Private Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Private Observations 2019

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:
ouchmychin wrote:Both are MAN 18.320 Bustech VST's, with 5997 being a Voith and 6118 a ZF EcoLife
Here's another fact about those two Busabout MANs m/o 5997 was formally at Busways with a number in the 11xx number range but I can't remember what the exact fleet number was and m/o 6118 was apart of the mass Busabout/Transport For NSW order for the 2014 region 15 contract
The ZF should be an 18.310. The Voith DIWA transmitted MANs are 18.320s and what rocket ships they are! They roar past my house every day so get the pleasure of hearing their retardation devices deploy at the nearby roundabout in Ettalong Beach. :D
It's reminiscent of London MCW Metrobuses going by.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
bussie

Post by bussie »

Swift wrote:
Campbelltown busboy wrote:Here's another fact about those two Busabout MANs m/o 5997 was formally at Busways with a number in the 11xx number range but I can't remember what the exact fleet number was and m/o 6118 was apart of the mass Busabout/Transport For NSW order for the 2014 region 15 contract
The ZF should be an 18.310. The Voith DIWA transmitted MANs are 18.320s and what rocket ships they are! They roar past my house every day so get the pleasure of hearing their retardation devices deploy at the nearby roundabout in Ettalong Beach. :D
The 18.310s have the older Ecomats, the 18.320 is fitted with the ZF Ecolife as default, Voith is offered as an option.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Does anybody find it odd that on a day when all schools are closed, the school buses are still required to do their scheduled runs, cruising around carrying only fresh air?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not all schools are closed - see list of closed schools https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-sch ... erational0
Busways has advertised the school routes which are not operating see https://www.busways.com.au/planned-service-changes
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Still on this subject, I just received an update email from Busways.
Route 353
Services are cancelled due to fires in the area of operation.
Route 355
• Services will not operate on Armidale Rd between Bellbrook and Yarravel. These stops will be missed:
o Main St at East St, Bellbrook (Stop ID 244097)
o Willawarrin Hotel, Armidale Rd, Willawarrin (Stop ID 244096)
o Armidale Rd opp Willawarrin Hotel, Willawarrin (Stop ID 244095)
o Armidale Rd at Turners Flat Rd, Skillion Flat (Stop ID 244093)
o Armidale Rd opp Turners Flat Rd, Skillion Flat (Stop ID 244094)
• Customers can check this map for missed stop locations.
School bus services
• School buses will continue to run today (Tue 12 Nov), however will not service schools which are closed on Tuesday 12 November. Parents should check if their school is closed before making school bus travel arrangements.
• School buses operating north of Skillion Flat at Turners Flat Rd will not be operating. This will include school buses servicing Willi Willi Rd and Moporrabah Rd.
• The following services are cancelled for this afternoon:
o School Bus 15
o School Bus 16
o School Bus 17
o School Bus 18
o School Bus 19
o School Bus 28
o School Bus 33
o School Bus 37
o School Bus 38
o School Bus 42
o School Bus 51
o School Bus 52
o School Bus 53
o School Bus 54
o School Bus 55
o School Bus 56
o School Bus 57
o School Bus 76
Non-operational schools
Some schools are closed today (Tuesday 12 November) due to fires in the area.
Visit the NSW Department of Education website for non-operational school updates and a list of public and non-government schools affected. Route 353
Route 355
• Services will not operate on Armidale Rd between Bellbrook and Yarravel. These stops will be missed:
School bus services
• School buses will continue to run today (Tue 12 Nov), however will not service schools which are closed on Tuesday 12 November. Parents should check if their school is closed before making school bus travel arrangements.
• School buses operating north of Skillion Flat at Turners Flat Rd will not be operating. This will include school buses servicing Willi Willi Rd and Moporrabah Rd.
o School Bus 15
o School Bus 16
o School Bus 17
o School Bus 18
o School Bus 19
o School Bus 28
o School Bus 33
o School Bus 37
o School Bus 38
o School Bus 42
o School Bus 51
o School Bus 52
o School Bus 53
o School Bus 54
o School Bus 55
o School Bus 56
o School Bus 57
o School Bus 76
Non-operational schools
Visit the NSW Department of Education website for non-operational school updates and a list of public and non-government schools affected.
Route 353
Route 355
School bus services
o School Bus 15
o School Bus 16
o School Bus 17
o School Bus 18
o School Bus 19
o School Bus 28
o School Bus 33
o School Bus 37
o School Bus 38
o School Bus 42
o School Bus 51
o School Bus 52
o School Bus 53
o School Bus 54
o School Bus 55
o School Bus 56
o School Bus 57
o School Bus 76
Non-operational schools
Visit the NSW Department of Education website for non-operational school updates and a list of public and non-government schools affected.
See previous post for link
Living in the Shire.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

