New Member / Just Purchased a Toyota Coaster

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
north-coast-charters

New Member / Just Purchased a Toyota Coaster

Post by north-coast-charters »

G day all

Long time Reader first time poster.

I've just purchased my self a 2002 Toyota coaster which is in full Mine Spec at Present, The sticker residue on the drivers door and down the sides suggests it previously belonged to G&S Engineering up in QLD with some of the service stickers on the door jams hinting at the Mackay area.

It's a little rough around the edges cosmetically but Mechanically sound, As contact with G&S said it was last serviced at 230,000km and rego expired on the 6th of April 2019. It's now got 233,000km showing on the odometre and the drive from Mackay QLD to Tamworth NSW where it is currently with 233,000km on the odometre.

All it needs Mechanically is a rear Bumper, Front right headlight, Both front corner indicators / parkers (they are complete but cracked lenses), New Exhaust, Couple of minor dents pulled out which can probably be done with paintless dent removal, A new exhaust and a good detail inside and out.

The biggest issue it has is a bit of wiring around the batteries is damaged and do you think I can find a workshop manual, Schematic or clear photos to show how it's meant to be. That way I can actually replace / repair those bits of wiring and put batteries in it to start it without the possibility of it arking out grounding and turning my Coaster Crispy, So if any one can shed some light on it that'd be great I got 2 quick photo's of it when I was at the Bus on Friday. If I can figure out the wiring and get the required parts to do a repair or replacement, I'll be chuffed and make the 270km drive from Tamworth to Port Macquarie over the Walcha Mountains via the Oxley highway a less stressful one.

The photo's are
Coaster Battery wiring.jpg
Coaster Battery wiring.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
This is the main bit of damaged wiring directly under the batteries, Would it be as simple as getting a new bit of battery cable with a new eyelet lug on each end. Then simply unbolting each end putting the new piece in and Bob's your Aunt, As I rather Replace it over repairing it.
Mystery Wiring.jpg
Mystery Wiring.jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
I'm not sure what this leads to as it runs along the Chassis rail and stops under the batteries, The only place it seems to reach to is the Battery and Starter isloation switches which are mounted on the side of the stair well between the stairs and batteries. The Duct tape on it looks and feels like it has been on there for a while as it was crispy in places and had that slimey sticky feel to it as I tried to peel it, Almost like electrical tape after its been in an engine bay for a while.

Other then those little niggles it looks like it'll clean up to be a decent bus, I'm happy to put a little work into it considering I only paid $6000 for it. So if I call it say $10,000 on road I'll be cheering, As it's even got Style Ride seats in it with the QLD Mod plate for them which means 3 point seat belts high backs lumber and bolster support over the standard Coaster Seats.
Coaster side.jpg
Coaster side.jpg (118.67 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
As the main reason I bought it is because as My User name suggests of "North Coast Charters", That's what I do for work I generally drive hired Mini Buses for Sports Teams, Bucks Night, Even transfers etc. But over the 2019 Community Sport Season and this years shortened "COVID Cup" we've spent close to $20,000 on Bus rentals alone. So I did all my research spoke to the folks I generally regulary drive for and said if I start my own Business would you guys be interested, They all said yes because the company they normally hire the buses from is a "Sponsor" and is supposed to give them a discount on Rentals as part of the Sponsorship.

But that company has been playing difficult over the past couple of months, So the sports teams are hoping to give them the flick and bring me on as a Sponsor with North Coast Charters. So the 2002 Coaster will be a starter bus to test the waters over the next 12 - 18 months, Then hopefully as things get better in the world. I'll be able to add additional newer Toyota Coasters and Mitsubishi Rosa's to the fleet.

So does anyone have any ideas about that wiring and if it's an easy fix, Also if anyone has a factory workshop manual for the Coasters (mines a HZB50R) that'd be even better or even a schematic for the battery starting / charging wiring. That way I can at least repair it and drive it the 270km home safely, As the Walcha Mountains is a great drive along the Oxley highway but challenging enough without adding dodgey wiring to the mix.

As the trip home will give the trusty 1HZ a good work out, Because anyone thats driven that route will know how twisty up and down it is. 270km and 160km of those are through the twisties, I can find plenty of stuff for the Land Cruisers but not Coaster specific.

Thanks for your help in advance ladies and Gents.
Bearkane

Re: New Member / Just Purchased a Toyota Coaster

Post by Bearkane »

I'm also a newbie here.I even don't know much about it. But I would like to learn about it. Thanks

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”