CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Passenger 57

Re: CBD & South East Light Rail

Post by Passenger 57 »

I'm trying to understand why they couldn't run services between the terminii and the nearest crossovers to the accident. Are they just slack or not able to walk and chew gum at the same time?'

Edit: Oh, reading back I see they were run to Central but why not service George St?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

You'd have to ask TfNSW or Transdev about that. For anyone needing to travel beyond the CBD, they'd still have to get from TH to Chalmers St, so better to use the "alternative means" the whole way.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

boronia wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:46 pm You'd have to ask TfNSW or Transdev about that.
I would but I wanted an answer from someone who understands how to operate a tram system.
For anyone needing to travel beyond the CBD, they'd still have to get from TH to Chalmers St, so better to use the "alternative means" the whole way.
The LR is more convenient for travel between CQ and TH but arguably not necessary given most of the stops are in the vicinity of train stations. Perhaps the fact that if offers limited added value to heavy rail means it is intentionally sacrificed when management are under extra pressure. Have we ever seen partitioned operation on any of the lines? Do they always amputate when there is problem that prevents end to end journeys?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Passenger 57 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:07 pm Have we ever seen partitioned operation on any of the lines? Do they always amputate when there is problem that prevents end to end journeys?
It happens here with train lines too. It's apparently too easy to just call out buses. If you ask anybody who operates an experienced legacy tram system, yes they will say that they have means of maintaining as much of the operation that they can around the break. This no doubt happens in Melbourne, but for the noobs it's just too much.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

tonyp wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:49 pm It happens here with train lines too. It's apparently too easy to just call out buses.
Got to get value out of those standby bus contracts! Otherwise people might start questioning their cost. I wonder if there is something in the metrics that makes a wider bustitution than strictly necessary preferable to the operator.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I would have thought that the standby bus contracts would cost a lot more if they are used than if they are NOT used.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Passenger 57 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:07 pm
boronia wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:46 pm You'd have to ask TfNSW or Transdev about that.
I would but I wanted an answer from someone who understands how to operate a tram system.
For anyone needing to travel beyond the CBD, they'd still have to get from TH to Chalmers St, so better to use the "alternative means" the whole way.
The LR is more convenient for travel between CQ and TH but arguably not necessary given most of the stops are in the vicinity of train stations. Perhaps the fact that if offers limited added value to heavy rail means it is intentionally sacrificed when management are under extra pressure. Have we ever seen partitioned operation on any of the lines? Do they always amputate when there is problem that prevents end to end journeys?
There is no text book way to "operate a tram system". Every operator would make up their own rules, depending on local circumstances. These rules may not make sense to others, but you have to learn to live with them.

Terminating inbound services at Central or TH is fairly common when ever there is maintenance or some event in the CBD. On occasions one or both of the branches has been closed with services operating outbound to only Moore Park and bus connections beyond.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:11 pm I would have thought that the standby bus contracts would cost a lot more if they are used than if they are NOT used.
If the buses are never needed the payments for the standby retainer are, in a sense, wasted. I'd imagine there would be some optimum level of usage. If usage dropped off both the retainer and usage charges would need to be increased. Ideally, redundant capacity could be used to improve service levels rather than having capital and perhaps labour sitting around idle.
boronia wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:35 pm There is no text book way to "operate a tram system". Every operator would make up their own rules, depending on local circumstances. These rules may not make sense to others, but you have to learn to live with them.
I come here to learn about best practice.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:11 pm I would have thought that the standby bus contracts would cost a lot more if they are used than if they are NOT used.
Are they paid anything if they are not used?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Passenger 57 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:36 pm I'm trying to understand why they couldn't run services between the terminii and the nearest crossovers to the accident. Are they just slack or not able to walk and chew gum at the same time?'

