Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Re: Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:
moa999 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:11 pm Assuming it will be covered by a Zone 1/2 ticket for travel to/from CBD.
2-zone ticket. I'm not fully-versed on the intricacies of, say, the paper-ticketing system in Queensland (which would describe such a journey like that, if I'm right), but this 2-zone allows travel to the next zone over from the original purchase zone (i.e. you could go to Z1, back to Z2, then transfer to a service going into Z3), for two hours, with unrestricted transfers.

When Oats Street was upgraded there was mention of a frequent shuttle between Oats Street and the Airport. Nothing appeared on the network maps for that one either.
The Redcliffe- Oats street link bus has been deferred until after the shutdown and yes it’s unrestricted between each zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Sunday October 9th

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Official Media Statement:
Media Statements WA wrote:All aboard: date set for opening of METRONET Forrestfield-Airport Link
Tuesday, 16 August 2022
It's all systems go for the $1.86 billion METRONET Forrestfield-Airport Link, which is set to begin operations on 9 October.

This opening date announcement comes as testing and commissioning enters its final stages, with driver training now underway.

The METRONET Forrestfield-Airport Link, to be known as the Airport Line when it opens, is jointly funded by the Australian and Western Australian Governments, and will be the first passenger rail line to Perth Airport.

The project will deliver three new train stations at Redcliffe, Airport Central and High Wycombe, increasing public transport options for Perth's eastern suburbs and foothills area.

This will support domestic and international tourism by improving access between the city and Perth Airport, and create new residential and commercial opportunities around Redcliffe and High Wycombe Stations.

It's anticipated an average of 20,000 passenger trips will be made each day on the new rail line in its first year of service, increasing to 29,000 by 2032.

The Airport Line will be supported by an enhanced bus network connecting surrounding suburbs to the new train stations, adding an additional 26 new buses to the network, as well as 1.7 million annual bus service kilometres to the Transperth network.

Contracts have also been awarded for the next stage of works on the METRONET: Byford Rail Extension and Victoria Park-Canning Level Crossing Removal projects, which are jointly funded by the Australian and WA Governments.

The $625 million contract for the next stage of the METRONET: Byford Rail Extension has been awarded to MetCONNX Alliance to design and build the project, which will create better transport connections for Serpentine Jarrahdale - one of the fastest growing areas in Australia.

The MetCONNX Alliance consists of Laing O'Rourke, Pritchard Francis Consulting and Kellogg Brown & Root.

The METRONET: Byford Rail Extension will deliver:
  • a new ground-level Byford Station with around 400 parking bays, a bus interchange, and pedestrian connections;
  • elevated rail through Armadale, with a new elevated Armadale Station; and
  • removal of eight level crossings at Armadale Road, Forrest Road, Church Avenue, Seventh Road (pedestrian level crossing), Byron Road, Eleventh Road, Thomas Road and Larsen Road - with works already underway on the Thomas Road project.
  • The $701 million Victoria Park-Canning Level Crossing Removal project main works contract has been awarded to the Armadale Line Upgrade Alliance (Acciona Construction, BMD Constructions, WSP and AECOM).
The Victoria Park-Canning Level Crossing Removal project includes:
  • replacing five level crossings at Mint Street, Oats Street, Welshpool Road, Hamilton Street and Wharf Street with elevated rail;
  • four new elevated stations at Carlisle, Oats Street, Queens Park and Cannington; and
  • creation of around six hectares of versatile public space and better community connections through elevated rail.
In addition the Australian and WA Governments recently committed an additional investment of $175 million for the removal of the William Street level crossing and an elevated Beckenham Station, which will be added to the scope of the contract once planning is completed.

These projects will see Perth's first major elevated rail through sections of Victoria Park, Canning and Armadale, with up to 14 level crossings removed for good.

They are also expected to create more than 8,500 local jobs, kickstarting development opportunities in and around the new stations.

The planned 18-month shutdown of the Armadale Line to facilitate the transformation of the rail infrastructure will now commence in late 2023.

Postponing the shutdown is necessary given workforce and supply chain issues in WA's booming economy, and to allow more time to prepare for the increased scope of the level crossing removal project.

