Melbourne Docklands - Wyndham Harbour ferry

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Roderick Smith

Melbourne Docklands - Wyndham Harbour ferry

Post by Roderick Smith »

This is a sufficiently-major development to warrant its own thread.

I couldn't get to Wyndham Harbour for the inaugural Mon.16.5 6.40, but one transport reporter did (early train to Werribee, then taxi).
I did get to town for the inaugural 17.40, and barely connected via the long hike from a late suburban train. With a real commuter, I was striding up the dock with 2 min to go, and we were seen, and we rounded the U turn and got up the ramp with 60 s spare. The company's project officer was circulating and interviewing passengers. We came off the dock at 17.42, moving upriver, then reversed the waterjets to round up, then took off at a steady (slow) pace. We reached the end of the Yarra breakwater at 18.20, the accelerated. Wyndham Harbour was reached a few minutes early, ~18.50. The ride was more lively than in the morning, but quite acceptable.
The high-quality internet will be commissioned midweek. I don't know when the coffee bar/trolley will come. There is better provision now for feedback and questions via a form on the website.

Roderick.

Port Phillip commuter ferries?
My article ‘Down the bay’ (in a ~2003 Ferries Australia) looked at the history of bay ferries. They progressed from bay shipping as a rivals to railways on the Melbourne – Geelong route, to the glory days of bay-excursion traffic: Melbourne – resort ports, and Geelong – Bellarine Peninsula ports. In that time, there were only two public-transport routes established successfully: Port Melbourne – Williamstown (across Hobsons Bay) and Queenscliff – Sorrento (linking the two peninsulas). Later attempts to provide a commuter service across the bay (one with a hydrofoil, one with a hovercraft) failed for multiple reasons. Single-vessel routes cannot provide the frequency of service; the bay is notoriously rough; the vessels required a change of mode at Port Melbourne. Since then, tourist services have boomed: down the Yarra from the cbd to Williamstown, and sometimes St Kilda – Williamstown, also a bike ferry connecting Fishermans Bend and Newport. The last decade has seen major growth in housing in the western suburbs, resulting in road and public-transport congestion. Civic leaders and state politicians have looked to the water as a possible means of relief. There are many practical difficulties. The bay can be too rough for small vessels, but any useful service needs a fleet of small vessels. There is a strict speed limit in the Yarra, but this could be raised if a low-wash design which could also handle bay conditions could be found. Any service is likely to be too expensive. The number of passengers who could be diverted would be trivial compared with needs. Nevertheless, the idea kept resurfacing, and was taken up by businessman Paul Little. He has hired a 400-seat ferry (MV 'Capricornian Dancer') from SeaLink (via its Gladstone Ferries subsidiary), and brought it to Melbourne for an 8 week trial as MV 'Wyndham Explorer'. It conducted various bay trials, including docking at Williamstown and at Station Pier. There was a promotional launch at Victoria Harbour, then two public open days (Fri.13 & Sat.14.5), then the start of public services on Mon.16.5.
See: www.portphillipferries.com.au

The inaugural schedule was dictated by no relaxation of the speed limit, and by market research.
Wyndham Harbour 6.40 Mon.-Fri. (8.30 Sat. & Sun.); Docklands 7.54 (9.44).
Docklands 17.40 Mon.-Fri. (16.00); Wyndham Harbour 18.54 (16.14).
The weekend trips are pitched around shopping rather than football.
The crewing is by people from the Queensland operations.
The company is optimistic that it will obtain an upgraded speed limit (currently 11 km to West Gate Bridge, then maybe 18 km to the Yarra mouth, then at about 45 km by sticking between the channel and the coast.
This is dependent upon proof of low wash, and being safe for other waterway users.
During the trial, fares are $20 for return trips and $13 one way.
These will rise if the service becomes permanent, but will include carparking at Wyndham Vale (~200 dedicated spots, plus ~250 overflow spots).
Bus connections there are poor (the area is only just developing), but most responders to the planning stage stated that they would be driving.
The floating jetty is unsheltered, and with low-level lighting.
The jetty in town isn't adjacent to the Etihad tramstop or walkway, but the company hopes to get the closest spot to those if the service becomes permanent.
The vessel is a 35 m EnviroCat, which seats 400 passengers indoors. The vessel boasts a lower fuel usage per passenger than a small four-cylinder car, and no water-borne emissions. The hulls have been designed for low wash, very shallow draft (1.3 m empty). The high-efficiency Kamewa waterjets in combination with a Humphree interceptor system provide manoeuvrability and a comfortable ride. This is one of four built for worker transport from Gladstone (Qld) to a construction site for natural-gas drilling. The construction stage has finished; the transport task has diminished. If the trial is a success, PPF plans to obtain an extra ferry, and improve the service offering.
There is a further open day on Sat.21.5 for Wyndham Vale locals.

