Parlorcars:The original company.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

Parlorcars:The original company.

Post by Denv12 »

I've started this photo post because there are some photos of their coaches turned up on the forum.I thought there should be a devoted post to this company.If you have photos and information please add to this topic.

In the mid 1960s on Port Road Woodville or Woodville Park,SA,there was service station and workshop run/owned by Arthur Lee,who used to service the Parlorcars coaches.On a number of occasions my now late father,Jack Sellick and I would visit Arthur and he would show us the Parlorcars coaches,including the Freight Lawton Sted Deck/deck & a half with the sylight windows in the roof.Arthur later moved to the Ampol on Port Road,Alberton.

Where were their depots?

Not to be confused with the former Perth based coach tour company bought by Max Winkless in 1985.

Just found this link here:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... es#p461697
Attachments
If you know what make these is please let me know.
If you know what make these is please let me know.
6.239 (756 x 482).jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 27897 times
Last edited by Denv12 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: Palorcars:The original company.

Post by Guy_Arab »

Denv12 wrote:I've started this photo post because there are some photos of their coaches turned up on the forum.I thought there should be a devoted post to this company.If you have photos and information please add to this topic.

In the mid 1960s on Port Road Woodville or Woodville Park,SA,there was service station and workshop run/owned by Arthur Lee,who used to service the Parlorcars coaches.On a number of occasions my now late father,Jack Sellick and I would visit Arthur and he would show us the Parlorcars coaches,including the Freight Lawton Sted Deck/deck & a half with the sylight windows in the roof.Arthur later moved to the Ampol on Port Road,Alberton.

Not to be confused with the former Perth based coach tour company bought by Max Winkless in 1985.
I did some driving with Pappy Withers in Melbourne an Sydney. in 1969 I transfered to Perth. about 1972 I started with Perth Parlorcars Good old drivers like Dick Hood Joe Turnball on the south West Tours
Guy Arab
Last edited by Guy_Arab on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Guy_Arab wrote:
Denv12 wrote:I've started this photo post because there are some photos of their coaches turned up on the forum.I thought there should be a devoted post to this company.If you have photos and information please add to this topic.

I did some driving with Pappy Withers in Melbourne an Sydney. in 1969 I transfered to Perth. about 1972 I started with Perth Parlorcars Good old drivers like Dick Hood Fred Turnball on the south West Tours
Guy Arab
Thanks for sharing.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I have seen somewhere a photo of a very early Frieghter body somwhere in WA with a about 12 seater dingy tied to the roof rack.

Told it was used on erly tour up north from Perth to do thier own river trips.

Would that be correct.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

The coach in the photo is an Ansair bodied White from 1949. Three were delivered to Parlorcars of this design around this time. Can't be more specific than that.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

Just a small anecdote, as I have no photos, I can recall in the late 1950's Parlorcars coaches parking at the original Redline back yard depot in Coorparoo, Brisbane.

This was in line with a reciprocal arrangement Rex Law had obviously made with Pappy Withers, particularly as Redline's tour network had yet to expand to Melbourne.

These were invariably Freighter bodied AEC's with "Sky-Sighter" windows.

I must admit to being most impressed by the smart uniforms worn by the Withers 2 man crews, comprising driver and 'courier.'

These outfits incorporated dark coloured reefer jackets with the kingfisher logo (as on the coaches) on the breast pocket.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I shall be following this post with interest, although I don't have anything to add at this time. I'm researching passenger road transport history in, to and through the Blue Mountains (NSW) which also covers the tourism industry up here. Earlier last year I came across a couple of photographs at the State Library NSW of Kanimbla Parlorcars vehicles - a Bedford SB TV 204 and an AEC TV 422 which caught me by surprise as I knew nothing about this operation. Unfortunately I totally bombed my attempt at photographing the photo's and I'll have a go again sometime in the near future after better training beforehand in using my camera. Here's my poor quality attempt, but it gives an idea of the appearance of the AEC TV 422. I'd be interested to know about their operations in NSW how they started and ended, but we'll eventually get there I'm sure. Kanimbla of course is the name of a valley off Medlow Bath up here which is what caught my attention.
embarassing photo.jpg
embarassing photo.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 27774 times
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
system improver

Reg Ansett purchased Pioneer Tourist Coaches (specifically the name, the licences and the goodwill) from Pappy Withers in 1944. Part of the deal was that Withers could not operate outside Victoria until 1959, as it turned out, 4 years after the restrictions on express services between capital cities were lifted. In 1960, Withers began an interstate expansion program and purchased Kanimbla Tours in NSW (licences and vehicles). This included a number of Watt bodied Bedford SB3s.

