CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Re: CBD & South East Light Rail

Post by pgt »

boronia wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:20 pm They could run them down Elizabeth St.

But the 343 covers this section, the 320 part of it. Both stop close to Chalmers St LR. I don't know why these are not offered as alternatives.

Most L3 passengers can catch the 396 to/from CQ without the need to change. Most L2 passengers could use the 373 to/from Oxford St connecting with the 333 to /from CQ.
I'm having deja-vu with this comment here...
One could also take the train as well, and when you think about it, most of the stops that a replacement bus or the train can serve in lieu of the light rail are also covered by a train or by walking.
Elizabeth St itself isn't exactly as close to George St as say the train lines from Central through Town Hall to Wynyard and Circular Quay are to the light rail line itself, remembering mobility impaired passengers aren't as likely to choose an Elizabeth St bus to get to say the QVB than the train.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Not everybody wants to go to George St or the QVB.

The bus services are just another method to get from Central to the CBD and CQ, and it seems disappointing they are not mentioned.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

boronia wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:47 pm Not everybody wants to go to George St or the QVB.

The bus services are just another method to get from Central to the CBD and CQ, and it seems disappointing they are not mentioned.
But in the context of replacement buses (which is what was being referred to) you'd ordinarily have them as close to the closed stop as possible.
Yes not everybody's final destination is going to be a light rail stop - but then again you may well have not used the light rail in the first place depending on your actual final destination.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

MOORE PARK STAIRS - PONDING
After years of complaints, the ponding of rainwater on every one of the stairways has finally been fixed - we hope.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Just saw a video of London's Croydon light rail in 2000.
I call it the bionic tram (compared to this one). Faster, better stronger...

https://youtu.be/Ld9FxZ6IXjU
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Had two tram rides today and on both, the doors were set for passenger activation. Didn't notice it yesterday.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

For Clover Moore's latest newsletter:
Help secure a light rail stop at Wimbo Park!

There is currently only one stop between Central Station and Moore Park in Surry Hills – help us change that!

We have been calling on the State Government for years to deliver on their promise of a second stop at the corner of Devonshire and Bourke Streets.

We are about to spend millions upgrading Wimbo Park (see the artist’s image of the park above!) and we’ve made sure the designs will accommodate a stop. So, now’s the time for the Government to lock it in.

Sign the petition today: light rail stop at Wimbo Park!
https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/la/Pa ... sB8nJ1KHBA
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

boronia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:57 pm Had two tram rides today and on both, the doors were set for passenger activation. Didn't notice it yesterday.
Was this at one of the terminus stops? They might have figured out by now in this very windy and cold snap we’ve had it really doesn’t make sense to leave all six (twelve) double doors open for the entire dwell period, it’s really not comfortable

Hopefully pax weren’t too confused about the flashing green button
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I was on one last night and the driver made an announcement after leaving Central (heading towards Randwick) that the doors would be passenger activated to help with energy efficiency. Not sure if for passenger comfort, driver preference or perhaps related to the current broader energy issues occurring across the state (it was around peak energy demand time).
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Mr OC Benz wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:20 pm I was on one last night and the driver made an announcement after leaving Central (heading towards Randwick) that the doors would be passenger activated to help with energy efficiency. Not sure if for passenger comfort, driver preference or perhaps related to the current broader energy issues occurring across the state (it was around peak energy demand time).
Can’t say for sure if it’s to do with the current energy crisis but at least they’re acknowledging opening all doors at each stop no matter how quiet it is (especially at night as per your trip), is a massive waste of power. I didn’t take L2 or 3 yesterday but did take L1 and doors were being opened automatically as normal.

I walked past Chinatown stop a little while ago and doors were all being opened automatically. If they were to consider permanently bring back passenger activated doors, then it would need to be across L1 as well to make it consistent
boronia

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:51 pm
boronia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:57 pm Had two tram rides today and on both, the doors were set for passenger activation. Didn't notice it yesterday.
Was this at one of the terminus stops? They might have figured out by now in this very windy and cold snap we’ve had it really doesn’t make sense to leave all six (twelve) double doors open for the entire dwell period, it’s really not comfortable

No, it was all stops. Might take a while to get passengers used to the concept again. They could at least put some signs on the doors
to notify passengers.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:51 pm Was this at one of the terminus stops? They might have figured out by now in this very windy and cold snap we’ve had it really doesn’t make sense to leave all six (twelve) double doors open for the entire dwell period, it’s really not comfortable

No, it was all stops. Might take a while to get passengers used to the concept again. They could at least put some signs on the doors
to notify passengers.

When you see energy being wasted in other areas, it does make you wonder how much is actually saved over such a short period of time?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

boronia wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:08 pm
Jurassic_Joke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:51 pm Was this at one of the terminus stops? They might have figured out by now in this very windy and cold snap we’ve had it really doesn’t make sense to leave all six (twelve) double doors open for the entire dwell period, it’s really not comfortable

to notify passengers.

