**FAREWELL TO THE WELLINGTON STREET BUS STATION 11/01/2014**

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

**FAREWELL TO THE WELLINGTON STREET BUS STATION 11/01/2014**

Post by Mr OC Benz »

For those who are interested, on Saturday 11/01/2014 a farewell will be taking place for the Wellington St Bus Station which after 40 years will be closing and after this date, will gradually be demolished with temporary facilities to handle buses at Wellington St and Roe St until the new underground bus station opens in 2016.

This event is being organised by the Bus Preservation Society of Western Australia Inc. (BPSWA) using a few historic buses of the fleet of relevance to the old bus station. A few re-enactment routes and photo opportunities around the bus station and surrounding suburbs will occur. Further details will be announced closer to the date.

Members of the BPSWA, other bus enthusiasts and those who are not members, but are interested in this farewell are welcome to join in this outing and farewell a significant piece of infrastructure for public transport.
1497777_678431945528213_669520751_n.jpg
1497777_678431945528213_669520751_n.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
Last edited by Mr OC Benz on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
laptop15

Re: Wellington St Bus Station Closure / Farewell (11/01/2014

Post by laptop15 »

Exciting month ahead! Cant wait!
leopard800

Post by leopard800 »

awesome ill be there
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

More details needed please, Mr. OCB
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I don't have much else at the moment. Members of the BPSWA are still finalising details. Most likely a morning start with a few re-enactments in and out of the Bus Station which is the main focus of the day. Last chance to get photos of the bus station active and a chance to ride a few preserved buses in and out of the precinct to nearby suburbs.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Count me in if the date doesn't change
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Transperthpaperbus

Post by Transperthpaperbus »

ADX666 wrote:Count me in if the date doesn't change
The date won't change due to the Roe Street Bus Station starting operation the very next day. I will in it and will bring the family along as well.
Looking to getting more Transperth bus, train and ferry models made up through Transit Graphics.
Currently driving for The Transporter & Buswest Wangara.
Mr OC Benz

FAREWELL TO THE WELLINGTON STREET BUS STATION - 11/01/2014

Post by Mr OC Benz »

***COPIED FROM BPSWA FACEBOOK PAGE***
See here for the original post including some photos: https://www.facebook.com/BPSWA/posts/68 ... id=6866178

FAREWELL TO THE WELLINGTON STREET BUS STATION – MEDIA EVENT AND MEMBERS OUTING

11th January 2014 is the last full day of operation of the forty year old Wellington Street Bus Station. South of the river bus services cease using the Wellington Street Bus Station this week and remaining services finish on 11th January. They will use new temporary bus stands near Roe Street whilst the Wellington Street Bus Station site is redeveloped as part of the Perth City Link project.

To commemorate forty years of the bus station and farewell it in style, our Society is bringing three preserved buses into the bus station on Saturday 11th January 2014. The event is being arranged in conjunction with the Public Transport Authority (PTA) which is putting out a press release and holding a media event. This will provide the PTA with another opportunity to inform passengers of the service changes and will give our Society much needed publicity and exposure.

Final details are yet to be decided and will not be known until we have met with the PTA Media and Operations people at the bus station on Wednesday 8th January. However, at stage we envisage that three buses will be at the bus station at 09.30 for the media event, which will be followed with photography of the buses at various stands within the bus station. After that, each bus will re-enact a service that operated from the bus station.

Buses earmarked for the event are:-

AEC Regal VI MTT 654
Hino RC520P MTT 83 – which masquerades as Hino Yellow City Clipper 933
Mercedes-Benz O305 MTT 339

Several tentative programmes for the day have been prepared and we will post it once available. Colin Davison has prepared commemorative notes that will be handed out on the day.

Members are encouraged to come to the bus station and be part of the media event and travel on the buses. Once finalised with the PTA, details will be published here and on the BPSWA Facebook page.

