What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by scott »

Kids on school holidays who are incapable of behaving in a civilised manner in public, mostly teenagers, I saw a security guard marching a kid out for riding a bike inside a busy shopping centre.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

That goes for young adults too. So many swear like it's breathing and carry on like rock stars just for being young. Egotistical jerkoffs.
scott

Post by scott »

Yes, the young adults are just as bad, the tradies in particular.

They are seen regularly on my daily Maccas coffee run, and they are very rude to the Maccas staff. When they are told they can't get their Big Mac until 10:30 am, they go crazy.

My local neighbourhood cafe reopened under new ownership this week, and the new owner has zero tolerance for rude people. I will be going there 1 or two mornings a week where my schedule allows, before my morning commute.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Australia Post to halve two thirds of nothing by dropping yet another letter delivery day while shifting more focus to its for-profit parcel division while the Australian government looks the other way claiming that lovely 10% GST on the letters that were moved by the customer across to the next price bracket (parcels and/or express post) in order to be delivered five kilometres in less than a fortnight. "Snail mail" is an insult to snails at this stage.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

They're in the business of "delivery", not sure why letters are considered a separate division.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Profit is the only reason. The letter delivery service is provided by government-owned entity (not for profit, despite stamps being a ripoff), whereas the corporate entity is for-profit as the parcel division of Australia Post was privatised 30 years ago to allow competition in the parcel sector, probably around the time Telecom became Telstra and Optus (Singtel) entered the chat.

Instead of competition, the Australian Government stepped in with anti-competitive practices by making a law stating that no-one can undercut Australia Post's letter division, and that such a service must be no less than four times the letter rate (e.g. it must cost no less than four stamps). Naturally, rival companies can really only deliver parcels in Australia and not letters, even though a theoretical $4.80 (or $6) "letter" would be way cheaper than a $10+ "500g" parcel weighing 40 grams but not conforming to Australia Post's arbitrary letter dimensions (260x360x20mm) due to being thicker than 20mm (which is the real killer for most items, not the length and width).
scott

Post by scott »

Been watching Highway Patrol on 7Plus after not seeing it for a while.
The attitude of the people pulled up for mobile phone use, speeding and very unroadworthy vehicles absolutely stinks.

One of the episodes features a bloke with a Ford Econovan bought new in 1986, it was a bit of a jalopy and gets put off the road, another had a Holden Rodeo driven by someone on bail, that had bald tyres down to the steel and an ignition switch operated by pliers, complete with a subwoofer in the back and three unrestrained passengers.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Pus bucket Ostraya signing me out and having to log on.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Took an hour and twenty minutes to get from Victoria Pde (Melbourne city) to Ringwood at 10:30 last night via Melbourne's pathetic excuse of a public transport system.

Decided to get back before the footy crowds took over the city, but ended up stuck waiting about 20 minutes for a 906 bus that was originally due in 9 minutes according to the PID, then another 22 minutes at Blackburn Rd for the 901, which is normally scheduled about 8 minutes after the 906 gets there, but the 906 missed that connection by a country mile so I had to wait for the next one. My other "quick" option, having spent all of 10 seconds inside Parliament station beforehand looking at the next train signs, was to wait 28 minutes for a Lilydale train stopping all stations except East Richmond and then sitting (or more likely standing) on a packed train for about 50 minutes.

No extra public transport services provided for the footy. "Premium" "Smart" buses every 30 minutes after 8PM and still standing room only at 11PM, trains every 30 minutes and crush loaded (and stopping all stations), trams every 20 minutes and crush loaded, taxis charging triple figures to drive more than five kilometres from the CBD, cars are everywhere, and the Eastern Freeway is a semi-permanent 80 zone for three quarters of its length (at least it wasn't 40 km/h this time) while road project after road project after road project is done, all while freeway buses are timetabled to run at 100 km/h for several kilometres, never mind bus lanes being rezoned as parking lanes after dark (probably a relic from when the pubs closed at 6 and the buses finished ten minutes later).
scott

Post by scott »

The Victorian Government for investing 4.1 million to replace a scoreboard rather than funding cancer research in it's latest budget.

