the c man

Re: Trams or Light rail down Scarb Beach Rd

Post by the c man »

nachoman wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:57 pm Trackless Tram arrives in Stirling
In otherwords a bus
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Yes. A longer than usual bus despite all the crap from the tram lobby.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

1whoknows wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:00 am Yes. A longer than usual bus despite all the crap from the tram lobby.
There are no tram advocates behind this. It's just a marketing facade for a bus.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

What will this achieve that this very impressive tt doesn't already achieve?

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/timeta ... 230716.pdf

Is there a shortage of capacity? Is 990 run by artics? Custom Denning is developing an electric artic locally. Shouldn't we be looking to local solutions rather than relying on Chinese technology?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:28 pm What will this achieve that this very impressive tt doesn't already achieve?

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/timeta ... 230716.pdf

Is there a shortage of capacity? Is 990 run by artics? Custom Denning is developing an electric artic locally. Shouldn't we be looking to local solutions rather than relying on Chinese technology?
Meaningful priority, and better stop infrastructure, perhaps. Although it looks as though the mid-tier transit study might address this anyway.

I think some artics run on the 990 but as far as I knew(!) weren't a major feature of the route, and may not be easily-facilitated in large numbers on the Perth-Glendalough section of the route.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:56 pm Meaningful priority, and better stop infrastructure, perhaps. Although it looks as though the mid-tier transit study might address this anyway.

I think some artics run on the 990 but as far as I knew(!) weren't a major feature of the route, and may not be easily-facilitated in large numbers on the Perth-Glendalough section of the route.
It looks like the gadgetbahn wouldn't be doing the Perth-Glendalough section anyway, so that already limits it. I see that they're also testing the turning circle, presumably on the loops at both ends so that could be a show-stopper too.

If it's not an all-artic route already, then it doesn't have capacity problems that might justify a gadgetbahn. Better to go to a full artic service first. Then beyond that, wasn't Scarborough the terminus of the outer rail loop in an earlier Perth rail plan?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

tonyp wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:56 pm It looks like the gadgetbahn wouldn't be doing the Perth-Glendalough section anyway, so that already limits it. I see that they're also testing the turning circle, presumably on the loops at both ends so that could be a show-stopper too.
They might just be testing general turning, as it should be drivable from both ends, so no turning loop needed at the terminus, like a modern tram.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

1whoknows wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:00 am Yes. A longer than usual bus despite all the crap from the tram lobby.
It appears to be double ended, double sided and doesn’t appear to have a steering wheel. I doubt it could be driven anywhere other along along its “tracks”?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

There are double ended buses in other parts of the world. There even used to be one in Tasmania 40-50 years ago. There have also been double sided buses such as the former Launceston Ford airporter.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”