We look forward to seeing you on 11th January 2014.
actually

Re: **FAREWELL TO THE WELLINGTON STREET BUS STATION 11/01/20

Post by actually »

End of line for city bus station
The West Australian
KENT ACOTT The West Australian
January 4, 2014, 10:51 am

End of line for city bus station.
Another chapter of Perth's public transport history is about to end, with the Wellington Street bus station just days away from demolition.

The first bus services will be relocated to the Esplanade Busport tomorrow, with the last bus leaving the 40-year-old terminus late next Saturday.

The station will be demolished and replaced by the new underground Perth Busport.

_The Weekend West _ has learnt that the busport will rely on a "dynamic bus allocation" system to handle about 50 per cent more buses.

The system is similar to airport gates. It monitors buses as they approach the station and allocates them a stopping stand.

This information is communicated to patrons in a waiting lounge.

The technology has been a success in the Christchurch Bus Exchange and the Kamppi Terminal in Helsinki, Finland.

The Wellington Street bus station, or the Perth Central bus station, as it was first known, was opened by premier John Tonkin on March 2, 1973.

It was built to provide a terminus for bus routes to Perth's northern suburbs and to eliminate the need for bus stops on inner-city streets.

Bus Preservation Society of WA spokesman Nicholas Pusenjak said a significant feature of the station was the level crossing over the Fremantle railway tracks, as a bus-only extension to Fitzgerald Street.

"This enabled buses from the northern suburbs to access the bus station without having to travel via Sutherland and Wellington streets," Mr Pusenjak said.

"This was a boon for time-keeping and reduced journey times for passengers significantly as Sutherland Street and the West Perth subway were major traffic bottlenecks before the Mitchell Freeway was extended."

Next Saturday the society intends to re-trace some of the routes with original buses.

From tomorrow, bus routes 30, 31, 34, 213, 220, 881 and 940 will stop at the Esplanade Busport instead of going to Wellington Street.

From next Sunday, remaining services operating from the Wellington Street bus station will move to a temporary station on the Roe Street side of the Perth City Link site.

There is an old photo in the article too. Not my photo, don't know who owns it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
900 series

Post by 900 series »

the west wrote:The first bus services will be relocated to the Esplanade Busport tomorrow, with the last bus leaving the 40-year-old terminus late next Saturday.
I thought it would stay open in a reduced capacity until the 26th for Beaufort Street services during the CBD works - have I missed something?
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Yes, the temporarily diverted services will use WSBS until the 26/01/14, but as these are not true routes that permanently serve WSBS, the last official services that will make the switch will be after 11/01/14 when they move to Roe St.
High Floor Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Olden Holdens
Location: Sitting behind a wheel thingy where all the lights & switches are.

Post by High Floor Bus »

Interesting photo that shows the HSB end circular walkway, knew of it but never seen it before .
The whole World is going to "HELL" And I'm driving the Bus!
Go ESSENDON for 2022
Proud owner of Preserved Merc Benz O405 679,688,689,691 &1101& Renaults 602 626 647 & 1119
Dennis96

Post by Dennis96 »

Interesting photo that shows the HSB end circular walkway, knew of it but never seen it before.

Took it specially for ya, Gav. Forgot about the eastern spiral access ramp which disappeared when they built the footbridge across to William Street. 333 was there for a changeover of Clipper drivers.

I wonder how many poor sods bought or started businesses at the bus station over the years only to see them fall by the wayside?
Passengers must not talk to Driver
Dennis96

Post by Dennis96 »

Was it still Skipper Bailey or Skipper Mitsubishi then?
ozi_mister_d
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305 UQB-171

Post by ozi_mister_d »

Is there likely to be a cover charge or donation to use the one or all of the BPSWA re-enacted "services"?
Michael
TP-1120 was the last bus I drove for Metrobus, Saturday 27th June 1998.
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

Yes, I'd very much like to go too. I won't mind joining the association if that is a prerequisite. Just let us know how that is being handled. Regards, Tom.
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
Dennis96