Port Phillip Ferries holding open day for Docklands service.
May 12, 2016 Wyndham Leader.
People can take a sneak peak at a new port to Werribee South ferry service ahead of its launch next week.
The new venture, which will ferry passengers from Wyndham Harbour to Victoria Harbour in Docklands, will open the decks to visitors at the weekend.
People will be able to take a tour of the ferry, enjoy food on-deck and enjoy entertainment at Victoria Harbour in the Docklands on Friday and Saturday.
Port Phillip Ferries service was launched by the Little Group, to offer an alternative to commuters who battled with peak-hour traffic on the roads.
It launches an eight-week trial on Monday which will run non-stop between Wyndham Harbour and Docklands.
Other stops such as Point Cook and Portarlington will be considered if there is demand.
The 35m long catamarans have seating for up to 400 passengers with Wi-Fi capabilities and an on-board cafe available for customers.
It will run one weekday morning and evening service from Wyndham departing at 6.40 and leaving Docklands at 17.40. The 31km trip will take about 75 minutes.
Parking at Wyndham Harbour marina will be included in the fare.
Return fares during the eight-week trial will cost $20, rising to $25 (online) or $29 if bought on the day.
Company chairman Paul Little said there was a pressing need for transport alternatives in a rapidly growing western suburbs.
Mr Little said the ferries would be an efficient and cost effective option for commuters.
Visitors can step a board the ferries on 13 & 14,5 between 11.00 & 15.00 at Victoria Harbour.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west ... 96cb914163
* It will be fun when the next gale blows through the Bay.
* $15 is probably a more realistic price customers would be willing to pay especially for a 75 minute trip.
* $125 per week and I still need to drive to Wyndham Harbour? Really? Alternatively, I can take the train, arrive quicker, not get sea sick, and save $80 a week, thats $4160 a year! Somehow, a guy like Paul little may have a stake in the Real Estate at Wyndham Harbour and part of the deal is the ferry for the residents...Once the properties are sold the Ferry will go or they will have another tax payer funded commuter service delivering fresh air!

Paul Little launches Wyndham Harbour to Docklands ferry service.
May 12, 2016 Herald Sun.
A new commuter ferry service between the western suburbs and Docklands is set to start on Monday with the operator confident it will succeed.
High profile businessman Paul Little said that his Port Phillip Ferries venture had been backed by positive market research.
“I think that people will want to try it and the word will spread about the quality of the service and I think it will grow,” he said.
“We’ve got a quality vessel, there’s no question there’s some discontentment out there in relation to road and rail options.”
The service will run between Wyndham Harbour in Werribee South and Water Plaza, Docklands, using a 400-seat catamaran.
Initial trials will involve a Monday to Friday 6.40 departure from Wyndham Harbour arriving at Docklands at 7.54.
Businessman Paul Little and Senior Master Jeff Davey with the ferry. Picture: David Caird.
Senior Master Jeff Davey at the controls. Picture: David Caird.
The return trip will leave Docklands at 17.40 and arrive at Werribee South at 18.54.
On weekends, the ferry will leave Wyndham Harbour at 8.30 and depart from Docklands at 16.00.
A $20 return fare and $13 one-way ticket will be offered during the two-month trial, while the cost later will be $25 for an online return booking and $29 if bought on the day.
Cafe facilities and free wi fi will be offered in coming months.
The venture was officially launched today with guests including Lord Mayor Robert Doyle and Essendon FC coach John Worsfold.
MORE: YARRA SPEED LIMIT HURDLE FOR DOCKLANDS FERRY.
Cr Doyle said the proposal was risky but he believed the public would get on board.
“Pretty quickly they’ll realise this is a whole lot more pleasant than being stuck on the freeway in a traffic jam that’s banked back for 25km because something’s gone wrong with the West Gate Bridge,” he said.
Cr Doyle said a key issue was the service getting permission to excess the current 6-10 knots speed limit on the Yarra River.
“If that can be worked through with Government to demonstrate that the wash of the boat won’t harm the banks, then obviously it could speed up coming into the city and that would make it even more viable,” he said.
Mr Little said he would like to see the service eventually linked to the myki ticketing system, but this was problematic because the ferry service was not government-run.
“If we can it would seem to make a lot of sense,” he said.
“But the ability for commuters on our ferry to jump off the ferry and jump on to a free tram within the CBD free zone, that has a lot of appeal too.”
Port Phillip Ferries will hold open days for the public tomorrow at Victoria Harbour from 11am to 3pm and on Saturday from 10am to 4pm.
* The two previous trials failed for relying on a single vessel (one a hovercraft, the other a hydrofoil), with just one commuter service per day: too inflexible.Edit (in 5 minutes)
* $125 for 5 days return? If i was going into the city i definitely would go by train at that cost. Not only is it cheaper, but you have a train every 20 minutes and don't have to travel the distance to Werribee South. With the extra traffic on Duncans Rd, you might not arrive home until 8pm minimum...no thanks!
* I am a resident in western suburb, some of the new established areas are far from stations, eg Werribee South. As population is drastically increasing, I do believe ferry could be an alternative to people live near coastal.
* So I can pay MORE to travel for LONGER than in the comfort of my own car and then when I get to Docklands I still have to get trams and walk to the office.
I reckon this concept needs a lot of work.
* A similar ferry in Sydney would only be approximately $11 return and take half the time for similar distance. (I presume the water conditions will rough to be so slow).
* Interesting not a cheap trip.
* An hour and 14 mins from Werribee Sth? Good luck.
* $20 return trip? when a train is $7, and not stopping at Williamstown? needs some work yet I'd reckon.
* Leave your car by the sea and watch it rust even quicker in just a few years.
* And parking at Wyndham Harbour will be where?
There isn't anything there now other than the parking for the residents so how will people get to the start point? Will they run a bus from Werribee station?
Will people just park in the housing estate and make Werribee council a heap of money in parking fines?
Great idea, but no planning on the start point.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... c1075121c3

