Bus Observations 2024.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Bus Observations 2024.

Post by Swift »

Why oh why oh why does Busways INSIST on broadcasting FM radio on (some of?) their Central coast services? I wanna hear the turbine charged MAN diesel spinning the driveline, not top 40 hits from the late 2000s. Rude driver didn't respond to a hello when boarding. Did utter something when I said thanks though.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

743 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:26 pm
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:32 am Has the area that now makes up region 2 even had a network review since the 2008 region 2 and region 15 network reviews
Not all at once, but there have been incremental changes, such as the introduction of routes through Oran Park (840, 858, 896); modifications to Smeaton Grange services (897); modification & introduction of routes to Gregory Hills & Gledswood Hills (841, 850, 898, 899); routes introduced and diverted via Leppington line train stations (855, 856, 859, 861, 868, 869); renumbering of Menangle & Razorback routes (47 & 49 now just 49); frequency enhancements on some routes (e.g. 887); modifications to Spring Farm services (893, S17); changes to Eagle Vale services (877, 878); withdrawal of some services (e.g. S9) and so on. The network now is quite different to how it was in 2008.
The S17 is just a renumber of the Busways era Narellan-Camden via Spring Farm 893 which could of been apart of the 2008 review the Campbelltown-Narellan 893 and the S17 started with the Busabout region 15 contract
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:41 pm Why oh why oh why does Busways INSIST on broadcasting FM radio on (some of?) their Central coast services? I wanna hear the turbine charged MAN diesel spinning the driveline, not top 40 hits from the late 2000s.
Sounds as though the bus is equipped with an FM radio and the driver has chosen to use it, although my preference would be to quell everyone's temper with ABC Classic :lol:
Swift

Post by Swift »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:34 pm Sounds as though the bus is equipped with an FM radio and the driver has chosen to use it, although my preference would be to quell everyone's temper with ABC Classic :lol:
I wonder how the driver would react if I requested it be turned off? I wanted to record the engine but that ruined it.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:25 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:34 pm Sounds as though the bus is equipped with an FM radio and the driver has chosen to use it, although my preference would be to quell everyone's temper with ABC Classic :lol:
I wonder how the driver would react if I requested it be turned off? I wanted to record the engine but that ruined it.
First world problems :roll:

Never getting my life back after wasting 5 seconds, no wonder people leaving in droves
MiCCROwavE_OVEN

Post by MiCCROwavE_OVEN »

I wanted to film a video onboard a MAN 18.320 Custom CB80 last time but the driver was listening to the radio; and ditto but onboard a Scania K230UB. Both vehicles do sound nice (to me at least), although just like with music tastes, the sound of a bus engine isn't everyone's cup of tea.

On the topic of Scanias, Busways R1 2487ST (2487) broke down on a 12M to Tallawong earlier this evening - reportedly its engine stalled but it was soon back up and running. This is the first incident I've heard of regarding a Scania K280UB breaking down.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Hopefully you guys find an opportunity further down the line. Doesn’t have to be today.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Swift

Post by Swift »

BAMBAM wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:20 pm
Swift wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:25 pm
First world problems :roll:

Never getting my life back after wasting 5 seconds, no wonder people leaving in droves
You talk about first world problems while complaining about losing 5 seconds. You may not care but plenty of like minded people do. I swear bus enthusiasts are among the y most judgemental lot. Sounds like they are compensating for being subject to plenty of judgement by others.
Arceus2
Favourite Vehicle: TSA Metrobus Volvo B12BLE 2220

Post by Arceus2 »

MiCCROwavE_OVEN wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:47 pm Squashed desto blinds seem to occur with almost every operator - while most are caused by the flipdot program being applied to a bus with LED destination displays, Busways 3044 is unique as it has the Custom CB80 LED program applied instead. The displays on the Custom CB80 are a bit narrower than other vehicles hence the squashed blind.

Something more uncommon is the LED program being applied to a flipdot vehicle - I have a picture of CDCNSW Region 4 m/o 9505 with such an issue, where the route number and destination didn't show up on the destination blind properly; fortunately for commuters this issue has long since been rectified.

