Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 46

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
leyland4ever

Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 46

Post by leyland4ever »

719  Harcourt Gardens Albion VK43L  Marion  1-77
719 Harcourt Gardens Albion VK43L Marion 1-77
729  Campbell Depot  73  Parkholme  Fleet 1-77
729 Campbell Depot 73 Parkholme Fleet 1-77
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Adelaide Bus History C MCMANUS SUPPLIED IMAGES Part 46

Post by system improver »

Campbell's had CAC Bedfords in the 1950s, experimented with the CMV Commer (soon sold) and then went to AEC Reliances - all with Freighter bodies. They had some (?) with the 1960 body style which were sold early as well. The photo shows 6 (of the 7) with the 1962 front which lasted until takeover and then went into the STA fleet. After 1965, they received Hinos.

I believe that the family who ran Harcourt Gardens still run buses today.
Last edited by system improver on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks system improver.
From what I've seen Campbells operated a very professional service with a high quality fleet.The fleet list I have shows he basically purchased new heavy duty buses nearly every year.
You are correct on Harcourt Gardens Bus Service.The Quincey family founded that business in 1950.After the sale to STA on 24/2/74 with 12 buses,they established the Adelaide Coachlines Pty.Ltd charter and private school contract business which is still operated by the family.67 years of operation in the tough Adelaide market.Pretty good going I reckon.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

The STA had a variety of those Freighter bodied buses.Here are a few of them after they were sold off,still in STA livery around 1980 to 1982.
Attachments
f (302 x 314).jpg
f (302 x 314).jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 11315 times
Bus10 001 (327 x 253).jpg
Bus10 001 (327 x 253).jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 11315 times
Bus8 001 (323 x 254).jpg
Bus8 001 (323 x 254).jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 11315 times
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

One of Campbell`s AEC Reliance heading to Marion shopping centre.Picture from the Graeme Turnbull collection
Attachments
CAMPBELL`S BUS SERVICES AEC RELIANCE 161-911
CAMPBELL`S BUS SERVICES AEC RELIANCE 161-911
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

The Freighter bodied AEC Reliances must have all been sold off at some point before or after 1980.In the time my father,Jack Sellick bought the various Leylands,Bedfords,Comairs,Hino's,etc I dont recall ever seeing the Freighter AEC Reliances ex STA,
ex Campbell's,except for one similar Freighter/AEC.Refer photo below. Does anyone know where all the others went to at the time?
Attachments
k (313 x 316).jpg
k (313 x 316).jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 11290 times
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Denv12,

The bus in your picture was one of Henstridge's AECs, before STA takeover...

Paul.
Last edited by paulgersche on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system improver

More likely after sale to STA and awaiting disposal, as Denv12 suggests, in 1980.

Here is an Andrew Potts picture of one before acquisition by the STA:
Andrew Potts Volume 2 508 - Copy.jpg
Andrew Potts Volume 2 508 - Copy.jpg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 11279 times
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Wow - I didn't expect much, if any, reaction to this group of photos!

I caught Campbell's (and Bridgland's) buses to and from North Plympton to Marion to and from school between 1962 and 1966, so I got to know both companies' buses pretty well - they shared operation of the Seacombe Gardens, Dover Gardens, Paringa Park and Warradale routes until October 1965, when they were restructured.
Before then, you had a Bridgland's bus one day, a Campbell's the next and so on.

Campbell's still had quite a number of CAC Bedfords in 1962 - all petrol, expect No 7, which had a diesel engine. (I was rather wet behind the ears then, and wondered why No 7 was so much noisier - I had the idea that the engine was about to explode! The petrol engines when idling were just as quiet as the MTT trolleybuses!)

Yes, as systemimprover says, they also had two Commers (Freighter), and, I think. four of the early 1960 Freighter bodied Reliances - these last were my favourites.

Yes - the two Commers were sold off quite early, one going to Bridgland's as their No 15 - don't know what happened to the other.

