Mount Lawley & other 'minor' station upgrades

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

900 series

Mount Lawley & other 'minor' station upgrades

Post by 900 series »

This is more like the Shenton Park and Swanourne upgrades than, say, Bassendean, but still... new shelter, resurfaced platform (presumably with tactiles) and less of a platform gap. Although the ramp will stay unmodified - even though it is still a bit steep!

From http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Projects/MtLaw ... fault.aspx, which also includes some rather bad photoshopping...
Last edited by 900 series on Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q4004
Favourite Vehicle: TP's 1149 1511 1521 1559 1565
Location: Swan Transit Beckenham/Canning Vale Contract Area (Thornlie) and Claisebrook Depot

Re: Mount Lawley Station Upgrade

Post by Q4004 »

There Are Some Stations That Need A Serious Upgrade

Oats Street
Mount Lawley
Kenwick
Maddington
East Guildford
Mercedes Diesel less again :(
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

Well the PTA report mentions some that will be upgraded (as I said before)
pinkbosseslady

Post by pinkbosseslady »

Mt Lawley got its rail replacement stops upgraded last week
900 series

Re: Mount Lawley & other 'minor' station upgrades

Post by 900 series »

Last I saw (a couple of weeks ago), Mount Lawley had received its new shelter, and the majority of the platform had been resurfaced with bricks and tactiles.

Next on the list is Meltham station, which will be receiving a resurfaced/tiled platform on less of a slope, plus upgrades to lighting, signage, seating and handrails. There will also be an increase in the number of parking bays.

From 19th May to 24th June, the station will be closed to accommodate the works.

http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Projects/Melth ... fault.aspx

(Note - I retitled the thread so as to accommodate station upgrades other than Mt Lawley, seeing as there evidently will be a number of upgrades over the coming years...)
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Mt Lawley, Meltham, Queens Park & Beckenham are in this round of upgrades with other stations to follow.
Q4004
Location: Swan Transit Beckenham/Canning Vale Contract Area (Thornlie) and Claisebrook Depot

Post by Q4004 »

TP1462 wrote:Mt Lawley, Meltham, Queens Park & Beckenham are in this round of upgrades with other stations to follow.
Theres been a bit of work happening at Queens Park lately. Be better if the Beckenham down platform was relocated to face the up platform.
hack404

Post by hack404 »

They don't make stations like Meltham any more...
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

the reason why those stations I think (Beckenham & Kenwick) were designed like that is so there is little disruption to traffic flow, although with Beckenham & Kenwick now the rail line should be grade separated from the road and rebuilt as Island stations or the platforms actually closer to each other.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

I think that (in the absence of grade separation for the station) Oats Street should be re-designed to be like Beckenham and Kenwick to minimize traffic flow (i.e. so that a train stopped at the station does not require the boom gates to remain down)
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Yea what about Victoria street? I think Victoria street should actually be grade separated from the level crossing.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

yeah ideally these roads (Oats Street, Victoria Street and others) should be grade separated. But in the absence of grade separation (which is expensive and difficult as seen in Victoria at Springvale Road/Nunawading Station), re-arranging stations to minimize the amount of time the boom gates need to be closed is a good alternative.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Yea grade separation is ideal but expensive, stations really should be re arranged, but knowing the Barnett government anything which doesn't contribute to his wallet will be done on the cheap, if I were in government I would be activately spending more money on key important infrastructure projects.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

PTA wrote:On an average weekday 447 people board at Mt Lawley.
Thought with that kind of utilisation they'd close it due to low patronage, not upgrade it.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

that's not alot of boardings actually, I doubt it would be closed do to low patronage.
hack404

Post by hack404 »

A lot of people from the Mt Lawley catchment go to Maylands because of the poor peak service.
900 series

A not so minor planned upgrade at Beckenham

Post by 900 series »

A fairly substantial upgrade planned, looks like an old-Armadale quality station.

Be interesting to see if split platforms remain.

http://www.oneperth.com.au/2012/06/21/p ... rain-gain/
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Ching-Ching! Now that looks nice.

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Q4004

Post by Q4004 »

Be interesting to see when Beckenham works will start. With Queens Park the two B Pattern services in the afternoon from Perth during the Queens Park closure (which would most likely happen during school holidays with the number of school students using this station) will be amended to C Pattern services.
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

That does look nice, and if the local council do some work around the station it would help. Simple things like new paving, lights, furniture trees and art.
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

Queens Park:
Queens Park Station is being upgraded to meet current disability access standards.

The platform is being levelled and resurfaced - the old bitumen surface will be removed, improved drainage installed, and new paving laid. The new paving will include tactile markers to define key areas for people with vision impairment.

The upgrade will include new access ramps, seating, stainless steel bins, public art, bicycle rails and improved pedestrian track crossings.

Most of the work will be done during the day from Monday to Friday. However, due to the nature of the electric overhead system, some work will need to be done at night after the last train when the power can be switched off.

Work will start in September with completion scheduled for mid-2013.

For project information, email projects@pta.wa.gov.au

For help, or for further information on services, contact Transperth on 13 62 13.

Click here for the Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2012-2017
http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Projects/Queen ... fault.aspx
Q4004

Post by Q4004 »

Read in the report that Maddington station will be next after Queens Park
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Based on knowledge only as i have not lived that way for a while, Even as a school kid back in the 80's, Oats Street traffic has always been an issue. Puting a split platform wil lnot make any difference with the amount of train movement between Perth and Cannington. Personally i think the track should be sunk between Welshpool and Victoria Park and be gone with all boom gates along that section. Welshpool Rd, Oats St, Mint St will all get a smoother run. When i say sunk, i dont mean tunnelling just to clarify as that is far more expensive than just lowering. It will however mean 3 new stations will be required though. Simply thought this for a long time as a practical solution but we all know, where will the money come from and how much of a priority is it?
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Leyland B21 wrote:Based on knowledge only as i have not lived that way for a while, Even as a school kid back in the 80's, Oats Street traffic has always been an issue. Puting a split platform wil lnot make any difference with the amount of train movement between Perth and Cannington. Personally i think the track should be sunk between Welshpool and Victoria Park and be gone with all boom gates along that section. Welshpool Rd, Oats St, Mint St will all get a smoother run. When i say sunk, i dont mean tunnelling just to clarify as that is far more expensive than just lowering. It will however mean 3 new stations will be required though. Simply thought this for a long time as a practical solution but we all know, where will the money come from and how much of a priority is it?
Grade seperation should be done on all lines but it's extremely expensive and timely but in the end it's worth it, i think all the remaining stations are going to rebuilt, i agree there is no point building split platforms at oats street, grade seperation would also reduce the amount of accidents & fatalities around rail crossings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os7LDC_E ... ture=plcp- an ambulance waiting for a train to cross taken by the PTUA (public transport users association) in melbourne which in itself completely justifies grade seperation.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

Its been said on this forum before but in my opinion, Oats Street is the one rail crossing most in need of grade separation (in terms of the amount of pain it causes to road users)
Just do what they did in Melbourne at Nunawading station and sink Oats St Station.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”