bussie wrote:
Swift wrote: The ZF should be an 18.310. The Voith DIWA transmitted MANs are 18.320s and what rocket ships they are! They roar past my house every day so get the pleasure of hearing their retardation devices deploy at the nearby roundabout in Ettalong Beach. :D
The 18.310s have the older Ecomats, the 18.320 is fitted with the ZF Ecolife as default, Voith is offered as an option.
The majority of Busways' 18.310s have Ecomat boxes, though there are a rare few examples that have the Voith transmission (iirc 968, 969 and 970 at Glendenning have them). The majority, if not all of Busways' 18.320s delivered to Regions 1 and 15 as well as the Central Coast have Voith boxes.
bussie

Post by bussie »

crazyturbo76 wrote:
bussie wrote: The 18.310s have the older Ecomats, the 18.320 is fitted with the ZF Ecolife as default, Voith is offered as an option.
The majority of Busways' 18.310s have Ecomat boxes, though there are a rare few examples that have the Voith transmission (iirc 968, 969 and 970 at Glendenning have them). The majority, if not all of Busways' 18.320s delivered to Regions 1 and 15 as well as the Central Coast have Voith boxes.
Busways is probably the only one to have chosen the Voith option on the 18.320s. Most other operators stuck with the default ZF Ecolife.
Swift

Post by Swift »

bussie wrote: Busways is probably the only one to have chosen the Voith option on the 18.320s. Most other operators stuck with the default ZF Ecolife.
I thought MAN chose Voith as the default choice.
I never would have imagined Busways end up a large taker of the Voith option after decades of being a mostly ZF fleet. They must have seen the benefits of a smooth ride and improved fuel economy.
I notice some drivers abuse the box by unnecessarily heavy acceleration in first gear. It must put strain on it over time with this inefficient driving practise and make the transmission very hot with the huge torque loads these modern engines put out.
bussie

Post by bussie »

Swift wrote:
bussie wrote: Busways is probably the only one to have chosen the Voith option on the 18.320s. Most other operators stuck with the default ZF Ecolife.
I thought MAN chose Voith as the default choice.
I never would have imagined Busways end up a large taker of the Voith option after decades of being a mostly ZF fleet. They must have seen the benefits of a smooth ride and improved fuel economy.
I notice some drivers abuse the box by unnecessarily heavy acceleration in first gear. It must put strain on it over time with this inefficient driving practise and make the transmission very hot with the huge torque loads these modern engines put out.
ZF provides better fuel economy than Voiths as they operate with more gears on lower revs. The Ecolife improves on that difference, the ZF Ecolife is also smoother than the previous generation Ecomat and their competitors.

Most, if not all of the manufacturers, are moving towards ZF Ecolife or Allison transmission (mainly for Cummins engines) for their diesel products in the Australian market. It will be hard to find a brand new (ie less than 2 years old) Voith powered bus in Australia.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Why did Hong Kong operate almost exclusively Voith gearboxes for decades, despite hilly typography? Because they are a vastly superior transmission to the temperamental and jerky ZF. Busways has evidently latched into this and know the vast chasm in passenger experience between their woeful ZF MANs with their grisly jerking compared to the tram like smoothness of their more powerful Voith transmitted 18.320s. The "Egolife" still has problems with excessive downchanges upon reaching stops if STA and now TSA's Scania K -series are an indication. It's a shame Scania won't even offer the Voith as an option as it would help smooth out the inherent coarseness of the Scania product.
bussie

