CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by Swift »

Sure makes the Gold Coast Light Rail look very golden indeed.
That rates up there with Perth's freeway rail, Adelaide O Bahn and Sydney's Metro on planet Australia.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

C class no. 29 of 1898, representative of the trams that operated the first George St line, has been placed on display next to the tram terminus at CQ.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

C29 at Circular Quay 13-12-2019.jpg
The security guards had been on shift since 1am and were itching to be relived. (Relief turned up while I was chatting). Two of them so each side is under observation at all times.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:I hope they get their act together after the "trial" and not just a token couple of minutes better. This running time is downright embarrassing.
If the light rail is a flop in terms of journey times, Sydney will undoubtedly be used by a certain trackless tram advocate as evidence of the "collosal waste of money" tram tracks represent while peddling the technology to other cities looking to build a light rail... That aside, you still have the problem of the public becoming hostile to future light rail projects if their journey times worsen thanks to a very expensive piece of infrastructure.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

tonyp wrote:I hope they get their act together after the "trial" and not just a token couple of minutes better. This running time is downright embarrassing.
I don't think the average joe is gonna give a XXX about how fast the trip is as long as they have another transport solution that isn't just a bus. Capacity wise, this will be a success from day 1. You've said so yourself this is just a trial. I'm pretty confident it will improve over the next few months.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

STMPainter2018 wrote: I don't think the average joe is gonna give a XXX about how fast as long as they have a transport solution that isn't just a bus. Capacity wise, this will be a success from day 1. You've said so yourself this is just a trial. I'm pretty confident it will improve over the next few months.
I think they will actually give a lot of X if their journey time is significantly longer. Don't forget that large numbers of them will be interchanging to/from buses that formerly went straight through and that interchange time thus also becomes part of total journey time. TfNSW did make a lot of promises about them being faster than the buses several years back and they need to follow through on that. Politcallly also it will be an issue. I would be looking forward to far more than a token improvement. A 30 minute journey is easy meat but somehow even easy meat eludes TfNSW sometimes.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

STMPainter2018 wrote:
tonyp wrote: I don't think the average joe is gonna give a XXX about how fast the trip is as long as they have another transport solution that isn't just a bus.
Of course they'll care. Joe or Jo Citizen will use almost any excuse to drive their car if it seems even remotely competitive with public transport. That's reason enough to make this work from the get-go.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

matthewg wrote:
C29 at Circular Quay 13-12-2019.jpg
The security guards had been on shift since 1am and were itching to be relived. (Relief turned up while I was chatting). Two of them so each side is under observation at all times.
I am SO glad I don't have to keep this a secret anymore. Transport HQ and Council have been umming and ahhhing about this for months now and I'm glad they've come to their senses and let the museum put this historic vehicle on display. It's just like 1997 all over again (C29 was on display in the colonnade when the IWLR officially opened). It's a real credit to museum veterans such as Bill Parkinson for helping to make this idea become a reality. With this, plus the new tram drivers visiting the museum back in November among other things (https://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au/ ... it-to-stm/), I am very optimistic that there will be a strong bond between operators such as Transdev and Loftus. This will seriously have ongoing publicity benefits for STM. Our tramway heritage is being respected and that brings tears of joy to my eyes because I have no life! :lol: This is why it helps to have friends in higher-up positions. Melbourne museums should take notes.... :P
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

STMPainter2018 wrote:
I don't think the average joe is gonna give a XXX about how fast the trip is as long as they have another transport solution that isn't just a bus. Capacity wise, this will be a success from day 1. You've said so yourself this is just a trial. I'm pretty confident it will improve over the next few months.
Judging by the amount of feedback in social media and the press, the "average Joe" locals have already picked up how slow the original guesstimate (35 minutes) compared to the bus journey was, especially after the interchange time was factored in on top of that. Adding another 10-15 minutes will result in an outbreak of bruxism in the south east.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Deleted
Last edited by tonyp on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Just remember that the seat of Coogee elected a Labor MP who claimed the light rail was at the centre of every single problem in the Eastern Suburbs. If its slower than the buses over the longer term when the buses disappear, expect to hear a lot of noise from her. She is also really pushing the anti bus privatisation campaign in the area too, so I'm sure she would happily take up the fight for faster trams should the need be. She does a good job representing constituent concerns, I like her and the effort she puts in.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote:How did the expectations of optimum performance from a very expensive product and fulfilment of political promises previously made turn into autism?
Who mentioned autism?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote:Who mentioned autism?
There was an inappropriate post made that has since been deleted.
mubd

Post by mubd »

The first trams left around 8 this morning carrying dignitaries and winners of that DT competition. A cyclist with a camera trying to take pictures on the tracks inadvertently rode in front of the first tram and got a few dings for his pleasure...
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote:There was an inappropriate post made that has since been deleted.
I've deleted my post since the original reference is no longer there. Well, at least I've deleted my text since the capability of fully deleting a post seems to have disappeared among the other recent technical quirks that have appeared on this forum platform.
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

Medical Emergency somewhere and no trams are currently moving through Randwick. Tram I’m on at UNSW High Street hasn’t moved in 10 minutes
boronia

Post by boronia »

Service alerts showing "medical emergency at Haymarket".

First victim?
@ The Museum of Fire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

boronia wrote:Service alerts showing "medical emergency at Haymarket".

First victim?
Hopefully it's not someone who had their eyes glued to the phone whilst crossing the road :(
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Must have been just after I went through. Got off at Haymarket just before 1230 and all going ok.

From the brochure being handed out

Note that Opal transfer discounts do not apply to transfers between light rail and Sydney Ferries outside of Circular Quay - so transfers at Circular Quay but not at Pyrmont Bay, or Barangaroo if you walk up to George St

No suggestion that the Moore Park Bus Interchange (as the stops are named) will become an Interchange - the gates were closed today and there is certainly no sign of a stop closer to the light rail stop on the busway.

Haymarket Bus platform also wasn't open today. Helper didn't know when it would when I asked

On the whole fairly impressed today. Most impressive thing was the listing of connections on the PIDs, voice announcements and internal maps.
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

Stuck at Wynyard, major technical failure. No trams moving on APS. 100 minute travel time so far from Randwick.

Edit: Got kicked off the tram at Wynyard . No services between Town Hall and Circular Quay. Reduced Frequency and delays between Town Hall and Randwick
Last edited by J_Busworth on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mubd

Post by mubd »

Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I did not think there was such a things as "section" fares these days.
Living in the Shire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Sydney Trains Vlogs got video up showing CQ today. No interior shots however.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Is that someone giving right-a-way??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

mubd wrote:
Was that someone giving a Right-A-Way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”