Here is a John Masterton photo from early 1967:
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Thank goodness for another informative thread on ATDB! I too shall be following it with great interest. Naturally, I'd be interested to learn about the WA operation's origins and ownership. I recall reading that there was a connection with the former owners of the Midland Railways Co, perhaps drivers and / or management of the road services arm after the company was absorbed into the WAGR in August 1964. I haven't been able to verify that information, however.

As a pedantic aside, I've always felt it unfortunate that the Americanised "parlor" was used here in Australia.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

MTT384 wrote:Thank goodness for another informative thread on ATDB! I too shall be following it with great interest. Naturally, I'd be interested to learn about the WA operation's origins and ownership. I recall reading that there was a connection with the former owners of the Midland Railways Co, perhaps drivers and / or management of the road services arm after the company was absorbed into the WAGR in August 1964. I haven't been able to verify that information, however.

As a pedantic aside, I've always felt it unfortunate that the Americanised "parlor" was used here in Australia.
While driving with Parlocars . One of Midland Railway Coach drivers was transfered to Beam Bus thence to Parlocars Through a connect with Depot Master of Redcliffe MTT who was owner of Kalamunder Bus
Guy Arab
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

I found this picture of a Parlorcars coach that might interest you.Picture from the Ken Magor collection.
Attachments
PARLORCARS HSP-026
PARLORCARS HSP-026
Last edited by Bedford-29 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
system improver

According to The People Movers, the WA Parlorcars operation was set up in 1964 by Pappy Withers as Parlorcars Interstate Tours (WA) with Jack Norman as managing partner. It is possible that he assumed full control when Doug Barnes bought the ailing Parlorcars business in 1967.
Industry

Post by Industry »

It appears that Parlorcars published a book on the Wildflowers of WA which was sold in bookshops and possilbly given away on Wildflower Tours
around the world a number of book shops are still selling copies
Book Details
•A GUIDE TO 101 WILDFLOWERS OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA by Anonymous
• Bookseller: Watkins Natural History Books (US)
•Bookseller Inventory #: 011946
•Title: A GUIDE TO 101 WILDFLOWERS OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
•Author: Anonymous
•Illustrator: Color Photos
•Format/binding: Soft cover
•Book condition: Very Good
•Quantity available: 1
•Edition: 1st Edition.
•Binding: Paperback
•Publisher: Parlorcars Tours W.A. Pty. Ltd.
•Keywords: botany, wildflowers, Wild Flowers, australia, Natural Hi
Industry

Post by Industry »

Found a second Book on Parlorcars WA

Title

Western Australia Parlorcars 1979

Author

Parlorcars Tours W.A.

Publisher

Parlorcars, 1979

Length

15 pages
Attachments
no_cover_thumb.gif
no_cover_thumb.gif (2.1 KiB) Viewed 27622 times
Industry

Post by Industry »

Timetables for Express in 1967

PARLORCARS EXPRESS

Date Route(s) Notes
11 December 1967 Adelaide - Melbourne
Melbourne - Sydney

Sydney - Brisbane
Gold cover with colour photo of (70) TV 500 AEC / Freighter. 23 cm.
Industry

Post by Industry »

BusNSW History

It was on January 12, 1942 that bus operator Roy Corrigan was provided with a desk in what was then the premises of Reo Motors in William Street, Sydney and he was handed a list of 50 names of people to be contacted. His brief was to get the newly formed NSW Omnibus Proprietors’ Association up and running. He had just been appointed Association Secretary. Six years previously, Roy had established a service car and taxi operation between Berowra and Berowra Waters; he later acquired the Hornsby-Galston-Arcadia bus service.