Post by bussie »

Swift wrote:Why did Hong Kong operate almost exclusively Voith gearboxes for decades, despite hilly typography? Because they are a vastly superior transmission to the temperamental and jerky ZF. Busways has evidently latched into this and know the vast chasm in passenger experience between their woeful ZF MANs with their grisly jerking compared to the tram like smoothness of their more powerful Voith transmitted 18.320s. The "Egolife" still has problems with excessive downchanges upon reaching stops if STA and now TSA's Scania K -series are an indication. It's a shame Scania won't even offer the Voith as an option as it would help smooth out the inherent coarseness of the Scania product.
In the world of fuel efficiency, the ZF out performs Voith significantly, to the extent that even Hong Kong bus companies have had entire and successive orders of buses fitted with ZF transmission. The ratio in Hong Kong now, based on a rough guess, is a majority ZF fleet. If Voith were that good, they wouldn't had ceded so much over the years in so many markets. The only place where they still outsell the ZF is South America.

If you get a chance to board a ZF Ecolife MAN or Volvo, you will feel the smoothness of it all.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I guess the field has changed. The Voith is essentially based on a 1973 design, where the Ecomat came out in 1980 now with a virtually all new reiteration of the Ecomat concept that has leapfrogged Voith. Maybe generous warranty and discounted price point are their main appeal until they come up with some seriously clever tricks with their offering or they may just quit the game altogether and stick to paper machines.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Nothing major but I noticed m/o 6854 still has it's Linkt e-Tag on it, seems like when they got transferred down here they didn't really bother taking any unnecessary items from the bus

Also I was at Newcastle Interchange yesterday morning, two Rover Coaches branded "Spaceships" were parked a little up from the Interchange, then a HVB Scania SB400 pulled up with "NOT IN SERVICE" outside the Interchange. Oddly too there was some sort of secrete train replacement at Maitland on Tuesday despite trains running and alerts mentioning nothing, Rover had one of their Denning Highfloors there while HVB Thornton had one MAN 12.220 CB30 and a Volvo B7RLE CR228L. All had destos set to "Train Replacement". There was no Marshall about for me to ask what was going on.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

ST and Trainlink are getting very pro-active lately and often arrange buses to standby at the least likelihood of possible disruptions to services. A much better approach than waiting for something to actually happen.

There were nine coaches on standby at Penrith on Tuesday afternoon/evening; response to predictions of strong winds and possible bushfire activity in the Blue Mountains. I don't think they were actually used.

Even when there are disruptions to T1 services in the metropolitan area, buses are bought in to cover the outer ends of the line so trains can be turned back early to recover their timetables.

Marshals aren't usually provided, station staff usually manage to handle the situation quite well.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

On the hunter line, it's rare for disruptions to happen.. well actually, disruptions where replacement buses would actually be needed but I guess good on them for being a step ahead if they think something is going to go amiss instead of them organising last second and then creating even bigger delays.

If I can guess what was going on at Maitland, my guess is they were worried something would happen up towards Singleton with the fires & winds cutting the line off hence why they were there on Tuesday, I haven't had the opptunity again this week to see if they were still sitting at Maitland after Tuesday.

I've only seen an emergency rail replacement around here once in the last two years (this year, last year) and that was some time last year I can't remember exactly when but Newcastle Transport of all companies was actually running it. Felt weird seeing ex STA branded buses in my area, I was hoping during the weekday replacement last month they'd sneak back in but nope. They must only come in if it's an emergency or the other operators can't make it for what ever reason. Since there's Rover, PSCs, HVB, I think the odds of seeing NT operate RR again are slim.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Stu

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote:ST and Trainlink are getting very pro-active lately and often arrange buses to standby at the least likelihood of possible disruptions to services. A much better approach than waiting for something to actually happen.

There were nine coaches on standby at Penrith on Tuesday afternoon/evening; response to predictions of strong winds and possible bushfire activity in the Blue Mountains. I don't think they were actually used.

Even when there are disruptions to T1 services in the metropolitan area, buses are bought in to cover the outer ends of the line so trains can be turned back early to recover their timetables.

