Electric Infrastructure Rail Vehicle in RAC Yellow

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Electric Infrastructure Rail Vehicle in RAC Yellow

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Bright yellow electric infrastructure rail vehicle seen at approx 14:30 on Monday 17.12.2020 travelling to Perth between Karrakatta and Shenton Park stations (Fremantle Line).

Yellow colour is similar to the bright yellow used for RAC roadside assistance vehicles. Perhaps this vehicle has a role in rescuing rail cars by bringing trouble-shooter staff to incapacitated rail cars on the new Airport line to get them moving again, or if necessary, shunt them to where passengers can disembark and, eventually, to where the rail car can be repaired.

PS: Yes I’m back and living in Shenton Park, at one time long ago serviced by the West Subiaco bus service which later became the Emu Bus service with depot in Onslow Road between Excelsior Street and Derby Road, Shenton Park.
Squiddy

Re: Electric Infrastructure Rail Vehicle in RAC Yellow

Post by Squiddy »

Presumably you're on about the infrastructure Diagnostic Vehicle, or IDV001. It zips up and down all the lines every so often (I'd guess about once a week?) to... Do whatever it does. The tech on it is well beyond my feeble mortal mind but it's certainly full of fancy lasers gizmos and gadgets.

I'm not sure if it's capable of rescuing stranded trains. It's not what it's intended for, anyway.
<smarTTrams>

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Thanks for putting me straight re its function, Squiddy. First time I’ve seen it and I was driving my car so I didn’t manage to see its full name. If I had, I guess I wouldn’t have wrongly surmised its purpose.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

It’s the IDV infrastructure diagnostic vehicle it’s job is to check the line, infrastructure and overhead for faults and improve network reliability it was purchased in 2016 prior to the election

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/infrastr ... b88633091z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<smarTTrams>

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Thanks for the link — it explains all about this diagnostic vehicle.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”