They certainly know where their priorites lie, remember when Dodgy, Dopey Dan sponsored a netball team for 15m before the last state election?
And also the Commonwealth Games fiasco which has plunged Victoria further into debt.
I know I listen to too much 3AW, but this Victorian Government cannot run a chook raffle, if they did, they would probably sell the tickets, but forget to order the chook.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

scott wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:13 am I know I listen to too much 3AW, but this Victorian Government cannot run a chook raffle, if they did, they would probably sell the tickets, but forget to order the chook.
Or maybe sell the chook a few times over, and forget to buy the tickets! :mrgreen:
Swift

Post by Swift »

You have to stop letting white anglos make transport decisions and get decision makers from Germany, France, Japan, Czech Republic or Italy to take over the reigns. Watch it improve in a week.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Ah yes, France, the country which brought us Connex and Transdev.

Is it just me, or has ABC News become just another Channel 7 lately? The website has stooped to Herald Sun levels of clickbait and sensationalist headlines which don't match the actual title, and TV news reports have become completely unprofessional, often simply using phones to talk to people, complete with pixelated and choppy "HD" video and wishy-washy "phone quality" VoIP audio like you used to get in 2007-era smartphone videos on YouTube. Back in the dim dark ages of the 2000s, at least people with hopeless 5/10/15 fps 240p webcams and smartphones actually tried to make the videos look somewhat presentable with the miserable computing hardware they had.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

I'm seeing "Top Gear Australia" ads in bus shelters (as opposed to the TV, as mine is never turned on for anything more than use of the DVD player!). Didn't we learn the first time that a bunch of Aussie knuckle-heads trying to rip-off the most-famous iteration of this show (with Clarkson, Hammond & May) was a complete basket case, like most Australian rip-offs of successful foreign TV series?

What's next, an Australian version of "Frasier" with some toff and his midlife crisis from Sydney's Eastern suburbs? :roll: :lol:
Heihachi_73 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:40 pmAh yes, France, the country which brought us Connex and Transdev.
:twisted:
Heihachi_73 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:40 pmIs it just me, or has ABC News become just another Channel 7 lately? The website has stooped to Herald Sun levels of clickbait and sensationalist headlines which don't match the actual title, and TV news reports have become completely unprofessional, often simply using phones to talk to people, complete with pixelated and choppy "HD" video and wishy-washy "phone quality" VoIP audio like you used to get in 2007-era smartphone videos on YouTube.
There's been a few glaring errors in stuff I've read on their website lately - if I do watch TV, I avoid ABC's news, as I do all news programs, because they choose the most annoying individuals to host or appear on the program, who have serious issues with mispronunciation or over-pronunciation of the English language, and nasally, whining, hissing voices (or some combination thereof). It's just an intolerable viewing experience.

Today there was an article describing the stratospheric rise of the illicit tobacco market due to Government taxation - yet several times we had contradicting figures on current rates of smoking, first it was around 8%, then they cite 12%, back to 8%, next time "decline in nicotine use has plateaued, if not rebounded". For goodness sake, how hard is it!? The other day was an article about a Transperth driver who'd had an altercation with some kid, where they bounced between the driver being "stood down" and "sacked". Again, how hard is it!?

I've noticed on ABC's website they must have something that changes the names of particularly "juicy" stories, to make you click on them again, thinking it's some sort of follow up report... Of course you find it's the same article you read days before. We're supposed to recycle plastic, not news stories, sheesh :roll:
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Merc1107 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:17 pm Didn't we learn the first time that a bunch of Aussie knuckle-heads trying to rip-off the most-famous iteration of this show (with Clarkson, Hammond & May) was a complete basket case, like most Australian rip-offs of successful foreign TV series?
If you have to ask, the answer is always no / nope. :lol:

What gives me the S&#T's as of late?

