Central Station Redevelopment

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
mandonov

Central Station Redevelopment

Post by mandonov »

Revitalising Central Station

The state’s busiest commuter hub could soon be rejuvenated putting it on par with some of the grand stations of the world.

Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance has announced the start of planning to breathe new life into Central Station which has stood as an icon for 110 years.

“Central is the key gateway to Sydney and we want to unlock its potential,” Mr Constance said.

“NSW deserves a premier station that everyone can be proud of, one that’s not just a place to pass through but a destination itself.”

Work will soon begin on a new light rail stop as well as new Sydney Metro platforms, providing a catalyst to consider a wider rejuvenation of the precinct.

“Today we’re kicking off consultation to revitalise Central and we want the public to come forward with ideas, and to think big,” Mr Constance said.

“It’s pretty clear when you compare it to the grand stations of the world, Central is falling short of what it could be offering customers and visitors to Sydney at the moment.

“Customers tell us they want more retail and to be able to move around the station more easily, which will become even more important as Central grows as an interchange point.

“I want the station’s revitalisation to be about innovation, to accommodate the changing face of transport and new technology in this city, but in a way that respects and preserves Central’s heritage.”

More than 270,000 people use the station daily. In the next two decades, that figure is expected to reach around 450,000.

The first step in the plan will be to get public feedback on ideas to revitalise inside and around Central, and also engage industry through an extensive consultation program.

People can find out more or submit their vision for a better Central at yoursay.transport.nsw.gov.au/centralstation

September 15
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-r ... al-station
moa999

Re: Central Station Redevelopment

Post by moa999 »

Would help if they reopened the food area on the Grand Concourse.

I agree that the Elizabeth St entrance is the worst one with its slopes and stairs down to the T4 Concourse - the rest of the concourses are quite OK since the retiling, although have too many pillars and walls (but I doubt that can be fixed without some ridiculous reconstruction)

The two side Chalmers entrances could be modernised by removing the concrete bases and installing an all glass canopy, and some escalators as they will become more important for people transferring from the train to access the light rail stop -- depending on where the stop is potentially adding a new escalator from the T24/25 concourse

For the heritage Elizabeth St entrance - new tiling and lighting (or a skylight) and potentially level out the entrance using escalators (aka the proposed Wynyard George St changes).

Also given they have seemingly ruled out using 26/27 for rail (per the Metro EIS) could it be reserved as a turnaround platform for a future Central-Redfern-Zetland-Waterloo-GreenSq which has previously been proposed
Last edited by moa999 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

I wondered about the comments in the metro EIS regarding the road bridge into Sydney yard for Metro construction being retained 'for easier access' or some such. It looks like the apartments on the West Carriage Shed site, plus many others, may be coming.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Problem is with Central I find it's the platforms particularly 20-23. Not enough stairs often cluttered with Airport customers with luggage.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The stairs need barriers down the middle, with clearly marked UP and DOWN signage
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:The stairs need barriers down the middle, with clearly marked UP and DOWN signage
Sydney gets a lot of international tourists and Australia is the only country in the world where pedestrians are expected to walk on the left (and stand on the left on escalators), so confusion is hardly surprising.

The logic of keeping right, especially on stairs, is that most people are right handed and carry stuff in their left hand, so it's the right hand that's free for holding handrails etc.

The good news is that Australia is a great country for left-handers.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I am right handed but for some perverse reason I prefer to walk down stairs on the left. Maybe I am just conditioned to it after 70 or so years.

We drive on the left, and in the past there were rules about walking to the left on footpaths. There are often signs saying "stand to the left" on escalators (but now usually in some inconvenient location). There used to be prominent signs, but seems they have become politically incorrect.

I think it was in Singapore or Tokyo, but I can recall wandering around some subterranean pedestrian "divided" walkways where the alignment would suddenly change from RH to LH.

But whatever, it would help to have a standard and stick to it. And have it clearly marked.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Frosty wrote:Problem is with Central I find it's the platforms particularly 20-23. Not enough stairs often cluttered with Airport customers with luggage.
It would be of great assistance for Airport bound passengers with luggage if escalators (or lifts) were provided, as I know from bitter experience having travelled extensively overseas, that trying to lug 1 or 2 heavy suitcases up steps can be horrendous, especially for the older generation. Nice in particular was strenuous.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There are lifts available to all platforms, and lots of signage advising passengers with baggage to use them.
@ The Museum of Fire.
dude

Post by dude »

Sydney gets a lot of international tourists and Australia is the only country in the world where pedestrians are expected to walk on the left (and stand on the left on escalators), so confusion is hardly surprising.
Not visited Japan then I take it? Only in Osaka do they stand on the right, the rest of the nation stands to the left.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

moa999 wrote:Would help if they reopened the food area on the Grand Concourse.
And you WANT that certain fast food shop to return? It was one of the most expensive, and poorly made/cooked food compared to the other stores of the same chain nearby.

As for the real topic of this, didn't Labor also "revamp" Central Station a number of years ago? Also note is the word "could", not "will".
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Newcastle Flyer wrote: And you WANT that certain fast food shop to return? It was one of the most expensive, and poorly made/cooked food compared to the other stores of the same chain nearby.

As for the real topic of this, didn't Labor also "revamp" Central Station a number of years ago? Also note is the word "could", not "will".
Central had a really major rebuild/restoration/modernisation in the 80s and 90s, not just a revamp. I don't know why it's being made out to be an old run-down station. All they had to do was look after it, which is not one of the railways' specialties when it comes to its assets.

Letting those trashy fast food places into the former interstate booking office was asking for trouble too. It's in the condition it's in now because Hungry Jacks tried to burn the whole station down with their filthy waste. The place just needs some good asset management.

