240v solar generator

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
ange2e

240v solar generator

Post by ange2e »

Hi I am 3/4 finished a bus/tiny house motorhome. My 79 yr old Dad was an electrician and has wired the bus 240v even though i kept saying i wanted to run on solar eventually. I gave him a book but he did't read it and just did what he knows....which i am grateful for as I am not great with technical things, but its not what i had envisaged.
I am going to live in my Bus and have health and kitchen appliances that are 240v, so always knew i would need an inverted etc with solar system.
At a later date i could have a 12v circuit put in by somebody else to run all lights and suitable appliances but for the moment i have 240v for everything(currently lights are 36v led's, co would have to be replaced with 12v) ...
I could run a generator when i dont have Mains power but was wondering if there is a solar system that powers a 240v generator eliminating the need for petrol? and allowing me to leave bus wired at 240v plus haveing solar work efficiently.
I would like to be Off Grid...not necessarily living in the bush just independent.
I will post a link to pinterest pics . Please note bus is designed to only be moved now and then ....ie not as light as it could be for touring.
https://www.pinterest.com/angela0877/my ... onversion/
Thanks in advance.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Re: 240v solar generator

Post by adx666 »

Looks great, sorry I have no info that could assist you but well done on what you have achieved so far
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
simonl

Post by simonl »

I'm sure you can have a solar panel charging a battery which then powers an inverter. Are there complexities I'm missing?
ange2e

Post by ange2e »

HI Simon,Yes, I can have an invertor but i have bee told it would be extremely inefficient....but if someone has another opinion and thinks it is still the best route at this stage???
simonl

Post by simonl »

Is this dependant on the voltage?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

A solar generator is not going to be much use at night?

If you just google the subject, there hould be some info available.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Will if it's backed by a battery. That is how buoys are lit.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

But I doubt the lights on buoys run at 240v.

You would need a lot of batteries to keep a selection of 240v appliances running. The more I read his post, the more confused I am at what he is trying to achieve.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ange2e

Post by ange2e »

HI again Simon, Yes it is dependent on Voltage as the whole thing is 240v but i would love to be off grid eventually. Looking for a solution.
enzomatrix

Post by enzomatrix »

Hi all,
I know this is a really old post, but it is current for my position :)

My bus is being turned into a video game bus, which is going to need 240v throughout the vechicle (for game consoles, TV's, etc). I had solar and a battery/inverter system installed at my home yesterday, which made me think that it should be simple enough to do on the bus, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to even start - anyone got any ideas or references they can point me to?

The solution I guess I am requiring:
- The bus will have some solar panels
- The bus will have some batteries
- The bus will have an/some inverters
- The bus can run off batteries / solar
- The bus can be plugged in to a power point to charge batteries
- The bus can be plugged in to a power point to run the 240v devices

Any guidance or direction towards videos/articles/images would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”