Victorian Rail & Tram Observations 2019

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Victorian Rail & Tram Observations 2019

Post by BroadGauge »

New year, new thread, new things to report. The usual creator of these threads is away on a cruise ship, so I thought I'd jump in and create some ;)
Linto63

Re: Victorian Rail & Tram Observations 2019

Post by Linto63 »

B2047 has been returned from overhaul with its interior painted white. Nice change from the very dated 1980s cream that Yarra Trams have persisted with.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

The People's Republic of Moreland are once again trying to put a stop to infrastructure, in this case an electrical substation for the nearby trams. Because only in third world countries do you have full size houses built merely centimetres apart, that being the excuse of the day to why nothing should ever change in that district.
timmy1966

Post by timmy1966 »

Hey all,
They already put a stop to the new terminus that was supposed to go in late last year,so once again PT and it's passengers suffer for the car,just ridiculous and pathetic.I f the terminus can't go there then extend the line across the road and up to end of Turner st.Job done. :) :o
B2.2027
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLE Euro 5

Post by B2.2027 »

There must be a shortage of trams at Southbank depot, A2.291 has been on route 96 all day today. A1.243 was on the there this morning, and A1.236 is now there with 291.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Observed on another forum - all-door boarding on the 902. Is this now an official position on the smartbuses, or all buses, or is it just an operator being sensible and pragmatic?
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

tonyp wrote:Observed on another forum - all-door boarding on the 902. Is this now an official position on the smartbuses, or all buses, or is it just an operator being sensible and pragmatic?
Short answer: No, Most if not all operators in Victoria go by the exit only rule for the back door, however there is discretion by the driver to apply the rule. Boardings through the back door occur because of fare evaders/impatient crowds barging on or the drivers allows it.
A potential reason for the board via front door is that drivers need to know passenger count on board as it is an offence to exceed capacity in the regulation/legislation, will need confirm this point.
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

Incorrect. It is against Transdev policy to allow passengers to enter the bus through the rear door as it is a safety hazard and encourages fare evasion and disciplinary action may occur if drivers are found deliberately allowing rear-door boarding to happen. There is no driver discretion.

This policy is the same at every other Victorian bus operator as far as I’m aware.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Alstom 888M wrote:Incorrect. It is against Transdev policy to allow passengers to enter the bus through the rear door as it is a safety hazard and encourages fare evasion and disciplinary action may occur if drivers are found deliberately allowing rear-door boarding to happen. There is no driver discretion.

This policy is the same at every other Victorian bus operator as far as I’m aware.
Well I hope you have a good blind eye to turn, by all accounts! It does seem more like driver discretion to me.

There is certainly a huge mass of bus operations across Australia and around the world with a permanent "safety hazard" then - and fare evasion is only encouraged if you don't police it with an adequate deployment of roving RPOs.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Kew Depot ran A classes on the first 109 (0452 to Box Hill from outside depot) on two consecutive days, I haven't seen this happen in ages. A2 263 on Monday, A2 279 on Tuesday. So much more comfortable than the usual ride, and the perfect time as the 109 isn't a sardine can yet.

Today there was also more bustitution on the Lilydale/Belgrave lines (Mooroolbark/UFG to Blackburn) in the early AM due to a power failure at Ringwood. Not a good time to be on these lines, which also have to contend with bustitution happening at night where the trains are a useless half an hour apart.
Newcastle Flyer

Sydney - Melbourne XPT derails

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

The daytime Sydney to Melbourne XPT derail near Wallan.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... SgzHu4VVH0
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

IEV102 was at Ringwood at 2AM Friday night/Saturday morning, eventually left towards Belgrave with IEV102's newer panto up (the older yellow panto was down), SSR locos T381 leading and T386 trailing.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

"World's Busiest Train Stations, SBS 7.30 pm tonight, features "Melbourne".
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”