Australian Aviation Thread - 2020

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
eddy

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - 2020

Post by eddy »

I love the Bae 146 and I think they should restart production in England with one pilot, ten passengers and freight to small towns with small rough airports.
Perhaps it could be built with just two large jet motors to save fuel and because of the high wing they would not be flattened at the bottom.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Nauru Airlines B733 has departed Manila, Philippines this morning at 8:50am after arriving from Brisbane via Darwin.

Does anyone know if this is freight, Passenger or repatriation related as I haven't heard of any added flights for the latter.

Sent from my SM-A207F using Tapatalk

Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, great planes.
The first production numbers were made at the old De-havilland factory at Hatfield, Hertfordshire. They are designed to operate from remote, poorly constructed airfields, hence the 4 engines and high wing configuration.

If there as a weakness with them, it would be the Lycoming engines, which were originally designed for the Chinook helicopters. But 146's and there later Avro RJ deveopment continue in service, so the engines could not have been all that bad.

Lovely plane to travel in, comfortable, quiet, high wing = good views and a large diameter fuselage, for its size.

Travelled in ithemin various places including in the UK from Birmingham to Belfast City with Flybe and the most memorable flight was from Perth to Alice Springs, pre 9/11 and up in the cockpit with some wonderful scenic diversions, for my benefit!!
eddy

Post by eddy »

Tim Williams wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 pm Yes, great planes.
The first production numbers were made at the old De-havilland factory at Hatfield, Hertfordshire. They are designed to operate from remote, poorly constructed airfields, hence the 4 engines and high wing configuration.

If there as a weakness with them, it would be the Lycoming engines, which were originally designed for the Chinook helicopters. But 146's and there later Avro RJ deveopment continue in service, so the engines could not have been all that bad.

Lovely plane to travel in, comfortable, quiet, high wing = good views and a large diameter fuselage, for its size.

Travelled in ithemin various places including in the UK from Birmingham to Belfast City with Flybe and the most memorable flight was from Perth to Alice Springs, pre 9/11 and up in the cockpit with some wonderful scenic diversions, for my benefit!!
Very smart of them to find a niche, at 5.30 he says reliable jets were too small so that is why they needed four but the fuel crisis killed production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHEefch3iqg&t=461s

I believe they had a problem with oil smell but with just two bigger newer jets I think the economics and smell problems would be overcome especially if they use just one pilot with freight and 10 passengers going directly to whoop whoop.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

Bjwh86 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:04 pm Nauru Airlines B733 has departed Manila, Philippines this morning at 8:50am after arriving from Brisbane via Darwin.

Does anyone know if this is freight, Passenger or repatriation related as I haven't heard of any added flights for the latter.

Not sure, although interestingly Solomon Airlines (flight IE620) is operating a scheduled flight from Honiara to Manila today as well

To be honest I would’ve gone with repatriation, as if it was a Cargo flight, it’s possible we would’ve probably seen their 737 freight plane instead
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

A few more planes parked at Alice Springs the past couple of weeks, most notably from Hong Kong Express (a320s, a321’s) and a few Cathay Pacific planes (a333, 773)

Today Cathay Pacific sent 2 77W planes to Alice Springs boneyard. If I’m correct one of them was at least 6 years old.
eddy

Post by eddy »

At 10.00 he says buyers are mainly Russian and poorer countries and I think if they prove themselves the big guys may have another competitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuiYKUnanm0
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

JRBUS123 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm A few more planes parked at Alice Springs the past couple of weeks, most notably from Hong Kong Express (a320s, a321’s) and a few Cathay Pacific planes (a333, 773) Today Cathay Pacific sent 2 77W planes to Alice Springs boneyard. If I’m correct one of them was at least 6 years old.
I don't think this site in Alice Springs is a 'boneyard' unlike some of the locations in the US. The planes are simply in storage awaiting business to pick up, however many years away that may be. They're not being cut up or salvaged for spares as I understand at this time.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, I think airliners are being stored and maintained there by apparently 50 or so engineers and others on site, no one has made any comment about "parting out" the planes, as they do in Arizona. All the planes stored at the Alice look fairly recent models, to me.