And bring back the old TCS!
boronia

Post by boronia »

As a regular user I would agree with the original comments that the Elizabeth St entrance, and the Eddy Ave ramp, are not the prettiest of places. They are much the same as they were 50 years ago

They did a reasonably good job of fixing up the Devonshire St entrance a couple of years ago,; surely the other two entrances could be improved?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

IIRC, this is the third revitalisation and unlocking of potential which I have witnessed. At least the spin didn't include the phrase 'world class'.
It is unfortunate, that world class for stations and airports now is modelled on shopping malls: a grand space filled with little booths.
Usually now, that means adding a mezzanine floor in the grand arch. There are some where it is done at subway level.
Steadily, stations have moved from meals to fast food. That is how far downmarket rail travel is seen to be. There are some running at bistro standard, certainly not the grand dining of past years: too slow and too unaffordable.

Roderick
Newcastle Flyer

Most likely to hide bad news about the government

tonyp wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote: As for the real topic of this, didn't Labor also "revamp" Central Station a number of years ago? Also note is the word "could", not "will".
I don't know why it's being made out to be an old run-down station.
Let's see, this "redevelopment" was "released" after the major bus fire on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Most likely it was (re?)-announced to take that news off the news, as much as possible, exactly like all political parties do.
tonyp wrote:And bring back the old TCS!
What's TCS?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

One sometimes notes the odd bits of recent work that aren't incorporated into the earlier fabric completely - for example the added on lift areas at the CBD end of the suburban platforms have a small gap that was letting in large amounts of rain yesterday afternoon that almost required an umbrellas to cross the short gap.
tonyp

Re: Most likely to hide bad news about the government

Post by tonyp »

Roderick Smith wrote:IIRC, this is the third revitalisation and unlocking of potential which I have witnessed. At least the spin didn't include the phrase 'world class'.
It is unfortunate, that world class for stations and airports now is modelled on shopping malls: a grand space filled with little booths.
Usually now, that means adding a mezzanine floor in the grand arch. There are some where it is done at subway level.
Steadily, stations have moved from meals to fast food. That is how far downmarket rail travel is seen to be. There are some running at bistro standard, certainly not the grand dining of past years: too slow and too unaffordable.

Roderick
Thirty years ago they cleared out the booths (small and large) to create an uncluttered space. The other thing is that grand 19th century stations were seen then in a positive light as giving rail travel a sense of occasion, compared to the grubby experience of the average airport. It's a cycle of "latest thinking" that takes place within a building shell and hopefully the shell survives the various fads relatively intact in the long term.
Newcastle Flyer wrote: What's TCS?
Trading and Catering Service (of the NSW Railways). They ran all the old railway refreshment rooms and also the refreshment and retail services on Central Station among others. They were abolished when everything was privatised and leased. I still have a couple of their mongrammed china plates (acquired legally).

You could get some nice stuff at Central once, before it all descended into pap.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The older branding was RRR - Railway Refreshment Rooms.

I've got a lot of their old stuff from when it was sold off.
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Well the back wall opposite the info desk on the grand concourse looks nice now that the TVM's have been removed. Also that retail space that has been vacant for a year has stickers on the door saying "Coming Soon", so I can't wait for the opening of Central's fifth Newslink.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
moa999 wrote:Would help if they reopened the food area on the Grand Concourse.
And you WANT that certain fast food shop to return? It was one of the most expensive, and poorly made/cooked food compared to the other stores of the same chain nearby.
Not necessarily.
I don't eat that junk so don't know about the prices or quality, but it certainly seemed to be one of the more popular outlets given the queues - and I suspect prices in those chains are somewhat related to location/rent charged - they operate on pretty thin margins.

But I just want 'something' to return.
The area has been closed for ages, with no suggestion of reconstruction or reopening.

Yes I would prefer some more upmarket options, albeit maybe not St.Pancreas champagne bar, or Grand Central restaurants, but you do need to cater for all.
At the moment they are catering for none.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Re: Most likely to hide bad news about the government

Post by Daniel »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Let's see, this "redevelopment" was "released" after the major bus fire on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Most likely it was (re?)-announced to take that news off the news, as much as possible, exactly like all political parties do.
No, just co-incidental timing. It actually takes a while to get the wheels in motion for a release from the government and they are all meticulously planned in advance.
Newcastle Flyer

I still say it was meant as as distraction!

moa999 wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote: And you WANT that certain fast food shop to return? It was one of the most expensive, and poorly made/cooked food compared to the other stores of the same chain nearby.
I don't eat that junk so don't know about the prices or quality
Quality, price = Don't ASK!

Put a Subway shop in place instead, &/or a take away that sells REAL hamburgers, chips, etc.

Now why don't they finish off Platform 26/27 for an actual train service? Say do what J.J.C. Bradfield wanted to do, and build the Northern interurban tracks via the North Shore, as intended. Wasn't most of the North Shore line built with an extra space for two extra lines?

PS: Anyone know what the lengths are of Platform 26/27 is?
White lives matter too.
tonyp

Re: I still say it was meant as as distraction!

Post by tonyp »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Quality, price = Don't ASK!

Put a Subway shop in place instead, &/or a take away that sells REAL hamburgers, chips, etc.
Consider yourself lucky that Hungry Jacks nobly tried to sacrifice Central Station by putting all its fat and grease up its flue rather than through your arteries.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Well since I hear it;s basically an identical copy to Platform 24/25 I'm guessing it would be just over 160m long or essentially a standard (20m 8 car set) platform.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Surely the distruption to ESR services would be too great. Rail safeworking and construction safety standards have moved on considerably since the late 1970s.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”