I always remember my first sighting of the first 'lantern-front" Reliance, No 9. It was late 1962 - I got on my bus on Marion Road, a little before Mooringe Ave. As we headed down Marion Road, I caught a glimpse of something totally unexpected just coming across Anzac Highway - from a distance, it looked as though the whole front was made of glass! (not all that far from the truth, actually! This was the era of early space exploration, Sputniks, satellites, whatever! So nothing was really a surprise - this had clearly been designed by NASA! I couldn't wait to get a ride on it, and I was soon able to - in the same week, I think.

The interior didn't match up to the promise of the exterior - basically not much different to the older Reliances.

Soon further of these space machines appeared, replacing, not so much the Bedfords, but the earlier Reliances (Campbell's purchases and disposals didn't always make a lot of sense!)

Then in 1965, something again quite different - a Hino demonstrator, with two doors, and fully automatic transmission, appeared! (No 8)

Most of the Bedfords, and all the earlier Reliances had gone by this time, but one Bedford still remained - No 13 - this had high back seats, and was painted a little differently with more green on the front, and tinted windows! It seemed to be mostly used on charter work, and was not often out on route service. When it was, it was usually driven by the manager.

One afternoon, late in 1965, I was on my way home, when we passed No 13 heading towards Seacombe Gardens on a service run . A little further along, we passed the next bus heading south, and our driver called out to that driver "Why is No 13 out?" The reply was "They've got the automatic in pieces on the workshop floor!"

It didn't remain an automatic for long - a standard manual box was fitted, and at the same time, the centre door was removed.

Further Hinos followed right up to the time of the MTT takeover in 1974, including two full coaches.

By this time, all the Bedfords had gone, and even the first lantern-front Reliance, No 9, had been disposed of.

There was a bus numbered 7309 in the fleet in MTT days, but this was not the original Campbell Reliance - the MTT sent Morphett's solitary Reliance to Campbells - it had a similar body, and renumbered it to fill the gap. Ironically, it rarely, if ever, operated from Campbell's depot. I recall it spending some time at Ex-Servicemen's, and possible also at Choats.

And, Burrumbus, yes - Campbell's always kept their fleet immaculate- I cannot recall ever seeing a bus dirty, or in any way below par.

Bridgland's had a much more varied fleet, including the ex MTT Daimler Freeline (No 166), which was Bridgland's Number 5 - we usually had that on the morning run to school on Bridgland's days.

And Denv12, I can't recall just when the Campbells Reliances were sold by the MTT - they certainly weren't in the early withdrawals in 1977 when Volvo B59s arrived in quantity.

A number of ex-private buses were kept even after all the B59s had been delivered, to operate hills, and outer south and north services until the B58s arrived. I seem to remember that the Campbell Reliances were amongst this group, and possibly operated the route 700(?) service along States Road in Morphett Vale, at one stage, and possibly on other such routes.
\
When I get time, I'll have a hunt back through the old Fleetline magazines of the era - they kept pretty up-to-date with that sort of 'gen' (Neil Mackintosh was one of the enthusaists who provided this information.)

The Henstridge Reliances, also referred to, I think also continued in MTT use for some time. In 1976, preparatory to the impending opening of Morphettville depot in early 1977, the MTT began painting a number of ex-private buses into MTT silver, to avoid confusion if they were required to operate on routes other than their own, once Morphettville opened.

Henstridge routes were slated to become the first to be operated by the Volvo B59s, so Henstridge buses were almost all painted silver in 1976 - in the case of the Reliances, instead of being painted, they actually had all the paint removed! As they had a lot of bare aluminium to start with, it was simpler to remove the green with paint stripper, and leave them as all-over aluminium! They used to do this in their depot yard in between peak hour runs - it wasn't unusual to see a bus running with green on one side, and bare aluminium on the other! It was wild times in those days!

I'll see if I can find out where the Henstridge Reliances went to as well!

Cheers,

trevor
system improver

Great memories Trevor. I wonder if there was any other operation in Australia like the original Campbell's/Bridgland - one day on a timetabled run, the next day off that run.

