WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by Bus Suggestions »

I know nobody asked, but here's a little typeface trivia I'd like to put in here, as I don't think it really warrants its own thread. I'll try best to cover the period from the MTT's inception (1958) to present-day (2020). I haven't got everything though, so feel free to add what you know!

MTT era

1958-1977 (MTTa, MTTb, MTTc (1st version) & MTTd)
Logo: Can't find it, help appreciated.
Fleet numbers: Mostly seems to be Interstate/Highway Gothic, but the 1 doesn't match.

Special fonts: Original City Clipper font, adorned the front of buses with the likeness of 933. Couldn't find that one.

1977-1986 (MTTc (2nd version))
Logo: Many various options, including Rockwell and Memphis.
Fleet numbers: As said above.

Special fonts: Citylink font, Aharoni (bold, compressed)

Transperth era

1986-1999 (Original livery)
Logo: Aharoni, Futura (bold) or Century Gothic (bold)
Fleet numbers: Futura or Century Gothic.

Special fonts:
TP Citylink font, Century Gothic (bold), except when apparently mistakenly re-applied to 507 (as seen on perthbus.info)
CircleRoute logo font, Gill Sans as follows - Circleroute

1999-2010 (Green and silver inverse stripes, original low-floor livery)
Logo: Kept striped 'T' until ~2004, but font changed to a modified Gill Sans as follows - Transperth - removed serif on 'p'
Fleet numbers: Gill Sans (bold)

2010-circa 2015 (2010 Silver/Green livery)
Logo: Gill Sans as above.

2014-2020 (2010 livery, 2020 livery)
Fleet numbers: Interstate/Highway Gothic, although some buses were delivered with Gill Sans font, e.g. 2172 has Gill Sans stickers.

Special fonts: Marketing and titles, Tabac Sans (Medium/Semi-Bold)

So, that's what I've compiled. Again, feel free to add your own, and do say if I missed out any!
Last edited by Bus Suggestions on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 pm 1999-2010 (Green and silver inverse stripes, original low-floor livery)
Logo: Kept striped 'T' until ~2004, but font changed to a modified Gill Sans as follows - Transperth - removed serif on 'p'

2010-circa 2015 (2010 Silver/Green livery)

2014-2020 (2010 livery, 2020 livery)
Fleet numbers: Interstate/Highway Gothic, although some buses were delivered with Gill Sans font, e.g. 2172 has Gill Sans stickers.

So, that's what I've compiled. Again, feel free to add your own, and do say if I missed out any!
The posters and brochures from 2016 onwards are using the "Tabac Sans" typeface as I know.

The "Interstate" typeface had started to use on the printed timetables from 2007 with the opening of the Mandurah railway line.
Bus Suggestions

Thanks, I forgot to add that under special fonts! Edited accordingly.
sylar

Post by sylar »

Any news on IVECO artic 3002 ?? I havn't seen it for a quite a while now and just discovered it's no longer registered
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

sylar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:21 pm Any news on IVECO artic 3002 ?? I havn't seen it for a quite a while now and just discovered it's no longer registered
It's still around (but off-traffic) as far as I am aware... The rego only expired a few days ago on the 30th so at a guess, they're waiting on parts to arrive from god-knows-where and are probably expecting it to be off-traffic for an extended period of time
Bus Suggestions

I'd like to know from those who have information, when did the old Warwick Bus Station open? Wikipedia reckons 1987, but Landgate (click icon top right, click camera when menu appears and select aerial photography from list on right) shows a structure there since 1983.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Hi just want to ask you some specific question

1. Why does SWan not use special icon like (School, christmas tree) on their desto. Also i just realise that SWan not use new dotted Desto (like the one on Volvo Circle route for Path/Transdev) infact sometimes they use the destination version desto but with normal size (like in 955 example). SWan also tend shorten the word on "Via" (EG: in SWan is Said "Shop Ctr" while for Path & Transdev is Say "Shopping Centre") is it just the program style that Swan cannot follow the other 2 operator.