For the ten years prior to that January day in 1942 the interests of private bus operators had been catered for by the Feeder Bus Owner’s Association. But membership had begun to decline due to the difficulties being experienced by operators as World War 11 tightened its grip. It was decided to revitalize the association, change its name from the Feeder Bus Owners Association to the NSW Omnibus Proprietors’ Association and expand its membership throughout the State. The State was to be divided into districts, with branches at Newcastle, Gosford, Katoomba and Wollongong. Metropolitan branches were to be established at Parramatta, Liverpool, Hurstville and North Sydney. Later other branches were to be formed at Lismore, Grafton, Broken Hill, Wagga Wagga, Cowra and Nowra. Brian LeQuesne was elected president, and Roy Corrigan was chosen to look after the administrative side.

NSW Bus Proprietors Association outside the original premises of Challis House Martin Place.
Roy Corrigan ( first secretary ) and Brian Le Quense ( first president ) are in the front row centre. Undated but early 1940’s.

Soon after it was formed one of the first actions taken by the NSW Omnibus Proprietors’ Association was the registration of the association as an industrial union of employers in the State Arbitration Court. One of the main functions over the years has been dealing with matters in the industrial field. As the nation settled into the post war period the NSWOPA found itself involved in not only industrial matters but in court proceedings opposing the infiltration by the then Department of Government Transport services over routes operated by members. An early campaign was for the abolition of conductors and the introduction of one man buses. Over 50 cases of prosecutions for not providing conductors were defended by the association on behalf of members before the regulations were changed. The Government funded school bus system was negotiated for Country NSW in 1966. From this point on membership of the Association increased as Country Operators became aware of the Association and the benefit of belonging to an Association that, represented their interests. Roy Corrigan retired as Secretary in 1969 and he was replaced by George Gourley.

George had served with the Motor Omnibus Division of the NSW Department of Road Transport and Tramways prior to World War 11. After the war George gained experience as a Bus Operator with Kogarah Bus Company and in the 1960s with Doug Barnes at Barnes Bus Lines, Panther Bus Lines and Parlorcars in Melbourne. On his return to Sydney in 1968 George Gourley was appointed Assistant to Roy Corrigan. Late in 1968, the Association’s office moved from Challis House, Martin Place in Sydney to 323 Church Street, Parramatta. Throughout 1968 George Gourley spearheaded the drive to set up Association Branches throughout Country NSW. Many a country branch meeting took place in a school bus prior to school coming out in the afternoon. In 1970, the name of the Association was changed to that of the Bus Proprietor’s Association (NSW). In 1971 we organised our first BPA Bus Show, it was a one day event held at Fairfield showground. 1972 was a landmark year for our Association; we acquired our present premises at 27 Villiers Street, North Parramatta and the first Executive Meeting to be held at 27 Villiers Street was under the Chairmanship of President Jim Newport on 18 January 1973.

The Association has actively promoted the Private Bus Industry of NSW since 1942 and has represented the industry at all government inquiries including the Curlewis Inquiry 1973; the Russell Report 1983 and the Public Accounts Committee Inquiry 1992. In 1979 the BPA (NSW) became a Foundation Member of the Australian Bus and Coach Association and has assumed the secretariat responsibilities of ABCA, (now BIC – Bus Industry Confederation). The Association again changed its name on 26 August 1980 to the Bus and Coach Association (NSW) to more adequately indicate the scope of its activities and elevated the position of General Secretary to that of Executive Director. George Gourley retired from the Association in 1981 and was succeeded by Andrew Burston, Colin Fryer, Neville Gazzard, David Meidling, Alan Cooper, Barrie Macdonald, the incumbant since 1999 is Darryl Mellish. Subsequent to George Gourley’s death in 1990, BCA (NSW) named the Association’s premises "Gourley House" as a tribute to his work and dedication to our industry. The Association is a strong and willing association that is more than prepared to meet its obligations and to promote the private bus industry. The strength and willingness to work flows from the structure of the Association – the Executive are all practicing bus operators and all decisions are made by busmen. The growth of the Association can be directly attributed to the stature of its Presidents.

