Most memorable TV commercials

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Most memorable TV commercials

Post by scott »

What are the most memorable TV or radio commercials you remember?

Mine are

1 Yellow Pages: Not Happy Jan became a household phrase, great writing in this late 90's commercial.

2. Demtel ads with Tim Shaw flogging steak knives.

3. The recent ad with the little girl in the back of the car telling her dad how to save money on petrol

4. The TAC ads as they used to scare me to death when I was little (was about 7 when the first ones aired)

5. An ad for Mitsubishi that had some of the cast of "The Comedy Company". This ad was for the TP Magna Wagon and portrayed a family driving their new Magna SE wagon, the baby character on the back seat claimed "This new Magna Wagon is as smooth as a baby's bum", this became quite a popular schoolyard phrase in about 1990, as at the time my dad had a TP wagon as a company car and drove me to school in it one morning, one of the older kids called out to me "How's the Magna" and I, replied "As smooth as a baby's bum", and before long everyone began to say it, until the teachers began to intervene and deduct house points from everyone who said it. My grade 2 teacher sent me to the corner when I repeated the remark and I stayed there for quite a while and it cost my house 10 house points!!!

Just shows how powerful advertising can be!!!!
Last edited by scott on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

Can we include radio advertising aswell???

One which many Melbourne people would be familiar with, is the National Tiles ads. Annoying, I know, but effective.

"Helloooooooo, Frank Walker From National Tiles."
scott

Post by scott »

That has to be the most annoying ad, he has been doing it for years, at least he gets his message across, but the Hellooooo bit really annoys me.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - what a memory - Helloooooooooo, Frank Walker from National Tiiiiiiiiiiiles - he even used to be on country Vic radio (I think there was a shop in Bendigo near where I lived). Annoying to the max, but funny now that I don't hear it anymore!
Job done.
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

AAMI ad

Post by leopard1543 »

My favourite ad would be the one for AAMI where the father takes his son to school and picks up his son's friend along the way and tries to charge him a fare for the lift to school. The look of the kids face is priceless :!: :lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
Mother

Post by Mother »

The NOT HAPPY JAN ad is the one that stands out the most for me, and it has still been my favourite ever since.

The three simple words just say it all. It's brilliant.
CHIPS ARE CHIPS!
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

I dont know if you guys saw it, but Channel 9 was running ads to promote the new Hugh Jackman program. They were describing it as "Americas Number 1 New Drama." Number 1 at what exactly??

The show was axed after one week in the US, and after 2 weeks in Australia. It couldnt have been too good.
Nexas

Post by Nexas »

Eratik wrote:I dont know if you guys saw it, but Channel 9 was running ads to promote the new Hugh Jackman program. They were describing it as "Americas Number 1 New Drama." Number 1 at what exactly??

The show was axed after one week in the US, and after 2 weeks in Australia. It couldnt have been too good.
I saw that! Idiots!
Views expressed by me are strictly my own, not of my friends, employer, or anyone else.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

:oops: I DID A ADD FOR CHANNEL O in brisbane,were i had to drive a drop centre tram up 8 DOWN NEW FARM PK LINE AT LEAST 100 times for TRISTRAMS soft drinks banging the tram gong for ring -a -ding flavours :oops: also had to drive a govt bus for last federal election for were is the gst going to mr howard, :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Deleted 16/4/2008

Post by Deleted 16/4/2008 »

What about that new Libra ad I dont get that at all.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

BBI wrote:What about that new Libra ad I dont get that at all.
Which one???
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

"The recent ad with the little girl in the back of the car telling her dad how to save money on petrol"

Thats sh%t

how about the classic 'What" ads for Hahn light beer.

1, he jumps in the spa
2, puts nipples in the love heart
3, pulls a fish out of water while on gondala ride with girl
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Post by J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) »

the carlton draught ad - this is one big ad

masses of people run making a shape of a man drinking been on a field
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

Eratik wrote:I dont know if you guys saw it, but Channel 9 was running ads to promote the new Hugh Jackman program. They were describing it as "Americas Number 1 New Drama." Number 1 at what exactly??
It's obviously a number 1 in someone's mind - most likely the idiot trying to hide the fact it was shitful. :twisted:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
gravesend_king

Post by gravesend_king »

the TAB ad with elle mcPerson does it for me
I know it all
Windy

Post by Windy »

DiAmOnD T wrote:"The recent ad with the little girl in the back of the car telling her dad how to save money on petrol"

Thats sh%t

how about the classic 'What" ads for Hahn light beer.

1, he jumps in the spa
2, puts nipples in the love heart
3, pulls a fish out of water while on gondala ride with girl
It was a cannon ball into the spa, but she had a nice arse, and fairly decent chest (don't mind the freckles too much).

The other one where the girl is sitting on a bean bag and the guy jumps from the roof onto the beanbag, thus jettisoning the girl into the pool... that was also rather funny.
member 1423

Post by member 1423 »

Toyota Hilux ad, circa 1998

'Bugger'
mubd

Post by mubd »

Eratik wrote:I dont know if you guys saw it, but Channel 9 was running ads to promote the new Hugh Jackman program. They were describing it as "Americas Number 1 New Drama." Number 1 at what exactly???
Number 1 at making the most "false advertisement" lawsuits for channel nine, who don't wait for one season of the damn show to decide whether they should use the "fasttracked, direct from the US, streamed direct from the US" approach, so they don't get that many lawsuits.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Bazza
Favourite Vehicle: Nissan Skyline R31

Post by Bazza »

...because it's a Farmers' Union Iced Coffee, or it's nothing.

Ballerina bobcats. 8)
Norbert

Post by Norbert »

I agree with Mother, the NOT HAPPY JAN!! ad is brilliant.
captainch wrote:I DID A ADD FOR CHANNEL O in brisbane...
Rick R was in an ad too. Wow, look at all these celebrities. One from Brooky, one from Ryde :lol:
Goodbye 3447: 11/93 - 3/09
TransdevTSL: 3, 13, 17, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 31, 33, 72, 75, 76, 77, 78, 86, 100, 101, 103, 110, 111
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
davemail66
Favourite Vehicle: E2123

Post by davemail66 »

The Caltex commercial on TV a few years back now with the little old lady that comes into the servo to buy some milk or something with the squeaky shopping trolly, I mean hip :)
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster...........
Mother

Post by Mother »

Thank you, Davemail66, for being the only one on this discussion board to acknowledge My 15 seconds of fame.
CHIPS ARE CHIPS!
tone167
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. MAN SL200 (1982-2011)

Post by tone167 »

The Christian Television Association used to produce plenty of commercial gold.

Two of my favourites are the one with the puppets in it ('help! i'm mortally wounded!') and the one they used to show around Christmas time, with the little kid on Santa's knee asking for pretty much for the entire stock of a small Toyworld, and when Santa asks what Junior REALLY wants, he says 'No fighting at home!'.

There was also a community announcement from the early 1980s that was shown during kids shows on Channel 9, which was essentially a short animation extolling the virtues of taking plenty of vitamins A-E via a balanced diet. That was a classic.
Saab 900 1978-93: The best Scania ever made.
kobystarling

Re: Most memorable TV commercials

Post by kobystarling »

Tone im not sure if your still active but my dad is claiming to be the kid saying no fighting at home, I am not able to find the advert can you find it?

Return to “The Lunch Room”