All aboard. First CBD ferry service for western suburb commuters.
May 12, 2016 - Melbourne 'Age', Comments 27.
Ferry offers a cruisy commute to work.
Commuters in the western suburbs will have the option to avoid traffic to the CBD with Melbourne's first ferry service across Port Philip Bay.
Western suburbs residents will soon have an alternative to the West Gate Bridge peak hour traffic crawl to reach the city.
Starting next week, Melbourne's first commuter ferry service will begin a two-week trial from Wyndham Harbour, a housing development in Werribee South, to Victoria Harbour in Docklands.
Passengers will disembark near the NAB building, on the corner of Bourke Street and Harbour Esplanade.
The Wyndham Explorer will ferry people from Wyndham to Docklands. Photo: Joe Armao During an eight-week trial, a single service will depart from Werribee South at 6.40, arriving at the Docklands terminal just before 8.00.
The return trip leaves Docklands at 17.40.
The ferry will run to a different schedule on Saturday and Sundays – with the boat leaving Wyndham Harbour at 8.30 and returning at 16.00.
Cafe and Wi-Fi facilities will be offered on the catamaran, which is 35 metres long and seats 400 people.
Tickets are $20 return, a reduced price for the trial.
The first timetable for the trial ferry service. Photo: Supplied The Port Phillip Ferries service is an initiative of the Little Group, a company founded by former Essendon chairman Paul Little.
It offers an alternative to driving around Port Phillip Bay and across the West Gate Bridge – a trip that can take up to two hours during peak hour. The delays have lengthened recently due to road widening works on the Tullamarine and CityLink.
Mr Little said many people living in the booming western suburbs left the region every day to go to work in the city.
"With growth in local employment unable to keep pace with record population growth, many residents are required to work in and around the CBD," he said.
"As such, there is a pressing need to explore all transport options and this ferry service proves the most efficient and cost effective."
A ferry from the western suburbs has long been promised, but the Little Group's trial represents the most advanced plan to date.
Open days are being held for passengers at Docklands on Friday until 15.00, and on Saturday between 10.00 & 16.00m.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/first ... otend.html

The trial has been met with much scepticism:
* Too expensive (compared with a Sydney - Manly ferry).
* Too slow.
* What happens when the bay is rough?
* My own: too limited, one per day and inflexible.
Attached (to the next post):
160513F Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - Wyndham Explorer.
160513F Melbourne 'Age' - Wyndham ferry.

The ferry 'Wyndham Explorer' had open days at Docklands on Fri.13 & Sat.14.6. I went on Saturday. It is 'Capricornian Dancer', one of five based at Gladstone (Qld) for transporting workers to an offshore mine construction.
The crew have all been leased from the company for the 8 week trial.
There was a steady flow of visitors in small clusters, with no queueing. About five staff members were present to answer questions.
At this stage, there is no relaxation of the Yarra speed limits, but the company is confident that the trials will provide the evidence to allow that.
There is no coffee bar yet, but one is planned.
There is parking at the Werribee South marina for 200 cars, with overflow space up the road for another 250.
Over recent days, the vessel has been conducting sea trials, and has also docked at Williamstown and at Station Pier.

Melbourne Express: Monday, May 16, 2016.
7.54: The first Wyndham Ferry arrives at Docklands - passengers say 'it was like being on holiday'.
7.52: Melbourne's first commuter ferry service has set off from the western suburbs, with about 60 passengers and officials enjoying a spectacular sunrise over Melbourne.
The service between Wyndham Harbour in Werribee South and Docklands is being trialled for eight weeks and, if successful, could be expanded with more regular services.
The catamaran left Wyndham Harbour at 6.40am and is currently winding its way up the Yarra.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbo ... ovs85.html

Sun rises on Melbourne's first commuter ferry.
May 16, 2016 - Melbourne 'Age'.
Commuters enjoyed a speculator sunrise over Melbourne. Photo: Luis Ascui The sun has risen on Melbourne first commuter ferry service.
For the first time, the Port Phillip Ferries catamaran quietly departed from Wyndham Harbour for Docklands before dawn on Monday.
About a dozen commuters plus many more officials and staff enjoyed a speculator sun rise over a silhouetted city – complete with hot air balloons gliding among the skyscrapers.
The trip, which began at the Werribee South housing estate at 6.40, marked the start of a three-month trial, an initiative of former Essendon chairman Paul Little and his company, Little Group.
Little Group operations director, Murray Rance, said he hoped that two or three return services would eventually run each morning and afternoon.
The journey currently takes about 70 minutes, but the Little Group is seeking permission to travel faster through the mouth of the Yarra River, cutting down travel times.
While many of those on the Monday-morning ride were officials (including Paul Little himself), there were a group of genuine commuters dotted amongst the mostly-empty cabins.
Most said there were seeking a less-stressful commute.
Karen Bourke, from Wyndham Harbour, leaves home at 6.40 each morning to get to work in Brunswick.
As the catamaran entered Victoria Harbour at Docklands, her daughter sent her a text of her overcrowded train. Karen sent back a picture of the sunrise.
"I drive over the West Gate Bridge on to the Tullamarine and some of my commutes can be 1-2.5 h," she said.
A return trip to Wyndham Harbour will depart Docklands at 17.40.
A return ticket for the trial costs $20 – a price that is likely to increase to $25 to $29 for permanent services.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sun-r ... ovtx3.html