Brian LeQuesne (dec) 7 times President 1942-1961

J W (Rab) Lewis 1946

F J (Jack) Spellacy 5 times President 1951-1962

R (Bob) Hertogs (dec) 1954

F L D (Des) Kennedy 1963-1970

J H (Jim) Newport 1971-1972

Geoff Dewey 1973-1976

Ron Treuer 1977-1979

A R (Tony) Royle 1980-1982

S J J (Jim) Bosnjak 1983-2000

Keith Todd 2001-2002

Peter Threlkeld 2003-2006

Stephen Rowe 2007-2010

Frank D'Apuzzo 2011

Each and every President has had more than their share of industry problems to sort out. Our Association has been in the vanguard of change from the early days of fighting to protect their services from the infiltration of Government buses to initiating changes in legislation such as the removal of conductors from buses to many, many negotiations on award variations in the NSW Industrial Commission to the negotiations with Government on concession fares, bus specifications and the School Student Transport Scheme. Perhaps the greatest task of all throughout the years, was the challenge of the Passenger Transport Act 1990. Here is an Act of Parliament that recognised the Private Bus Industry; an Act that replaced the Transport Act 1930 which was proclaimed in order to take private buses off the road. The Bus and Coach Association (NSW) has earnt it stripes over the years and is in a strong and healthy position to face the challenges of the 21st Century.
system improver

In the early 70s, the Perth depot was in Barrack Street. Here is a Denning posed in a park (maybe Kings Park):
Industry

Re: Parlorcars:The original company.

Post by Industry »

Just found a copy of a advertisement for 1954
Attachments
f3.jpg
f3.jpg (75.24 KiB) Viewed 27550 times
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Here are some snippets I picked up from browsing T & B.T.:
T&BT March 1967. rear of Bedford SB Comair fleet No 68 - TV514 featured in article on stick on logos.
T&BT March 1967. rear of Bedford SB Comair fleet No 68 - TV514 featured in article on stick on logos.
Parlorcars.1.jpg (101.48 KiB) Viewed 27371 times
T&BT March 1967 - advertisement for Freighter/Hino combination featuring Parlorcars vehicle.
T&BT March 1967 - advertisement for Freighter/Hino combination featuring Parlorcars vehicle.
Parlorcars.2.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 27371 times
T&BT October 1967 - article on the split up of Parlorcars.
T&BT October 1967 - article on the split up of Parlorcars.
Parlorcars.3.jpg (122.09 KiB) Viewed 27371 times
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Centralian wrote:Here are some snippets I picked up from browsing T & B.T.:
Parlorcars.1.jpg
Parlorcars.2.jpg
Parlorcars.3.jpg
There's some great history there.Thank you.
You could start a post on Deanes,etc.
VIKing

Post by VIKing »

Did all oif the chages as reported in the Truck and Bus article actually take place ?
Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

VIKing wrote:Did all oif the chages as reported in the Truck and Bus article actually take place ?
A piont of interest Parlorcars mananger in 1970s was Trevor Pollard one of the Directores was also on the MTT Board
Guy Arab old Driver
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

system improver wrote:In the early 70s, the Perth depot was in Barrack Street. Here is a Denning posed in a park (maybe Kings Park):
I've just realised, as Redline's Perth passenger depot/sales office was at 68 Barrack Street, it's likely that Parlorcars moved in after Redline vacated the premises in 1970.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

As Herbert noted way back on January 12, 2014 in this thread - where have all the informative threads that once appeared on ATDB gone ?
Facebook I suspect, which not everyone chooses to use. The history people were prepared to share made this a unique place to visit, all in one location.
Just some nostalgia about sharing nostalgia. :(
David10

Post by David10 »

While there will always be a turnover of contributors, and unfortunately some of the well known sources of this historical information are no longer with us, that both the number of posts and those making them fell of a cliff in a fairly short period of time (at least in the NSW section), seemed to coincide a few know-it-all keyboard warriors (who were not as knowledgeable as they would have us believe) insisting on shouting down those that actually have more of an idea. Degenerated into the same warriors laboring the same points...all very boring. :roll:

One by one those who actually had the knowledge seemingly grew weary and decided to move on. A more heavy handed approach by the board's administrators to nip it in the bud may have helped, bus alas it didn't happen. Sadly the days of this board being a forum for the exchange of interesting historical information appear to be largely over. :(

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”