Post by Dennis96 »

wayfarer wrote:Yes, I'd very much like to go too. I won't mind joining the association if that is a prerequisite. Just let us know how that is being handled. Regards, Tom.
Nobody's discussed fares or costs for participants. With the weather forecast tipping 40 degrees, I don't know how prudent it would be to try and run an extensive programme of tours after the media event in old non air-conditioned buses. Both from the well being of the buses and passengers/drivers. The buses are always there for re-enactments in milder times. Nevertheless, the media may want to go for a ride in an old bus, - I suspect the Yellow City Clipper will be the drawcard there. Maybe we play it by ear on the day.

BPSWA buses are not licenced to carry fare paying passengers or be operated for hire and reward outside the confines of Whiteman Park, so a "fare" as such will not be charged. Donations are, of course most welcome, - the costs of restoring, fuel, licence, insurance, repairs of old buses are immense not to mention the other costs of running a society like BPS. Furthermore, donations of $2 or more are income tax deductible. So let Tony Abbott help subsidise your love of buses!

Its probably more important to encourage bus enthusiasts to join BPSWA, as the more members the Society has, the better its credibility is when seeking sponsorship from Government and corporate organisations. They always want to know how many members and what is the spread of ages. If you join now which is the second half of the BPSWA year, your membership will be carried through to 30th June 2015. $40 for adults and $30 for those on a pension or students/children.

Furthermore, by being members you can influence the organisation into providing the services or attractions that YOU want. The Australian Railway Historical Society's (Rail Heritage WA) motto is "For All Who Are Interested in Railways" and I'd like to think that BPSWA is "For All Who Are Interested in Buses". Having said that, those on the BPSWA Council of management have undertaken a huge work load with the many aspects relating to the Society. All are volunteers and many of us have other interests and passions, plus family/work/other commitments. So some fresh blood is needed and BPSWA needs people to organise events, re-enactments or simply meetings where people can get together to talk buses, play with buses or watch pictures/videos/movies of buses. And new members may well include people that are willing to organise outings or activities where we can all enjoy the preserved buses. Much better than having them sit in a dark shed and regular use does more good than harm.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

I'd recommend a hat and plenty of fluids (possibly sunscreen too) as it is forecasted at 41 degrees.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

For those looking at coming to the Wellington St Bus Station (WSBS) farewell on Saturday being organised by the Bus Preservation Society of WA (BPSWA) in conjunction with the Public Transport Authority (PTA), just a few details that have been finalised. (Or skip to the end and just read in summary).

For those who want to be there for photos and the posing of the buses at WSBS, as well as throughout the media event, we recommend arriving around 9am. To make good use of sunlight, the buses will be parked along A Road Lay Over bays beneath the gum trees for photos. This will only be for about 10-15 minutes from around 9:15-9:30 as this will be causing disruption to scheduled services on Saturday. As well as the normal services using WSBS for the last time, services which arrive in the City via Beaufort St Bridge are now terminating at WSBS also. This means that traffic volume at WSBS will be much higher than a normal Saturday.

After they are posed for photos, the buses will be moved elsewhere around the bus station (including C Road) for the PTA and Media such as TV, newspapers etc from about 9:30am.

After the media event in the morning, subject to weather and traffic conditions, there will be mini tours in and out of WSBS on the preserved BPSWA buses. These will start from about 11am and include a close retracing of the Yellow City Clipper, a short trip west and a short trip north. All enthusiasts and BPSWA members are welcome to hop on board. Providing everything runs smoothly throughout the day, this will conclude around 2-2:30pm at which the remaining buses still out will return back to depot. Due to numerous road closures around the City this Saturday, some re-enactments may be slightly altered to the original plan. The volume of traffic congestion is likely to also be high and this may affect our schedule.

