December Bus Changes - Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
booma
Favourite Vehicle: 3886 & 3883

Re: December Bus Changes - Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore

Post by booma »

robert wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 pm There appears to be no replacement for the part of 136 between East Roseville and Victoria Av/Penshurst St via Smith St (industrial area) & High St.
281,282,283 & 137.
My views expressed in here are my own and do not reflect those of anyone or anything else.
robert

Post by robert »

booma wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 pm
robert wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 pm There appears to be no replacement for the part of 136 between East Roseville and Victoria Av/Penshurst St via Smith St (industrial area) & High St.
281,282,283 & 137.
I don't think you can read a map or a timetable.

The 137 has only 1 trip each way on weekdays only - not a match for a 15-minute headway on 136 seven-days-a-week.

281-3 go nowhere near the Victoria Av/Penshurst St corner.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

robert wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:38 pm
281-3 go nowhere near the Victoria Av/Penshurst St corner.
plan is for them to be re-routed, i believe, whilst 277-280 and 284 will stay on Boundary Rd
HHH

Post by HHH »

J_Busworth wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:38 am
North Sydney is currently advertising for drivers with HR licenses specifically, and it is now my understanding is that this is in order to have enough HR drivers to operate artics on the 100. These artics will need to come from somewhere and I suggested that TSA would be a good candidate given the tendency for them to underuse their artics. If the artics are sitting in the yard doing nothing at TSA, there is no reason not to send them to North Sydney for the 100.
Sounds like the rumour that was circulating around various camps a while ago. Swap a number of bendies from TSA with gas rigids from STA.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

From what I've read, the two biggest complaints so far are about route 171X and 189X.

The complaints about route 171X seem to be mostly whinging. There will be a direct interchange with route 172X towards the city, and 150X/170X/173X from the city. With a more frequent service on route 162 this shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, 189X is supposedly being replaced by 191 + 190X. As pointed out by residents, 191 only operates in an clockwise direction. This means citybound passengers need to travel around the loop and end up further north at Avalon.

The residents claim this would add "35-45 minutes" each way to their trip, which is clearly an exaggeration. However, depending on where passengers get on, it could still add ~20 minutes of travel time.

A few stops are particularly affected -- here are comparative travel times to the Plateau Rd/Barrenjoey Rd roundabout.
Plateau Rd before Weetawaa Rd
189X (existing): 2 min
191 + 190X: 16 bus + 5 wait + 4 bus = 25 min (+23)
Walk (0.95 km) + 190X: 12 min (+10)

Plateau Rd before Bilberry Ave
189X (existing): 3 min
191 + 190X: 15 bus + 5 wait + 4 bus = 24 min (+21)
Walk (1.3 km) + 190X: 16 min (+13)

Bilambee Ave at Bilga Ave
189X (existing): 3 min
191 + 190X: 12 bus + 5 wait + 4 bus = 21 min (+18)
Walk (1.6 km) + 190X: 19 min (+16)
Average waiting time of 5 minutes is assumed based on a bus every 10 minutes from Avalon (late buses may make this worse).

My suspicion is that they'll either make Keoride permanent with some improvements, or change the route somewhat to make it look like they're "responding to community feedback".
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Don't forget about Newport detour, which makes the journey even slower.

I think it makes much more sense to keep 188X as the peak hour express service instead of 190X.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

stupid_girl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:01 pm Don't forget about Newport detour, which makes the journey even slower.

I think it makes much more sense to keep 188X as the peak hour express service instead of 190X.
The 190x will be rerouted direct via Barrenjoey Rd instead of via Newport Arms
DABOIKOOLKID
Favourite Vehicle: 4994

Post by DABOIKOOLKID »

Are there any school buses that are being axed? as there is a post on Facebook about "up to 20 school services being cancelled" but they don't seem to really know what they are talking about.
Cazza

Post by Cazza »

They don't usually axe any school services willy-nilly without a suitable replacement provided (merging school services or having a school diversion on a regular route etc.). However, in saying that, if the school route just simply isn't viable enough (patronage or resource wise), they do have a justification to remove it.

From my own observations, there are a lot of school services right across the STA regions and properly condensing them wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Some school routes are fairly redundant and from my view, could be merged pretty easily with others. People will always kick and scream about changes, but considering I haven't actually seen any info on school route changes, this could just be an urban myth created by some NIMBYs. Time will tell.
Last edited by Cazza on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I wish I could give a thanks to that. You get the impression the complainers come out of the woodwork whenever any adjustments are made or proposed to any long established services that no longer serve the area the way they once did.
Hear them out by all means, but don't give them so much sway in the end decision of it's not merited.
They just don't like change half the time.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

DABOIKOOLKID wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:36 am Are there any school buses that are being axed? as there is a post on Facebook about "up to 20 school services being cancelled" but they don't seem to really know what they are talking about.
That is a common symptom with Facebook posters.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
HHH

Post by HHH »

I would guess that the timetables will be available somewhere around the end of the first week of December.

I wonder if there are other changes to other regions yet to be announced for other regions besides the 257 from Region 7 and 430 from R6 that are affected by the Region 8 service changes? Might be a good time to trim down other long distance routes such as 320, 343 and 410.
Swift

Post by Swift »

When will they abolish the 265 and 255 all day and cut them back to peak only service?
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

They are doing a full review of each STA region, one region at a time. It’s all to do with privatisation as these will be the networks that are bid on by the new operators. All the routes that were involved in this review were considered to be Region 8 routes, including the 257. Region 7 and Region 9 changes will come in at a later date, as those tenders are later.

The 430 needed to be included as it is being spilt into a Region 6 and a Region 8 route.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Swift wrote: When will they abolish the 265 and 255 all day and cut them back to peak only service?
Probably never. :D
J_Busworth wrote: The 430 needed to be included as it is being spilt into a Region 6 and a Region 8 route.
One of the downsides of privatisation is routes being split for operational convenience rather than reflecting passenger wants. Notable that at stops on Broadway and Military Road, Pacific Highway etc, passengers will let city terminator services go, with services that cross the city taking them to where they want to go.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:44 pm
Swift wrote: When will they abolish the 265 and 255 all day and cut them back to peak only service?
Probably never. :D
If it takes privatisation to get rid of it, I'm for it and it seems inevitable now. 👍
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Swift wrote: If it takes privatisation to get rid of it, I'm for it and it seems inevitable now.
Except that what services are operated will remain the responsibility of TfNSW, privatisation will have no effect on this.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hopefully the 265 will be split up if they don't drastically cut it back.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

You can dream, but there is no evidence it is planned.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Doesn't mean it won't happen bud. We'll see.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Swift wrote: We'll see.
Indeed, but you have been death riding route 265 for a while, yet it lives on.
HHH

Post by HHH »

The 430 will most likely not have much of a future after it is cut back to the City, most likely to operate between Sydenham and Martin Place for a short term before being abolished as there will only be a few stops difference between the other City services nearby.
swtt

Post by swtt »

HHH wrote:The 430 will most likely not have much of a future after it is cut back to the City, most likely to operate between Sydenham and Martin Place for a short term before being abolished as there will only be a few stops difference between the other City services nearby.
Those trips can perhaps be plowed back into existing routes. Similar to M10 disappearing, but 461x and 438x getting some major upgrades.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Swift

Post by Swift »

They've got to discard the thinking that they've always been there so we can't change it mentality.
Luckily that has happened quite a bit lately with lots odd tweaking going on over the years now.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Route 265 has been tweaked over the years, most recently when it was cut back from McMahons Point to North Sydney in 2017, but evidently TfNSW still felt there was the need to retain the rest of it

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”