What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Swift »

What do you pay your membership for?
Yep, like Aldi, Costco have learned they can get away with offering only slightly less than the competition instead od offering substantial savings.

If you're after dirt cheap and really good (according to my own taste anyway) coffee that takes the human element out, Shell service stations have $1 and $2 coffee out of their self serve coffee dispenser. Astonishingly good.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Just don't get me started on Supermarkets just don't.

I'm reaching my wits end with the local Woolworths because of various issues. My local is one of the biggest in the region in a multimillion dollar shopping centre yet they either don't stock half the things or it is ran on incompetency. They use to sell hot food in the Deli area here, haven't for about two years now (I'm a big enjoyer of their hot Buffloe wings) yet the smaller Woolworths the next town over always has sold hot food without issue. The Bakery? We'll bake everything except the Cinnamon donuts, don't tell me WW it's a supply issue either because you have 99% of your bakery range there but Cinnamon donuts are somehow the impossible?

I should just switch to Coles but my living self is just too programed to shop at Woolworths by default
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

No wonder Woolworths won't improve when they know custom will continue by blindly loyal brand groupies.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Swift wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:18 pm What do you pay your membership for?
I honestly don't know - then again, I haven't paid for membership once ever since it opened in 2012, I just go in when someone else with the card wants to. :lol:
Throwing $62 away on a membership only to get things cheaper at Colesworths or IGA or Aldi defeats the purpose, almost everything they had going for them when they first opened ten years ago has gone. Now they're just competing with the supermarkets and department stores, yet people have to pay for the privilege to get virtually the same prices elsewhere. Unlike Costco in America where they have vouchers and coupons to lower the prices, Costco Australia doesn't seem to do that - in fact, I can't even think of anything in Australia that does that e.g. load up on x% off or $5 off coupons before they expire and potentially go shopping for free (or even having the supermarket pay you to shop there due to the coupons putting the total sale price into negative like on those American TV shows). I suppose it's still useful if you're a shop/restaurant owner and get things by the pallet to save money, but for a single person buying small things it's a complete waste of time, especially when Costco only wants to compete with the supermarkets lest it be sued for anti-competitive practice or something.
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:40 pm The Bakery? We'll bake everything except the Cinnamon donuts, don't tell me WW it's a supply issue either because you have 99% of your bakery range there but Cinnamon donuts are somehow the impossible?
Reminds me of my local Aldi. Their "limited edition" World Kitchen Stone Baked BBQ Meatlovers pizzas are almost always sold out yet they always, without fail, have dozens of chicken and/or vegetarian pizzas that probably end up in the skip after sitting untouched for a week. These are the ones in the meat section (fridge), not the International Cuisine ones in the freezer, which are basically McCain knockoffs (I don't buy these).

FWIW they're 99% identical to the Picasso Kitchen BBQ Meat Deluxe (in the purple box) in Woolworths (which are again in a fridge on the other side of the supermarket rather than in the freezer next to the McCain pizzas) but with a few chunks of fat masquerading as bacon which I always give to the dog. I prefer the Picasso ones by virtue of not having the unwanted pieces of fat, but Aldi is closer to me than Woolies and I'd rather not step foot inside the monstrosity that is Eastland Shopping Centre if I can help it, let alone having to put up with the endless stream of traffic circling said shopping centre.

I rarely buy McCain ones these days because they're $7 (or $5.50 on special), may as well get cheap crap from Dominos at that price. Likewise with the fresh Costco pizzas - they used to be around $12 for a family pizza (frozen), but now they're pushing $15 which makes a full-priced McCain look cheap (although the Costco ones are admittedly better). Funnily enough, last year they had phased out the meatlovers ones for months on end and only had cheese pizzas - after complaining they finally brought them back around February.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The Charity con-artists - which we've already ranted about...

On this occasion, I managed to evade the person's continued pushing to sign me up. A lot of "why not!?" from this particular person. In the end they let it slip they wouldn't get a sales commission if they didn't sign me up. Unfortunately as it was in an outdoors shopping mall, I'm not sure if there's anyone they could be reported to.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:06 pm The Charity con-artists - which we've already ranted about...

Unfortunately as it was in an outdoors shopping mall, I'm not sure if there's anyone they could be reported to.
I don't know the particular layout of your shopping mall but it could still fall under centre management property or if not then the local council. They would've had to have gotten permission from one of the two names I just mentioned to set up a little stall / table / kiosk whatever you want to call it. If it's irking people and they get enough complaints it'll give a really good case to get them booted, the problem with this however is they just move elsewhere, rinse & repeat.

If I'm ever interested in one of these, I will walk up to them, I don't need them to walk up to me & make me feel guilty because I said no to their cause but that'll be a never for having interest because I know the lot of them are full of themselves & more often than not don't take 1 off donations (Always is card only & reoccurring) which is a major red flag.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I read for the first year or more, non of your money goes to the cause. They don't tell you THAT.
They are a filth riddled scam headed by corporate CEOs on high salaries you end up chipping in for should you be suckered in.