T&BT March 1961 had a story on the operation. The original two operators dated from the late 1920s - G Sinfeld and P Weaver. Arthur Bridgland bought Sinfeld's service in 1936. Ron Campbell began working for Weaver in 1942. He left the business to join the army but rejoined in 1945 when Mr Weaver's son, Eric, purchased the business. Ron Campbell went into partnership with Eric Weaver in 1946 and purchased his partner's share in March1953. He set about fleet renewal and used the CAC Bedford as his choice. He was quoted, " I can honestly say that the Bedfords made my business", something that was echoed around Australia after the war and up to 1970.

In 1961, Bridglands had 12 buses - 10 on the road and two spares - being 4 Commers, 3 Bedfords, 2 Albion Aberdonian, 2 Guy and the one ex MTT Daimler. Campbell's also had 12 buses - 10 Bedfords and 2 Commers. The first AEC would arrive later in the year.

The article states that the 1957 CMV Commer was basically an Avenger chassis with the engine moved back to a central underfloor position. It proved to be a good seller in Adelaide to a few private operators (especially Bowman's), but I don't think any were purchased elsewhere. At the same time, earlier in fact (late 1956), Freighter were developing the Monobus with a Commer engine in Melbourne. It was more successful (in terms of units sold), but few were sold outside Victoria. Both were around the same price as a Reliance or Royal Tiger Cub, which rather sealed their fate.

Here is the 1961 route map that was in T&BT. If you click on the image and then the enlargement you will see the route variations shown with small numbers (1,2,3,4 and 5):
IMGP3163 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by system improver on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here Bridglands 5 ex MTT Adelaide 166 painted gold.Picture from the Graeme Turnbull collection
Attachments
BRIDGLANDS PASSENGER TRANSPORT SERVICE 5 DAIMLER FREELINE 6HLW 385-132
BRIDGLANDS PASSENGER TRANSPORT SERVICE 5 DAIMLER FREELINE 6HLW 385-132
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Thanks Trevor. Please keep posting your collection of Adelaide bus and coach photos just on this post.Photos like these are from my era.Some great history of Adelaide bus services.And,its good to see this post getting more responses. I think there's a demand for a book catering for all these Adelaide private buses.I'd buy a copy if a book got published.Anyone else?
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I think Tony Finneron has plans for a book on private operators in Adelaide, sometime in the future - his books are first rate with a lot of good photographs.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Tim Williams wrote:I think Tony Finneron has plans for a book on private operators in Adelaide, sometime in the future - his books are first rate with a lot of good photographs.
Thats great news,Tim.I think we should all contribute photos so we can help make the book even better.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes agree 100%, but also this wonderful series of recollections from Trevor and also others should be gathered together and perhaps be part of another publication. The other reason I say this is that the top quality books being produced by Tony are more photograph driven and I feel certain that sheer number of photos are published (for completeness) preclude long narrative sections.

I will contact Tony see find out what format an SA metro private operators book would take.

This whole topic of photos and history/recollections from Trevor and others is fantastic - please keep it up!!!
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Great stuff everyone.I am thoroughly enjoying this series.I wish I had seen them in action !! Thanks to Trevor for putting it all up.
Tony produces great books,but I think a history on the Adelaide operators definately needs much narrative to detail the development of each individual business Ian Hammond has done a couple of nice articles for the Sydney bus magazine ,paticularily on Worthleys and Roy Platt has recently done several articles on the Bowmans and Lewis Bros.and Quest Tours businesses.Steven Haby has done articles for ABP on the Adelaide route network at that period.By marrying a lot of that together a great history could be written.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

paulgersche wrote:Denv12,

The bus in your picture was one of Henstridge's AECs, before STA takeover...

Paul.
Thanks Paul.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I love the idea of a comprehensive book on Adelaide buses,say up to the takeover of STA.There have been a few some interesting reads over the years.I think if anyone wanted to put a book together it would take a lot of effort.We could start by doing a survey to get some idea of how many would be interested in such a book.

Thanks Trevor for posting your photos.Keep adding to this post.Love the history.

Here's one of my previous posts listing Adelaide bus companies:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 45&t=76874

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”