2.Based on all operator/Contract area is someone know rank from busiest to quietest patronage contract area. I know the busiest is Morley and maybe quietest patronage is SR
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

pasha241 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:17 am 2.Based on all operator/Contract area is someone know rank from busiest to quietest patronage contract area. I know the busiest is Morley and maybe quietest patronage is SR
From the 2018 - 2019 PTA annual report located here: https://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Portals/29/An ... t_2019.pdf

1 - Morley - 10.8M pax
2 - Fremantle - 8.6M pax
3 - Canning - 7.8M pax
4 - Kalamunda - 7.2M pax
5 - Marmion - 7.1M pax
6 - Joondalup - 6.6M pax
7 - Rockingham - 5.7M pax
8 - Claremont - 4.1M pax
9 - Southern River - 3.6M pax
10 - Midland - 2.5M pax

I am not entirely sure how they arrived at those numbers given that total bus boardings amounted to almost 80 million in 2018-19 but the numbers I just listed add up to 64M, but I imagine there's a lot of special routes that aren't included in individual contract area stats, but are included in the total. Should be accurate enough for comparison here, anyway.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Are Joondalup and Marmion area depots back to using the same frequency now that they are under a single operator once again?
Bus Suggestions

Recently out on perthbus.info was a colour picture of TP008 in its experimental inverse arrowhead (MTTc) livery (green top, white bottom, as opposed to standard green bottom and white top), and this made me wonder, is there a listing available for buses which wore experimental liveries? I know 007, 270, and 271 wore the modified gas arrowhead livery, and that there are listings currently available for the CircleRoute buses (although incomplete), Clippers, LincLine, and 900-series buses, but I haven't seen any lists for experimental/prototype liveries (i.e. 1310 with the alternate grey).

And on a related side note, what was 009's experimental livery meant to be? I doubt it were to to go public in all-cyan...
Bus Suggestions

TransGoldfields (Kalgoorlie) is now up for tender. See Tenders WA for more. The current contract with Path will end on October 9 this year, and the new contract will operate from October 10 for 10 years (i.e. until October 9 2031, presumably).

The Kalgoorlie fleet list in the tender documents are as follows:

MB OC500LE
1452-54, 1456, and 2107.

Volvo B7RLE
2300-08.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

And the Kalamunda package is apparently up next year too. Also it seems that Canning and Southern River were extended last year to run till next year. The odds of all 3 packages getting farmed together could be quite high. One of the drivers on the 935 actually said "if Path Transit get Gosnells I'm so going there because I live right in the middle of Gosnells".

Having Path Transit run Kalamunda, Canning and Southern River under a single command area means 75 can go back under CVDEP and 100 and 177 can have most of their duties handled by WPDEP.
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 am
and 100 and 177 can have most of their duties handled by WPDEP.
As opposed to running them from Beckenham (within the Canning contract area) which is a lot closer to Cannington station than Welshpool?
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

busdriver12 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 am
Enviro 500 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 am
and 100 and 177 can have most of their duties handled by WPDEP.
As opposed to running them from Beckenham (within the Canning contract area) which is a lot closer to Cannington station than Welshpool?
IIRC 34 and 72 were run from Beckenham when Swan Transit was in charge. As for 100, Welshpool may be closer to Applecross.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 am
busdriver12 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 am

IIRC 34 and 72 were run from Beckenham when Swan Transit was in charge. As for 100, Welshpool may be closer to Applecross.
Fremantle Depot is closest to Canning Bridge, does that mean the 100 should instead be operated by Transdev by your logic...?

It works fine as it is. No need to change it for the sake of changing it.
Whatsausername

Post by Whatsausername »

What bus routes were replaced/changed by the 950 & 960?