When you see energy being wasted in other areas, it does make you wonder how much is actually saved over such a short period of time?
Hmm I caught L2 a little earlier tonight and doors were all being opened automatically again as usual and was the same for other trams we passed. I wonder what changed?

Over a short period of time the savings would be smaller but over the longer term I think it would add up
Swift

Post by Swift »

Leave the morons behind if they're too stupid to figure out what a flashing button means.
I'm tired of the shenanigans of the Sydney public. Use your brains!
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:54 am Leave the morons behind if they're too stupid to figure out what a flashing button means.
Somebody complained to Transport For NSW about the tram doors being closed when they are supposed to be open witch means people won't ether adapt to the idea of pressing a button to open the doors to access the tram or they think a closed door means that the car is out of order like what happens on the train network whenever they block off a train car
Swift

Post by Swift »

Professional complainers Sydney animals are.
Let them adapt it perish like animals.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Whichever system they choose, it needs to be consistent across the fleet.

People are creatures of habit, they don't usually go looking to see if things are different today than they were last time they used something.

When the doors are operated by the driver, the green light flashes for a couple of seconds before the doors open. People go to press it, but it opens before they get there.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:56 am
Swift wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:54 am Leave the morons behind if they're too stupid to figure out what a flashing button means.
Somebody complained to Transport For NSW about the tram doors being closed when they are supposed to be open
Is that true or an urban myth?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:56 am Somebody complained to Transport For NSW about the tram doors being closed when they are supposed to be open
TfNSW are the international chanmpions in closed doors that should open. Just ride any Sydney bus.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

The only reservation I might have about the Citadis passenger-activated doors mode, is that the doors close far too quickly by themselves - the door will start to close literally one second after no movement is detected through the doorway, which probably isn’t good for the elderly - but I’m sure they could re-engineer it to a slightly longer wait time if that’s the concern?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Update - PIDs on the platform and inside the tram are now telling passengers to press the door buttons to open the doors on L1, L2 and L3, but it still seems to be the drivers discretion.

The tram service I caught a little earlier had doors set for passenger activation but other trams I passed still had automatic doors. I’m all for this staying, but they should also then do it on the L1’s Urbos trams when they come back to keep it consistent
boronia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:01 pm For Clover Moore's latest newsletter:
Help secure a light rail stop at Wimbo Park!

There is currently only one stop between Central Station and Moore Park in Surry Hills – help us change that!

We have been calling on the State Government for years to deliver on their promise of a second stop at the corner of Devonshire and Bourke Streets.

We are about to spend millions upgrading Wimbo Park (see the artist’s image of the park above!) and we’ve made sure the designs will accommodate a stop. So, now’s the time for the Government to lock it in.

Sign the petition today: light rail stop at Wimbo Park!
https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/la/Pa ... sB8nJ1KHBA
Just want to reply this before it gets buried, but not in favour. It’s too close in walking distance to Surry Hills LR, and no clear benefit (unlike say QVB being far too close to Town Hall but having the bus interchange direct opposite). It would add journey time to the line (might be all the difference if you miss your train at central) and would disadvantage everyone else going to/from the Southeast.

Wimbo Park is better served by bus or by you know, walking from Surry Hills LR (or the 304’s nearby stop) in my opinion
Swift

Post by Swift »

Sounds like she's appeasing mates. Her MO I'm sure. Special interest groups her specialty.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:44 pm

Just want to reply this before it gets buried, but not in favour. It’s too close in walking distance to Surry Hills LR, and no clear benefit (unlike say QVB being far too close to Town Hall but having the bus interchange direct opposite). It would add journey time to the line (might be all the difference if you miss your train at central) and would disadvantage everyone else going to/from the Southeast.

Wimbo Park is better served by bus or by you know, walking from Surry Hills LR (or the 304’s nearby stop) in my opinion
It is only going to add 30-40 seconds to the trip time. Trams can spend more time than this at traffic lights along Devonshire St. Anyone who travels with a 40 second transfer margin at Central is really pushing their luck.

But I agree it is unnecessary. Remember back when the route was first announced, there was all this opposition from Surry Hills residents to the line being in Devonshire St? They didn't want it then, they don't need it now. Karma.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:39 pm .
But I agree it is unnecessary. Remember back when the route was first announced, there was all this opposition from Surry Hills residents to the line being in Devonshire St? They didn't want it then, they don't need it now. Karma.
Yes, lead by that toff with the pretentious faux aristocrat hyphenated name who hadn't even been living there long.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

tonyp wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:19 pm TfNSW are the international chanmpions in closed doors that should open. Just ride any Sydney bus.
There are a lot of drivers in western Sydney that won't even open the centre door for passengers to alight the bus

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”