Parramatta light rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Parramatta light rail

Post by Swift »

To be fair, the Carlo line was never built with the intention to become a commuter line I believe. It's a truncated produce line.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote:To be fair, the Carlo line was never built with the intention to become a commuter line I believe. It's a truncated produce line.
I'm not sure if this wiki page on the Carlingford line is 100% accurate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlingford_railway_line
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

In what respect do you think it is not accurate?
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The line north of Rosehill was a private venture and was intended to go to Dural but they ran out of money after reaching Carlingford. There was a bank foreclosure in the 1890s and the line was sold to the government. At that time it was a rural line.
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote:In what respect do you think it is not accurate?
what I meant was I thought the page was only 99.2% accurate
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That still does not say what the inaccurate 0.8% is.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote:That still does not say what the inaccurate 0.8% is.
The pre government ownership of the line would be that 0.8% inaccuracy how would some random person know that the line was privately owned until 1898 and how did tonyp know about the Dural extension and all the money and bank issues that the owners had before the handover to the government that weren't even mentioned in the wiki entry
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

In view of the comments above regarding the extended travel times as a result of buses going to Parramatta, would there be any benefit of them going to Granville instead?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:That still does not say what the inaccurate 0.8% is.
The pre government ownership of the line would be that 0.8% inaccuracy how would some random person know that the line was privately owned until 1898 and how did tonyp know about the Dural extension and all the money and bank issues that the owners had before the handover to the government that weren't even mentioned in the wiki entry
The Sydney Area Transportation Study (SATS), published in 1974, had proposed that the Carlingford Line should be extended from Carlingford to Beecroft on the Northern Line with a connection from Camellia to Parramatta (sound familiar) to provide a direct rail link between Hornsby and Parramatta. Interestingly, it had also proposed a North West Rail Link, branching from the Western Line at Westmead to connect with the Richmond Line at Windsor via Northmead, Winston Hills, Baulkham Hills, West Castle Hill and Kellyville. This was of course when development in the Macquarie Park area was in its infancy and east-west rail connections on the north side of the harbour weren't considered.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

boronia wrote:In view of the comments above regarding the extended travel times as a result of buses going to Parramatta, would there be any benefit of them going to Granville instead?
The whole point of buses running to Parramatta is to get people ready for the Light Rail starting from Parramatta. It does not make sense to run it anywhere else.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: and how did tonyp know about the Dural extension and all the money and bank issues that the owners had before the handover to the government that weren't even mentioned in the wiki entry
Because I was there at the time. :wink:

Seriously - railway history books on my bookshelf such as William Bayley's histories of the Sydney suburban lines. Admittedly somebody could have made a better effort with the history in the Wiki article.
ed24

Post by ed24 »

Do we think there will be any farewell events for the line (F1 runs or something) - or kept low-key? I'd certainly like to head out and travel the line while I can considering I never have before.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ed24 wrote:Do we think there will be any farewell events for the line (F1 runs or something) - or kept low-key? I'd certainly like to head out and travel the line while I can considering I never have before.
I'll just treasure my memory of riding the line in a Tin Hare and the level crossing gatekeepers!
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

boronia wrote:In view of the comments above regarding the extended travel times as a result of buses going to Parramatta, would there be any benefit of them going to Granville instead?
well going direct from Camellia to Granville would save time, but T1 trains don't stop at Granville any more. It is physically shorter and you are not going 3 km out of the way and avoiding the traffic holdups at Parramatta.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There is a 30 min T1 stopping pattern at Granville and Clyde, presumably to match the T6 connections. They could continue this but drop the Clyde stop. Granville will also have SIX T2 services per hour to the city.
@ The Museum of Fire.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

ed24 wrote:Do we think there will be any farewell events for the line (F1 runs or something) - or kept low-key? I'd certainly like to head out and travel the line while I can considering I never have before.
At this stage it is proposed that F1 will operate a number of shuttles on the Carlingford line prior to closure.
http://www.schoolpa.com.au/RedSetF1/unc ... -and-news/

Although this has not yet been confirmed by THNSW
swtt

Post by swtt »

boronia wrote:There is a 30 min T1 stopping pattern at Granville and Clyde, presumably to match the T6 connections. They could continue this but drop the Clyde stop. Granville will also have SIX T2 services per hour to the city.
Only on weekends. Practically during weekday regular hours nothing on the T1 stops at Granville or Clyde.