Marshals aren't usually provided, station staff usually manage to handle the situation quite well.

The Transport Management Centre is the authority in charge of managing emergency bus replacement for train, ferry & tram. There has been a number of instances over the past 8 months that have seen buses on stand by for Sydney Trains as a proactive measure in preparation for a potential threat to the train network. Other locations that have been used for stand by buses are Sydenham, Lidcombe, Bankstown, Kingsgrove and Central. The TMC sometimes specifically request for a marshal which is not always easily achieved depending on the bus operator, STA & TSA can usually send a mobile supervisor for the entire duration or initially until another staff member can be arranged to assist as a marshal.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

There's a bus in an all over wrap for TAB running a shuttle to the Newcastle Races this weekend. Looks quite good in that livery.

https://twitter.com/tabcomau/status/1195215401451311105

Anybody have an idea about it's history? Looks like an early model Volvo B10M with a Volgren body.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It looks like
Operator EBus Pty Ltd - Tahmoor
Registration TV 8823
Chassis Type Volvo B10M Mk II
Chassis No YV31MKC15HD?15303
Body Manufacturer Volgren
Body No VG218
Body Date 9/88
Seating Codes B57F
Notes Reg 25/10/17 ex B Calabro & Sons Pty Ltd t/a Hawkesbury Valley Buses, Oakville 1699 MO 10/17; ex Fearnes Investments Pty Ltd t/a Busabout, Wagga Wagga 1699 MO by 4/14; ex Nevilles Bus Service Pty Ltd t/a Busabout, West Hoxton 1699 MO 7/10; ex MO 2338 4/09; ex B Calabro & Sons Pty Ltd t/a Hawkesbury Valley Bus & Coach, Oakville MO 2338 by 3/03; ex Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd, Dampier, WA (5-7) 7NR-072 -/93.
Dereg by 12/18. Offered for sale through Manheim Auctions, Moorebank 22/5/19.
Date Last Change 13/05/2019
Was for sale in May this year and appears to have been reregd CV20PX since then.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Noticed AF54QA is listed for sale on Facebook around Millfield, 1995 MAN MIDI but not sure of the body type, anyone know what body it is and which operators it spent time with in the past if any?

I've got a photo of said bus going around Gosford last year as a Retirement Village bus (Which is rare as most use Coasters & Rosas) but that's as much as I've got.

It's Vin ends in 0104.
bjg154

Post by bjg154 »

It's MAN 10.180 6AB7520003MC00104 with GBW body C85 of 6/1990, new to Tropic Wings Tours of Cairns as (20) 743 AWG. It's been in NSW since 6/2005 but its ownership had gone unreported until now.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Today 17 November, is 100 years to the day since the first bus service began plying between Katoomba railway station and Echo Point.
This is still the foundation of Route 686, now a loop service that also takes in Scenic World. Checking todays timetable there is a bus every 5 minutes during middle of the day,
making for about 70 plus services per day. This must make it close to the busiest in NSW ?

Here's a link to an item in the Blue Mountains Gazette about where it all began (More history than buses).

https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au ... e/?cs=1432
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Announcement on FB today that Deanes Transport has gone into Voluntary Administration.

The company will continue to trade pending a restructure of its operations.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways 1023 on the 776 this morning first time a repainted man from Glendenning has worked to Penrith?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Centralian wrote:Today 17 November, is 100 years to the day since the first bus service began plying between Katoomba railway station and Echo Point.
This is still the foundation of Route 686, now a loop service that also takes in Scenic World. Checking todays timetable there is a bus every 5 minutes during middle of the day,
making for about 70 plus services per day. This must make it close to the busiest in NSW ?

Here's a link to an item in the Blue Mountains Gazette about where it all began (More history than buses).

https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au ... e/?cs=1432
One of the busy routes in terms of trips, but nowhere near the busiest- for example the 333 probably has double that number on a Sunday.
BW44YS
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405

Post by BW44YS »

1023 Was Deilvered in TfNSW
Join My Facebook Group's

Busways Group-Rowes Bus Service
https://www.facebook.com/groups/276161732537378/

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”