Edit: Oh, reading back I see they were run to Central but why not service George St?
If trams trapped on the City side of the accident ran between say Circular Quay and Chinatown would they generate enough charge under the catenary to run wire free for essentially half of each trip?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:26 am If trams trapped on the City side of the accident ran between say Circular Quay and Chinatown would they generate enough charge under the catenary to run wire free for essentially half of each trip?
They're powered from a third rail, not in-motion charging. It's just operational laziness that's led to this. No real service ethic.
Glen

Post by Glen »

tonyp wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:11 am
Glen wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:26 am If trams trapped on the City side of the accident ran between say Circular Quay and Chinatown would they generate enough charge under the catenary to run wire free for essentially half of each trip?
They're powered from a third rail, not in-motion charging. It's just operational laziness that's led to this. No real service ethic.
Good point. I was clearly on the wrong network!
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

SAT 17.9.22 - DOUBLE STADIUM WHAMMY

It might be interesting to observe light rail's handling of simultaneous departing and arriving crowds between 5pm & 8pm.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

lunchbox wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:36 am SAT 17.9.22 - DOUBLE STADIUM WHAMMY

It might be interesting to observe light rail's handling of simultaneous departing and arriving crowds between 5pm & 8pm.
Doubtless it will be just like this - everybody cleared out in an hour!

http://www.aptnsw.org.au/trams.html
Glen

Post by Glen »

Those were the days. Truly extraordinary numbers.

I've read that before but it's always worth reading again, if only to dream of what might have been.

I hope the NRMA is happy with what it achieved.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

SATURDAY DOUBLE WHAMMY - 17.9.22 - OBSERVATIONS
Between 5pm & 6pm, about every 4th inbound tram was terminating at Central, with full standing loads originating from Randwick Racecourse, and nobody wearing masks. Pedestrian contol at the north end ped. Xing at Moore Park appeared to function smoothly, using a controller on each side of the track, with a manual telescopic barrier.
The turn-out at the south end of platform 3 at Central appears to be spring-loaded to favour departing (southbound) trams. Arriving trams force the blades.
Last edited by lunchbox on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

tonyp wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:11 am
They do have traction batteries, but not enough range to do anything useful. The batteries appear to be intended to work past failed APS segments or get to the next stop in the event of traction power failure.

They could have worked a Circular Quay to Town Hall service and used the park street crossovers. They have enough battery capacity to shunt at Town hall with the overhead turned off if that section needed isolation.

But that would mean someone taking the initiative to approve non-standard working and issuing appropriate instructions to the crew on the ground.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Why oh why did those objectionable oafs shut down the legacy system?
Now we have this super slow, complicated expensive new system that continuously causes migrains to run properly. Got to love shitty Sydney. I never will.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

George street's car free zone extended to near Circular-Quay

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/geo ... 5bobk.html
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Makes you wonder what big business stands to benefit from this, with the state government chipping in.
They are not a government that would be motivated by the amenity of the city.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Swift wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:38 pm Makes you wonder what big business stands to benefit from this, with the state government chipping in.
They are not a government that would be motivated by the amenity of the city.
That end of the city has a lot of high end office real estate, which has suffered post-pandemic as workers want to stay working from home. I guess this is an attempt to make the city feel like a better place to work, and thus ease barriers to get workers back in the city and prop up rents. That's the most likely angle I can see.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

I assume that east-west road links crossing George St will be retained, such as Hunter-Margaret Sts and Bridge-Grosvenor Sts, similar to Park-Druitt Sts, Bathurst and Liverpool Sts.
grog

Post by grog »

Bridge/Grosvenor yes, no to the rest. Removing the doglegs will remove a big source of tram delays.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Clover also wants to extend the pedestrian zone south to Railway Square. Would mean bus routes 438X, 440 and 461X would cease using the stop adjacent to the light rail stop at Central.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Transtopic wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:58 pm I assume that east-west road links crossing George St will be retained, such as Hunter-Margaret Sts and Bridge-Grosvenor Sts, similar to Park-Druitt Sts, Bathurst and Liverpool Sts.
We have this itty bitty piece of infrastructure called the Cross City Tunnel. If self entitled motorists INSIST on driving around, they can use and pay for that and stay the H out of the city they have no business disrupting the flow of. A big fat KEEP OUT should be enforced. London can do it, so can we -if it was with the times.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”