Give way to merging bus: Signs now with green car

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

Herb, I've only seen that kind of sign ONCE in my enitre life. If my memory serves me correctly, it was on a Merc (can't remember which one :cry: ) on the rear, RHS corner of the bus, but it also had the usual sign, with Merc O.305/-G in TeePee livery, positioned on the rear window as per usual. I was only 9 years old at the time and the bus was parked 50 metres or so, northwards from the Causeway depot.

Like I said, I wa sonly 9 at the time, so not everything I have said is 150% accurate. :oops:
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

Herbert wrote:I've just found reference to the fact that the original "Thank You" (for letting the bus pull out) signs, which incorporated the MTT split arrowhead logo, were first used from October 1978. I'm fairly sure this pre-dates the "Bus Bay Give Way" legislation.

Here's a photo taken in 1978 of one on the back of either Hino 932 or 933 (ie a Yellow City Clipper)
Interesting... I cant 100% recall when the Give Way sticker was introduced in Sydney, but I am damned sure it was early 1980s. I note today that some Private charter-only bus companies do not put he give-way sticker on the backs of their buses. :( I have also had one driver at the company I work for question the validity of using bus lanes with our buses as well as carrying standing passengers on school hirings. This driver, in my experience as a user of public transport, a gunzel, and a fellow bus driver, does not know his backside from his head! :lol:

As far as I am concerned, on the subject of Bus Lanes, I will use them unless marked Tway, and I will, if required, carry standing passengers unless directed by my employer or the NSW MoT not to do so. :!:
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

@Leopard Lover, re bus lanes.

If you are driving a bus then feel free to use the bus lanes, B lights or anything else for buses unless ofcourse they state for "State Transport Authority Vehicles only" or "STA Buses Only". If its just marked "Bus Lane then its open market.

In Adelaide when I started to drive the Adelaide Tour I use to use bus lanes and B lights to get to and from the depot aswell as when on the tours. I only ever had one driver (from Southlink) challenge me saying I couldnt use the route bus stops, bus lanes or B lights as I wasnt a Metro Bus. This argument was short lived as I pointed out that I can as I am driving a bus and that I dont use those that have signage saying "Metro Buses" only.

One good example is in the afternoon peak hour at King William st/ North tce. The right turn lane from King William st into North Tce can go right back past Hindley st at times so for buses a right hand turn B light was installed. Buses wanting to turn right stay in the curb lane and when they get the regular green light they move forward and stop across the intersection, once the lights go red a B light comes on and 2 or 3 buses can execute a right hand turn across the entire intersection in safety and with no hassle from other traffic. This also helps in reducing delays to services.

Anyhow the last tour around Adelaide came through this area during the use of this B light and I use to make use of it on tour. I never had any issues with the other route operators who also used this turm as we all got along pretty well.

Another turn I liked to use was the U turn at the River Torrens Parade ground on King William st, although this was for "Metro Buses Only" I was able to use it a few times when the KW/ Nth Tce intersection was to slow, I'd continue the tour down to the parade ground, make the U turn then head up to Nth Tce to turn left and 9 times out of 10 would be infront of traffic that were stuck at the lights when I commenced the extension. Never had any problems using that either.

B lights & Bus Lanes are there to make bus driver jobs a little easier and services a little more reliable, if it helps you then use them.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
cpt-mud

Post by cpt-mud »

the problem is 2 fold.
1. there is a doulbe negitive in the law. i will find the actual wording and post it, but it states on 1 line that a car must give way to a merging bus, but it says see section 2b. section 2b states that a bus may not merge from a bus bay unless it is safe to do so.

if a car does not give way then it is not safe to merge from a bus bay

2. How many times has this law been policed. I have made inquires from some police friends, and to their knowlage, they havnt heard of a single case where a car has been booked for failing to give way to a merging bus, but bus drivers have been booked for neg driving for merging in a unsafe manner.

If this part of the law could be policed more often, maybe people will start to give way to busses. We can only hope
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

cpt-mud wrote:the problem is 2 fold.
1. there is a doulbe negitive in the law. i will find the actual wording and post it, but it states on 1 line that a car must give way to a merging bus, but it says see section 2b. section 2b states that a bus may not merge from a bus bay unless it is safe to do so.

if a car does not give way then it is not safe to merge from a bus bay

2. How many times has this law been policed. I have made inquires from some police friends, and to their knowlage, they havnt heard of a single case where a car has been booked for failing to give way to a merging bus, but bus drivers have been booked for neg driving for merging in a unsafe manner.

If this part of the law could be policed more often, maybe people will start to give way to busses. We can only hope

That's kinda like saying to someone:

"You may smoke, but only as long as you don't exhale."

Cheers!
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!

Return to “General Transport Discussion”