Bus Observations 2024.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Re: Bus Observations 2024.

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways 845 and 856 have emerged in Ozzy Car Sales Livery Joining 852 1095 and 1300 in Adverts at Penrith

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Stu

Post by Stu »

Transfers. Transit Systems West Region 6 Tempe Depot to U-Go Region 10.

4821, 4827 & 4828 to Revesby Depot.
4823 & 4829 to Taren Point Depot.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Transit Systems offloading all the Tatty buses

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:53 am Transit Systems offloading all the Tatty buses

Instantaneous scrapping programme required. Probably held together with office sticky tape and some donated chewing gum.
Linto63

Re: Bus Observations 2024

Post by Linto63 »

Sixty diesel buses from an unspecified Chinese manufacturer to be purchased for the Bankstown line shutdown. Will be Transit Systems, as opposed to TfNSW, owned.

Not ideal government admits as fleet of buses bought from China (Sydney Morning Herald)
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

My guess is this is either BCI or Yutong although I suspect It in the long run it will appear to be Yutongs we'll be seeing as Transit Systems already operates them, although as an electric variant as part of their ZEB fleet. on top of that, It does make perfect sense to order from an brand one would already have previous operating history on and already existing surplus of parts in the workshop.

Not saying I personally agree with their decision and since the cat is already out of the bag that the Bankstown shuttle buses are coming from China, might as well spill the beans as to who exactly the manufacturer is, not like hiding it is doing anymore good for this point. (Not that the general public would care anyway but it is a mark on companies reputation).
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The point is that they're cheaper from China.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Timeframe likely to have been a major consideration. Had Transit Systems been able to commission the 50 Custom Denning Elements it has in store that would have largely provided the necessary number of buses, that presumably is not likely to happen requiring a plan B.

TfNSW is stating that it has no ongoing commitment to the vehicles beyond the Bankstown line closure, but Transit Systems is unlikely to have entered into a contract to purchase buses without an end game plan. Sounds like the government may be trying to be a bit cute in trying to get around its no more diesel purchases policy, by keeping the buses off their books.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

I did vaguely remember reading that ACT Yutongs were made in China but fitted by Custom Denning, that might be in play here.
But overall, Labour ain’t doing themselves good here by not having these buses made in NSW, surely even if you split the order with Custom and Express Bus Builder it’s still being built in NSW. Chris Minns and Jo Haylen didn’t hear Express Bus plea’s for more work considering they’ve reduced their workforce with lack of orders and Custom Denning barely delivering anything to anyone.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

You could say this is exceptional and being bought as a once off for a special purpose, not for general fleet upgrade. Glad they're not stubbornly adhering to electric is be all and end all ideology.
All the same, even the U.S has or did have a buy American law that requires minimum local input to all buses bought there. Here, there doesn't seem to be much if any hurdles to ship complete buses over instead of purchasing from the local bus body building industry.
No, we just allow this already limited market to be undermined by el cheapo buses built by workers subject to a bowl of rice a day wages. We're like an African or South American economy now. No prestige in that.
Last edited by Swift on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I doubt that any manufacturer here would be able to go through all the ordering red tape here to even start manufacturing within 6 months months, let alone complete 60 within that time frame.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I'm assuming these buses will replace the ex BT Mercedes O500LEs and the remaining B12BLE Euro 3s once the shutdown ends.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I was in Crows Nest yesterday, and I noticed that the bus tops in Burlington St still have the J poles showing section numbers and stand numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) Information on apps refers to Stands A, B, C, etc.

I sent feedback to TfNSW about it and there was response was"
The bus stop signage is the responsibility of North Sydney Council (council).
For further information regarding the bus stop signage, you can contact North Sydney Council on one of the options below:

Becoming typical of TfNSW to pass the buck to councils rather than themselves or the operator. I though TfNSW supplied all the new blue B signage.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

One wonders if this move on diesel buses won't open the door for further diesel acquisitions (e.g. high capacity buses) until a viable electric or hydrogen alternative becomes available. Interesting the Government is trying to distance themselves from the move (given the number of stored electrics), but no doubt they are watching the reaction to this to plan a subsequent move.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

boronia wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:22 am I doubt that any manufacturer here would be able to go through all the ordering red tape here to even start manufacturing within 6 months months, let alone complete 60 within that time frame.
Just another slow and laziness from Transport for NSW, Transit Systems and the Government. They knew this was coming, both Transport for NSW and Labor knew from the moment they won power last year that they needed to order buses. Should’ve been ordered and bought since last year and not months prior to shutdown
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: Becoming typical of TfNSW to pass the buck to councils rather than themselves or the operator. I though TfNSW supplied all the new blue B signage.
Given that maintenance of footpaths and street furniture is the responsibility of local council, and each one probably has its own standards as to how they should be maintained, makes sense for TfNSW to provide the poles and signs and let the councils install, and fix when they are pulled out, rather than having to deal with 33 different sets of regulations. Once in the ground I would have thought it was the responsibility of either TfNSW or the operators to maintain the timetable information.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The general public is not going to be too concerned by who made them, the names would be meaningless.
The fact they will be diesel and made in China is enough to get detractors in a frenzy.
@ The Museum of Fire.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 am Timeframe likely to have been a major consideration. Had Transit Systems been able to commission the 50 Custom Denning Elements it has in store that would have largely provided the necessary number of buses, that presumably is not likely to happen requiring a plan B.

