Scania K320UB / Bustech VST

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Tim Williams

Scania K320UB / Bustech VST

Post by Tim Williams »

I notice that there are now 30 of these in service - all with Torrens?? How many, in total, are on order and are any planned top go to Southlink?
I think that they are attractive buses and look good in the Adelaide Metro livery with the exception the feature black paint around the windows - which should extend down to just below the windows.
The window line around the front axle has been modified, no doubt in an attempt to improve passenger visibility in that area - is it now satisfactory??

Thanks
Former driver37

Re: Scania K320UB / Bustech VST

Post by Former driver37 »

Tim Williams wrote:I notice that there are now 30 of these in service - all with Torrens?? How many, in total, are on order and are any planned top go to Southlink?
I think that they are attractive buses and look good in the Adelaide Metro livery with the exception the feature black paint around the windows - which should extend down to just below the windows.
The window line around the front axle has been modified, no doubt in an attempt to improve passenger visibility in that area - is it now satisfactory??

Thanks
Southlink not due for anymore buses until the 2200s retire in 2022 2023
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I find them to be very unpleasant to catch.

A bus that has taken the spot of a 1990s bus that stands out to me will not be well liked by me to begin with. But when it feels sitting on the inside of a Delorean (with those unnecessary and annoying arches at the front), with the seats hitting your back every time they go over a bump, it just rubs it in more.

The 'next stop requested' announcement is a tiny bit less annoying than a 90 decibel jackpot tone (V2 CB80s), but a simple ding is sufficient. You can actually reach the next stop button without having to use a ladder though (like in 1946 for example), but personally I think they are little bit too low, which enables toddlers to press them continuously without any effort, whilst their carers sit 3 rows in front with their eyes buried in their phones.

The interior panels don't look attractive in my opinion, even if they're designed to deter graffiti. They could at least be a different colour. The window line seems like some weak compromise, but they're 2019 buses after all. It is unrealistic to expect the quality, comfort and durability that the 1990s bodies had.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Tim Williams wrote:I notice that there are now 30 of these in service - all with Torrens?? How many, in total, are on order and are any planned top go to Southlink?

Thanks
Tim. Deliveries of these Scania Bustechs will continue for the time being at the rate of 3-4 a month to replace MAN SL 202's as they become due for retirement.
As final tenders for future buses are yet to be called, it could be a long wait before we see any new buses other than the current deliveries.
The buses are very smart and contrary to what another person said are quite comfortable, and certainly a lot less noisy than the Custom CB80's.
I am currently visiting the Gold Coast,and there are certainly a lot of Bustechs in service for Surfside Buslines.
Bustechs up here are manufactured at Transit Australia Group plant on the Gold Coast.
As a matter of interest the bus operational side of TAG was purchased recently by the parent company of Skybus.
TAG still retain ownership of their Bustech Division.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

As I keep mentioning, it would be lovely to have a photo of the interior of these modified new Bustechs to see how they've addressed the problem of the windowline being too high for the seats.

I'm also curious about the two Bustech electric buses about which there was much fanfare but have now vanished from the public scene. I mean there's now a number of battery-electric buses running around in Australian cities, it can't be too hard to get them running surely? Or has Bustech fluffed it and hoping it'll be forgotten?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

My only major gripe about these Bustechs, from a comfort point of view, is that the backs of the seats have that rough finish to deter graffiti scratching, but it's not very comfortable for tall people like me whose knees touch the back of the seat in front. When they're resting against a flat back seat on older models, it's not too much of a problem, but the rougher surface, combined with bumps in the road, makes for quite an unpleasant experience. When I'm wearing shorts, I am left with imprints on my knees of the surface of the seat backs.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Eagle Eye wrote:My only major gripe about these Bustechs, from a comfort point of view, is that the backs of the seats have that rough finish to deter graffiti scratching, but it's not very comfortable for tall people like me whose knees touch the back of the seat in front. When they're resting against a flat back seat on older models, it's not too much of a problem, but the rougher surface, combined with bumps in the road, makes for quite an unpleasant experience. When I'm wearing shorts, I am left with imprints on my knees of the surface of the seat backs.
That's a whole subject on its own, the self-defeating bus industry practice of trying to get past the magic four zero seating capacity number by reducing the seat pitch until it's impossible for anybody except shorties to sit in them. There's not only the knee-impact issue but the issue of the resentful stares from boarding passengers when you've had to occupy two seats because your legs are spread out in a wide V in order to fit in them.

I don't have too much problem in Volgrens and Bustechs, but Custom as well as any Asian bus is pretty terrible.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Thanks
There are now 52 of these in service.
I guess Scania/Precision Buses-Bustech are hoping they are successful in winning some of the tenders for new buses for Adelaide Metro over the next 10 years.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I personally hope not unless they improve the interior design significantly.

The backrests that vibrate/shake when going over a bump are my biggest dislike with these, but those ridiculous arches at the front are a waste of dosh as well.

The best solution could possibly be to redesign their low entry bodies from scratch, made from a different material that enables them to look normal, with a flat window line.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

As somebody from interstate unlikely to visit Adelaide any time soon, it would be nice to see an interior photo. I'm curious to see how they resolved the issue of seats being too low in relation to the windows and people being unable to see out the windows.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

They changed the window line from the front door to the centre door so that it doesn’t rise so quickly. Only 1906 and 1907 (the Cummins powered ones) have the steep climb in the window line, all the others (Scanias) have the modified window line.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

TA3001, perhaps they could just stick some B58's, B59's and Swifts back into service for your liking?
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Too modern. Some Daimlers, and Leylands would be better. Was so relaxing to literally NOT have to catch any Bustechs today, due to allocation difficulties.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

What? Are there to be no half cab AECs?? Disgraceful!
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
MiCCROwavE_OVEN

Post by MiCCROwavE_OVEN »

TA3001 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:59 pm I personally hope not unless they improve the interior design significantly.

The backrests that vibrate/shake when going over a bump are my biggest dislike with these, but those ridiculous arches at the front are a waste of dosh as well.

The best solution could possibly be to redesign their low entry bodies from scratch, made from a different material that enables them to look normal, with a flat window line.
I've never been on an Adelaide VST, but from what I've experienced with buses in Sydney, seats mounted on cantilevers tend to bounce much more violently than the seats mounted on stanchions direct to the floor. Most Bustech vehicles have cantilever seats, which might explain that.

Unlike other bus designs like the Optimus, CB80 and Endeavour, and the Gemilang Eco, the VST body does not taper up at the top. The arches at the front are required for structural integrity in the event of an accident but Bustech certainly could have used a lot less material for those.

The window line is something Bustech is not likely to discard from its models any time soon as it looks stylish from the outside.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”