detroit diesel fan...................................

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
WELLS8663

detroit diesel fan...................................

Post by WELLS8663 »

Does anyone have any practical experience in changing a fan on a detroit diesel 8v71 or similar to Thermo fans??????????????
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Re: detroit diesel fan...................................

Post by DiAmOnD T »

I have done a 1316 Mercedes and 16.240 MAN. Two 12 Inch fans did the trick with the MAN set up behind the radiator set to pull air through.
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
User7526

Post by User7526 »

The biggest question will be whether or not you can get something that will create enough airflow, you might need professional advice from a cooling system repair place or a reputable heavy vehicle mechanic at least.

Peta.
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Post by dominodc122 »

You would need one hell of a motor to drive it... :?
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

I've never seen an electric thermo that could cool a V8 two stroke. And I've seen some big thermos. Mt Gravatt used to have a cat powered MCA with a front mounted radiator that WAS run by a shaft from the motor. They replaced it with a Thermofan because the B10M-esque shaft driven remote fans are rattly, unreliable and STUPID. The electric really battled to keep a little 3208 cool in the heat.

Just to be clear, are you talking about installing a Horton-fan type setup on an engine-driven shaft or going completely electric?

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
acrockett

Post by acrockett »

DiAmOnD T wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm I have done a 1316 Mercedes and 16.240 MAN. Two 12 Inch fans did the trick with the MAN set up behind the radiator set to pull air through.
Are the thermo fans still working well for you? Any issues?

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”