CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by boronia »

Just put up a 2 metre high fence along the tracks, with a couple of gates mid block, and a Council ranger to open and close them.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

OHW installation is well underway from Kingsford as far as UNSW, with preliminary work further up towards Todman Ave.

But 15 months after the first concrete was poured, the Kensington stop is still not completed; the ES Marks stop even further behind.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Kingsford substation has just been energised according to TfNSW.

Also:
https://www.metro-report.com/news/singl ... w.facebook
boronia

Post by boronia »

Handy when there isn't much OHW up yet.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The latest CSELR newsletter from TfNSW says that there are now 39 trams stabled at Randwick, more to be delivered in coming weeks and the last of the fleet on the production line now with the final one coming off the assembly line soon.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Traffic lights all ready for the first buses and trams to roll down the centre of Anzac Pde.
DSC03638 (Small).jpeg
DSC03638 (Small).jpeg (127.4 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
@ The Museum of Fire.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

Works OK there with cantilever arms. With regular poles it's a bit of a confusing mess:

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKe5JUWS30Q

I love the opening sequence where the traffic light cycle succeeded in creating a Great Wall of Tram across the emergency ambulance entrance to SCH, the very issue raised by some critics! If these light cycles in High St are an example of future tram priority, heaven help us.

Then there's the car driving in the tramway. It's going to be fun and games.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

boronia wrote:Handy when there isn't much OHW up yet.
There is STILL a lot of testing that can be done before opening that isolator that energises the overhead. The engineering team will now be doing the LIVE testing of the systems at the substation. They may even have a portable dummy load to test with.
By the time the first tram draws down on the sub, it will be fully tested and commissioned and they know that if there is a fault with the tram or the overhead, the substation 'protection' will operate properly.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

tonyp wrote:A new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKe5JUWS30Q

I love the opening sequence where the traffic light cycle succeeded in creating a Great Wall of Tram across the emergency ambulance entrance to SCH, the very issue raised by some critics! If these light cycles in High St are an example of future tram priority, heaven help us.

Then there's the car driving in the tramway. It's going to be fun and games.
Poor traffic light priority is a feature across the entire operational line at the moment. It's almost as if they have to wait for someone in the RMS control centre to manually clear the tram to proceed - even at Anzac Pde junction were they only share with buses. The trams have to stop and wait for the (not in day time use) bus route lights to cycle to red and then give proceed to the tram.

I assume there will be some 'robust' discussions in the Transport 'command and control' centre soon :-)

The roads people will almost certainly dig in and wage a protected war against automatic priority for the trams. They have managed to hold off general bus priority for years, they know how to stonewall.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote:
I assume there will be some 'robust' discussions in the Transport 'command and control' centre soon :-)

The roads people will almost certainly dig in and wage a protected war against automatic priority for the trams. They have managed to hold off general bus priority for years, they know how to stonewall.
They disbanded the Roads and Traffic Dictatorship (RTA)
in order to change the culture but you need to change the puppeteers as well as the name, something Old South Wales never learns it seems.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Well they did say they would work out priority and journey time through testing in coming months, just that there are not a lot of "coming months" left. I reiterate my advice that, based on closely identical precedents both in Europe and Australia, the end to end journey should take no more than 25 minutes via either branch. If they don't achieve that, TfNSW (both roads and public transport sides) is not doing something right. My wager is that TfNSW will not do something right.

At least, judging by that film, they've finally discovered the concept of acceleration - after more than twenty years - so that should help raise the average speed. Now all that remains is developing a better understanding of deceleration and dwell time.

In their latest news I believe that I read that they've finished erecting the overhead along the Kingsford branch.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

very stupid traffic lights around 8:10.

tram surges away from one light, has to slow right down for second light 100m along, surges away again.

standees just love that !
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Well, it's not a bus, it doesn't have to change gears up or down. Riding an electric vehicle is a much smoother experience. Nevertheless one would be hoping for better synchronisation and more even forward progress than this.
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: In their latest news I believe that I read that they've finished erecting the overhead along the Kingsford branch.
They are only just starting the section through Kensington, with a few pulleys hanging of the span arms/wires.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: They are only just starting the section through Kensington, with a few pulleys hanging of the span arms/wires.
I found the post. They're currently hanging the wires.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Swift wrote: They disbanded the Roads and Traffic Dictatorship (RTA)
in order to change the culture but you need to change the puppeteers as well as the name, something Old South Wales never learns it seems.
But everyone from the section managers down will be the same people. These restructures only knife the senior executive.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

tonyp wrote:Well they did say they would work out priority and journey time through testing in coming months, just that there are not a lot of "coming months" left.
I'm gonna take a gamble and say they're holding it off until the very last minute before they change traffic light sequencing for the trams. Because, you know, road bureaucrats... :roll:

I'm still hopeful that high traffic priority for the trams will be achieved. This is something that was promised last year (https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 5030l.html), and it's important that we continue to hound the right people in order to see this vital component of CSELR operations achieved. Because if there's no traffic light priority, then not only will the CSELR will be wasting its potential, but we will also be hearing you complain about it endlessly. And we certainly cannot have that now can we? :lol:
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

STOP THE PRESS! Confirmation from Sydney Light Rail's Facebook page today about the numbering for the new Citadis trams. The tram numbers will be between 2201-2260. You called it Matthew lol.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

So number 13 is not omitted this time?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Or number 4.

All they need are some type/class letters for each model, to emulate past practice.

A type: Vario's
B type: Urbos 3
C type: Urbos 10
D type: X05
E type: Newcastle Urbos 10
F type: Parramatta
@ The Museum of Fire.
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

STMPainter2018 wrote:STOP THE PRESS! Confirmation from Sydney Light Rail's Facebook page today about the numbering for the new Citadis trams. The tram numbers will be between 2201-2260. You called it Matthew lol.
For those curious:
Attachments
Screenshot SLR.JPG
Last edited by marcnut1996 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It's not up to Alstom to number the teams. They're assets owned by the state government. As for class designations, it's unlikely that they will do this, but if they do, the CAFs are basically variants of one class of tram.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

tonyp wrote:It's not up to Alstom to number the teams. They're assets owned by the state government.
Funny you mention this, because in past conversations with Sydney Light Rail, they've given the implication that it IS up to ALSTOM. They do provide the trams after all. Ask them for yourself. Maybe the contract does specify the provider is free to number them or something?
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 1.18.52 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 1.18.52 pm.png (79.39 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Last edited by STMPainter2018 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

marcnut1996 wrote:For those curious
It'd be wise for you to edit your comment and repost this attachment with the names of the FB commenters scribbled/censored out. It's a real violation of privacy. Especially because the one named "Michael", is ME! And I do not appreciate my name being shared on anonymous public forums like this without my consent thank you!
Last edited by STMPainter2018 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”