Getting started questions

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
supagu

Getting started questions

Post by supagu »

I've just done some initial investigations into getting a bus converted to a motorhome, as I am thinking about traveling around Australia.
I have my M.R vehicle license, is this all I need license wise?

I am wondering what I should be looking for when purchasing a bus.
I am also wondering what the living costs are like - how much does a bus service cost, how often should you get the vehicle serviced. Is there free camping in the country (i.e. if you pull up on a random road and stay there a few nights/weeks is this do-able?). What are the typical rego costs. What are the typical fuel costs.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Getting started questions

Post by boronia »

Provided the bus only has two axles, the MR licence should be enough. You can tow a small trailer with this as well. Three axles will require HR.

The other questions are in the "how long is a piece of string?" category, there are so many variables. You really need to compare vehicle by vehicle.

The other question you need to ask is "how hard/expensive will it be to get parts if something breaks?" Again something dependent on make/model/age.

It is often recommended that you consider buying an already converted vehicle, to avoid many of the nasties that you will find if you try to do the work yourself.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
supagu

Re: Getting started questions

Post by supagu »

Thanks for your response.

Does any one have any sample data for their own bus on regard to costs and living expenses so I have at least some idea of what to roughly expect?

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”