The changes to the shutdown timing will result in the opening of the METRONET: Byford Rail Extension and the METRONET: Thornlie-Cockburn Link moved to 2025 – once the new elevated Armadale Line is operating.

The changed time frame ensures commuters are only impacted for one AFL football season instead of two, and also avoid major events such as the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup.

Comments attributable to Prime Minister of Australia Anthony Albanese:

"Our Government is partnering with the McGowan Government to deliver billions of dollars of upgrades and improvements to road and rail projects around Western Australia, creating and supporting thousands of local jobs.

"As a former Infrastructure Minister, I know how important access to affordable and accessible public transport is and I'm really pleased this important METRONET project will start operating later this year.

"I look forward to visiting Perth and riding on the new Forrestfield-Airport Link later this year."

Comments attributable to WA Premier Mark McGowan:

"October 9 will mark an important milestone in our massive METRONET expansion of Perth's public transport network.

"The METRONET Forrestfield-Airport Link will be a game-changer for people in Perth's eastern suburbs.

"METRONET is providing the infrastructure our suburbs need, reducing congestion on our roads and delivering thousands of jobs right across Perth."

Comments attributable to Federal Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King:

"The Australian Government is proud to be supporting this crucial transport link for Perth, which has not only supported jobs through its construction but will provide a long-lasting boost to domestic and international tourism.

"Investment in key infrastructure such as the METRONET link to Perth Airport is critical for the State's economy and tourism sector, while also ensuring Western Australians are better connected to the rest of the nation and the world.

"This investment from the Australian Government will greatly enhance and streamline access to Perth Airport and better integrate it into the city's public transport network."

Comments attributable to WA Transport, Planning and Ports Minister Rita Saffioti:

"Today's announcement has been many years in the making and I want to thank everyone who has played a part in delivering this project, which will fundamentally change how people travel to and from our airport.

"The METRONET Forrestfield-Airport Link has been one of the biggest and most complex public transport infrastructure projects our State has ever undertaken, including the delivery of an 8.5-kilometre rail tunnel that travels underneath the Swan River.

"We expect in the first year of service, we will see around 20,000 passenger movements everyday on the rail line, which will increase public transport options for Perth's eastern suburbs and foothills area, as well as for visitors and residents going to and from the airport.

"I look forward to jumping on a train when operations begin in October.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/VZDe0nb0xaM

hack404

Post by hack404 »

There's some bus detail on the Transperth website

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Journe ... rport-Line
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Finally it's happening. Ideally, 292 should be operated as a free service. The luggage buses can all be permanently allocated for this route.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Interesting that (at a glance) the main selling point are the peak frequencies of the local buses. I guess we'll see in due course whether the East's nighttime buses get an appreciable boost too.
TRS-80

Post by TRS-80 »

I saw a B set using the turnback at Claremont this morning, and some more with Not in service or just blank destos at Perth this afternoon

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

TRS-80 wrote:I saw a B set using the turnback at Claremont this morning, and some more with Not in service or just blank destos at Perth this afternoon

I have seen a couple displaying High Wycombe

Traklink

Post by Traklink »

AIRPORT LINE TIMETABLE

Most trips run all stations High Wycombe-Claremont, some evening and early morning trips run as pattern P (All stations High Wycombe-Perth only).

15 minute frequency extends until 9pm on weeknights compared to 8pm currently on the Midland/Fremantle lines. Seems that stations between Bayswater and Claremont will also get 15 minutes or better through to midnight (and 7-8 minutes during the day, even on weekends) when combined with the other lines.