Updated as:
Sun rises on Melbourne's first commuter ferry.
May 16, 2016 - Melbourne 'Age'.
Melbourne's first commuter ferry: Wyndham Harbour to Docklands Stuck in traffic? Going over the West Gate Bridge? Try going under it on Melbourne's new ferry service.
The sun has risen on Melbourne's first modern commuter ferry.
The Port Phillip Ferries catamaran quietly departed from Werribee South for Docklands before dawn on Monday.
The journey marked the start of an eight-week trial, which could evolve into a permanent service, and possibly be expanded to other parts of the CBD if speed limits are eased along the Yarra.
Commuters enjoyed a speculator sunrise over Melbourne. Photo: Luis Ascui The ferry's maiden voyage left the Wyndham Harbour housing estate at 6.40am, while it was still dark and when the traffic was already beginning to thicken on the Princes Freeway.
Thirty commuters plus about 30 officials and staff enjoyed a speculator sunrise over a silhouetted city – complete with hot air balloons gliding among the skyscrapers. There were 30 passengers on the 5.40pm return trip to Wyndham.
The ferry is an initiative of former Essendon chairman Paul Little and his company, Little Group.
CBD worker Lisa Faldon, said the ferry would be "a much nicer experience" than the train. Photo: Luis Enrique Ascui Little Group operations director Murray Rance said, in the future, two or three return services could run between the western suburbs and Docklands each morning and afternoon.
The journey currently takes about 70 to 74 minutes, but Port Phillip Ferries is seeking permission to travel faster through the mouth of the Yarra River, cutting down journey times.
The ferry can travel about 27 to 28 knots (50-52km/h) through Port Phillip Bay, but is restricted to 10 knots and 5 knots when it hits the Yarra.
The ferry prepares to pass under the Bolte Bridge. Photo: Kuis Enrique Ascui "We're confident with talking to the authorities we can take 10 to 15 minutes off that time," Mr Rance said.
"That allows us to run that second service from say 7.15, to get in at just after 8.00".
Many of the approximately 60 people on Monday's maiden voyage were officials, including Paul Little himself and a councillor candidature in full campaign mode.
The Wyndham Explorer moored in Victoria Harbour on Monday. Photo: Luis Enrique Ascui But there were also a group of genuine commuters dotted amongst the sparsely-populated cabins.
Most said there were seeking a less-stressful commute. CBD worker Lisa Faldon, who usually takes the train, said while she probably would not save any time on the ferry, it would be "a much nicer experience".
As the catamaran entered Victoria Harbour at Docklands, Wyndham Harbour resident Karen Bourke received a text from her daughter with a photograph of an overcrowded train. She sent back a picture of the sunrise.
Passengers record the ferry's first regular trip. Photo: Luis Enrique Ascui Ms Bourke said she normally leaves home at 6.40 each morning to get to work in Brunswick, but now intends to ditch her car, and take the ferry and a train instead.
"I drive over the West Gate Bridge and out the Tullamarine Freeway and some of my commutes can be an hour to 2½ hours depending on what happens," she said.
graphic
Commuters on the trial ferry service form Werribee to docklands enjoyed a speculator sunrise over Melbourne.
Click for more photos
Tide turns for commuting by ferry
All aboard the first commuter ferry Photo: Luis Ascui Commuters on the trial ferry service form Werribee to docklands enjoyed a speculator sunrise over Melbourne.
Early morning commuters board the new trial ferry service from Werribee to the Docklands.
Michelle Goodwin aboard the ferry from Werribee to Docklands.
Paul Little boarding his ferry from Werribee to Docklands. The ferry is an initiative of the former Essendon chairman and his company, Little Group.
First commuters aboard the new ferry from Werribee to Docklands.
Commuter Lisa Faldon.
Early morning commuters on the first service of the new ferry between Werribee and Docklands.
Early morning ferry servicing commuters between Werribee and the Docklands.
The new Wyndham Explorer ferry arrives at Docklands.
View of Melbourne's ferry terminal on the Yarra in the late sixties near the now demolished Gas and Fuel Corporation Towers, Flinders Street, Melbourne.
The Williamstown ferry was made redundant by the Westgate Bridge, seen in the early stages of construction in the background.
Stoking the boilers on the Williamstown ferry in 1970
The St Kilda - Williamstown ferry in 1990: The first run for the summer of the 'John Batman' ferry on the St Kilda to Williamstown ferry service. Photo: Andrew De La Rue.
View all 14 photos
By the end of the trial, the Little Group hope "hundreds" of the 400 seats on the ferry will be taken.
"We know it will be a slow build up," Mr Rance said. "It's difficult to change people's habits.
"I think [the key thing] is giving people confidence it's going to be a reliable service, and not just something that is happening intermittently."
A return trip to Wyndham Harbour departs Docklands at 17.40.
A return ticket for the trial costs $20 – a price that is likely to increase to $25 to $29 for permanent services.
Taking the train from Werribee to the CBD and back costs $7.80 for a daily, full-fare adult ticket.
There have been commuter ferries in Melbourne before, including between Port Melbourne and Williamstown, but this is the first service of recent times.
Poll: Would you consider taking the ferry from Wyndham Harbour to Docklands?
Yes. This will save me from the morning crawl over the Westgate. 37% Maybe. It will depend on price and convenience. 52% No. I'm happy with my current routine. 11%
2633 votes so far.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sun-r ... ovtx3.html

The Melbourne hovercraft:
https://twitter.com/aussiewongm/status/ ... 5736953856
www.intown.com.au/historic/the-hovercraft-courier.htm ('Courier', 1986-late 1980s).
The Melbourne hydrofoil ('Spirit of Victoria' 1985 - short lived).
https://uglyships.wordpress.com/2010/03 ... f-victoria
Attachments
160513F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-WyndhamExplorer.jpg
160513F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-WyndhamExplorer.jpg (145.45 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
160513F-Melbourne'Age'-WyndhamFerry.jpg
160513F-Melbourne'Age'-WyndhamFerry.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
160222M-MelbourneHeraldSun-WyndhamMarina.jpg
160222M-MelbourneHeraldSun-WyndhamMarina.jpg (161.16 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
Last edited by Roderick Smith on Wed May 18, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roderick Smith

Re: Melbourne Docklands - Wyndham Harbour ferry

Post by Roderick Smith »

Four photos taken during the Sat.14.5.16 open day.

