Information (Gross Combined Mass) for early Mercedes 0303 Bus

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Bus0303

Information (Gross Combined Mass) for early Mercedes 0303 Bus

Post by Bus0303 »

I'm really hoping someone can help me.

I own a 1979 Mercedes 0303 Medium Rigid Bus, which has been converted into a Motorhome.

My issue is this. The bus' compliance plates - both those issued by Mercedes for the chassis as supplied to a local Coach builder (Ansair), and the one affixed by the Coach builder itself, have no mention of a "Gross Combined Mass".

I know that these buses were intended to tow trailers. I also know that many effectively identical buses to mine were fitted with towbars and were towing substantial loads back in the day. In fact, mine actually has a towbar and solid mounting between the chassis rails at the rear, which has likely been there for 40+ years.

But there is zero documentation for it.

As things stand - and I've been told this by Mercedes Australia's rep - I am only able to tow a weight which falls within the bus' GVM envelope. Which means in effect, I am not able to tow anything of any real weight. (E.g. I've weighed the bus "as laden" when travelling, which came in at 14.5T. As a medium rigid bus, I therefore would only be able to tow 1.5T max. Effectively useless if I want to tow any car in a trailer).

What I need is some kind of documentation from Mercedes or someone else which I can take to an engineer, so he/she can affix a modification plate stating a "modified GCM".

What I'm hoping for is someone who can point me in the direction of a late 70s Merecedes 0303 which had a Gross Combined Mass noted on a compliance plate from new. If that person was happy to provide me that info. (chassis number and a photo of the CP), I could take that to Merecedes, and they could assess that against my bus' chassis number to see whether my bus could be issued an S3 mod plate to note a GCM.

Happy to provide chassis numbers etc. if that helps.

I've reached out to Mercedes in the past, to ask if they could search their records to see if they had a record of a bus similar to mine, which had a GCM nominated, so they might provide me with a document I could take to en engineer.

They aren't interested in doing that. Instead, they've put the onus on me to find a comparable bus with GCM nominated.

Hence this post.

Thanks in advance.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: Information (Gross Combined Mass) for early Mercedes 0303 Bus

Post by Guy_Arab »

need mec 303 manual and gearbox contact me
guy arab

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”