Also looks like the peak shoulders have been extended a bit - e.g. evening peak services from Perth continue at a twelve minute frequency until 7pm compared to 6pm currently on the Midland line and 6.30pm on the Fremantle line.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
Bus Suggestions

While not linked to anywhere on the Transperth website (save for trawling through the search function), access maps for each station are now available:

Redcliffe Station
Airport Central Station
High Wycombe Station

Interestingly, just like on the consultation maps, route 37 from Airport Central to Oats St is nowhere to be seen. 380 isn't mentioned either on the map - make of it what you may.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Probably intro of 37 will be delayed until after the Armadale Line has been upgraded.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

It will still be a moderately useful link with the line shut, at least in my opinion.
subtekjr

Post by subtekjr »

You'll still have replacement buses running along the Armadale Line, so it would make sense to have these connect with the services to take you to other lines still.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Traklink wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:10 pm AIRPORT LINE TIMETABLE
It perhaps goes without saying, but there will have to be some fairly substantial timing changes across the entire Fremantle-Midland corridor to accommodate the change (reduction) to 12min peak frequency on the ends of the line. Even though timetables around Midland particularly are quite "messy", this isn't going to help them out. Still, at least on balance a lot of people in the hills stand to benefit, and for that we should be glad.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Enviro 500 wrote:Finally it's happening. Ideally, 292 should be operated as a free service. The luggage buses can all be permanently allocated for this route.
As a zonal system, it is effectively free for anyone arriving/departing on the train.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

moa999 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:55 am
Enviro 500 wrote:Finally it's happening. Ideally, 292 should be operated as a free service. The luggage buses can all be permanently allocated for this route.
As a zonal system, it is effectively free for anyone arriving/departing on the train.
I mean that it should be operated like the CAT routes and Midland shuttle.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:57 am
moa999 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:55 am As a zonal system, it is effectively free for anyone arriving/departing on the train.
I mean that it should be operated like the CAT routes and Midland shuttle.
I don't see benefit in that. People will use the parking at Redcliffe and take the free bus to the airport.

Better that it stay a paid service to maximise train use and relieve parking pressures.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
TRS-80

Post by TRS-80 »

Traklink wrote:AIRPORT LINE TIMETABLE
It shares platform 7/8 with Fremantle and Midland trains, I thought they might start using 6 and 9.

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

There doesn't seem to be much benefit to doing so - after all the Airport trains aren't really all that different from a W pattern on the North-South corridor, with the exception of a few extra stations.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

There is no need for FAL trains to use platforms 6 & 9 it’ll be mainly used by Ellenbrook I do believe the shutdown will include some reconfiguration of Perth yard so MEL trains can access platform 6 without having to cross over to the Armadale side another shutdown might be needed so trains can access the Perth siding from platform 9 eastbound it can currently only be accessed from platform 8. Platform 6 is used by a couple of Armadale line services as well as the Joondalup line during tunnel maintenance as well as the Royal show and most bi-directional stadium services from Freo & Joondalup. Ideally stadium trains should be able to pass through platforms 6/7 & 8/9 rather than having to run bi-directionally solely through platform 6 so I can see where Perth yard would be more crossovers and reconfiguring

wachris

Post by wachris »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 pm While not linked to anywhere on the Transperth website (save for trawling through the search function), access maps for each station are now available:

Redcliffe Station
Airport Central Station
High Wycombe Station

Interestingly, just like on the consultation maps, route 37 from Airport Central to Oats St is nowhere to be seen. 380 isn't mentioned either on the map - make of it what you may.
The current station maps that show a bus stop separate to an interchange only show the replacement bus services. I assume 37 will start on 9 Oct in line with all others
hack404

Post by hack404 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:04 pm While not linked to anywhere on the Transperth website (save for trawling through the search function), access maps for each station are now available:

Redcliffe Station
Airport Central Station
High Wycombe Station

The direction of travel looks wrong on the Redcliffe platform layout
kaplan_thornhill

Post by kaplan_thornhill »

TP1462 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm There is no need for FAL trains to use platforms 6 & 9 it’ll be mainly used by Ellenbrook I do believe the shutdown will include some reconfiguration of Perth yard so MEL trains can access platform 6 without having to cross over to the Armadale side another shutdown might be needed so trains can access the Perth siding from platform 9 eastbound it can currently only be accessed from platform 8. Platform 6 is used by a couple of Armadale line services as well as the Joondalup line during tunnel maintenance as well as the Royal show and most bi-directional stadium services from Freo & Joondalup. Ideally stadium trains should be able to pass through platforms 6/7 & 8/9 rather than having to run bi-directionally solely through platform 6 so I can see where Perth yard would be more crossovers and reconfiguring

You can already access platform six in town from the Midland up main.