Roderick
Attachments
160514Sa-P1060252-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg
160514Sa-P1060252-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg (246.46 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
160514Sa-P1060254-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg
160514Sa-P1060254-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg (254.95 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
160514Sa-P1060255-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg
160514Sa-P1060255-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg (293.73 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
160514Sa-P1060256-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg
160514Sa-P1060256-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg (227.63 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Three more from the Saturday open day.

Roderick
Attachments
160514Sa-P1060260-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-wheelhousebridgeRSmith-sss.jpg
160514Sa-P1060260-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-wheelhousebridgeRSmith-sss.jpg (219.41 KiB) Viewed 12303 times
160514Sa-P1060258-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-mainsaloon-RSmith-sss.jpg
160514Sa-P1060258-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-mainsaloon-RSmith-sss.jpg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 12303 times
160514Sa-P1060259-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-deckplansRSmith-sss.jpg
160514Sa-P1060259-VictoriaHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-deckplansRSmith-sss.jpg (285.5 KiB) Viewed 12303 times
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Only seven passengers on Wyndham-Docklands ferry on third day of trial.
May 18, 2016 Wyndham Leader.
Only seven people used the Wyndham-Docklands ferry on its third day of service. Picture: Tony Gough.
THE operators of a ferry service running from Wyndham to Docklands are confident it will succeed, despite only seven people getting on board the 400-seat catamaran today.
Port Phillip Ferries operations director Murray Rance said the company expected patronage to improve over time. The service launched on Monday with 57 passengers “This week was always going to be slow, it’s the first week” Mr Rance said.
“Our research has shown it takes time for people to change their habits and we think it will happen.”
Mr Rance said they were working with authorities to address speed restrictions and improve facilities on the ship.
The few passengers on board today were eager for the service to succeed, but were concerned with the cost and the speed.
Restrictions on the Yarra River means the 31km trip takes 75 minutes. During passenger trials tickets cost 13 one-way and $20 return.
Demand for the service hasn’t been overwhelming. Picture: Tony Gough Sanctuary Lakes man Andrew, who did not want his last name printed, said he enjoyed the experience.
“It’s going pretty quick now but it’s a shame they have to slow down by the river,” he said.
The commuter, who normally drove to Albert Park, said the service was a bit pricey and wasn’t as fast as he hoped.
“It’d be great if it (the trial) worked though,” he said.
Price (too expensive) 45.14% (520 votes) Speed (takes too long) 38.72% (446 votes) Frequency (only one service) 7.29% (84 votes) Distance to Wyndham Harbour 4.51% (52 votes)
Other: 4.34% (50 votes)
Total Votes: 1,152
Hoppers Crossing woman Andrea Vollbrecht, who works in Docklands, said she was sick of battling the lengthy traffic every day.
“I love it, it’s nice to relax with a view and I really want it to succeed, ”she said.
She bought a 10-trip pass and said she wanted to see Wyndham Council support the venture more.
Port Phillip Ferries owner Paul Little previously said that he hoped locals would try the service out before judging it.
He said he hoped people would consider it as a more comfortable alternative to the busy road and rail systems.
The ferry trial will continue for the next seven weeks.
* The River Cat works well in Brisbane because it's a city divided by the Brisbane river and the same applies for Sydney where the city is built around Sydney harbour.
* It would be great for this to work, but it needs to be quicker and link it so you get a daily Myki as well and it suddenly becomes viable.
* Reduce the trip to 45 mins and the boat will be full! Make a return ticket $10 then Mr Little will need to get three more boats!. If this pricing is not viable then the government should subsidise the ticket price. Hell they wasted a billion dollars on the east west link so surely this is a cheap option and more environmentally friendly than building more roads or rail.
* $20 to go to work, no thanks
* Wait till the weather blows up.
* In Brisbane we love the City Cats who are a great drawcard for commuters and tourists. In some sections of the river between stops they really have got some get up and go. But of course the weather is a bit different up here where standing at the front feeling the warm breeze is a delight. I can imagine on a fresh winters day with sleeting rain and a howling wind from the south the joy of it all on Port Phillip Bay and the creek they call a river..
* Urgently need additional services to Mornington Peninsula and surrounding areas!!
* One would think with the way our mad premier is throwing our money about, subsidising fast ferries all around the bay would make perfect sense. Would be cheaper & faster than road or rail. Maybe a future visionary Liberal government could consider such a proposal.
* maybe they could. Let's see, they could invest several billions of taxpayer dollars into something that would, according to their own infrastructure reports, indicate only a $0.47 in the $1 return on investment over the life of the project and would only improve things for a minute amount of travellers.
Oh hang on, that was their own findings on the E-W link....
Sure let's build more Liberal party white elephants.
* Or how about imaginary Labor Party white elephants (ie. nothing) for $1,100,000,000.
* Some promotion re route, stops and timetable would be of great benefit.
* "Capricornian Dancer"? I propose to change the name to "Ferry McFerryFace". That'll attract the customers.
* They need to link Portarlington as soon as possible. Tourism will help offset it, not to mention the amount of people on the Peninsula that commute to the CBD.
* Give it time, it will work. It's a great option for people who want to work or relax on their daily commute, rather than being stuck in traffic.
* cost in relation to speed is a factor. Find a way to cut that down by half and it will be popular
* The government needs to support this to help with the traffic woes. Lift the speed in the river for the ferry service.
* It's not worth getting the ferry, unless you work within close walking distance from where the ferry docks in the city. If you have to catch another mode of transport cause it's too far to walk, your better off sitting in your car on the Westgate car park.
* Why? Where it drops you off is a short walk to Trams (free).
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west ... cc9c84ad7b