If they ambush you, turn your head away and refuse to even waste a breath being civil to the parasites.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

As of late;

Needed pants for work since my last pair have developed holes, specific colour (has to be dark navy blue otherwise my employer might chuck the S&#t's), so made a trip up to Big W and find the pants I usually get. frustratingly they have sizes 36 & 40 but no blooming 38 (36 is too small & 40 is one size too big & slips without a belt which I don't like wearing so has to be 38). Half of those pants anyway are missing their size tags on their coat hanger and also missing the barcode tag on them, how can a retail giant be so useless?

I find another pair of pants that are just long shorts (not to work type standard & probably don't have any elastic in them which would mean they'd slip as I'd walk about) but instead of using number sizing, they are using M, L, XL, XXL sizing etc. Why on earth do we have the two sizing types & can't stick to just the one Letter or number sizing instead of having both the XL & number measurement system?

I walked out without getting any pants so all I have left at home is the one pair that is black, which will just have to suffice until I can make the trip somewhere up next weekend for replacements.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I've had a pinned post on my Facebook page since 2018 that clearly says in GREAT DETAIL that I am not affiliated or ran by any Transport Operators or Transport NSW and that my page is just an enthusiast / hobby page. I've had two people air their transport woes to my page in the last 24 hours and after having said warning post pinned for the last 5 years I am at my wits end with people that to this day ignore the post & about me section and then yap & blame me (well more so directed at my page) for what went wrong with the trains & bus operators today. You'd also think after seeing the posts that I make on my page which no operator would post anything along the lines of that it would click with people and they'd go "Oh that can't be right".

I have warned the last person today that my page is a hobby page & there is nothing I can do and in future people who blame me or mistake my page again and air the issues will just have their posts outright removed, I reserve the right to do that and will do it. Not my fault or concern you ignore the pinned post for one and two can't clearly tell the difference between what is the official operators page & what isn't.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Remove the posts, and block the user. If they're that stupid to comment on a non-affiliated page, they'll just have to get over it.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Exactly what I am going to be doing. At the end of the day it isn't a big issue in itself but I don't enjoy seeing I've got a notification on my page for comment(s) and finding out it's just another person who has ignored the big pinned warning post and is digging at the page for their transport mishaps.

Well as I said, today is my last day responding to the last person on the matter, moving on the block button will be doing it's job, they probably won't miss my content anyway since they've just come to whine, not amaze themselves.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Abuse them verbally. You'll feel better.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Fuel prices again :/

Came down for what felt like 5 minutes a while back (hovering around $1.50 average when it did for E10) now shot back up to $1.90 & close to $2 buck a roo's again and will stay like that for months to come. It's just becoming so expensive to operate & maintain a motor vehicle I now just resort to getting everything done in one drive (work & what I need from the shops). Random weekend trips just won't happen anymore unless I can justify them.

Electric vehicles won't solve everything but honestly in my opinion they can't come soon enough but enough that I'll never have to worry about fuel prices again when I do obtain an EV.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

As predicted, the fuel excise cut hasn't really helped after all. My thoughts on it, is that it should've been given to major transport operators, and other critical supply chain industry (e.g. farmers), plus those in regional areas without public transport. In the cities, people would have to use the public transport provided. That would likely have stopped at least some of the inflationary pressure we're now seeing.

Anyone who thinks that the Stage & Federal governments will happily sit and watch their fuel excise revenue whither away as we move to electric/hydrogen/whatever-the-fad-is-this-week is seriously misguided. I imagine usage-based registration charges and/or more toll roads will be introduced to make up the revenue shortfall.
In Norway, the Government waived toll-road charges, at least some registration costs, and offered subsidies to purchase EVs. When I was last there in 2017 the Government had lost so much revenue (and congestion was worsening so much) there were fairly serious debates ongoing about reintroducing tolls and removing the other incentives to buy an EV. Petrol is $5-6/L at the moment over there.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

We have a car that runs on LPG GAS only OUR LOCAL SERVO told us as from the end of the month NO MORE LPG GAS FUEL it will be to expensive to renew the tanks it was the last servo local to sell LPG GAS the nearest one is 100ks away! it is at presant $1 a LTR. :evil:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift

Post by Swift »

No one wants the loss of boot space and extra piping to save little over a third on petrol since the government insisted on putting excise on LPG.
I miss the good days of the 1990s when LPG cost under 30¢ a litre and it cost me $2 return to drive from Cheltenham to Willoughby bus depot each day in my 1978 CL Valiant!
1587953716549-5ba41076-ade5-48e7-ae1d-391943f14d9c-1000x666.jpg
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

& I thought prior to the pandemic fuel prices sitting at $1.40 on average were expensive & bad enough, those fuel prices back then make those figures look like a walk in the park compared to almost $2 we're seeing now. Cry me a river when those doing it rich need to do it richer (Fuel giants using every excuse in the book to hike pricing) while us working our 9-5's get the pain & suffer just about everywhere, same wages but everything around us rising in price.