Services coming from Perth Stadium can currently pass through any of the platforms at McIver and access the through platforms of 6/7/8/9. They can also cruise through both Claisebrook 1/2.

KT
Bus Suggestions

Full details of service changes are now up on the Transperth website with maps - route 37 included - with an accompanying Media Statement. Full service changes will be posted in the Service Changes thread.
Media Statements WA wrote:Bus network changes to support METRONET Airport Line opening
31/08/2022 9:05 AM
  • Government announces bus network changes to service new Airport Line
  • New bus network will provide local residents with more travel options
  • More than a dozen bus services will connect to new stations
  • The changes will deliver an additional 1.7 million bus service kilometres each year
  • 90 additional bus stops to be installed across the metropolitan network
With a date now set for the opening of the Airport Line, the State Government has today announced changes to the extensive bus network that will better link the local community to the line's new stations.

The announced changes follow a period of community consultation late last year, with a number of modifications made to the bus network in Perth's eastern suburbs to connect the local community to the new High Wycombe, Airport Central and Redcliffe stations.

On average, the new bus network will provide local residents with more travel options with higher-frequency services, a longer spread of operating hours, more services running seven days a week and improved access to community hubs such as Midland and Cannington, as well as the Airport.

The changes will deliver an additional 1.7 million bus service kilometres each year on the network, with 90 additional bus stops to be installed. Twenty-seven new buses will also be added to the network with around 50 additional drivers to be hired and trained as part of the expansion.

As part of the changes, eight bus services will connect to the new High Wycombe Station, while seven will connect to the new Redcliffe Station.

Services to Redcliffe Station will include a new high frequency circular route 292, providing regular connections to terminals 3 and 4.

Changes have also been made to several routes servicing Midland Station, creating better connections with the Kalamunda, High Wycombe and Redcliffe areas, as well as amendments to route 278 to give Hillview Lifestyle Village residents more convenient access to the High Wycombe Village Shopping Centre, and Midland and High Wycombe stations.

A new high frequency 940 bus route will also be established, to run between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station and Redcliffe Station via Great Eastern Highway. The service will run seven days a week, and is the ninth high frequency bus service on the network.

The new bus network will come into effect when the Airport Line opens, with early works associated with bus stop planning already under way. Bus timetables continue to be refined and will be released closer to the opening date.

Further details on the Airport Line and new bus routes can be found at https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Journe ... rport-Line

Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:

"Delivering the Airport Line has been an enormous engineering feat for Western Australia, but in the background we've been carefully planning how we connect the community to our new train stations.

"We want to see as many people as possible using the new Airport Line, which is why we undertook extensive consultation with the community to understand what bus network changes would be needed to provide the access needed.

"Years of planning have gone into ensuring our bus network - which will work in tandem with the Airport Line - is enticing for customers to use, with services running more frequently and over a longer spread of hours.

"As well as making it as easy as possible for our passengers to link with the Airport Line, this more robust bus network will improve cross-suburban travel for eastern suburbs residents and create easier access to important hubs like Midland and Cannington."

Comments attributed to Forrestfield MLA Stephen Price:

"The new Airport Line and High Wycombe train station will significantly improve public transport access for people living in our south-eastern suburbs and foothills areas.

"With the train line opening imminently, we will see changes to the bus network which will improve the frequency of services, deliver longer hours of operation and provide a significant number of connections to get people to and from High Wycombe station."

Comments attributed to Belmont MLA Cassie Rowe:

"The new Redcliffe Station on the Airport Line will provide yet another public transport option for people living in the Belmont electorate.

"While the changes will improve the frequency and availability of services, it's important the community takes the time to understand what the new bus network will mean for them."

Comments attributed to Kalamunda MLA Matthew Hughes:

"The changes to the bus routes will ensure people living in Kalamunda and surrounds can access the new Airport Line.

"For people in our community that rely heavily on public transport, these changes will mean more public transport options, more often - delivering better access and connection to other parts of our city."

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”