Ah well, coworker who is a full timer just about chucking a "sicky" every week, that means I'm having to cover their run and my run on the same day, management knows said coworker is full of CRAP, half does the job when their actually on the clock and I've got to pick up after their mess, yet is still able to retain their position / job with the company?

My employer recently issued an internal notice that mandates part-time and full-time employees to work their scheduled hours if they want to retain their full time / part time position unless they have a valid reason not to reach those hours. Considering this full-time coworker's numerous ongoing absences, it's puzzling why management doesn't reassign them to a casual role??? I mean they did it to another one of my coworkers who was only working on Weekend shifts as they were already working a second job (was first hired as Part time, they later dropped him to casual because he wasn't meeting the hours to be part time).

Last week, this same full time coworker I am currently complaining about, I asked them if they'd be returning the next day, got told by them yes so I return the work vehicle to their address (Full timer gets priority of the work van). Get a text message the following morning 15 minutes before 7AM it's another issue with them (sore back issues this time) can't come into work. I was livid given I live 40 minutes away from this coworker and I'd parked the work car the night before at my coworkers house. Gave management a piece of my mind on that one adding I won't be covering for said coworker if they personally ask myself from now on.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Is worthless bludger a relation or relation to a mate of the boss?
Should tell him what a useless waste of breathable atmosphere he'll always be.
scott

Post by scott »

Modern motor vehicles.

An old friend bought a current ex demo Mitsubishi Outlander, the new whiz bang generation.

It has rear AEB, which helps prevent one from reversing into something or someone, but when you put a trailer on, and try to reverse it, it slams on the brakes and won't go anywhere!!!!

The dealer was useless, the ultra thick manual had nothing useful in it, but google had the solution- disable the rear parking sensors using the buttons on the steering wheel and the dash display, this will allow the vehicle to move and the trailer to be backed, this has to be done each time the car is started as it goes back to default after the ignition is switch off.

Someone should write a book- Modern Cars For Dummies.
Swift

Post by Swift »

What about over zealous driver fatigue monitoring I've heard happens in Tritons just for checking for hazards slightly away from straight ahead.
It's like they add these features to justify jacking up the cost of a brand new vehicle and to claim it is safer.
scott

Post by scott »

My uncle's recently acquired ex demo Haval H6 has that driver fatigue monitoring, also intervenes if one has a medical episode while driving.
A recent quick drive in it reveals it will beep at you over absolutely everything.
He recently had the 10,000km service done, and they tried to charge him full price, he mentioned it was under capped price servicing and the service advisor got a bit cranky, a quick chat with the service manager, and the bill was adjusted in line with the capped price. Apparently it seems they invoice it at the non capped price, then apply a deduction to the invoice to bring it down to the capped price rate.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Big hard YES to the last three posts.

I’ll add though on the topic of driving, the flogs that decided that driver assistance systems like bloody LANE KEEP ASSIST needed to be a thing can get righteously stuffed. The more of these assists one has on their car, the less skilled they get in their ability to drive (part of the major reasons why a lot of people nowadays can’t drive for crap) They become too reliant on these, and then what hope do they have then when they have to drive any car without them?
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Should be outlawed. Our government are beholden to the car makers.
That disgraceful after sale support is like what you get from LDV I have heard. I'd want to strangle that bloke getting cross for asserting your consumer rights.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

On the topic of vehicles and all things automotive, my work-shifts keep getting changed around like clockwork so I've been leaving early in the morning to go to work & where most days are starting off with dense fog it's incredible how many cars I see driving without headlights on in the fog. First, I class these drivers as complete oblivious muppets (And they should wonder why other motorists doing the right thing get the s&#t's with them) and Secondly, it's mind-boggling that these cars can light up the dashboard when the car detects it's dark outside but can't figure out to turn on the headlights.

To use an old saying, we can put a moon on the moon but can't / still unable fix XYZ issue *sigh*.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.

Return to “The Lunch Room”