First-day scenes: Aboard; at Wyndham Harbour; the special badge. Mon.16.5.16. (Roderick Smith)
Attachments
160516M-P1060254-17.40MelbourneVictoriaHarbour-WyndhamHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RBSwithdayonebadge-RSmith-ss.jpg
160516M-P1060254-17.40MelbourneVictoriaHarbour-WyndhamHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RBSwithdayonebadge-RSmith-ss.jpg (288.13 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
160516M-P1060314-WyndhamHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmithss.jpg
160516M-P1060314-WyndhamHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmithss.jpg (283.77 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
160516M-P1060313-WyndhamHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith-s.jpg
160516M-P1060313-WyndhamHarbour-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith-s.jpg (211.87 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
160516M-P1060317-PortPhillipFerries-dayonemementobadge-RSmith-sss.jpg
160516M-P1060317-PortPhillipFerries-dayonemementobadge-RSmith-sss.jpg (229.67 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

On Wed.26.5, a group of 20 friends rode the 17.40, then bus and train back to the city. They reported perhaps 20 commuters.
I am on the email list, so here is the newsletter from this week.

Roderick
Attachments
PortPhillipFerries-ss.jpg
PortPhillipFerries-ss.jpg (200.2 KiB) Viewed 12059 times
tranzitjim

Post by tranzitjim »

To me, catchment area is very important.

It would be a great advantage to increase its catchment area by stopping off at Point Cook on its way past.

Also, they really needed to start up with more ferries, and at least an hourly service. An half hourly service would be a great advance too.
paulf

Post by paulf »

tranzitjim wrote:To me, catchment area is very important.

It would be a great advantage to increase its catchment area by stopping off at Point Cook on its way past.

Also, they really needed to start up with more ferries, and at least an hourly service. An half hourly service would be a great advance too.
There is only one thing stopping this from being successful and that is the speed limit in the Yarra.It takes almost 40mins from Docklands to the Breakwater at Williamstown and visa versa.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

The Port Phillip Ferries website and Facebook page are now advertising that all travel this Friday, June 10, will be free.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

Instead of Wyndham, could a ferry to Drysdale, Portarlington, Sorrento, Rosebud, etc be more successful. Somewhere there is no train or other decent PT links to compete with?
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Maybe it could attract more patronage if they ran a free shuttle bus as part of their fare around the area to get them to the ferry

Venturatger
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Point Cook doesn't have a suitable jetty, yet. The existing one is nearly derelict, and is tucked behind RAAF Williams. In doing the market research, the company found that most people wouldn't use a bus to the ferry; they would rather drive. Part of the convenience of the ferry is that people don't have to drive on the current choked roads to get across the freeway to stations where the carparking is full very early. If the current trial is a success, the aim is for a second ferry and a better timetable. I'll be chatting with the project manager again tomorrow (Friday): I travel to Werribee for lunch at Racecourse Hotel, then the 14.13 bus to Wyndham Landing, for the 16.13 ferry back to town. I advised him last time to put on a cart refreshment service (coffee and pastries up in the morning, beer and cold savoury snacks down in the evening). That wouldn't have to wait for the planned conversion of a luggage rack to a kiosk.

Roderick
paulf

Post by paulf »

The speed limit on the Yarra will NOT be lifted,and if they were allowed to increase there speed on the Yarra they would only save about 10 mins each way which is not a great saving.The better option in first place was Station Pier but Little and Doyle wanted Docklands.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Yesterday was Free Ferry Friday. Now the Sanctuary Lakes Golf Club is offering two return ferry trips as part of its winter Golf Pass. https://www.sanctuarylakesclub.com.au/a ... ership.pdf This expires August 31. Does this mean that service will continue somewhat after the original 8 week trial?
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

August 31 is the end of winter and would be the end of the golf deal. The ferry tickets are just a small bonus and I don't think this suggests anything about the ferry.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

I don't know on what authority Paul F can be so dogmatic that the speed in the Yarra won't be lifted. The company was quite optimistic that the speed would be raised. This was dependent on proving low wake, and high visibility for the very few rowing vessels which go downstream of Victoria Harbour. Using Station Pier as a terminus was a contributing factor for the earlier two ventures to fail. It may be that the scale of ferry should have been Sydney or Brisbane Rivercat: trade off wave capability with river speed.

Today's news, fares have been lowered to match the train: $3.90 single; $7.80 return; $39 ten trip. There is still no coffee/crossant or beer/nibbles facility.

I did ride on Friday, with 200 passengers, on the afternoon inbound run. So far, the heaviest patronage has been for the Sat. & Sun. morning inbound, afternoon down, with locals using it as a tourist service.

Roderick
paulf

Post by paulf »

