to date (and those that were withdrawn previously were because of fire / accident damage).

Whether Newcastle Transport plans to replace these with more B8RLE Bustechs is yet to be seen however once can only sit back and wait for time to lapse and see what happens.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I don't understand the sense in sending any up there in the first place. They ride much nicer than the Scania L113 rattle carts.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

3967 was withdrawn by Transit Systems at Burwood in June for Spare parts but other than that it's the first none accident damaged withdrawal.
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 pm If you've looked at the Fleet-lists lately, you may have noticed some B10BLE's are on the way out with one having already been confirmed sold to Diggers Shuttle Service, as for the others currently not sure who the new owners are.

This would also mark the first batch of the "STA" B10BLE's to be withdrawn with STA & Transit Systems having withdrawn none to date (and those that were withdrawn previously were because of fire / accident damage).

Whether Newcastle Transport plans to replace these with more B8RLE Bustechs is yet to be seen however once can only sit back and wait for time to lapse and see what happens.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Good to hear. They are a quality bus and the best Oranas in the fleet.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

https://newcastletransport.info/new-express-route/

https://newcastletransport.info/more-se ... t-network/
“Customers will see improved travel times between Charlestown and Newcastle with the new route 10X, which will be added to timetables from April,” Mr Genlot said.

“This route will have limited stops, taking customers from Charlestown via City Road directly to Newcastle Interchange, where they can connect with light rail and train services.

The new route will operate every 30 minutes during the morning and afternoon peaks –adding an extra 90 services each week between the Charlestown and Newcastle interchanges and connecting the two economic and social centres. The route will also service Marketown.
“For the first time, we are improving services across all Newcastle Transport modes including bus, ferry, light rail and On Demand services.”

“The operating hours of the Newcastle Transport On Demand service will be extended from 4pm until 6pm on weekdays benefitting Lake Macquarie commuters taking advantage of the new express route service, the 10X.”

"Changes will be implemented on Sunday 3 April."
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So I got to ride one of Newcastle Transports recently delivered brand new B8RLE's yesterday (Didn't think I'd come across them that quickly to be honest). Off the top of my head I've noted some changes to the last batch of B8RLE's delivered in 2020 or 2019 (thereabouts) I rode fleet number 2829

Outside;

off the top of my head the left hand side mirror is yellow

The front & rear doors have yellow line strip markings running up them (guessing some visibility thing)

Front Entry door features the new Bustech logo, nothing to do with "Precision VST" as what is seen on some of the later delivered Transit Systems Scania Bustechs.

The window at the very rear side of the bus is straight, not curved as seen on the Transit Systems Scania VST's.

Inside

Front passenger seat is no longer an emergency exit window? (Have to redouble check that) as is the front right hand side

Noticed that the same Moquette is featured from what I've seen on the electric buses in Sydney. There is no longer any Graffiti moquette as what was seen on the last delivered batch of B8's for NT.

The rear door is now flat floor entry / exit instead of having a little step there (as what was seen on the last batch of Bustechs for NT)

The last point means there is now a couple of steps to take up to get up to the rear as what you see on Volgrens & the rest of the low entry buses. There is no longer a "sloped gangway"

The bus features a somewhat working internal destination sign, it listed the route it was on (Example: 11 Jesmond via Mayfield) but isn't currently listing upcoming stops at this stage (Hopefully this is something that Newcastle Transport works on as it is desperately needed and should honestly be standard already). The last batch of B8RLE's did have some of these internal monitor / signs but they were never set up (may have since changed but I doubt it).

Same thing with the above, pushing the "Stop request" button not only lights up the bus stopping sign behind the driver (and buzzer sound) but also displays a big red "Stop sign" on the internal monitor.

Off the top of my head, that's all I've noticed at this stage, only got to take a short ride of it so done my best to note a lot of differences. In the next post you will see two pictures I was able to quickly snap, one of the interior from the rear and the Moquette.
Last edited by ScaniaGrenda on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Quick pictures. Both from the newly delivered B8RLE Bustech VST @ Newcastle Transport, fleet no 2829.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It's good to see the modern concept of the stepless doorway finally get through to Bustech. It's only taken, what, 20 years? I suspect that may only because of specification set by more enlightened customers who themselves are in a minority.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”