Due to licensing conditions and regulations, we are not charging fares for the outings on the buses, but the BPSWA kindly welcomes any donations that anyone wishes to contribute to the ongoing maintenance and restoration of preserved buses in WA. Donations over $2 are income tax deductible. If you are not a member of the BPSWA, consider joining on Saturday. It is $40 for adults and $30 for pensions, students/children. If you join now, your membership will also be carried through to 30th June 2015.

Please remember that as the bus station will still be active on Saturday, and with a higher than normal amount of bus services using the facility, please respect other people and observe all the typical conditions of use/entry at the bus station and be aware that representatives from the PTA, BPSWA and various media organisations will be there! Please take it easy on Saturday, it is going to be a very hot 44 degrees, so I hope everyone will be prepared in some way to handle the heat throughout the morning and mid-afternoon.

So just to summarise it up.

9am - Be at WSBS for photo opportunities involving the preserved buses and WSBS.
9:30am - Media Event
10-10:30am - Media Event subsides
Around 11am - First trip on the enthusiast's outing departs.
2-2:30pm - Enthusiast's outing concludes and buses return back to depot.

A thin two A4 page double sided pamphlet detailing the WSBS farewell including a brief history, some photos and the outline of the day will be available on Saturday.

We all look forward to seeing everyone there on Saturday!
ozi_mister_d

Post by ozi_mister_d »

I would like to say THANKS to the team from BPSWA for bringing:

AEC Regal VI MTT 654,
Hino RC520P MTT 83 (which masquerades as Hino Yellow City Clipper 933),
Mercedes-Benz O305 MTT 339, and
Transdev for Mercedes Benz O305G UQB670, to WSBS this morning.

Childhood memories of riding 654 between Perth and Nollamara came back to me, as we did laps of WSBS, for the media.
The re-enactment of Red Clipper route - in an Yellow Clipper - was as good as the real thing 35, or more, years ago. The only "stop" missing was the one outside Boans. :lol:
(at the photo stop on the Terrace, a lady waiting for her bus said to me, she hasn't seen "one of those" for a long time).

I will post some photo's, as soon as I can reduce their size suitable for the forum.

Thanks again to everyone involved.
Michael
drpeps
Favourite Vehicle: UQB605 & TP1044

Post by drpeps »

Looking forward to you photos ozi_mister_d, and lots of others as well.
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

Well there was a waste of a day. was supposed to be a ride from 339 at 1:30. waited till 1:45. no show. nice one.
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
ozi_mister_d

Post by ozi_mister_d »

ozi_mister_d wrote:I would like to say THANKS to the team from BPSWA...
I will post some photo's, as soon as I can reduce their size suitable for the forum.
Some photo's, as promised, of the display buses on "A" road, WSBS.
I took nearly 200 photo's, and will post more as editing time allows :shock:
Attachments
on A road WSBS 11 Jan 14
on A road WSBS 11 Jan 14
AEC Regal VI 1BPS654.jpg (290.46 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
on A road, WSBS 11 Jan 14
Hino RC520P 1CTU350.jpg (272.07 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
Mercedes Benz O305 MTT339.jpg (265.75 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Mercedes Benz O305G UQB670.jpg (265.52 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Michael
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Many thanks to all those who came to the Wellington St Bus Station, either just for the photo shoot / press or to do some trips in the preserved buses. Many thanks to the volunteers and employees of the Public Transport Authority of Western Australia, Bus Preservation Society of Western Australia and Transdev Western Australia for helping to contribute and piece together a great (but hot) day. A strong turn out of over 40 people for the initial photo shoot, plus another 30 who soldiered on throughout the day, although as the day went on, the numbers started to decline! But nevertheless, thanks to everyone for making it a great day!

As my time is limited right now, here is a quick video of the four buses that were used on the day passing along A Road at Wellington St Bus Station.
ozi_mister_d

Post by ozi_mister_d »

busdriver12 wrote:I watched Ch. 9 news last night and was disappointed there was no coverage of this event.
I only saw Ch 7 there...but apparently ABC was supposed to be there too, but didn't show.
Michael

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”