On a side note, I took a ride on the 553 from North Rocks to Beecroft today - absolutely empty. It's a shame that the Oakes Road interchange isn't connected as well as it should be; from what I've seen most people use it as a 'park and ride' style interchange. With the driver shortage in Region 7, I'd be surprised if the route isn't altered or axed with the opening of the upcoming Metro.
(I might add, the driver was going 40 the whole way and still rocked up at Beecroft five minutes early - after departing from the first stop two minutes late.)
Jumping to this, I've seen both an LED file on a flipdot display, and vice-versa... (they were swiftly fixed). And apparently the Mobitec on some buses like 2763 ST and 2777 ST (may be a few more) will only accept the CB80 files so their destos are always a little squished.
destos.jpg
Sydney, home of STA :( and Sydney Trains (formerly CityRail).
Arceus2

Post by Arceus2 »

Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:00 pm ^ When the bus is stationary and the rear engine bay door is open, the engine normally becomes inherently isolated and disabled from being activated. This purpose of this safety function is to prevent injury to a staff (presumably a mechanic). When a mechanic is working in the rear engine bay, the engine cannot be switched on from inside the drivers cabin. The engine can only be switched on from within the rear engine bay with an on/off switch and/or button configuration.

When the fuel door opens on a CNG powered bus whilst the it is in motion, the entire bus shuts down automatically. The purpose of this power isolation function is for when buses have being refueled, the bus is not driven away from the bowser with the fuel hose still attached to the bus.
Also on this, I had a gas flap swing open on me while making a left turn once (panel being on the right), wondering why I suddenly lost all power (including the dash). Had no power steering either so had to wrangle a safe stop before ringing radio room and investigating. Check your fuel covers before you leave depot (yes, there are reports of diesel spills too)!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

THis seems to have been an ongoing problem for years. Disappointing that the staff concerned don't bother to check the display after uploads.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
MiCCROwavE_OVEN

Arceus2 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:11 am Jumping to this, I've seen both an LED file on a flipdot display, and vice-versa... (they were swiftly fixed). And apparently the Mobitec on some buses like 2763 ST and 2777 ST (may be a few more) will only accept the CB80 files so their destos are always a little squished.
All of Transdev John Holland's Scania K280UB Bustech VSTs have the squashed destination issue - not sure about the K310UBs. That picture of 3104 looks quite interesting - I've never seen one that small before but it still seems readable.

On a side note, I was looking at buses on Anytrip again and there was a 2 to Stanwell Park tracking as 9760/MO9946, Mercedes L0814 Denning DENNING. A quick search on the fleetlists shows that 9760 is a brand new MAN 19.330 Volgren Optimus (delivered 2 months ago) while m/o 9946 was Busways 601, still listed on the fleetlists as being at Mulgrave Depot, suggesting said vehicle has since been retired. I've never seen a Mercedes L0814 before so I don't know if they were even equipped with Opal readers or used in revenue service.

1075 is an even newer MAN 19.330 Volgren Optimus and tracks as 4379MO, a Mercedes O405 ex Toronto Bus Service and CDCNSW (and possibly an ex-King Bros unit too?) And 6994 tracks as a Mack PR1002 Volgren CR228L when it is instead a Mercedes O500LE.
Noel

Post by Noel »

The issue with the likes of 3104 is the ICU403 controller not accepting a file over a certain size, so whoever is loading just finds a file that’s small enough resulting in the side desto not working (or stuck on the previous desto) and front desto squished.

It’s frustrating for those who care about the legibility of this stuff.

The issue with the Scania VSTs is slightly more complicated though.
Arceus2

Post by Arceus2 »

MiCCROwavE_OVEN wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:24 pm
Arceus2 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:11 am Jumping to this, I've seen both an LED file on a flipdot display, and vice-versa... (they were swiftly fixed). And apparently the Mobitec on some buses like 2763 ST and 2777 ST (may be a few more) will only accept the CB80 files so their destos are always a little squished.
All of Transdev John Holland's Scania K280UB Bustech VSTs have the squashed destination issue - not sure about the K310UBs. That picture of 3104 looks quite interesting - I've never seen one that small before but it still seems readable.