& as I said in my last post, I don't do random trips out anymore unless the pricing will eventually drop (which as I said too won't be for a very good long time). Sure my car was another car on the road adding to all the emissions & who ha but I could previously hop in, go around town and not have to worry about costs, now in this timeline it is all adding up, I can't & don't want to unnecessary chew up fuel when my employer relies on me to travel to long distance worksites & the distance I'm required to travel chews up a lot of fuel just to get there (they do pay me back the KM's travelled on payday but that is money I'm also without until said day). Excluding weekends (because I don't work them), my employer for the past few weeks has had me driving to a site 115KM away from my home(From Home to that worksite and then back home when the job is done for the day). All in my own personal vehicle at 230KM a day, If I've just driven to that site & nowhere else in those 5 days that's 1150 KM. I don't like calculating the total's but if I'd have to estimate I've possibly spent over $1000 in fuel alone over the past few weeks, not cheap and you can start to see why I'm highly hesitant & strung to do anything now.

You might see this as another "low quality whine" post but I'm somewhat burnt out & tired of hiding from what truly needs to be stated.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Parents that leave their children unattended in vehicles especially with the windows up.

Long story short, doing Saturday shopping at a small shopping centre where the major tenant is Woolworths, when I'd pulled into next to this 4WD with all the windows up, I didn't realise there was a toddler (guessing about two or three of age) asleep in back of the vehicle, it's only when I came back and was getting into my car after putting my groceries away that I glanced at the 4WD rear seat because something caught my eye and noticed the child, I ran straight back into Woolworths who then contacted Centre management (no on site security since it is a small centre). Centre Mangement came out with me and and I pointed out the 4WD, she came over and glanced inside and there's a 2nd child, guessing 5 or 6 years old of age who had his head down, I didn't see the 2nd kid since the windows were tinted and the 2nd kid was bent down and blended in with the black leather seats.

The parent(s) ended up coming back not long after CM was out on the scene but I was already leaving at that point so didn't stick around but I felt like I should've given them an earful for child neglect but obviously It isn't something I'd want to do in front of children. I've done my part by reporting it anyway so that was enough at that point.

CM did kinda say too "Well it ain't 40 degrees but I understand why you reported it". When I got back home, I told a relative about it and they didn't agree with that comment either & said you did the right thing by reporting it. I understand bringing your children into the shops is no easy task & can be a pain however from when I pulled up and when I came back to my car, must've been 15 minutes and the 4WD was still there so that's what also further added to myself going in and alerting someone, the duration and not knowing where the parents were or how much longer they'd be.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

4WD Drivers that never leave the city ever and take up WAY too much room, especially if there's only one person in the car. Jesus christ!
I prefer my catches rare.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Almost getting run over by a reckless idiot on a dirtbike this afternoon when I did some bus spotting after school. I luckily gave them a signal to slow down, he did but he gave me the finger, probably after realising I had my camera + tripod with me (and it is wasn't even on at the time, which the camera and tripod just being there must have caught him out as he went past me) didn't make a report though, because I was too fast and I was focused on getting some bus clips.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Pity your didn't have a machine gun mounted instead.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Omnibuses posts now reminds me when I was coming home through Dunolly (Singleton) a couple of weeks ago from work. Where the Mobil service station is (just shy of the big intersection there). 2 Young dirtbike riders riding unregistered bikes (probably only good for off-road) cut across the busy section of that road to get to what I assume was the service station.

They were illegally riding on the footpath before they cut across the middle of the road to get to the service station. I recall last year seeing on one of the towns local Facebook pages there was a bit of an uproar about the younger kids riding their dirt-bikes illegally on the street & public roads and as you'd guessed it, the Facebook boomers, they were saying along the lines of "Well it get's them out of the house and not sitting on their Playstations all day".

Heaven Forbid one would take an unregistered motorvehicle for a cruise but it's alright for little 8 year old Johnny to zip around on his dirt-bike cutting corners and going top speed on a road that is shared by actual registered & legal vehicles. Having seen numerous dashcam videos of very very close calls the parents really really need a wake up call. If you go to an off-road place then that's fine & not my concern, have fun however I personally don't want to see any unregistered dirt-bike riders on public roads regardless of age, the lot ride without any safety (no helmets / protective gear) or concern for themselves or others.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxu_tC ... Asingapore

LTA Singapore's "See Something, Say Something" PSA that's already receiving backlash from local enthusiasts.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Coworkers who still come into work sick. We've learnt nothing from the pandemic, surprise surprise. If a certain Novacastrian resident was still around on this board he'd have a field day over this post.

Even worse is we're contracted to work with various companies so this isn't a good look for one of us to rockup sick and still undertake work. Yes we're casual and if we don't rock up, don't get paid yadda yadda but I'd rather get rest instead of coming in sick, make more people sick and then feel guilty over it. Much easier to stay home & isolate and saves our company face from having one of the companies that contracts us calling us in a huff wondering why we've allowed a sick employee to work at their site.

We're required to wear masks while undertaking the work we do, same people can't even wear them & give half fobbed excuses to why they were caught by our heads not wearing one. Not wearing one while performing the work is a breach of the contract we signed when we joined the company & you can be fired for not wearing PPE.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I can't stand most blue collar workers in Australia. I would never eat lunch with them.

Return to “The Lunch Room”