I understand that over 90 airliners are stored there at present, mainly Singapore, Scoot, Cathay and some other HK low cost airlines. Where are the Qantas surplus planes, one might ask - the answer is in the USA, maybe Arizona and a couple in their maintenance facility at LA Airport. When asked why they (Qantas) were not using Alice Springs, they said cost as they already have engineers based in LA (but not Arizona????) and to use A/Springs would cost more through fly/fly out etc. Whilst that seems difficult to accept, cost saving is paramount at Qantas (I can confirm this, having worked for an ex Qantas director!!)
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

Yeah there are about 90 aircraft and apparently they’re running out of space to fit more aircraft in (max capacity is 100) so APAS, the group that operates the storage site at Alice Springs, is expanding into Toowoomba West Wellcamp airport in Queensland
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

Centralian wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:12 pm
JRBUS123 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm A few more planes parked at Alice Springs the past couple of weeks, most notably from Hong Kong Express (a320s, a321’s) and a few Cathay Pacific planes (a333, 773) Today Cathay Pacific sent 2 77W planes to Alice Springs boneyard. If I’m correct one of them was at least 6 years old.
I don't think this site in Alice Springs is a 'boneyard' unlike some of the locations in the US. The planes are simply in storage awaiting business to pick up, however many years away that may be. They're not being cut up or salvaged for spares as I understand at this time.
I would still call it a boneyard because in the past a very small amount of retired aircraft (I think that includes some Qantas Boeing 767-200) were sent to Alice Springs for long term storage/scrapping. However, yes, at the moment most aircraft stored there are in storage awaiting for business to pick up.

I suppose a lot of these aircraft may be in storage for at least a couple of years, or until a COVID-19 vaccine is available. How long that will take, we’ll have to wait and see
eddy

Post by eddy »

At 7.10 he said planes can still make a profit with no passengers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_rXhuaI0W8
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Tim Williams wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:31 pm Yes, I think airliners are being stored and maintained there by apparently 50 or so engineers and others on site, no one has made any comment about "parting out" the planes, as they do in Arizona. All the planes stored at the Alice look fairly recent models, to me.

I understand that over 90 airliners are stored there at present, mainly Singapore, Scoot, Cathay and some other HK low cost airlines. Where are the Qantas surplus planes, one might ask - the answer is in the USA, maybe Arizona and a couple in their maintenance facility at LA Airport. When asked why they (Qantas) were not using Alice Springs, they said cost as they already have engineers based in LA (but not Arizona????) and to use A/Springs would cost more through fly/fly out etc. Whilst that seems difficult to accept, cost saving is paramount at Qantas (I can confirm this, having worked for an ex Qantas director!!)
The majority of the QF jets sent to temporary storage are in Victorville which is about 3 hours out of LA. The other thing is that they also already have a contract with those storage places so they probably also aren't paying full freight either.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Alliance Airlines has acquired a reasonable number of E190 jets at an opportune time. The first of these, in Alliance livery, is on its way and due to arrive at Brisbane tomorrow at 1700.

For those on Facebook (everyone except me I suspect), the Alliance page has more info, images, and a clip of the aircraft taking off on its flight to Australia.

There is also talk of closer cooperation between Alliance and the new Virgin including possibly Virgins regional routes. A submission went in earlier this week to the ACCC, with a decision by the ACCC due early next year.
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

I'll be intrigued to see the outcome of that ACCC submission. I know the ACCC is/was investigating Qantas because of how bought a percentage of corporate ownership of Alliance. The ACCC has the opinion that it will reduce competition because Qantas already has Qantaslink and it's huge regional footprint... essentially pulling the rug out from underneath VARA.

Thanks,
Mitch :lol:
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Each of the 14 Embraer E190 jets for Alliance Airlines will carry registration in the series VH-UY_ ; starting with VH-UYZ for the first arrival.
eddy

Post by eddy »

As these planes are operating now, I wonder if they will be accepted in the west once proven.

Interesting they use Russel Crowe @ 5.20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPQBawg41w
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Just spotted this NSW Rural Fire Service liveried Boeing 737-300 aircraft, with USA registration departing from Coffs Harbour.

Is this a leased plane by NSWRFS?Image

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Yes, they leased from Coulson Aviation in USA
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

REX has taken delivery of an ex Virgin 737, I think getting a few for MEL-SYD services. Ex Virgin pilots too
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I've also read on an aviation enthusiasts site (not sure if rumour or fact) that their base will be in Sydney and the plan is to demolish the Air Ambulance and Rex hangers at Mascot and build a B737 plus size hanger. Haven't passed there for a while, so image work would have to start soon, if not already underway.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Today marks 100 years since the foundation of Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service. No doubt there'll be some media coverage and Qantas have put out a short promo clip.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Todays Port Moresby to Cairns to Port Moresby Air Niugini. flight was run by a Boeing 767, usually a fokker 70.

I'm thinking this is due to aussies and their families using Port Moresby to get back to Australia as their are no direct flights from places like Philippines and there have been Aussies flying from Philippines to PNG then onwards to Cairns for Hotel Quarantine.

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

First landing at West Sydney Airport

https://www.9news.com.au/national/badge ... e8965c7c2c
Living in the Shire.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”