Thanks
Last edited by Whatsausername on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Four, I think. 78 (EQ-UWA), 79 (I think that was WSBS-QE2?), 21 (EQ-Morley) and 22 (EQ-Morley).
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Whatsausername wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48 pm What bus routes were replaced/changed by the 950 & 960?
950 is replace the route

QEII - City
78 (Esplanade - UWA) (although there are a lot of exptension trip to WSBS)
79 (WSBS - QEII)

City - Morley
21 (Esplanade - Morley) (this bus run a bit longer because from Broun Avi run via Embleton then Walter Rd, L Russell St, Morley)
22 (Esplanade - Morley) (this is the exact same as 950 and 66)

960 only Replace 888 and 885,
888 WSBS - Mirrabooka (Run same route as 960)
885 WSBS - ECU (Run same as short route 960)

however, Perth - Curtin section was a plain new route
Whatsausername

Post by Whatsausername »

Also when was route 16 removed and why? Low patronage?
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Squiddy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 am
Enviro 500 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 am

Fremantle Depot is closest to Canning Bridge, does that mean the 100 should instead be operated by Transdev by your logic...?

It works fine as it is. No need to change it for the sake of changing it.
If Transdev snatches Canning, we actually might see some duties of 100 from Palmyra. Most likely crossing over with 148.
Bus Suggestions

Whatsausername wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 am Also when was route 16 removed and why? Low patronage?
Route 16 was officially removed on August 25, 2019, although being a Mon-Fri route, it had its last service on August 23. Poor patronage was cited (through the Transperth strategy of 'death by a thousand cuts').
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Enviro 500 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 am
If Transdev snatches Canning, we actually might see some duties of 100 from Palmyra. Most likely crossing over with 148.
This and previous similar comments are purely speculation and may or may not reflect reality if such scenarios with operators and contracts occurred. Can we please limit the amount of speculation in this thread as it does not contribute meaningfully to the intent of this thread and detracts from other posts in this thread which are likely to be more interesting or meaningful to viewers (such as some recent questions on route changes, info on upcoming tenders etc).
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 am Route 16 was officially removed on August 25, 2019, although being a Mon-Fri route, it had its last service on August 23. Poor patronage was cited (through the Transperth strategy of 'death by a thousand cuts').
Given the 16's proximity to more direct (<500m from the 60, 67 & Alexander Dr services), more frequent routes that actually didn't terminate in the back end of nowhere, it isn't surprising to see that route suffer the fate it ultimately did.

That said, there is no denying the route was slowly frittered away to practically nothing over a long time. I think relocating the route to Perth Busport amounted to deliberate sabotage to kill off patronage. All the times I caught a 16, however, the majority of passengers alighted along parts of the route shared with the 60, a couple went a few stops further. So why the 16 wasn't canned sooner, I don't know.
actually

Post by actually »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm
Bus Suggestions wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 am Route 16 was officially removed on August 25, 2019, although being a Mon-Fri route, it had its last service on August 23. Poor patronage was cited (through the Transperth strategy of 'death by a thousand cuts').
Given the 16's proximity to more direct (<500m from the 60, 67 & Alexander Dr services), more frequent routes that actually didn't terminate in the back end of nowhere, it isn't surprising to see that route suffer the fate it ultimately did.

That said, there is no denying the route was slowly frittered away to practically nothing over a long time. I think relocating the route to Perth Busport amounted to deliberate sabotage to kill off patronage. All the times I caught a 16, however, the majority of passengers alighted along parts of the route shared with the 60, a couple went a few stops further. So why the 16 wasn't canned sooner, I don't know.
I used to do a morning 16 into the city at about 6:50. It would always get a seated load before it joined the 60, then would be full standing load by Walcott St.
I also remember doing 16’s on a Saturday, into and out of the city 5 minutes behind a 60 with only a couple of old ladies on board if anyone at all...definitely the good ol days
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

actually wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:15 pm
Merc1107 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm Given the 16's proximity to more direct (<500m from the 60, 67 & Alexander Dr services), more frequent routes that actually didn't terminate in the back end of nowhere, it isn't surprising to see that route suffer the fate it ultimately did.

I used to do a morning 16 into the city at about 6:50. It would always get a seated load before it joined the 60, then would be full standing load by Walcott St.
I also remember doing 16’s on a Saturday, into and out of the city 5 minutes behind a 60 with only a couple of old ladies on board if anyone at all...definitely the good ol days
When did Saturday trips on 16 stop operating altogether?

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”