What makes you happy today?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: What makes you happy today?

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Purchased a brand new Monitor as the old one died (After 11 years) and while it's 1080P HD (And not 4K) The picture is crispy, clear, even has built in speakers which I didn't really know were still a thing on monitors. The local appliance stores didn't really have any 4K monitors in not only my price range but also size so hence why I stuck with 1080P.

This one is also full HDMI compatible, previously I was using a HDMI to VGA adapter as my old monitor did not have a HDMI input.

If this can last as long as my old one I think I'll be sticking with this for a while.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
scott

Post by scott »

I won $2 on a Tattslotto scratchie my aunt sent me for my birthday(a month early). Might put it towards my Maccas McCafe coffee in the morning.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Finally coming across a listing for a Model bus that is on my most wanted list. Sure it costed me an arm & a leg but it was worth the trade off.

Now to wait patiently for it to be shipped from overseas.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

scott wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:32 pm I won $2 on a Tattslotto scratchie my aunt sent me for my birthday(a month early). Might put it towards my Maccas McCafe coffee in the morning.
During bizarre dream last night I found a $2 coin on the ground I thought my friend dropped and handed it to him and he was grateful.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

What makes me happy today??? FIVE MORE FREAKING SLEEPS until I am on holidays from work - no need to get up early for work for 3 whole weeks!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
Swift

Post by Swift »

Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

UPDATE: I mean Liberals are one seat away from winning, though the Labor leader has already conceded defeat.

That the Liberals won the Tasmanian election today, especially after the false comment by the Labor that Australia was invaded, but not just that issue. Australia was never invaded. The only attempted invasion was by Japan in 1942.
Anyone that claims Australia was invaded needs to pack up their bags, and leave the country.

Edit-1: Tasmania uses a slightly different voting to most of Australia. All elections should be first-pass-the-post voting.
Edit-2: HA HA HA at first, no sound when the green member started to speak.
Edit-3: Not saying I like or dislike the Liberals.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Finally making a Custom Coaches 550 bus :)
Custom 550 1 door.png
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Sorry that needs more work. The roof is too close to the top of the windows and the taillights are too large and close to the side.
The front looks closer to the real thing -the hardest to nail.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Watching Kevin and Malcolm on TV reminded me of a boss who said “any fool can criticize, and most do”
I think he was looking at me ha ha .
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Swift

Post by Swift »

Watching an hour of Leyland Nationals all around Britain in 1991. Especially spotting a ZF one at 19:46.

https://youtu.be/Cy0Rg_mYZug
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I've been desperate to pick up a camera to replace my deceased Nikon Coolpix P610.
Over two months or more without bus photography was driving me crazy.
Then last weekend at a garage sale I found an Olympus E410, 2 lenses and everything still in it's original box.
Owner couldn't say whether it worked or not - so sold it to me for $30.
Back home recharged the battery and found everything works perfectly, and has only taken 300 photos, which were still on the memory card.
One of the best bargains, if not the best, I've ever had.
Then today on my way out west to get back into the bus photography I've captured Langleys TV8354,
their Austral Minimaster repainted in Deluxe Coachlines livery passing through Mt Victoria.
A good week.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Were there any bus photos on the memory card?
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Would have been an even better week if there were. Just one looking out a bus window somewhere in Europe.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Wow Stefan I thought scoring a Sony mini DV camcorder dating from the 2000s at a Salvos store for $50 (only because they mistakenly believed the viewfinder was faulty) was a great deal. It had two tapes with family footage on them!
Did you have to go early to get that one?

I was put off garage sales in the 90s when dealers would turn up earlier than everyone else and grab the good stuff and leave the crap for the rest of us.
Sometimes I'd turn up earlier than the advertised time and cop an earful but the last straw was when the advert said strictly 7am and they had let people through anyway and their nonchalant attitude about it.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Agree with you Swift about the 'vultures'. Still happens.
Roll up in a van or ute usually, and set a walking speed record between their parked vehicle and the garage of the sale.

I kick myself afterwards with this sale because this guy had a few other cameras for sale.
Including a Nikon larger body (minus lens) which he said didn't work for $25, still in its box as well.
Would have been worth the risk for that price.

I find perseverance with garage sales up here eventually pays off from about 5% of the total visited.
The trick is not to end up moving crap from one location back to your own place.
Transport and local/Australian history are the subjects I look for.