TfNSW is stating that it has no ongoing commitment to the vehicles beyond the Bankstown line closure, but Transit Systems is unlikely to have entered into a contract to purchase buses without an end game plan. Sounds like the government may be trying to be a bit cute in trying to get around its no more diesel purchases policy, by keeping the buses off their books.
According to the news, the buses will be part of their national charter fleet. I guess they might have an option to send the buses interstate in the future.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

stupid_girl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:28 pm
Linto63 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 am Timeframe likely to have been a major consideration. Had Transit Systems been able to commission the 50 Custom Denning Elements it has in store that would have largely provided the necessary number of buses, that presumably is not likely to happen requiring a plan B.

According to the news, the buses will be part of their national charter fleet. I guess they might have an option to send the buses interstate in the future.
Let’s hope the taxpayers didn’t pay for it then.
Stu

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:58 am I was in Crows Nest yesterday, and I noticed that the bus tops in Burlington St still have the J poles showing section numbers and stand numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) Information on apps refers to Stands A, B, C, etc.

For further information regarding the bus stop signage, you can contact North Sydney Council on one of the options below:

Becoming typical of TfNSW to pass the buck to councils rather than themselves or the operator. I though TfNSW supplied all the new blue B signage.
TfNSW are responsible for public transport related signage which incudes bus stops on local government property such as footpath & nature strip areas.

Local council are sometimes responsible for installing bus stops which are supplied by TfNSW, on other occasions a contractor will be appointed by TfNSW to install bus stops. An infrastructure installation guide created by TfNSW is used by the installer, the guide displays diagrams and measurements that need to be adhered to.

The bus company only maintains the physical bus timetable document insert and cleans and dirt/graffiti off from the bus stop. If the bus stop is in need of repair of replacement, the bus company reports this directly to TfNSW (the entity that owns the infrastructure).
Last edited by Stu on Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Will the B12BLE Euro 3s be replacing some of the O405NHs in the U-Go Fleet?
MiCCROwavE_OVEN

Post by MiCCROwavE_OVEN »

boronia wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:22 am I doubt that any manufacturer here would be able to go through all the ordering red tape here to even start manufacturing within 6 months months, let alone complete 60 within that time frame.
Volgren managed to deliver 120 buses to CDC Hillsbus back in 2018 for Station Link within a timeframe of 5 months, with a bus a day at certain points in the deliver schedule. In this sense, 60 in 6 months wouldn't have been too much of an ask, provided, of course, that adequate notice had been given beforehand.
I've never been on any BCI city buses, however the BCI coaches I've been on are quite nice. From my experience riding on Yutong coaches and the E12, their build quality is much more solid than any Volgren I've been on, and living in CDCNSW's operating region I've had my fair share of Volgrens. Additionally, Yutong has a much larger brand presence worldwide than BCI, and it seems unlikely that Bonluck or Zhongtong (or Foton) would have been contracted either, so fingers crossed I guess.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Stu wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:46 pm
boronia wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:58 am I was in Crows Nest yesterday, and I noticed that the bus tops in Burlington St still have the J poles showing section numbers and stand numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) Information on apps refers to Stands A, B, C, etc.

TfNSW are responsible for public transport related signage which incudes bus stops on local government property such as footpath & nature strip areas.

Local council are sometimes responsible for installing bus stops which are supplied by TfNSW, on other occasions a city tractor will be appointed by TfNSW to install bus stops. An infrastructure installation guide created by TfNSW is used by the installer, the guide displays diagrams and measurements that need to be adhered to.

The bus company only maintains the physical bus timetable document insert and cleans and dirt/graffiti off from the bus stop. If the bus stop is in need of repair of replacement, the bus company reports this directly to TfNSW (the entity that owns the infrastructure).
I've seen those old signs in Crows Nest and if TfNSW are responsible for supplying the signs, who requests them?

Similarly at Gore Hill outside the TAFE the council (Willoughby in this case) or the advertising company shifted around the bus shelters so the 'second' one is now the 'first' - but none of the signage nor tactile flooring was moved.
Interestingly this stop used to have one of the older 'blade' style bus stop signs but that was removed a while back when those bus shelters first went in... when it came around to putting in the blue and white bus stop signs, that specific stop never got one.
Sent feedback to TfNSW who thought it was the local council responsible - though they wouldn't supply the sign now...
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Transit Systems Volvo B12BLE VST m/o 9065 is now in Transport For NSW livery currently aboard it on a 883 heading towards Campbelltown
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

MiCCROwavE_OVEN wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:09 pm Volgren managed to deliver 120 buses to CDC Hillsbus back in 2018 for Station Link within a timeframe of 5 months, with a bus a day at certain points in the deliver schedule. In this sense, 60 in 6 months wouldn't have been too much of an ask, provided, of course, that adequate notice had been given beforehand.
Were the Station Link buses paid for by TfNSW? The reason Transit Systems has gone for Chinese buses is basically price, because they're paying for them themselves.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”