What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

On the topic of cars & automobiles, take a read of this.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/12/228 ... rt-key-fob

So basically summed up, Toyota wants to start charging a fee to remotely start your vehicle from an mobile application. You may say "sounds fair enough" but I disagree. You've purchased the vehicle, you own it, why should you be paying extra for a feature that is already built into the car? Now if this was a feature that wasn't built in and was classed as something that could be added on, I could probably partly understand this as long as it remained a 1 off (Purchase later and it is yours to use as long as the vehicle remains in roadworthy condition) .

I'm not really fond of everything going in the direction of "PaSS" or (Product as a Service). So much has changed over the last decade that nothing is really great for consumers anymore, you can't get major types of software as a one off license anymore, it is "Pay us X a month" (Microsoft Office, Adobe etc). Soon Enough it will cost money to do the same things within households with smart devices (I'm not fond of smart stuff either despite being a techie). If there is money to be made, the companies will do it no matter how much it will tick off their consumer base.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

People against the concept of PaSS will ultimately switch to free alternatives (e.g. GIMP, OpenOffice etc) in spite of their limitations. This will spur additional development on these applications and hopefully resolve some of the difficulties that prevent them from using the packages.

That's certainly a direction I'll head in when the time comes.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's like the product had become a device to get you continually handing money over. It's a very cynical exercise to get a continuous money flow. Imagine how it adds up from many thousands of people who bought your product.
They're trying to condition us to see this as routine behavior from the companies when it's actually insidious in nature and unscrupulous.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

Car dealers who don't take the time to talk their customers through some of the features on their new cars - I have a friend who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Overland and he barely knows how to use most of the features on the car..... one of these features is the remote start system!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Hurry up May 2022, I'm sick of the sun already.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I would say thank heaven we are finally getting a bit of sun.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I have to take Fleet Lists side on this one and I hate the heat but hate grey skies even more now.
scott

Post by scott »

huppypuppy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:48 pm Car dealers who don't take the time to talk their customers through some of the features on their new cars - I have a friend who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Overland and he barely knows how to use most of the features on the car..... one of these features is the remote start system!
They just make you go through a 800 page tome of a manual to find out. Once upon a time, Ford used to provide a cassette tape with most Falcon models that walked them through basic functions.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:40 pm Hurry up May 2022, I'm sick of the sun already.
As a sufferer of summer-onset SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and heat exhaustion, I absolutely agree.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I dislike gloomy top-of-12 rainy days too (even more now, given that winter and coronavirus goes hand in hand), but anything over 30 (especially when humid e.g. northerly winds straight from QLD) makes me just want to waste the entire day in front of air conditioning. Suffice to say, my gas heater works a lot better at warming up the place than my portable AC and several fans do at cooling it. I hate summer with a passion, I always cringe whenever I hear Jane Bunn telling the world about the "beautiful" weather (read: string of 30s) coming up in the forecast. The night between the two 30s Melbourne had was humid and sat in the 20s all night, and it was back above 30 by only 10AM (luckily a southerly wind with clouds set in at around 3PM so we didn't cop the worst of the heat).

If climate change means this is the new normal I might have to grow a second head and move further south! :lol:
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Here's a new one. I tend to watch clips from Dash Cam Owners Australia on the odd occasion, so I get out the DCOA YouTube bookmark, and the first video I click on has been flagged as age-restricted thus I can't watch it as I don't have (or want) a Google account. Not the first time by far either. Apparently dashcam footage showing cars crashing into each other and/or police pulling people over must be considered sexual content under Google's completely faultless algorithm thus nobody under the age of 18 should be allowed to watch it... No wonder YouTube downloader apps are so popular when a third of the entire site has been crippled by Google (never mind the bloated player itself).
tbohlsennswssrg

Post by tbohlsennswssrg »

It could be on violence grounds?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Youtube, Youtube, Youtube.

Great for watching videos, not great anymore for small content creators. It is disappointing you have to remain super vigilant on what your doing as a content creator to not offend both Youtube and their algorithm. I'd love to get back into content creating but I've 80% thrown in the towel at this point, anything I create doesn't show up for some reason or garners very little views. For example say I visited a train station & filmed trains there, I upload that video and it might get a couple of views (less than 50 and it'll be like that for about forever). However someone else can do the same even if their a small channel and they also upload their own video of them visiting the same station and doing the same thing, result = it shows up when you search it, gets recommended in the side bar and perhaps more exposure and views than what my video would.

I create content because I not only do I like doing it, but I also like sharing it with the world and one day could be part of history itself. It takes me sometimes hours to put a 3 minute clip together because there is a lot of cuts, text fields, transitions etc I need to put into the video. Time and effort I'd like to see pay off however when I upload I'm let down by the algorithm because my video will sit dormant at half of 100 views, maybe less and no comments.

the 20% of me would love to get back into it and continue but even that percentage knows I shouldn't build my hopes up. I'm not looking to be successful either, I as a content creator just simply want my content seen.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

YouTube are corrupt. They're very agenda driven like all the corporations that get too big for their high heels!