Roderick Smith wrote:I don't know on what authority Paul F can be so dogmatic that the speed in the Yarra won't be lifted. The company was quite optimistic that the speed would be raised. This was dependent on proving low wake, and high visibility for the very few rowing vessels which go downstream of Victoria Harbour.
Trust me the speed on the Yarra won"t be lifted.Little has to prove that the vessel won"t cause any wake issues at higher speeds and they have been unable to do that.
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Again,
How can you be so dogmatic that they have been unable to do that? I don't trust anyone without established credentials.
Perhaps a Brisbane or Sydney river cat would have been a better call for wake, but possibly not for reliable operation in bay conditions. They would also have had the advantage of a smaller crew.
Even at low speed, a large cargo vessel makes a significant wake; all that this smaller one has to achieve is to be lesser.
I did ride the free day. I didn't check the wifi quality. There was no point checking the wake, as we were at current speeds. My complaint remains the lack of a snack/beverage service. That doesn't require the construction of a buffet: a trolley suffices. I have been in UK trains where trolleys supply packaged savouries, pastries & confectionary, hot beverages, and beer wine spirits.
On a 50 km commuter run (Zurich - Einsiedeln), SOB has a half-carriage snackbar serving pastries & coffee inbound in the morning, and ham rolls & beer homeward in the evening. That could give the ferry an edge even if it remains slow.
The wake issue appears to be worries about the effect on the continuous rock-rap walling: similar walls withstand complete ocean onslaughts, and those at St Kilda and Wyndham Harbour. Most of my boating is on Murray River, where wake damage causes bank erosion and hence the falling of river red gums. The worst offenders are personal watercraft and wakeboard boats (neither of which are banned or face speed limits); next worst are family waterskiing boats and fishing tinnies. Much slower are paddlesteamers and houseboats. Surprisingly, the least wake comes from high-speed competitive waterskiing boats. I do measure these from my river-cruising boat, and know what to avoid and when.
I remain optimistic that the speed limit will be raised for either this ferry or for a successor type. Unless a ferry service can reach Docklands, it is doomed.
The further problem is the lonely Wyndham terminus: a long drive in the wrong direction for the population being served. A wharf facility at Point Cook has to be a priority. The one behind the RAAF airfield is derelict, and access is a problem. For this trial, positioning some Parks Victoria pontoons could offer a demonstration of what a permanent design could achieve.

Roderick
paulf

Post by paulf »

Roderick Smith wrote:Again,
How can you be so dogmatic that they have been unable to do that? I don't trust anyone without established credentials.Even at low speed, a large cargo vessel makes a significant wake; all that this smaller one has to achieve is to be lesser.

I remain optimistic that the speed limit will be raised for either this ferry or for a successor type. Unless a ferry service can reach Docklands, it is doomed.

Roderick
Well Roderick I don't care if you don't believe me but my source is A1.

As for the wake I suggest you go down to the Yarra at Yarraville or somewhere along there and watch a 250 meter plus container ship or tanker go pass and see the wake or lack of it ! These vessels are deep draft and leave less wake than a smaller river ferry .
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Undoubtedly, the 6/9 kn limit is unnecessarily low for a river of that width, with rock lining. It has been set to match management convenience, and not reality. Glenelg River is narrower, and has a 10 kn limit for much of the navigable length, and that is a river where kayaks are frequent. The wake is far more of an issue on Murray River, with unlined banks, and higher speeds are allowed.
I wasn't measuring speed in the four Swiss canals along which I travelled recently: narrower even than the Glenelg; likewise the canal linking into Lake Wellington (Vic.) and the run up La Trobe River (unlined).
Enclosed: disappointing results for trials, Portarlington to be trialled next.

Roderick
Attachments
160617F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Wyndham_ferry.jpg
160617F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Wyndham_ferry.jpg (206.56 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

An upbeat advertorial on the ferry's future and prospects appears at http://www.victoriaharbour.com.au/news- ... news-ferry

It suggests a future capability to remove 3000 people from the West Gate and a 45 journey time in 'coming months'.

Despite the recent (June 23) date of the article the 'key information' refers to an old timetable.
Forget crowded trains and traffic jams - commuting to Melbourne CBD from the western suburbs just got a whole lot easier with the launch of Port Phillip Ferries’ newest passenger ferry service between Wyndham Harbour, Werribee, and Victoria Harbour, Docklands.

KEY INFORMATION

A single service currently departs from Werribee South at 6.40am, arriving at the Docklands terminal just before 8am. The return trip leaves Docklands at 5.40pm. The ferry runs to a different schedule on Saturday and Sundays – with the boat leaving Wyndham Harbour at 8.30am and returning at 4pm.

Swap peak hour traffic for stunning bay views and cruise to work in style on the beautiful 35m catamaran vessel, which seats up to 400 passengers and runs Monday-Friday for the work day commute, as well as Saturday and Sunday for weekend adventures.

It’s commuting like you’ve never seen experienced before and the perfect way to start your workday – catch up on emails, enjoy a coffee and read the paper whilst watching the sunrise over a silhouetted city.

While currently in trial mode (with tickets at a reduced price of $7.80 return), the ferry service is a long term initiative deigned to support the local community and provide commuters with a sustainable alterative to driving or taking the train, tram or bus. With more and more passengers jumping on board, the new service hopes to remove 3000 people from the West Gate Bridge within five years.

With Wi-Fi and café also available, passengers are finding the one hour trip flies by and there are plans to reduce this travel time even further to 45 minutes over the coming months.

During the planning phase, Wyndham City Council said it takes cars up to one hour and 40 minutes to travel into the CBD during the morning peak, and that they’d welcome any service designed to improve lifestyle and liveability in Wyndham.

And it looks like the new ferry service is doing just that – providing commuters with a more efficient, sustainable and stress-free travel experience.

Grab your trial pass today and enjoy the calm, fresh sea air on your next commute.
tranzitjim

Post by tranzitjim »

Perhaps, one idea could be to have the ferry stop at Station Pier, on its way to/from Docklands, and not as a terminus?

You increase the catchment, you would attract Werribee to Port Melbourne travellers, and who knows, you may also attract one or two for Port Melbourne to Docklands also??

The Whyndam vale route needs an increase in frequency. You need to match the time of a passengers forward journey, just as much as you need to match the return journey of the same passenger. A breach in either, and you fail.

