Powering Mobitec ICU400

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Powering Mobitec ICU400

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So I've recently purchased a Mobitec ICU400 Destination controller because why not? While I'm waiting for it to arrive I thought I'd try and sort out how I'm going to power the unit. Unfortunately I'm a bit stumped with how I'd go about this as electronics & power cabling isn't really my area of expertise. If possible I'd like to try and power the controller through USB cable somehow but I could look at other means If it can be done.

The controller I purchased is model CU33143-2, it's a model where it uses USB port on the front to upload destination files.

I've read in a previous older thread that the blue port is for updating the controller or something while I believe the green is the power port but what cable do I need for this and how would I be able to get that to then go to USB adapter to power it or will that not be possible? Sorry if the last isn't clear, I'm still scratching my head but could possibly try and clear myself further up if needed.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
ScaniaGrenda

Re: Powering Mobitec ICU400

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Seeing how my original plan is going to be unlikely to happen. Is there anyone on here who can tell me where to get the cables & equipment I need to power this unit? I'd still love to get it working.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
theresnobodyhereman

Post by theresnobodyhereman »

I have a bus with a board and am seeking a controller as mine was removed some time prior to purchase. I'm trying to keep the bus looking and feeling like the original Sydney transit machine it was with hand rails and the original pill cord communication system. I fell in love with the original bus but it has to become a motorhome around the fixtures I'm keeping, including the flip dot destination board. I am not sure if I can help you to work out the unit or if at his point you'd be happy to part with it but my bus is wired and ready to roll, problem is I'm in outback NSW making everything more difficult. If you have any ideas let me know.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

hopefully I'm reading this correctly, if not I apologise, sadly I won't be parting with my controller for the foreseeable future as it's a special item of mine (and wasn't easy to obtain). I'm still yet to power it up (not even an inch closer in terms of progress from when I created this thread). They very rarely come up on Ebay.com.au but I'd recommend maybe visiting the British site (Ebay UK) as a couple of listings do pop up on there frequently, tho you may have to ask the seller beforehand if their willing to ship internationally as that'll be the only major hurdle. Last I saw they were retailing for 80 - 200 pounds, the older ICU 400 controllers get pricey depending on condition and seller.

I'd say also try bus companies if you can convince them but given you said your rural it may another hurdle in your way, the other problem is they may not be willing to part with parts either (the few I called said no to parting with anything from their retired buses).

Best of luck through, hopefully your able to obtain what you want.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”