Scania K93 Coolant Leaking from Head/s

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
JasonMichelle

Scania K93 Coolant Leaking from Head/s

Post by JasonMichelle »

My wife and I bought our first project which is only half fitted out so we were pretty excited to finish it.From research it is a Scania JCB Coach with a K93 DC9 05 engine. A turbo inline 6cyl.
The guy we bought it of us told us he was a mechanic and the coach would go around Australia many times! However we have been lied to and ripped off. When I looked over the bus there was no oil or coolant and I presume now he pressure cleaned it because after driving 230km home I found coolant and oil all over the left hand side of the engine. I degreased the engine and ran it and it looks like the coolant seeps out of the the heads and the oil is seeping out of the rocker cover gaskets.By the time I got home there wasn't even oil left on the dipstick and the coolant reserver was half empty.
I have worked and built many petrol race engines (Holden,Chev,Ford,Hemi) in my time but only a few diesel engines so I'm a little lost on the issue.
I learnt they have a Oring head gasket and rules out the head gasket as i note there is no coolant in the oil.
I am now wondering if it has a cracked head or block.
I noted the heads come of individually.
I'm presume I should pressurerize the coolant system to help find the coolant leak and do a compression test.
Has anyone here had the same issue?Or suggestions.
Any info is very much appreciated.
04/93 Scania JCB Coach K93 CRB
Model: PMC 160
Body -2268
Type: D9 9 05
Engine: 5108327
Variant B 07
ax8

Re: Scania K93 Coolant Leaking from Head/s

Post by ax8 »

I've got a K93 as well, it had oil leaking from the rocker covers but was an easy fix, also had a coolant leak which looked to be coming from the coolant manifold, new gasket stopped the leak but now after 3000km's getting a small leak which looks to be coming from the heads, not really worried about it unless it gets worse but will deal with it when back at home in a few months.
JasonMichelle

Re: Scania K93 Coolant Leaking from Head/s

Post by JasonMichelle »

This what I thought, the oil and rocker covers are a easy fix, but the coolant leak is a worry for me as it's far bit.
Looking beyween the block and the cyl heads it looks like most gaskets are new as they are still shinny except 1 which looks like it's not leaking.Ive read New gaskets leak for abit before sealing, I hope this is the case.
04/93 Scania JCB Coach K93 CRB
Model: PMC 160
Body -2268
Type: D9 9 05
Engine: 5108327
Variant B 07

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”