I want to see heads roll from these tech giants one day for how they see themselves as thought and feelings regulators. They want control of people so they can manipulate buying patterns that ultimately sends revenue toward their coffers.
Giant private companies are not conducive to a healthy democratic state, which is why government oversight is part and parcel of a properly functional free market state.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

YouTube search is completely broken. Where once you got several pages of videos, you now get a dozen or so unless you use more advanced search options. Amongst these results are "Suggested Videos", which while they may be of interest, are completely unrelated to your search - you've searched 1962 Tube Stock and Typewriter videos appear because you watched that yesterday 🤬
esperanceguy47

Post by esperanceguy47 »

On Wednesday night it was literally gastro/food poisoning :shock:
former Perth public transport fanatic 1991-2005 and still fanboying to this day in Esperance
scott

Post by scott »

Having boring as bats**t guests on Christmas day that won't go home, might do one of Mr Bean's tricks and advance the clock.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

scott wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:52 pm might do one of Mr Bean's tricks and advance the clock.
Ah would you look at the time, doesn't time fly when your having fun :)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hmm that's a late dusk we're having. 10:30pm and there's still twillight! Glad we stuck around to share this unusual phenomena well always remember.
eddy

Post by eddy »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:00 am Youtube, Youtube, Youtube.

Great for watching videos, not great anymore for small content creators. It is disappointing you have to remain super vigilant on what your doing as a content creator to not offend both Youtube and their algorithm. I'd love to get back into content creating but I've 80% thrown in the towel at this point, anything I create doesn't show up for some reason or garners very little views. For example say I visited a train station & filmed trains there, I upload that video and it might get a couple of views (less than 50 and it'll be like that for about forever). However someone else can do the same even if their a small channel and they also upload their own video of them visiting the same station and doing the same thing, result = it shows up when you search it, gets recommended in the side bar and perhaps more exposure and views than what my video would.

I create content because I not only do I like doing it, but I also like sharing it with the world and one day could be part of history itself. It takes me sometimes hours to put a 3 minute clip together because there is a lot of cuts, text fields, transitions etc I need to put into the video. Time and effort I'd like to see pay off however when I upload I'm let down by the algorithm because my video will sit dormant at half of 100 views, maybe less and no comments.

the 20% of me would love to get back into it and continue but even that percentage knows I shouldn't build my hopes up. I'm not looking to be successful either, I as a content creator just simply want my content seen.
As my proposal for a Sydney to Melbourne Japanese maglev is the most popular on many fast train comments perhaps if you make a youtube video just driving around the proposed Parrahub site many people may look at it.

Just an idea that may or may not work but I spend a lot of time on youtube and am impressed by people like yourself that know how to do it and take the time to share their knowledge like the worlds best teacher on one to one.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
scott

Post by scott »

The TV ads for Wallet Wizard.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

My work has let me down and now I'm not happy. (What a great start to New Year)

So long story short I've had the Holiday I'm currently on booked for the last two months (I booked time off late November) and work knew I'd be going on Holidays. For whatever reason management has decided to not inform me until basically late on New Years Eve day that before I return to work I must take a COVID-19 test (didn't state if it is RAT or PCR that needs to be done) and their reasoning "Because I've been in Sydney" you know this is despite Newcastle being a worse case story than Sydney at the moment with COVID. What they've done is given me very short notice that is going to be impossible today Saturday (New Years Day) because the Clinics will be shut due to being public holiday, Sunday I need to prioritise getting home and don't have the time to stand in line to get tested (+ I need check out of the motel). Monday is also a Public Holiday and again the local Clinics will be shut. That left just Tuesday to say that is the best I can get tested and there is only one Clinic open in my home area on Tuesday according to NSW Health so everyone will already be there 3 hours+ before opening time.

Secondly, Per the State Governments advice / recommendations they have said they don't want those who don't have any symptoms to go and line up and get tested as at that point your taking away a position from someone who needs to get tested (And given Clinics are already at max capacity hours before they open for the day). Under the new COVID testing advice, I don't meet the requirements to need to go and get tested. I've not been to any hot spots, I've not been around someone for 4 hours to be a close contact etc.

Now before my post gets interpreted the wrong way for whatever reason, I have no problems getting tested, I will happily do it when there is a legitimate reason for me to do so.

* I did call Service NSW for advice and while they confirmed the above (Not required to get tested if you don't have symptoms). They were pretty useless in otherwise helping me "Oh their must be a reason their asking you to get tested" said the agent. Yeah their only reason being that "I've been in Sydney" and I couldn't get my employer to budge when I told them it is silly their going against NSW Health advice and telling staff to waste time lining up when they know they don't have any symptoms and they know the on-going situation how hard it is to get a test. I don't want to be taking away a position from someone who needs it however work has given me no other choice. (Again the short notice and really bad timing doesn't help)

I was meant to start again this Tuesday coming and work the Wednesday but now until further notice, I've lost work until I can waste time lining up when I don't need to be and return a negative result to work just to please management. This is the last time I tell them anything and next time I will just say if I need leave I'm taking personal time myself. Being honest has come back to bite me in the backside.
Swift

Post by Swift »

That's ridiculous. They're just indulging their paranoia at your expense. Modern employers seem to feel entitled to run your life.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

scott wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:05 pm The TV ads for Wallet Wizard.
I'll call your Wallet Wizard with a CAAAASHHH TRAAAAAAIIINNNNNNNN.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:00 pm
scott wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:05 pm The TV ads for Wallet Wizard.
I'll call your Wallet Wizard with a CAAAASHHH TRAAAAAAIIINNNNNNNN.
Ah yes, Cash Train, another one that gives me the total S#!ts. free money sounds like a scam to me.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)

Return to “The Lunch Room”