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

boronia wrote:They could continue this but drop the Clyde stop. Granville will also have SIX T2 services per hour to the city.
Clyde gets a fair few passengers in it's own right. There's a couple of large employers in the area.

In the section between Lidcombe and Parramatta, the train service is generally better for all intermediate stations on weekends than it is during the weekday off-peak period.

Auburn, Granville and Clyde have 4tph from Leppington (limited stops) and 2tph from Parramatta (slow) on weekdays, but the former two get 4tph from Leppington plus 4tph from Penrith (both limited stops, but the latter is faster) on weekends. Auburn in particular has quite a few passengers travelling to Parramatta who contribute to the loadings of those half hourly slow services.

Clyde only has 4tph on weekends, entirely from Penrith, but it does keep that frequency until the last service, unlike on weeknights when it cuts back to half hourly after 10pm when it switches from being serviced by T2 to T1. Oddly the T2 doesn't service that station at all on weekends.

And poor old Harris Park only gets 2tph during the day (aside from the Cumberland line), being trains that stop at all stations to the city, but gets 4tph of limited stops T1 services on weekends!
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

boronia wrote:There is a 30 min T1 stopping pattern at Granville and Clyde, presumably to match the T6 connections. They could continue this but drop the Clyde stop. Granville will also have SIX T2 services per hour to the city.
There is a 15 min T1 frequency from Granville and Clyde stations.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
boronia

Post by boronia »

swtt wrote:
Only on weekends. Practically during weekday regular hours nothing on the T1 stops at Granville or Clyde.

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk
The T1 timetable shows a 30 min service all day, but on closer look they have overlaid T2 Parramatta times into it.
@ The Museum of Fire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

boronia wrote: The T1 timetable shows a 30 min service all day, but on closer look they have overlaid T2 Parramatta times into it.
Correct. Hence it's not a T1 service, but a T2 Inner West service. Operated by Sector 2 rollingstock allocations.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Noticed traffic lights being placed on George St in the Westbound direction, while it currently is one way eastbound.

Does this mean that Macquarie St is being closed to traffic to make way for the light rail and George St is being made two way? Or perhaps just Macquarie St is being narrowed and they hope a two way George St will take some of the load? Either way, I'm not looking forward to this. Traffic is going to be hell and so is parking.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Detailed descriptions found here: http://parramattalightrail.nsw.gov.au/e ... road-works

"To offset the loss of westbound lanes in Macquarie Street due to the future light rail route, George Street in the Parramatta CBD will become two-way, efficiently moving traffic through the heart of Parramatta and redistributing traffic volumes across the local road network.

The Gasworks Bridge underpass accessed via George Street will be closed to general traffic, expanding the public domain of the Parramatta River Foreshore Reserve. Works will include the addition of a through-lane and shared through/left-hand-turn from George Street onto Macarthur Street, and a dedicated right-hand turn from George Street onto Harris Street."
simonl

Post by simonl »

Thanks, but I'm still confused. Will 0 traffic lanes be provided on Macquarie St? Never seen that announced but I haven't followed it very closely at all over the last few years.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

simonl wrote:Thanks, but I'm still confused. Will 0 traffic lanes be provided on Macquarie St? Never seen that announced but I haven't followed it very closely at all over the last few years.
Earlier photo montages after construction was completed had shown a single westbound traffic lane in Macquarie St. I don't know if this is still the case.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”