On a side note, I was looking at buses on Anytrip again and there was a 2 to Stanwell Park tracking as 9760/MO9946, Mercedes L0814 Denning DENNING. A quick search on the fleetlists shows that 9760 is a brand new MAN 19.330 Volgren Optimus (delivered 2 months ago) while m/o 9946 was Busways 601, still listed on the fleetlists as being at Mulgrave Depot, suggesting said vehicle has since been retired. I've never seen a Mercedes L0814 before so I don't know if they were even equipped with Opal readers or used in revenue service.

1075 is an even newer MAN 19.330 Volgren Optimus and tracks as 4379MO, a Mercedes O405 ex Toronto Bus Service and CDCNSW (and possibly an ex-King Bros unit too?) And 6994 tracks as a Mack PR1002 Volgren CR228L when it is instead a Mercedes O500LE.
Haven't seen any problems on the K310UB Bustechs as they have Hanover displays. I'm told their Hanover DG3 controllers are smarter, not accepting files with the wrong size and format.

I can also note that 3104 ST does indeed have a Luminator ICU 403 which seems functionally identical to the Mobitec ICU 402. Some other Bustechs have had their 402s replaced with 403s, even some Scanias like 2781 ST. You can also see ICU 403s on buses on which have most likely had their ICU 400s die, though I haven't seen desto problems with them since they're all flipdot displays which I assume is a smaller file. In terms of usability though, nothing beats the ICU 400s which you can change without looking...
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways Glendenning 1672 on the Penrith Route 794 but tracking as 3922 M/O3922 on tripview

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

Word on the streets is that a fleet of buses is possibly about to migrate from either Busways Ryde depot and or Willoughby depot to Glendenning for the unbelievable purpose of running the 545 service.

There is also a possibility that Ryde might supply drivers on an ongoing basis for the Bankstown railway contract due to insufficient new drivers being attracted to the job.

Go figure ..
Swift

Post by Swift »

Here's a radical (for them) solution, treat the employees fairly and stop automatically believing complaining passengers and getting drivers in trouble all the time.
They plainly prefer to be short of drivers than ever entertain that.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

stajourneyman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:52 pm
There is also a possibility that Ryde might supply drivers on an ongoing basis for the Bankstown railway contract due to insufficient new drivers being attracted to the job.

Go figure ..
U-Go Mobility are already advertising for drivers for the Bankstown line work, so wouldn’t be surprised if this is true.
Swift wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:55 pm Here's a radical (for them) solution, treat the employees fairly and stop automatically believing complaining passengers and getting drivers in trouble all the time.
They plainly prefer to be short of drivers than ever entertain that.
Not only better pay but better work conditions like no split shifts would be a start.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

BAMBAM wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:22 am
Not only better pay but better work conditions like no split shifts would be a start.
No split shifts as a rule is ridiculous, and is not (to my knowledge) supported by any union (and never has been). There is an accepted need for them in an industry dominated by peaks. I have always found split shifts very workable, make more money thanks to the penalty rate and get the day free to run errands, work around the house, etc etc
Living close to where I work helps with this, and I’m not suggesting that everyone should feel the way I do. But there are a large number of people at my depot who feel the same way, and to remove them not be very unpopular. The best way to manage split shifts is to have a separate roster for them so people who want them get them, and people who don’t want them don’t get them.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Premier Illawarra M/O497 seen at Kfc at Penrith Panthers.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Stu

Post by Stu »

All contract region bus companies have permanent rosters otherwise there would be absolute chaos with rostering.

All shifts that cannot be allocated onto the respective permanent roster will be allocated to the holiday relief roster. This is where new drivers and recently transferred drivers will experience the full gamut of shift types, some drivers will obviously not like certain shifts that they are rostered.

In addition to the above comments, broken shifts also serve the purpose of having buses return back to the depot after the morning peak for planned maintenance, work undertaken by external contractors, cleaning and me mandatory mechanical inspections by TfNSW heavy vehicle inspection officers.