Having said that, the Portarlington route service, could stop at Whyndam harbour on its way, providing an increased frequency between there and the city.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

tranzitjim wrote:
The Whyndam vale route needs an increase in frequency.
I didn't realise Wyndham (not Whyndam) Vale was on the coast, or that it had a ferry.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

A new timetable has come out with trips added.

There are now three trips each way on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays as follows.

WYNDHAM HARBOUR TO DOCKLANDS
Depart Arrive
Monday and Thursday 7:10 am 8:20 am
4:00 pm 5:10 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 7:10 am 8:20 am
10:00 am 11:10 am
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am 11:10 am

DOCKLANDS TO WYNDHAM HARBOUR
Depart Arrive
Monday & Thursday 10:00 am 11:10 am
5:50 pm 7:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8.30 am 9.40 am
11:30 am 12:40 pm
5:50 pm 7:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am 12:40 pm
5:35 pm 6:45 pm

In addition, as advised at http://www.portphillipferries.com.au/do ... -fireworks there's additional Friday evening trips in July/August.

Schedule
Times
Ferry departing Wyndham Harbour 4.30pm
Arrive in Docklands 5.40pm
Entertainment commences 6.30pm
Fireworks commence 7.30pm
Depart Docklands 7.45pm
Arrive Wyndham Harbour 8.55pm
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

With disappointing commuter numbers, the ferry is moving towards the tourist / special events market. There will also be a passenger carrying trip from Portarlington on July 29.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... f8f832c45b
Struggling Port Phillip Ferries commuter service could take tourism turn

JOHN MASANAUSKAS, CITY EDITOR, Herald Sun
July 20, 2016 6:24pm

MELBOURNE’S new commuter ferry trial could be turned into a tourism service amid continuing poor patronage on weekdays.
Port Phillip Ferries will review fares on its Wyndham Harbour to Docklands service, and next week will hold a one-day trial of a route between Portarlington and Docklands.
Owned by prominent businessman Paul Little, the ferry started running in May with hopes that traffic congestion in the western suburbs would fill the 400-seat catamaran with eager commuters.
However, the company’s operations director Murray Rance said that despite fares being slashed to match the price of a train ticket, passenger numbers for daily services were disappointing.
“It gets into double figures but certainly not enough to sustain a service,” he said.
Mr Rance said there had been encouraging feedback from locals for the Portarlington trial, which will take about 88 minutes from the Bellarine Peninsula to Docklands.
“We’re just hopeful that people embrace this because you’ve got to have bums on seats, you just can’t run this thing empty,” he said.

The ferry service is owned by prominent businessman Paul Little (right). Picture: David Caird
The Portarlington trial will be held on Friday July 29 with a $25 adult return fare, $10 for children aged 15-18 and children under 15 free.
Mr Rance said that the Wyndham Harbour ferry service was more popular on weekends and the company had done well with special trips to the Werribee Zoo, while timetables were being considered to cater for retirement villages.
Special services from Wyndham to the Friday Docklands Fireworks start on Friday and will run to August 26.
Port Phillip Ferries is conducting so-called wave and safety trials on the Yarra River in a bid to convince authorities to increase the current 6-10 knots speed limit for its vessels.
The company is also due to brief the Andrews Government on the overall progress of the venture over the next few weeks.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/new ... 78c70f6b07
Ferry trial: Portarlington to Melbourne trip to take 90 minutes and cost about $25 return

Claire Martin and Jemma Ryan, Geelong Advertiser
July 21, 2016 2:00am

AFTER years of lobbying from Bellarine locals, a passenger ferry trial from Portarlington to Melbourne will start next Friday.
The trip is tipped to take about 90 minutes and cost about $25 return.
The service will be operated by Port Phillip Ferries, the privately­ run passenger ferry service that this year began a service between Wyndham Harbour near Werribee and Victoria Harbour at Docklands.
Port Phillip Ferries oper­ations director Murray Rance said the trial service would probably run mid-morning.
“It will run from Portarlington to Docklands and return. People will be invited to register their interest and we’ll provide some information on the website,” he said.
“The feedback from the local community down there has been very strong so we’re actually responding to them.
“(Bellarine MP Lisa) Nev­ille, prior to changing portfolio, asked us if we would run the trial and we’re doing that.”
Mr Rance said if the trial was successful, the company would consider scheduling more test runs, but in order for it to succeed people needed to “jump on board”.
“It needs the people to support it — given the lobbying we’ve see it’s a real opportunity for success,” he said.
“We get the feeling for locals versus the trains and the fact that we can get to Docklands in 88 minutes, it will be a good offering. We’re working on the speed in the Yarra (River) and if it’s successful we’d like to think we can enter in discussions with relevant authorities to take up to 15 minutes off the time.”
Ms Neville said the trial was a significant step.
“As local member I am very supportive of a future ferry service to Melbourne and of course the State Government has committed $15 million for the current construction of the Portarlington Safe Harbour that includes provision for a future­ ferry,” she said.
“It is exciting to see trials taking place and I look forward to PPF’s feedback to government in the coming weeks.”
The company recently had to cut fares for the Wyndham Harbour and Victoria Harbour service because of low passenger numbers.
Mr Rance said they would get feedback from those who attended the July trial and relay that to the government.
“Within the next two to three weeks we’ll be having a discussion with the government on how things are progressing.”
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

I'll be quite interested to see how the Portarlington - City route performs. Being a local to the Portarlington area for 20 years of my life, it's been something that's been spoken about for quite a while. If they can shave off fifteen minutes off the trip time and bring it back to just over an hour, I can see it performing very well given that it's almost an hour and a half to drive from Port to Melbourne.

Thanks,
Mitch :)

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”