The one and only bus enthusiasts garage sale I came across once by chance was Eddie Haymans.
Ended up with his timetable collection and numerous other paper bits and pieces, plus a range of photos.
Didn't know he had a holiday home just a couple of blocks away from where I live.
He wasn't well at the time and passed away some months later.
scott

Post by scott »

Playing handyman and actually succeeding, twice.

My parents spa filter was not filtering properly. Dad has been busy with retirement commitments, so he had not got around to it and Mum wanted it fixed, so I decide to experiment take a look at it, take off the lid of the pump, stuck a hose in it to top up the water in it, remove some leaves from the skimmer, put the lid on and started it up, pump primed and presto, a filtering spa, found the probable root cause, a split in the hose in the automatic cleaner probably letting air into the pump, swap the hose with spare piece and no issues since.

My wardrobe door came off the hinges, tried to fix it when it happened by tightening the hinge screws but would not tighten up and it came off again, gave up and was ready to get my neighbour or Dad when his commitments eased, but I decided to have a play, removed the hinge completely, tried to tighten the screws but they seemed too small, go out to the shed, find two nice tough bigger screws, put it all back together and presto, door is hung, closes better than it ever did.

I am useless with my hands, failed metalwork and did not do much better in woodwork(but passed with a D) and would of been the slowest and most useless tradesman on earth, but I must of remembered something, maybe watching other people do things, and succeeded, or maybe got annoyed and was determined to repair it.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Scott don't be so hard on yourself mate. I've surprised myself lately what I can do, but yes, some people have a natural talent at things no doubt.
I'm the tinkerer of the house but my dad has found a way to solve things with his hands that had me flummoxed and he's never had the slightest interest in being the handyman of the house.

I have had a cheap plastic vernier caliper for years that I use to measure the thickness of screws when I need to replace existing screws that won't bite properly anymore and to find matching screws out of my spares collection when I lose one.
scott

Post by scott »

I must say YouTube is a great home repair manual.

My year 7 metalwork teacher gave me hell in class, calling me useless and giving me a scathing parent teacher interview, which resulted in me spending the school holidays doing metalwork projects at his insistence, with Dad supervising and being very impatient with me,but ultimately any technical skills I have taught myself by Google and YouTube.

My woodwork teacher was the opposite, was great with me and tried to help rather than chastise.
Swift

Post by Swift »

When I think back, most teachers are assholes.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

@swift, makes me glad I'm long long long out of High-School. I could never really stand the teachers for example who would keep the entire class behind because of one or two smart-alecs in the class, that kind of behavior would never fly in the workplace so why does it fly in school? What on earth were they thinking?

There was also the occasional teacher who taught me for the entire year but I'd visit their office once outside of class and they would not remember me, say they've never met me. I get there's a lot of students that they teach & it's hard to remember 200+ but you knew who I was in class because you'd call me by my legal name. Doesn't help said teacher was how I feel unapproachable.

Maybe I'm just very sour but sometimes they'd reward the bad students (also known as troublemakers) with some good rewards, meanwhile rest of the class it's a useless give yourself a pat on the back.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:03 am I could never really stand the teachers for example who would keep the entire class behind because of one or two smart-alecs in the class, that kind of behavior would never fly in the workplace so why does it fly in school? What on earth were they thinking?
The point is breeding animosity against the trouble-makers and making them disliked by their peer group... While I doubt teachers would dare to admit it, I cannot help but wonder if the idea isn't to cause a small fight once the class is finally released.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

In the case of my school when I attended, that would never work (Disliking by their peers) so even if this was the reason for keeping behind an entire class for example it is just pointless in the end and achieves or results in nothing good.

The smart-alecs were the ones outside of class a majority of students would get along with and have no problem with them acting up in class. They would just cause trouble on purpose to frustrate the teacher more than the students.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I remember this bitch made me miss the bus twice by keeping us behind. I wish I just defied her. She wasn't one of my regular teachers anyway. The bus would depart only five minutes after the bell!
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I'm going back to the '60's and early '70's at school.
In science we had to memorise the Activity Series - you got one wrong and whack with the strap across your palm.
Music teacher carried a cane wrapped up in Nock & Kirby's paper (remember them ?).
We had to pick all the instruments playing on a recording. Get it wrong, and whack with the bamboo cane across the palms.
Only time I remember everyone in the class got the cane in one session. Even the top student.
Certainly doesn't make me happy remembering those times. Ah, the Catholic education system of days gone by.

Now when I wagged school and got caught out - I guess I deserved the strap for that.

Return to “The Lunch Room”