The other advantage of having a bus return back to the depot after the morning peak is so buses are available for charters that are hired by local schools on sport days or for school excursions to venues. Charter work can be rostered into an already existing shift which makes it longer (pays more) or the charter can be given out as overtime during the broken shift break - pays more for the driver although costs more to the company.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:22 am
BAMBAM wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:22 am
No split shifts as a rule is ridiculous, and is not (to my knowledge) supported by any union (and never has been). There is an accepted need for them in an industry dominated by peaks. I have always found split shifts very workable, make more money thanks to the penalty rate and get the day free to run errands, work around the house, etc etc
Living close to where I work helps with this, and I’m not suggesting that everyone should feel the way I do. But there are a large number of people at my depot who feel the same way, and to remove them not be very unpopular. The best way to manage split shifts is to have a separate roster for them so people who want them get them, and people who don’t want them don’t get them.
People have their preferences but lots of new drivers leave because of split shifts, among other reason too. Maybe a separate roster would work but they’ll probably be too much things to factor to make it work.
Stu wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:02 pm All contract region bus companies have permanent rosters otherwise there would be absolute chaos with rostering.

All shifts that cannot be allocated onto the respective permanent roster will be allocated to the holiday relief roster. This is where new drivers and recently transferred drivers will experience the full gamut of shift types, some drivers will obviously not like certain shifts that they are rostered.

In addition to the above comments, broken shifts also serve the purpose of having buses return back to the depot after the morning peak for planned maintenance, work undertaken by external contractors, cleaning and me mandatory mechanical inspections by TfNSW heavy vehicle inspection officers.

The other advantage of having a bus return back to the depot after the morning peak is so buses are available for charters that are hired by local schools on sport days or for school excursions to venues. Charter work can be rostered into an already existing shift which makes it longer (pays more) or the charter can be given out as overtime during the broken shift break - pays more for the driver although costs more to the company.
Good for the business operations of split shift, but not good for the individual. This is one of those situations you’ll never please anyone.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

stajourneyman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:52 pm

Go figure ..

https://www.busnews.com.au/u-go-mobilit ... west-link/

U-Go Mobility to provide services for Southwest Link

TIARNA CONDREN

The new Southwest Link service will not be impacting U-Go Mobility's regular route services in region 10

U-Go Mobility has announced they will be providing drivers and services for Southwest Link during the upcoming final Metro conversion of the T3 Bankstown Line.

Buses will be providing a limited stops service between Bankstown and Sydenham, starting between July and ​October 2024 and will operate for up to 12 months.

The new Southwest Link service will not be impacting U-Go Mobility’s regular route services in region 10.

“We’ll be doing our bit to help the community of south west Sydney get to where they need to go during what will be a difficult 12 months when T3 Metro conversion works get underway,” the announcement reads.

U-Go Mobility are also recruiting bus drivers to work the Southwest Link service, urging people to apply here: u-gomobility.com/careers/

Maybe this will be the first of other companies going to pitch in with Transit Systems.
MiCCROwavE_OVEN

The Southwest Link is clearly based off the Station Link project - with the exception of how the vehicles will be operated and the route structure. From what is on the Transport NSW website all three routes will operate 7 days a week allowing for multiple stopping patterns. The proposed frequency is also impressive - between 2 and 4 minutes during peak times, which would make it Sydney's most frequent bus route (although how they propose to deal with the traffic is what I'm waiting to find out!).

Something else interesting is that in the above article U-Go Mobility announces they will be "providing drivers and services". Services in this context likely doesn't mean extra vehicles, but if it does that will be quite interesting. Notably around 200 drivers and 100 buses are said to be required but the existing contract with Transit Systems only seems to have yielded 60 new diesel buses - perhaps the remaining 40 will come from another operator.
Linto63

Re: Bus Observations 2024

Post by Linto63 »

As noted on the Sydney Metro thread, Transit Systems will be responsible for 75% of services so presumably will be operating buses from its existing fleets as well as the 60 new purchases. The recent introduction of some Custom Denning Elements into service will have freed up some buses.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”