Inner West Light Rail observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

Re: Inner West Light Rail observations

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

matthewg wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:14 am
Swift wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:08 am 48 pages for poorly chosen vehicles for the job.
the payments to Alstom for taking 'spares' out of the L2/L3 operations pool to run the interim service,
Was this really a thing? Eesh, pretty significant
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:52 pm
matthewg wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:14 am
the payments to Alstom for taking 'spares' out of the L2/L3 operations pool to run the interim service,
You can bet they didn't do it 'for free'. Risk a penalty for not having enough Citadis to run contracted L2/L3 services due to the spares being 'otherwise engaged'. There would have been an 'arrangement'.

Several citadis were already out of service due to accident damage, so they would have been watching fleet utilization carefully.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2022/far ... ail-to-end
Fare discount for L1 Dulwich Hill Line light rail to end
Friday 16 December 2022

A 30 per cent fare discount has been applied to L1 light rail services since 12 February 2022 due to the vehicles being grounded for safety reasons. When limited services resumed on the L1 line, fares were discounted by 30% for light rail and supplementary service replacement buses.

With the planned return to full-service frequencies, this discount is no longer required and light rail fares on the L1 Dulwich Hill line will return to normal levels on Monday 19 December 2022.

This applies to all fares, including Adult, Child/Youth, Concessions, Gold/Senior Pensioner and Single Trip fares. 
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

How will they get this info out to the hordes though?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Oops I lost the link out of the post. It is now there and of course it will show in the trip finder.
Living in the Shire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Any news on the F10 ferry? This was put in place, purportedly to serve Glebe residents during the light rail disruptions, and has suffered from the really stupid decision not to stop in Pyrmont (even though it goes right past the wharf at Pirrama Rd near Harris St), and has been cancelled a lot lately. I think it should remain in place currently, as it does serve some Glebe residents who wish to travel to the King St Wharf/Barangaroo area, but the missing stop needs to be fixed up - despite MP's complaining about it, no explanation has been proffered for why the stop was deleted and why it can't be reinstated. Adding the stop would only add about 2 minutes to the travel time and would double the catchment area to include northern Pyrmont.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

F10 needs to be incorporated into the Opal network and be made permanent. I really don’t know what they’re waiting for
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

SHOCK!.....I had been planning group travel and assumed it was "Opalised".
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

It’s not.

I caught it one recent Friday from Glebe to Barangaroo. Very scenic and nice route. However midway through the trip to my dismay, a crew member came around with an Eftpos machine to collect a full one-way adult ferry fare from everyone… as someone who had already reached the $50 weekly mark cap, on my same debit card no less, i was not happy…

I don’t mean to be that guy, but honestly won’t ride it again until it’s Opal ready. Which, if it’s made permanent, it should be.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

jpp42 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:06 am Any news on the F10 ferry?
Local MP has confirmed on Facebook that it will remain: https://www.facebook.com/GreensJamiePar ... 5880888899
He's only been talking about an extension to Annandale, not aware of any plans to add a stop in Pyrmont. I guess it makes sense though, and with the size of the ferry, it shouldn't be very hard to add stops as the wharf doesn't need to be massive.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Noticed a Citadis operating as late as 21:30 last night. I saw it at the the bottom of the outbound ramp, and at the same time there was a CAF waiting to depart at the Central stop..
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

boronia wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:43 pm Noticed a Citadis operating as late as 21:30 last night. I saw it at the the bottom of the outbound ramp, and at the same time there was a CAF waiting to depart at the Central stop..
In passenger service?

How interesting. As of now I thought the Citadis’ on L1 were only to be used when needed during peak hours when the frequency of the line demands them - or actually - shouldn’t there be enough CAFs for a full service now?
boronia

Post by boronia »

That's what I thought too.

I was in a bus coming up the ramp to drop off, so I didn't get a chance to observe much, other than its presence there. The fact that there was another tram waiting did subsequently make me wonder if it wasn't a regular service.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Citadis 04 was on L1 this afternoon.
I watched it coming inbound along Hay St, and it got a white T light to cross George St while there was still an outbound L2/3 service in the crossing.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

matthewg wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:01 am
Jurassic_Joke wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:52 pm

You can bet they didn't do it 'for free'. Risk a penalty for not having enough Citadis to run contracted L2/L3 services due to the spares being 'otherwise engaged'. There would have been an 'arrangement'.

Several citadis were already out of service due to accident damage, so they would have been watching fleet utilization carefully.
So in other words, the Citadis’ on L1 are essentially ‘leased’ to the line.

In that case, why are they still operating on L1 considering all the CAFs have been repaired?
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:40 pm
So in other words, the Citadis’ on L1 are essentially ‘leased’ to the line.

In that case, why are they still operating on L1 considering all the CAFs have been repaired?
Has anyone managed to confirm all the CAF cars are back in service yet ?.

The full repairs to the CAF cars do take a lot of time - I was in Birmingham in late September and Midland Metro still has half their cars out of service, 6 months after they started returning to service (still running a reduced emergency timetable). While they do have a LOT more cars to fix, the rate at which they are being fixed appears to be quite slow.

Also, remember 4 more cars are on order for the line. TfNSW may decide to bring the 'enhanced' service in earlier using Citadis to make up the numbers and hope the Citadis availability is up to having some CESLR cars missing.

I gather though from murmurings from the inside that this isn't the case, and Randwick is short of cars for operations, too many cars are out of service waiting parts.

Having parts trouble or something with the APS too - last night I went QVB to the Quay and the battery backup kicked in 4 times during the trip. That's 4 dead APS switch boxes. My last two trips (over a couple of months) were the same, this isn't a short-term issue. I can only assume replacement APS switches are slow to land too.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Caf unit 2119 on the L1 has a pair of double doors out of service, leaving only the two single-leaf and one remaining double door set in service on the outer side (all stops except Lilyfield). Will be interesting later today at places like Paddy's Market where the trams are often at crush loads on weekends.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There was still Citadis on L1 earlier last week, don't know how many though.

At least one of the new CAFs has arrived.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Interesting, any photos of the new CAF?
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

boronia wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:15 am There was still Citadis on L1 earlier last week, don't know how many though.
In my unscientific estimation, in peak they are still quite frequent, maybe 1 out of 3 trams are Citadis.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Killing a bit of time around Central this afternoon, I wandered around to the L1 stop.

A CAF set is waiting, PID says departing in 7 minutes. Seems a long layover, so I hang around to see what happens. Sure enough, it departs while the PID is showing 5 minutes to go.

There are a couple of young female "information" girls at the stop, so I ask why the tram left 5 minutes early, pointing to the PID? "Oh, it has just reset for the next service". When I point out that I had been watching the countdown for at least 2 minutes before, and the service runs every 10 minutes, how come it shows the next one in 5? "Oh, that one was running late". So it was running late, but the driver was out of the cab chatting to you for a couple of minutes before it left? They shrug shoulders and walk away.

I wonder if Transdev condones its staff lying to passengers? I asked that in feedback.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Three questions and you're out!
Swift

Post by Swift »

Australian level of professionalism.ie: non.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Remember, the customer is at the centre of everything TfNSW and TfNSW contractors do.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hahahahaha funny.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”